Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-03-2018, 20:55   #61
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooey View Post
I did the gamsat years ago. One thing that someone suggested to me in the science paper was to go through quickly and do the ones that I could answer straight away and could answer well. I sat it twice-the first year I started at the beginning and went through them numerically. I did so much better the next year results-wise when I did all the ones I could answer quickly and then went back on the others. Best of luck!
Good advice! I answered numerically, but I felt pretty good for section III going into the exam. Did you end up doing GEM? If so, any insights?
Advertisement
17-03-2018, 21:48   #62
ilovesmecounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial12 View Post
Don't feel guilty for taking breaks! You're on the home stretch now. Hope it goes well for you and that you can get a place in Dublin (what's your first choice - UCD or RCSI?).
Much of a muchness really, I don't mind. Both appeal to me for various reasons. RCSI has a great research culture and went to both open evenings and I felt it had a better 'vibe' than UCD (It'd want to, since it costs more than the rest of them!). UCD is a little cheaper, and seems to have access to places that are easier to get to. It's also just over the road. I really haven't given that a second's thought, as the focus was improving on my score. In fact, I can't even remember what order I put down on my CAO! Where are you leaning toward?
17-03-2018, 22:30   #63
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesmecounty View Post
Much of a muchness really, I don't mind. Both appeal to me for various reasons. RCSI has a great research culture and went to both open evenings and I felt it had a better 'vibe' than UCD (It'd want to, since it costs more than the rest of them!). UCD is a little cheaper, and seems to have access to places that are easier to get to. It's also just over the road. I really haven't given that a second's thought, as the focus was improving on my score. In fact, I can't even remember what order I put down on my CAO! Where are you leaning toward?
UCD for me. I really like their course structure, I think it would suit me best overall. I'm halfway through the UCD vs RCSI thread here and it's a good read (haven't read it in a weeks though, must finish it one of the days ). My undergrad was a Science degree, so some of the modules in first year UCD I should have a solid background in. I was impressed with the campus at the open evening, and I think their clinical network is better than RCSI. All of the courses have pros and cons, we'll all end up with the same degree at the end one way or another.

I've also Applied to ScotGEM in St. Andrews, won't know if I'm called for interview until end of April/May though.
19-03-2018, 20:39   #64
e1994

Bit of a side note but does anyone know what the parking situation is like around O'Reilly hall? I really don't want to be stressed looking for a place Saturday morning!
19-03-2018, 20:54   #65
chooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial12 View Post
Good advice! I answered numerically, but I felt pretty good for section III going into the exam. Did you end up doing GEM? If so, any insights?
No I did graduate entry veterinary. Best of luck with it!
Advertisement
19-03-2018, 23:09   #66
GrabTheCREAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1994 View Post
Bit of a side note but does anyone know what the parking situation is like around O'Reilly hall? I really don't want to be stressed looking for a place Saturday morning!
Go straight into UCD main entrance follow the road straight (not left as it splits into left and straight) then go right at the stop sign and up ahead theres a car park and you walk up and around that car park into ucd and get urself to oreilly easy enough!

Thats the best i could explain anyway hahah you can check on maps for a better idea
Thanks from:
20-03-2018, 08:24   #67
e1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheCREAM View Post
Go straight into UCD main entrance follow the road straight (not left as it splits into left and straight) then go right at the stop sign and up ahead theres a car park and you walk up and around that car park into ucd and get urself to oreilly easy enough!

Thats the best i could explain anyway hahah you can check on maps for a better idea
That's great thanks a million
20-03-2018, 22:38   #68
Sgro

Hi all,

First of all best of luck to everyone sitting the GAMSAT this weekend!

I intend to sit in September and am only really beginning any plan of action now.

I know registration for the GAMSAT does not open til about mid-May for the September sitting but want to do all I can to prepare now.

I come from a social science/business background and so would have very little science knowledge (although performed well in science in the LC in biology years ago, if that's worth anything).

I am traditionally quite strong in essay writing, reading comprehension etc. so my initial focus for now is Section 3.

I have been told the organic chemistry section can catch you off guard and so to start there, a previous thread here recommended the Organic Chemistry for Dummies book as a good resource.

I did not sit physics or chemistry for the LC so have minimal knowledge in these areas.

Can anyone recommend any other good resources?

& regarding Section 1 & 2 - is there any other knack to it rather than just practicing questions?

Thanks in advance, cheers
21-03-2018, 22:03   #69
GrabTheCREAM

Has anyone done the practise test 3? (pink booklet)

Section 1 i did horrendous got 38/75 but S3 did the best i ever did and got 70/110 so not sure how to score myself here as the general rule seems to be +10 for S1 and +5 for S3, so for me would be 48 S1 points and 75 S3 points... strange
Advertisement
22-03-2018, 17:55   #70
mesallat

On other groups, people seem to be saying pink paper SIII is quite easy for Acer standards. Not sure if I agree with that, but purple paper SIII did seem to be much harder. There are questions on the pink paper that came up on the actual exam in sept though.
23-03-2018, 08:48   #71
Ariana Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesallat View Post
On other groups, people seem to be saying pink paper SIII is quite easy for Acer standards. Not sure if I agree with that, but purple paper SIII did seem to be much harder. There are questions on the pink paper that came up on the actual exam in sept though.
I got the worst score I ever received on the Purple booklet for Section III. That would be fine if I had received that score like 2 weeks ago and not just yesterday so now my nerves are shot lol.

----------------------
Does anyone have any last minute tricks on speeding up essay writing? I have a time plan (5min essay plan, 5 min intro, 5 min per point, 3 min conclusion and 2 min read over) but It's hard to stick to lol.
23-03-2018, 09:04   #72
Celestial12

I did the Green and Purple papers the weekend before the September exam (Wednesday 13th). I got 58 for SIII in both papers, 67 for the actual GAMSAT. The pink paper wasn't available back then. I did quite badly in some of the Des O'Neill. Don't stress about practice results too much.
23-03-2018, 09:12   #73
ilovesmecounty

Lads at this point, there's no gain whatsoever in panicking or trying to learn anything last minute. Take it easy today, I'm just going to read over my notes gently. You'll work yourself up otherwise. And of all people, I should be panicking. I did the Pink Section 3 this week and scored a 46
That said, when I went through it, I could see where I made the mistakes so hopefully revising today will stand to me. Hopefully!! Today's the day to remind yourself you've done your best and whatever happens now is out of your hands. All you can do is show up on time tomorrow and give that monster your all. Go team!
24-03-2018, 17:21   #74
Limk88

Well done everyone for getting through today!!!
(2) thanks from:
24-03-2018, 21:12   #75
Ariana Grande

That was.. something else lol
Section 3 was so weird..

Last edited by Ariana Grande; 26-03-2018 at 10:30.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion