Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Pistols.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

514708.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

102680311_4684639818213626_7111112208515748019_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=wMGo7cUeaUIAX8k89I_&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=64e9ce5e6c7bb1137eef0dec4f4e9571&oe=5F06FB75

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

102901036_3493457517381509_6984297883249908824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=RuYQYPhqHqYAX-i-mZo&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=08181b140bd31c5aa61864b378c2d523&oe=5F0637DB

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're maligning Satan. Nothing in scripture says that he convinced two people to eat a fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah you're right there, it was a talking snake... but throughout my formation as a good Catholic it was, if not stated, at least strongly implied, that the snake was either the Devil or an agent of same.

raptorevil.jpg

and yes, once upon a time I really, really wanted to be a good Catholic - and my mother wanted me to be an altar boy and graduate to be a priest

But no matter how hard I tried to be good, and despite going to mass with my parents every week, and even praying, I felt nothing. Nothing at all was happening. Then I read science books which explained how life evolved, and that threw the old Genesis story out of the window. Religion felt all made up. I was eight. I was now an atheist but I didn't know what it was.
    I could tell no-one.

The only time I ever heard the word "atheist" in my childhood was in relation to the former owner of the laundrette in Crumlin. He was a troubled man (didn't fit into the Catholic sexual orthodoxy, perhaps?) who flung himself off the top of the Ballymun flats. I asked innocently, was that a sin, would he go to heaven etc. and my devout mam was probably troubled by that question, I was told that he didn't believe in god (I remember that bit, and asking what an atheist was) and that that meant it probably wasn't a sin? (not too sure about that bit, maybe she said he'd be forgiven or some shyte)

But despite the splattery outcome in his case, the idea that you could exist and not believe in god planted a seed :)

Life ain't always empty.

Yeah you're right there, it was a talking snake... but throughout my formation as a good Catholic it was, if not stated, at least strongly implied, that the snake was either the Devil or an agent of same.
    Yeah, I know. But if you're going to go full biblical literalist and accuse God of being responsible for genocide, slavery, etc you can't go all metaphorical to blame Satan for that business with the the fruit. The serpent was just a serpent.

Well the serpent got a right telling off - crawling on his belly and eating dust for the rest of his life and all that (but wasn't that what he was doing anyway?) - and of course Eve and her successors were condemned to have a hard time birthing large brained babies, but... wasn't that what they were going to have to do anyway?

So what was in it for the serpent? and weren't we told that satan could influence people (and, presumably, creatures) just as god could?

Of course the idea of the continued existence of a personification of evil, despite a supposedly all-powerful god, kinda raises questions your local priest will hand-wave away or seek to rapidly change the subject :)

Woot, 20000th post :cool:

Life ain't always empty.

Well, since you ask . . .
    Well the serpent got a right telling off - crawling on his belly and eating dust for the rest of his life and all that (but wasn't that what he was doing anyway?) . . .
    The implication of the curse is that, no, he wasn’t doing that before. So pre-Fall serpents stood upright, conversed with humans and were shrewd. How do we know the last bit? The one thing we are told about the serpent when he is first introduced is that he “was the most cunning of all the wild animals that the LORD God had made”. (Another pointer, incidentally, that the serpent is not Satan since Satan is not a wild animal.)
    . . . and of course Eve and her successors were condemned to have a hard time birthing large brained babies, but... wasn't that what they were going to have to do anyway?
    If we can buy pre-Fall serpents standing upright and talking, it’s not a big ask to accept that pre-Fall humans could reproduce in some fashion attended by less effort and pain than the one we are now familiar with, surely?
    So what was in it for the serpent? and weren't we told that satan could influence people (and, presumably, creatures) just as god could?
    We’re told nothing about Satan; he doesn’t appear at all in this text, or indeed in any text composed within several hundred years of it. Identifying the serpent with Satan is some serious retcon.

What’s in it for the serpent? Well, what’s in it for anyone in the story - the serpent, the man, the woman? They all end up worse off. Even God ends up worse off. If this story has a moral, it’s something like “If you can fûck things up for yourself, you will. And if you fûck things up for yourself, you’ll probably fûck them up for me as well”. Which isn’t exactly cheery, but maybe it’s an important life lesson.
    Of course the idea of the continued existence of a personification of evil, despite a supposedly all-powerful god, kinda raises questions your local priest will hand-wave away or seek to rapidly change the subject :)
    Never mind personification of evil; the continued existence of evil in any form raises those questions.
    Woot, 20000th post :cool:
    Congratulations! I'm in awe of all your zeroes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Where did the funny go?

Just asking like.....

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Where did the funny go?

Just asking like.....

Well, actually discussing the bible as an accurate text IS funny

Well, actually discussing the bible as an accurate text IS funny

True.

But sometimes a person wants to see it visually represented.

True.

But sometimes a person wants to see it visually represented.

You might regret that ;)

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSJnFMe63ZstFN-gTT_zB_a_3dU5BWahCZeXF2sg8QaZGpgIt1k&usqp=CAU

smacl wrote: »
    You might regret that ;)

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSJnFMe63ZstFN-gTT_zB_a_3dU5BWahCZeXF2sg8QaZGpgIt1k&usqp=CAU

Not as much as Adam will... :D

83298557_10217937924024375_4532365452974355947_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=v2aM0Eroa9EAX9Css61&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=44cd930dab0a54541ce3ee4c037ea997&oe=5F0FBB9F

They've done it again...

Experts call for regulation after latest botched art restoration in Spain

Conservation experts in Spain have called for a tightening of the laws covering restoration work after a copy of a famous painting by the baroque artist Bartolomé Esteban Murillo became the latest in a long line of artworks to suffer a damaging and disfiguring repair.

A private art collector in Valencia was reportedly charged €1,200 by a furniture restorer to have the picture of the Immaculate Conception cleaned. However, the job did not go as planned and the face of the Virgin Mary was left unrecognisable despite two attempts to restore it to its original state.

The case has inevitably resulted in comparisons with the infamous “Monkey Christ” incident eight years ago, when a devout parishioner’s attempt to restore a painting of the scourged Christ on the wall of a church on the outskirts of the north-eastern Spanish town of Borja made headlines around the world.

517481.png

(Now of course destruction of priceless artwork isn't funny, but this thread seemed the best fit...)

Life ain't always empty.

A private art collector in Valencia was reportedly charged €1,200 by a furniture restorer to have the picture of the Immaculate Conception cleaned.

Next week - collector pays sculptor $1500 to repair Chippendale cabinet....I mean what could possibly go wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Next week - collector pays sculptor $1500 to repair Chippendale cabinet....I mean what could possibly go wrong....

reminds me of the chandelier episode of only fools and horses.

That's exactly what went through my mind the other day when I read that the National History Museum ('Dead Zoo') is looking for a firm to take down the whale skeleton suspended from its planned-to-be-restored roof...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I only believe 12.5% of the Bible. That makes me an eighth-theist

Stolen from @dadsaysjokes

• Advertisement

105605400_3015771375175652_8114535085650018073_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=BI_gQmKoGj8AX9IClTt&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=ef025c336b9a0d38fe1bdf33e4980bc7&oe=5F23D6EB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

518862.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

106747272_3594870257240234_7465739408820954085_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=t3WdbT_RpWkAX9NdvJ1&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=6df9488b0b06a89f1f974b7b0e405ae6&oe=5F2BA9D5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 NelsonsElbow

I believe in the candyman, he gonna come around again. Anywho all the cool kids know Jerry Garcia is God

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I believe in the candyman, he gonna come around again. ...............

The original is a good horror flick. Whether the new "reboot" is any good we'll have to wait and see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

From @ceciliebirkdehli on insta, comes this splendid new facemask for a valued religious family member, friend or colleague. No plans for mass - haw, haw - manufacture yet:

519458.jpg

robindch wrote: »
    From @ceciliebirkdehli on insta, comes this splendid new facemask for a valued religious family member, friend or colleague. No plans for mass - haw, haw - manufacture yet:

519458.jpg

Holy Bling Batman.

There are no filters in those...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There are no filters in those...

Jesus is the filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

image.png

Advertisement