Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Station

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Saw it there about forty minutes ago. My lord, it fairly rips it through the night sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It certainly does, travelling 460 km every minute.

After watching it for a few minutes I went back inside and a short while later checked its location on the tracker. By then it was over Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

I took a few photos of it over Galway tonight

1st two are from the 23.50 approx pass sky was much clearer mag-3.7

2nd two are from the last past just after 1am (sorry the are faint there was much more cloud cover ) mag-3.8

Used different shutter speeds for the photos etc was fun trying to photograph enjoyed it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Scone190 wrote: »
    I took a few photos of it over Galway tonight

1st two are from the 23.50 approx pass sky was much clearer mag-3.7

2nd two are from the last past just after 1am (sorry the are faint there was much more cloud cover ) mag-3.8

Used different shutter speeds for the photos etc was fun trying to photograph enjoyed it :D

Great photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    It certainly does, travelling 460 km every minute.

After watching it for a few minutes I went back inside and a short while later checked its location on the tracker. By then it was over Poland.

If it's over Poland it only just drops over the horizon here :) Most visible passes here don't actually pass over the Irish landmass. Because it's so high up (though for a satellite it's quite low by the way).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

This tracker indicates "the view from the ISS directly down to earth".

http://iss.astroviewer.net/

I wonder what criteria NASA use to determine a "sighting opportunity"?

Their location lookup facility goes to the trouble of listing no fewer than 17 separate "city" locations in little Ireland, including the bustling metropolises of Oldcastle, Greystones and Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Another chance to see it tonight weather permitting

Time: Fri Jun 06 11:02 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 43 degrees, Appears: SW, Disappears: E

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I saw this the other night wasn't expecting it so it was a nice surprise

Tonight will be great to see the ISS as it will be directly overhead, hope the sky is clear, time below

Time: Sat Jun 07 11:49 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 65 degrees, Appears: WSW, Disappears: E

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Thanks for that, that was cool to see! I didn't think the sky would be clear enough tonight, but it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

Took another photo tonight .. I believe my best one yet of the ISS over Claregalway . Its just a different camera setting I used to make the sky brighter then it is so the photo is not edited incase anyone is wondering ! I love it :D

Another great chance tonight for six minutes and overhead

Time: Sun Jun 08 11:00 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 60 degrees, Appears: WSW, Disappears: E

Tonights spotting time below, another great viewing height lets hope the weather plays ball, we dont get so many passes going directly overhead.

Time: Mon Jun 09 11:48 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 64 degrees, Appears: W, Disappears: ESE

Tonight is the night for a clear view as the ISS passes overhead

Time: Tue Jun 10 10:59 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 67 degrees, Appears: W, Disappears: E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

If the Sky is clear tonight she is around our part of the World for a few days, time below

Time: Tue Aug 05 11:12 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 42 degrees, Appears: SW, Disappears: E

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Just for the guys who don't know yet there is great app (at least for Android) called ISS tracker. It's free and tells you the exact time / brightness of the ISS and Iridium satellites. Also has a Radar so you can see exactly where to look to see the ISS when you hold your Phone into the sky.

Its free and pretty cool even though I still don't 100% how the Radar works.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector&hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Two passes tonight the first one will be the best should be almost overhead, times below

Time: Fri Aug 08 10:21 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 50 degrees, Appears: WSW, Disappears: E

Time: Fri Aug 08 11:58 PM, Visible: 4 min, Max Height: 65 degrees, Appears: W, Disappears: SE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

rh5555 wrote: »
    Just for the guys who don't know yet there is great app (at least for Android) called ISS tracker. It's free and tells you the exact time / brightness of the ISS and Iridium satellites. Also has a Radar so you can see exactly where to look to see the ISS when you hold your Phone into the sky.

Its free and pretty cool even though I still don't 100% how the Radar works.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector&hl=en

That "Radar" just works using the tilt and compass sensors in your phone - it knows where you're pointing so it can guide you to where it should be at that time.

If it has inaccurate information it will guide you wrongly :) That's why it has to download the latest information regularly. The ISS in particular often change their orbit due to them needing a boost, or for a collision avoidance maneuver.

There's also apps with Augmented Reality that just overlay a label on every visible thing on the camera image (though for the ISS this is not great because the camera image will be too dark at night).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

Aerohead wrote: »
    Two passes tonight the first one will be the best should be almost overhead, times below

Time: Fri Aug 08 10:21 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 50 degrees, Appears: WSW, Disappears: E

Time: Fri Aug 08 11:58 PM, Visible: 4 min, Max Height: 65 degrees, Appears: W, Disappears: SE

Just past me, it seems to be towing something behind it :D
    There is another bright light, smaller in size though directly behind it, its honestly like its towing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭jkforde

billie1b wrote: »
    Just past me, it seems to be towing something behind it :D
    There is another bright light, smaller in size though directly behind it, its honestly like its towing it

that's an automated cargo resupply vessel sent up by the European Space Agency, it's due to dock with the station on Tuesday... http://blogs.esa.int/atv/2014/08/08/iss-atv-5-in-orbit-tonight/

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

jkforde wrote: »
    that's an automated cargo resupply vessel sent up by the European Space Agency, it's due to dock with the station on Tuesday... http://blogs.esa.int/atv/2014/08/08/iss-atv-5-in-orbit-tonight/

Cool thanks

Advertisement