Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-02-2018, 15:37   #46
Limk88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consonata View Post
Anybody here applying to Scotland or Derry. They both seem significantly cheaper, and I'd rather finish college loanless.
That sounds like a great incentive to apply!  Do you have a link to more information on the courses?
Limk88 is offline  
Advertisement
27-02-2018, 17:49   #47
Consonata
Registered User
 
Consonata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limk88 View Post
That sounds like a great incentive to apply!  Do you have a link to more information on the courses?
Scottish GEM:
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subject...m-mbchb/#12958

Derry:
https://www.ulster.ac.uk/faculties/l...medical-school
Consonata is offline  
28-02-2018, 12:06   #48
Celestial12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 340
ScotGEM are accepting a second round of applications for September entry! Closes in March.

I seriously need to consider applying. Has anybody sat the SJTace?
Celestial12 is offline  
15-03-2018, 10:57   #49
ilovesmecounty
Registered User
 
ilovesmecounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 103
Just over a week to go! How's everyone feeling??
ilovesmecounty is offline  
15-03-2018, 16:14   #50
Limk88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesmecounty View Post
Just over a week to go! How's everyone feeling??
Hey ilovesmecounty - getting a bit nervous!  Have finished the ACER practice questions and sample questions and going through practice test 3 now and plan on doing practice test 2 next week before the exam.  Looking at the gold standard youtube channel as I am correcting the ACER material as I find the videos very good!!!  As for the essay course, my score has reached an all time low of D's last week so don't really know what to do about that!
How are preparations going for you?
Limk88 is offline  
Advertisement
15-03-2018, 16:22   #51
ilovesmecounty
Registered User
 
ilovesmecounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limk88 View Post
Hey ilovesmecounty - getting a bit nervous!  Have finished the ACER practice questions and sample questions and going through practice test 3 now and plan on doing practice test 2 next week before the exam.  Looking at the gold standard youtube channel as I am correcting the ACER material as I find the videos very good!!!  As for the essay course, my score has reached an all time low of D's last week so don't really know what to do about that!
How are preparations going for you?
That youtube channel is the biz. He explains it really well. Any improvements I make are all down to those videos. I have neglected my S1 and S2 as I did really well in them last September, but now I'm afraid I've let it go and I'll end up dropping my scores there. So I need to cop on now and focus for the week we have left. I'm annoyed at my own brain at this stage. I feel like I understand the science concepts quite well, but I just can't *think* the same way as the questions are posed, if that makes sense. If the exam is org chem heavy, I'm screwed.
ilovesmecounty is offline  
15-03-2018, 17:13   #52
e1994
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 69
Anyone have any last minute tips for section 1 or section 2, section 2 in particular?
e1994 is offline  
16-03-2018, 16:45   #53
Limk88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
ilovesmecounty from previous posts it sounds like you have a natural aptitude for S1 and S2 which will definitely stand to you! I know what you mean about org chemistry - I feel like having some science background would def help on those questions!  Also, what do you think of practice test 3?  Is it in line with the types of questions that they asked on the real thing in September?
e1994 I haven't done a GAMSAT before but from what I hear, if you use the ACER material and maybe get some Des O'Neill questions then that should be good practice for section 1.
Limk88 is offline  
16-03-2018, 17:10   #54
ilovesmecounty
Registered User
 
ilovesmecounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limk88 View Post
ilovesmecounty from previous posts it sounds like you have a natural aptitude for S1 and S2 which will definitely stand to you! I know what you mean about org chemistry - I feel like having some science background would def help on those questions!  Also, what do you think of practice test 3?  Is it in line with the types of questions that they asked on the real thing in September?
e1994 I haven't done a GAMSAT before but from what I hear, if you use the ACER material and maybe get some Des O'Neill questions then that should be good practice for section 1.
Yeah I probably do have a natural aptitude, and also years of working with words. However, I did a practice section 1 last night and I only scored 42 I've decided to put it down to tiredness after a long day but it's a reminder to do a bit on that everyday. As for test 3 reflecting the real thing? The real thing was so traumatic that I don't really remember! It was so beyond me last September, that I wasn't even answering with educated guesses. I'm still getting loads wrong, but I'm at the 'able to narrow it down to two options' stage now.
ilovesmecounty is offline  
Advertisement
16-03-2018, 17:12   #55
ilovesmecounty
Registered User
 
ilovesmecounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1994 View Post
Anyone have any last minute tips for section 1 or section 2, section 2 in particular?
Buy a decent paper everyday between now and then and find the time to read it. That should help your essay writing. As for section 1, just practice. I find Section 3 as hard as some people find section 1, and the only way to get over that fence is keep trying and re-reading your work. Painful. This is my second go on the Gamsat ride, so there's always September to improve your score.
ilovesmecounty is offline  
16-03-2018, 17:33   #56
e1994
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesmecounty View Post
Buy a decent paper everyday between now and then and find the time to read it. That should help your essay writing. As for section 1, just practice. I find Section 3 as hard as some people find section 1, and the only way to get over that fence is keep trying and re-reading your work. Painful. This is my second go on the Gamsat ride, so there's always September to improve your score.
Thanks for the tips and best of luck with the exam! my organic chemistry is very dodgy too so just trying to do as much practice questions as possible between now and next week!
e1994 is offline  
17-03-2018, 16:31   #57
Celestial12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 340
Best of luck to everyone next weekend! Can't believe it's over six months since the September sitting. Looking forward to the CAO offers in August.
Celestial12 is offline  
17-03-2018, 18:30   #58
ilovesmecounty
Registered User
 
ilovesmecounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial12 View Post
Best of luck to everyone next weekend! Can't believe it's over six months since the September sitting. Looking forward to the CAO offers in August.
You have no idea how jealous I am of you. Took a study break today to watch the rugby and feeling super sorry for myself!
ilovesmecounty is offline  
17-03-2018, 20:24   #59
Celestial12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesmecounty View Post
You have no idea how jealous I am of you. Took a study break today to watch the rugby and feeling super sorry for myself!
Don't feel guilty for taking breaks! You're on the home stretch now. Hope it goes well for you and that you can get a place in Dublin (what's your first choice - UCD or RCSI?).
Celestial12 is offline  
17-03-2018, 20:29   #60
chooey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 154
I did the gamsat years ago. One thing that someone suggested to me in the science paper was to go through quickly and do the ones that I could answer straight away and could answer well. I sat it twice-the first year I started at the beginning and went through them numerically. I did so much better the next year results-wise when I did all the ones I could answer quickly and then went back on the others. Best of luck!
chooey is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet