Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Irish Fjord Swim

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

so who is taking part in this again this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Gutted they've changed the course.

Really enjoyed it last year but a lot of that was due to the uniqueness of jumping off the boat and swimming in.

Not sure if others on here feel the same? I have it down as a maybe at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

kneejerk wrote: »
    Gutted they've changed the course.

Really enjoyed it last year but a lot of that was due to the uniqueness of jumping off the boat and swimming in.

Not sure if others on here feel the same? I have it down as a maybe at the moment.
    Yeah we're the same. Not gone on the route change. Did loads of open water stuff early on in the year and was really looking forward to it but haven't swam in 2 months so still thinking bout it

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I did this last year as well and it was a highlight of the year but that was because you got to jump the boat into fjord, it was really different..now it's just another beach swim..was so disappointed when I heard. Is it really worth it to travel all the way over there for a 2k beach swim..not this year for me I think.
    Supposedly it was requested by the swimmers..did they reduce the price now there is no need to hire the boat??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    I did this last year as well and it was a highlight of the year but that was because you got to jump the boat into fjord, it was really different..now it's just another beach swim..was so disappointed when I heard. Is it really worth it to travel all the way over there for a 2k beach swim..not this year for me I think.
    Supposedly it was requested by the swimmers..did they reduce the price now there is no need to hire the boat??

€35 is very expensive for a 2km swim alright, it's a commercial event, so will charge what the market will bear which it has been to date. i'm not doing it, too late in season and an expensive proposition including travel anyways.

• Advertisement

I'm signed up to do it. Loved last year but was a bit annoyed that the tide turned the way it did for wave two, it meant I had no way of measuring myself against wave 1. I guess this may not be the case for everyone but as I'm usually looking to place, if an out and back means an equal race for all, I don't mind. Still a lovely weekend in a great part of the country. A gang of us going down so we'll make the most of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Signed up as soon as it opened, looking for a spare seat in a car on Friday if anyone is heading down, going to stay the weekend. Really looking forward to it.

I will admit the tide was horrible last year felt like I was going backwards at times

biomed32 wrote: »
    Signed up as soon as it opened, looking for a spare seat in a car on Friday if anyone is heading down, going to stay the weekend. Really looking forward to it.

I will admit the tide was horrible last year felt like I was going backwards at times

Yeah it was really tough, I will see how my car situation is and keep you posted closer the time. Where are you staying down there?

Killary adventure center they had a special on accommodation for fjord swimmers so took them up on the impromptu holiday. Cheers for the heads up on the car space, last year I hiked from Maam cross, not that I was complaining, the weather was amazing!

biomed32 wrote: »
    Killary adventure center they had a special on accommodation for fjord swimmers so took them up on the impromptu holiday. Cheers for the heads up on the car space, last year I hiked from Maam cross, not that I was complaining, the weather was amazing!

weather was fab last year, didnt know the adventure centre was doing deals, wish I'd seen that. We are staying in sleepzone acoss the road on the banks of the water, cozy little spot.

• Advertisement

Handy, I think its run by the same people in Galway City, good people

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Anyone look for money back as the terms of race have changed? I only signed up because of the unique selling point of jumping into the fjord from a boat and a beech swim would only appeal to me if it was beside me at this time of the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

DK man wrote: »
    Anyone look for money back as the terms of race have changed? I only signed up because of the unique selling point of jumping into the fjord from a boat and a beech swim would only appeal to me if it was beside me at this time of the year...

can understand your disappointed since it's different than what you expected but i'd be very surprised if refunds were given based on a change like that.

Advertisement