Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Station

Options
  • 14-04-2014 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Space Station will pass over Galway tonight at 9-49pm it will approach from the West travelling South East and will be visible for 5 minutes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

so if using the moon as a point of refrence it would be where?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Spotted! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

That was class to see, quite slow moving and really bright.

Thank you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Best I could do with hand held camera

P1050005_zps341e1a3a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

It will be back again at 23:23 for 2 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wont be worth it as it will be to far Souh and too low on the horizon

Went out again to have a look at the 11:23 pass (Dublin/Meath border), bleeding thing is so fast, its deadly

The link below is for the NASA sighting page for the Space Station for Galway
    during April, the bigger the max height number the closer it is to the City. You can register your email with NASA and they will tell you when the best times are for Galway, its free to register and get the alerts.

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Where the heck is one supposed to be looking before it flys by?!? :confused::confused: Don't even know where in the heck am supposed to be feicin lookin for the damn thing! :/

Where the heck is one supposed to be looking before it flys by?!? :confused::confused: Don't even know where in the heck am supposed to be feicin lookin for the damn thing! :/

Up!

• Advertisement

All joking aside, just look to the west, you'll notice it, its extremely bright and moving quite fast.

Okay so there's supposed to be something passing at 10.37pm so will have a gawk.

And summat else at 11.04pm.

Well that was a load of sh1te anyway. Shure there's no sun out. West is different directions depending on where you stand?!? Not bein' funny but it is! :o:/

Nope didn't see a thing and was definitely out a few minutes beforehand. Was trying to work it out by the moon, but typically enough, there's no effing moon out tonight. But shure, if something was going through the sky from one side to the other anyway, shure, ya would have to see it wouldn't ya?!? :confused: Stoopid arse-ho1e space crap.

Tonights pass would have been very low in the South,would have been hard to spot you need to look at the chart the bigger the above number is means it will be above you and its visible for longer, also it was pretty cloudy tonight

Yeah it is damn cloudy out tonight alright. Shure might get to see one of them over the next few nights maybe. :)

I was outside maybe Monday at 10 or 11 when I saw something in the sky.

It made me remember back to the time the ISS passed over a few months back, which I'd missed.

Shame I only saw this thread now. I'll bookmark that NASA site though for a look again.

Would something like this ever look like a quick moving star?.
    The night I mention above, the object seemed as distant as a star. It didn't seem low enough to be a plane and I couldnt see a flashing light.
    It was obviously dark hence the problem gauging the distance.

Shame I didn't note the time and try for sites like the one linked above. It had me puzzled for a few minutes but quickly forgot about it again until I saw this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

ISS is passing tonight at 9.49 to 9.54. Should be visible with the clear sky.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

aido76 wrote: »
    ISS is passing tonight at 9.49 to 9.54. Should be visible with the clear sky.

Where in the sky will it be passing through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

It will start low in the west but as it crosses the sky it will get higher. Stand with your right shoulder facing towards sunset (west) and your left sholder facing towards sunrise (east). You will be facing south. Tilt your head up half way and start scanning the sky from shoulder to shoulder, more to your right at 9.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

it aint slow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Better viewing than the Late Late

It was too cloudy here:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I just seen it..... All the way from Kilkenny :)

Have a look up around 10-10 to 10-15 for the Dragon spacecraft which is on its way to the space station with supplies travelling in the same direction but wont be as bright,it launched from Florida a while ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

At least two opportunities tonight:
    Thu Jun 05 00:39 AM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 61 degrees, Appears: WSW, Disappears: E
    Thu Jun 05 2:16 AM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 56 degrees, Appears: W, Disappears: ESE

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

One of the most well designed apps on the Appstore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector

NASA launched a new experiment on 18th April 2014: the High Definition Earth Viewing (HDEV) cameras.

This webpage provides the live feed from HDEV as well as a map showing the real-time location of the ISS: http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

If the HDEV image is black it could be because the ISS is on the night side of Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I was outside maybe Monday at 10 or 11 when I saw something in the sky.

It made me remember back to the time the ISS passed over a few months back, which I'd missed.

It passes over several times a day, every day :) The problem is that it's only well visible in the twilight hours, when the sky is dark but the ISS is still lit by the sun. But if you have a portable scanner you can hear the signal from it at any time. It's at 145.800Mhz (voice). Sometimes around lunch time you can hear the astronauts if they have time for a chat. And if you have a HAM radio license you can even talk back to them :)

I always use heavens-above.com to track it. And a satellite tracker app for my phone to figure out where exactly it is in the sky. The better ones use the built-in compass and gyroscope to show an overlay on the camera image (Augmented Reality).

In fact the ISS is extremely visible in the wee small hours, as my experience last night showed.

NASA's Spot the Station service gave two times for last night, 00:39 and 02:16. That confused me at first (because I was expecting only one notification) but when I looked up the stats I found that the ISS takes only 90 minutes or so to orbit the Earth, travelling at an average speed of 27,600 km/h, and completes 15 orbits every 24 hours.

It's therefore possible to see it more than once per night, depending on weather, light and other factors.

Last night I saw it twice, because I was up very late. A few minutes after the 00:39 pass I had another look at its position on the tracker, and it was already over Ukraine!

EDIT- actually it turns out that the ISS can be seen during daylight hours too: http://www.zmescience.com/space/video-the-iss-and-atlantis-shuttle-as-seen-in-broad-daylight/#!USNMV

• Advertisement

Tonight will be very good time to see it weather permitting as it will be overhead

Time: Thu Jun 05 11:50 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 53 degrees, Appears: WSW, Disappears: E

Advertisement