Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put on Wage Subsidy Scheme - Will this affect mortgage application?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

As I have said plenty of people on the scheme are 100% safe in their jobs and know it and/or they are in a joint mortgage application where the second salary (not in the scheme) could easily meet the repayment but obviously this would not meet the 3.5 rule.

How can they be 100% safe in their job if the state has to pay part of their wages
    How many people on EWSS from today would be laid off if the EWSS was stopped immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

brisan wrote: »
    How can they be 100% safe in their job if the state has to pay part of their wages
    How many people on EWSS from today would be laid off if the EWSS was stopped immediately.

Nobody knows.

Just like if a businesses creditors all called in their debts, or business premises went on fire, or was flooded, etc etc.

Absolutely no job is 100% safe.

You seem to be very emotionally invested in this. Are you the head of a bank or something?

Sonrisa wrote: »
    Nobody knows.

Just like if a businesses creditors all called in their debts, or business premises went on fire, or was flooded, etc etc.

Absolutely no job is 100% safe.

You seem to be very emotionally invested in this. Are you the head of a bank or something?

No but as a tax payer I am still paying for the mistakes the banks made in the lead up 08 crash and I do not want to see a repeat,as I hope you do not either.

No but as a tax payer I am still paying for the mistakes the banks made in the lead up 08 crash and I do not want to see a repeat,as I hope you do not either.

Nope but I'd also like to buy a house some time reasonably soon.

The rent I pay would easily pay the mortgage on a three bedroom house.

Lots of other people here are in the same situation. Have a bit of empathy.

Nope but I'd also like to buy a house some time reasonably soon.

The rent I pay would easily pay the mortgage on a three bedroom house.

Lots of other people here are in the same situation. Have a bit of empathy.

Oh I have empathy
    I have 3 kids who struggled to get a deposit together to buy a house
    They got there eventually but it was not easy.
    I know how hard it is for FTBs
    I was one 38 years ago.
    However that does not mean I agree with banks taking unnecessary risks with taxpayers money.
    If your employer is accepting EWSS then they have admitted there is a downturn in business,and by default that means without EWSS he would have to let a certain numbers of employees go ie make them redundant as thern is not enough work.
    No one knows if that downturn will correct itself by the time the EWSS is discontinued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have you read what you posted
    You contradicted yourself and proved my point

Eh no, I didn’t, and you didn’t.

The Government were very clear that applying for TWSS was not an indication of insolvency. A company could have huge cash reserves, but if income/orders were reduced as a result of Covid, the business was entitled to apply for TWSS and now EWSS. You are absolutely incorrect that it is a statement that an employer is unable to pay wages.

Please stop spouting this BS.

Moreover, I think you mentioned on another thread that you are an electrician, if you are a contractor and take on 20 electricians to wire a development and the development closes unexpectedly, but you still have some smaller jobs which don’t require as many electricians, do you keep all electricians on your books even though you have no work for them? Does that mean you are unable to pay your remaining employees wages? This is what businesses were faced with in March when the country closed down and no one knew it would reopen, TWSS was to help stop people being laid off and having to claim PUP.

Oh I have empathy
    I have 3 kids who struggled to get a deposit together to buy a house
    They got there eventually but it was not easy.
    I know how hard it is for FTBs
    I was one 38 years ago.
    However that does not mean I agree with banks taking unnecessary risks with taxpayers money.
    If your employer is accepting EWSS then they have admitted there is a downturn in business,and by default that means without EWSS he would have to let a certain numbers of employees go ie make them redundant as thern is not enough work.
    No one knows if that downturn will correct itself by the time the EWSS is discontinued

Not really hearing the empathy, buddy. You really don't need to be constantly returning to this thread to tell people that their concerns are ridiculous, their jobs are doomed and sure they should just give up completely. I hope you were more encouraging to your kids when they were trying to buy.

" by default that means without EWSS he would have to let a certain numbers of employees go ie make them redundant as thern is not enough work."

This is patently not true and you've been told this a number of times, but you clearly don't care or understand. What about businesses that have already let people go? They've made the necessary cuts but still qualify for the scheme.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Eh no, I didn’t, and you didn’t.

The Government were very clear that applying for TWSS was not an indication of insolvency. A company could have huge cash reserves, but if income/orders were reduced as a result of Covid, the business was entitled to apply for TWSS and now EWSS. You are absolutely incorrect that it is a statement that an employer is unable to pay wages.

Please stop spouting this BS.

Moreover, I think you mentioned on another thread that you are an electrician, if you are a contractor and take on 20 electricians to wire a development and the development closes unexpectedly, but you still have some smaller jobs which don’t require as many electricians, do you keep all electricians on your books even though you have no work for them? Does that mean you are unable to pay your remaining employees wages? This is what businesses were faced with in March when the country closed down and no one knew it would reopen, TWSS was to help stop people being laid off and having to claim PUP.

Exactly TWSS was to stop people being laid off and when EWSS is stopped if busines has not come back to previous levels then people will be laid off.
    Its not BS its common sense.
    i feel for those who cannot get a mortgage because of EWSS , but which would you prefer , a mortgage or a job
    PS I never mentioned insolvency I mentioned the fact that an employer could not pay his wage bill in full

PS I never mentioned insolvency I mentioned the fact that an employer could not pay his wage bill in full

But that’s not correct, an employer could very well pay their wage bill in full but of course they will take the free money on offer if they can get it.

Not really hearing the empathy, buddy. You really don't need to be constantly returning to this thread to tell people that their concerns are ridiculous, their jobs are doomed and sure they should just give up completely. I hope you were more encouraging to your kids when they were trying to buy.

" by default that means without EWSS he would have to let a certain numbers of employees go ie make them redundant as thern is not enough work."

This is patently not true and you've been told this a number of times, but you clearly don't care or understand. What about businesses that have already let people go? They've made the necessary cuts but still qualify for the scheme.

Less of the buddy please ,if you cannot be civil please do not respond to my posts .
    Any business who suffers a sudden downturn in orders has 2 options
    Use cash reserves to weather the storm
    Let enough employees go so their workforce matches their orders or income
    By accepting TWSS and now EWSS they did not have to use either of their options
    When EWSS stops IF business has not returned to previous levels they will be left with those 2 options again
    Most employers will go the redundancy route.
    Do you think the banks are taking the course of action that they are just to annoy and mess people about.
    There are economic and business reasons behind their decisions a

• Advertisement

But that’s not correct, an employer could very well pay their wage bill in full but of course they will take the free money on offer if they can get it.

Agreed some could and some would not have the reserves to do so and would have to let employees go
    IBEC have sated that redundancies would be inevitable if a government subsidy was not put in place
    Banks unfortunately do not know which businesses would struggle to pay wages and which would not

Exactly TWSS was to stop people being laid off and when EWSS is stopped if busines has not come back to previous levels then people will be laid off.
    Its not BS its common sense.
    i feel for those who cannot get a mortgage because of EWSS , but which would you prefer , a mortgage or a job

Brisan, again, I’m not sure if I can make this any simpler for you, a business is required only to show that income/orders have fallen as a result of Covid, they are NOT required to show that they are unable to pay wages, nor is it an indication that they are unable to do so.

Why are you continuing to post this rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Brisan, again, I’m not sure if I can make this any simpler for you, a business is required only to show that income/orders have fallen as a result of Covid, they are NOT required to show that they are unable to pay wages, nor is it an indication that they are unable to do so.

Would you agree that it's at least an indication that their current level of turnover is not proportional to their current staffing level/wage bill?

Because its common sense
    Any business that has a 30% downturn in orders income will struggle to pay all their employees their full wages ,unless they are prepared to use up cash reserves
    A lot of companies will not have those reserves and those that have may not be prepared to use them when they lay off staff to prevent them doing so
    Its a basic premise that all businesses work to.
    You only have enough staff to carry out the necessary work

Because its common sense
    Any business that has a 30% downturn in orders income will struggle to pay all their employees their full wages ,unless they are prepared to use up cash reserves
    A lot of companies will not have those reserves and those that have may not be prepared to use them when they lay off staff to prevent them doing so

You are speculating, in your earlier post you posted that an employer is stating that they cannot pay their staff. Please show me where the application for TWSS required that an employer state they are unable to pay their staff.

javaboy wrote: »
    Would you agree that it's at least an indication that their current level of turnover is not proportional to their current staffing level/wage bill?

It is an indication that the employer has met the required reduction in income/orders as a result of Covid to qualify for the scheme. Anything else is speculation and most certainly not a “statement” that an employer is unable to pay staff.

It is an indication that the employer has met the required reduction in income/orders as a result of Covid to qualify for the scheme. Anything else is speculation and most certainly not a “statement” that an employer is unable to pay staff.
    Says it all
    if your income reduces your costs have to reduce or you go out of business

Because its common sense

You would need to take profitability into account too. The drop of 30% is likely the cream taken off the top they may be well able to operate at 70% or so while still covering all costs, wages etc.

I’m actually surprised people are seeing 30% as such a detrimental drop, I would have expected most business to be able to still break even or close to it at 70% or else things are really on a knife edge.

You would need to take profitability into account too. The drop of 30% is likely the cream taken off the top they may be well able to operate at 70% or so while still covering all costs, wages etc.

I’m actually surprised people are 30% as such a huge drop, I would have expected most business to be able to still break even or close to it at 70% or else things are really on a knife edge.

Do you think an employer is going to forsake his cream so his employees will not be affected

Do you think an employer is going to forsake his cream so his employees will not be affected

The work still has to get done.

If we dropped 30%* of projects it would just give us a chance to catch up on everything to be honest we would still need every member of staff.

I’d expect once they are able to pay their own salaries etc that business owners would forgo company profits if needed to keep a team intact etc but maybe that just the area of work I’m in where good people are hard to get and keep.

*we were not impacted by covid at all.

• Advertisement

The work still has to get done.

If we dropped 30%* of projects it would just give us a chance to catch up on everything to be honest we would still need every member of staff.

I’d expect once they are able to pay their own salaries etc that business owners would forgo company profits if needed to keep a team intact etc but maybe that just the area of work I’m in where good people are hard to get and keep.

*we were not impacted by covid at all.

Thats your business and thats good
    Take a manufacturer making 1000 units a week with 10 employees
    If he only has orders for 500 units a week what does he do
    Forsake all his profits
    Use up his cash reserves
    Lay off 5 employees
    Accept State assistance
    The first 2 will be the last resort of any business
    granted he may swallow the pain if he thinks by laying off staff he may not get suitably qualified staff if and when the upturn returns,
    However one thing I have learned in 38 years working in a multinational is that no one is irreplaceable

Thats your business and thats good
    Take a manufacturer making 1000 units a week with 10 employees
    If he only has orders for 500 units a week what does he do
    Forsake all his profits
    Use up his cash reserves
    Lay off 5 employees
    Accept State assistance
    The first 2 will be the last resort of any business
    granted he may swallow the pain if he thinks by laying off staff he may not get suitably qualified staff if and when the upturn returns,
    However one thing I have learned in 38 years working in a multinational is that no one is irreplaceable

What if most of the 10 employees have different skill sets needed for different parts of the manufacturing process?

What if most of the 10 employees have different skill sets needed for different parts of the manufacturing process?

Well then the employer should have made certain of cross skilling
    Fairly standard in most modern industries today
    I mean what do you do to cover holidays ,sickness etc,

Well then the employer should have made certain of cross skilling
    Fairly standard in most modern industries today
    I mean what do you do to cover holidays ,sickness etc,

You seem to make a whole lot of assumptions.

You seem to make a whole lot of assumptions.

Cross skilling is fairly standard across all industry nowadays

https://outsourceinstitute.com.au/cross-skilling-trades/

Cross skilling is fairly standard across all industry nowadays

https://outsourceinstitute.com.au/cross-skilling-trades/

This is all speculation, and doesn't relate to the purpose of the thread at all. Your input is unhelpful and largely irrelevant.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

My wife is now getting the EWSS scheme , shes in childcare ( montessori) , they are automatically getting the scheme.

The employer is still getting in the cash flow ( for the extra half an hour each day ) , getting the ECCE scheme for each child , and has added an extra class this year.

They said the business has never been stronger. And no where near a 30% decline.

I could still be in a pickle on drawing down a mortgage now with the childcare setting receiving this but yet the business is thriving.

This is all speculation, and doesn't relate to the purpose of the thread at all. Your input is unhelpful and largely irrelevant.

My reply was in answer to a question posed
    Your input seems to be mainly complaining with no meaningful contribution
    The banks attitude to TWSS/EWSS is what it is and for good business reasons .
    No amount of complaining or debate will alter that fact.

My reply was in answer to a question posed
    Your input seems to be mainly complaining with no meaningful contribution
    The banks attitude to TWSS/EWSS is what it is and for good business reasons .
    No amount of complaining or debate will alter that fact.

Well that put me back in my box. Such good insight. Really helpful for anyone applying for a mortgage. You should set up as a mortgage broker. In fact I'm surprised the banks haven't hired you to do their comms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    My wife is now getting the EWSS scheme , shes in childcare ( montessori) , they are automatically getting the scheme.

The employer is still getting in the cash flow ( for the extra half an hour each day ) , getting the ECCE scheme for each child , and has added an extra class this year.

They said the business has never been stronger. And no where near a 30% decline.

I could still be in a pickle on drawing down a mortgage now with the childcare setting receiving this but yet the business is thriving.

It’s scandalous really. The whole sector of workers put on it without a choice because the government wanted to pump money into it and did it in this ridiculous way.

Let’s be clear, no childcare job is under threat anytime soon. Why banks won’t consider this is beyond me, particular as the revenue make clear that childcare has an exemption and does not have to have lost money.

Advertisement