Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
20-05-2013, 09:37   #1
WoolahUrma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 172
UCD or RCSI?

Hi All,

I got 59 in my Gamsat so according to last years numbers I'll have enough for both UCD and RCSI.

I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. Does anybody have a thought on any point of differentiation other than the obvious stuff on the websites?

Either will be great if the points don't go way up.
WoolahUrma is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-05-2013, 12:15   #2
pc11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 832
There's a lot on this in other threads already. It's also a big question for me, it consumes my days and nights
pc11 is offline  
20-05-2013, 12:29   #3
WoolahUrma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc11 View Post
There's a lot on this in other threads already. It's also a big question for me, it consumes my days and nights
Since I posted I've come across quite a bit. It seems to be down to hospital placement for alot of people.

Do you know how much time if any is spent in the rcsi stephens green building?

UCD seem to have a nice work/ life balance going on. (nice hols/ exams a little more relaxed).

I have RCSI down 1 but im pretty close to changing
WoolahUrma is offline  
20-05-2013, 13:59   #4
DeadEight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 55
From similar days and nights to pc11, there really is no difference between UCD and RCSI from an academic or clinical perspective. Every doctor I asked said the same thing.

My decision was based on convenience. Sandyford (RCSI first year) and Belfield (UCD) are a few minutes away from where I live, so first year would be easy. Vincents Hospital is convenient also, the Mater less so but still relatively quick to get to by bus, train or bike. Getting to Connolly or Beaumont would be a serious pain, and for RCSI that is where you will be for a lot of your four years. UCD wodul save me several hours traveling per day!

There are lots of other factors you can take into account, but try to only include the things you actually care about. Hopefully your decision can be made without scoring who had nicer coffee at the open day!
DeadEight is offline  
(2) thanks from:
20-05-2013, 14:13   #5
Flange/Flanders
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 378
Similiar dilemma for me, except Im torn between either UCD or UL. I lived in Dublin for a few years and a lot of my good mates are there so that heavily tips in in favour. However Limerick is closer to home and prob comparatively cheaper. Im also (prob much more important than the previous points!!) non science background so I think the didactic teaching of UCD would suit me better than PBL in UL. Having said that, I was down in UL a few months ago and I was really impressed by their facilities. Im prob 75/25 in favour of UCD.
Flange/Flanders is offline  
Advertisement
20-05-2013, 14:31   #6
pc11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 832
There's a lot on this topic here including my own thoughts:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=84402030

There is no difference in quality or reputation. The single biggest difference is the higher cost in RCSI.

The difference in travelling is also a factor. Bear in kind that UCD has lectures, labs and library all in one place in Belfield, with some time in the Mater. In RCSI you will be flitting between Sandyford, Stephen's Green, Beaumont in first year and Blanchardstown the second year. This adds time, expense and stress.

If money is a problem, like for me, the long summer holiday in UCD gives a chance to work, whereas the summer break in RCSI is very short. Added to the higher fees in RCSI, UCD is much the better option financially.

That said, if I was rich I would probably choose RCSI as I like the dedicated facility they have and the small class.
pc11 is offline  
20-05-2013, 16:22   #7
House_QC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc11 View Post
There's a lot on this topic here including my own thoughts:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=84402030

There is no difference in quality or reputation. The single biggest difference is the higher cost in RCSI.

The difference in travelling is also a factor. Bear in kind that UCD has lectures, labs and library all in one place in Belfield, with some time in the Mater. In RCSI you will be flitting between Sandyford, Stephen's Green, Beaumont in first year and Blanchardstown the second year. This adds time, expense and stress.

If money is a problem, like for me, the long summer holiday in UCD gives a chance to work, whereas the summer break in RCSI is very short. Added to the higher fees in RCSI, UCD is much the better option financially.

That said, if I was rich I would probably choose RCSI as I like the dedicated facility they have and the small class.
I've been scouring this forum as well for the various differences between RCSI, UCD, UCC and UL. I also read that thread you shared. I thought the person (persons?) who wrote about RCSI was very comprehensive, in particular. I think it was "Biologic"? UCD was well covered as well. I thought UCC could have been covered in more depth though. UL is too much of a risky proposition for me - it being PBL and the lack of cadavers in anatomy. So I'm going to focus on choosing between the others.

From a non-science perspective, the fact (according to that thread anyway) that at UCD the first two years don't count towards your final grade is reassuring as it gives me more time to catch up as it were with science grads. By contrast, the first two years are worth 10% at RCSI, if I can recall correctly.

Still, the more I read about RCSI, the more appealing it becomes.
House_QC is offline  
20-05-2013, 16:52   #8
Biologic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by House_QC View Post
From a non-science perspective, the fact (according to that thread anyway) that at UCD the first two years don't count towards your final grade is reassuring as it gives me more time to catch up as it were with science grads. By contrast, the first two years are worth 10% at RCSI, if I can recall correctly.
That's correct, but the 10% comes from 2nd year. At that point, the playing field is well and truly leveled with regards to science v non-science.
Also, we spend minimal time in Beaumont until final year. Our third year is spent bouncing around different hospitals, which I'm sure UCD do too. RCSI will pay for your accommodation if you're in a peripheral hospital or give you a travel allowance. It's worth checking if UCD do this too, in order to get a better idea of finances.
Biologic is offline  
Thanks from:
20-05-2013, 18:18   #9
WoolahUrma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flange/Flanders View Post
Similiar dilemma for me, except Im torn between either UCD or UL. I lived in Dublin for a few years and a lot of my good mates are there so that heavily tips in in favour. However Limerick is closer to home and prob comparatively cheaper. Im also (prob much more important than the previous points!!) non science background so I think the didactic teaching of UCD would suit me better than PBL in UL. Having said that, I was down in UL a few months ago and I was really impressed by their facilities. Im prob 75/25 in favour of UCD.
I would have taken ul gladly if I got 55 but luckily I done well enough to get back up to Dublin. Anyway, from what I've read the pbl in ul is tough tough goin compared to trad didactic in ucd. Plus less holidays, more pressure cause it's a relatively new course.
WoolahUrma is offline  
Advertisement
21-05-2013, 11:45   #10
WoolahUrma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 172
There seems to be a member of staff dedicated to usmle applications in RCSI. Is it true that you have a better chance of placement in the states through RCSI or is this a myth?

It really is a nightmare picking between the two.

Why are the points higher for RCSI? Why do people seem to have a preference for it or is this down to the lower number of places?

Finally, the hospitals.

Blanch or Vincents? Does it make a bit of difference other than convenience of location?
WoolahUrma is offline  
21-05-2013, 12:26   #11
nomoreexams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 167
The big concern for me is the bank loan. Is it easier to get a bank loan with one of those colleges versus the other?
nomoreexams is offline  
21-05-2013, 13:55   #12
pc11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreexams View Post
The big concern for me is the bank loan. Is it easier to get a bank loan with one of those colleges versus the other?
For UCD/RCSI? No difference whatsoever. Both are with BOI and processed by the same team.

The relevant difference is the extra fees in RCSI which are not covered by the loan, about 2K per year.

(EDIT: also applies to BOI loans for UL and UCC)

Last edited by pc11; 21-05-2013 at 16:21.
pc11 is offline  
Thanks from:
21-05-2013, 14:29   #13
nomoreexams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc11 View Post
For UCD/RCSI? No difference whatsoever. Both are with BOI and processed by the same team.

The relevant difference is the extra fees in RCSI which are not covered by the loan, about 2K per year.
Thanks! RCSI use AIB aswell though don't they and its a €75,000 loan. These numbers are so hypothetical talking about them here but in reality the thought of owing that type of money is so scary!

I have RCSI down as number 1 at the moment but I'm still not 100% sure. I really wish I'd gone to their open day. I might give them a call and see can I have a look around during the week. I've already seen UCD and there's no denying their new facilities are so impressive!

Last edited by nomoreexams; 21-05-2013 at 15:02. Reason: *sorry, I should say AIB offer up to €75,000.
nomoreexams is offline  
21-05-2013, 15:49   #14
WoolahUrma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreexams View Post
Thanks! RCSI use AIB aswell though don't they and its a €75,000 loan. These numbers are so hypothetical talking about them here but in reality the thought of owing that type of money is so scary!

I have RCSI down as number 1 at the moment but I'm still not 100% sure. I really wish I'd gone to their open day. I might give them a call and see can I have a look around during the week. I've already seen UCD and there's no denying their new facilities are so impressive!
Ive been onto rcsi, theyre very good about showing you around. The students are doing exams so you might not get to talk to one of them but they will give you the tour.

I heading up next week to see sandyford.
WoolahUrma is offline  
21-05-2013, 15:49   #15
letsdothis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreexams View Post
Thanks! RCSI use AIB aswell though don't they and its a €75,000 loan. These numbers are so hypothetical talking about them here but in reality the thought of owing that type of money is so scary!

I have RCSI down as number 1 at the moment but I'm still not 100% sure. I really wish I'd gone to their open day. I might give them a call and see can I have a look around during the week. I've already seen UCD and there's no denying their new facilities are so impressive!
I'm sure it's been said on other threads here that AIB have stopped the GEMS loans entirely for new entrants.
letsdothis is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet