Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 NFL season - Week 2 thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Unfortunately the Pats D looks like it did last year. Good when playing the lesser teams, but when they play a good team they can't stop the run/pass. Offense also looking like last year, only 10pts so far (INT for 7pts) and the Seahawks have players out injured/ejected. We'll see this more this year with a tougher schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

7 points each off the back of each teams one turnover

Don't know what we'd be like without Edelman. Huge game so far tonight 5 catches for 116 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well no negative stuff from me. I think we are looking at two very serious contenders for Superbowl honours based on what I'm seeing tonight.
    Impressive offense on both sides.

That's the game. Pats stuck in there, but it's a Seahawks D that gave up 500yds last week, so not surprised we had some success in that area, but not near good enough, and couldn't get the running game going. The Pats D the same as last season. Might challenge Buffalo for the division, but that's about it.

• Advertisement

That's the game. Pats stuck in there, but it's a Seahawks D that gave up 500yds last week, so not surprised we had some success in that area, but not near good enough, and couldn't get the running game going. The Pats D the same as last season. Might challenge Buffalo for the division, but that's about it.

Even I forget how this game works :P
    Jules the man tonight. Byrd also showing promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Is a receiver down when his head touches the ground? Because I think edelman fumbled there when his head whacked the ground

You've got to run it needing a yard and not have an INC and stop the clock! Poor from Seattle there.

Regardless if what happens here this has been a great game and I'm well impressed by both teams.
    I think they are two serious contenders to win it all.

Wow. Some finish to the game. Seattle won't do much if they can't stop giving up ~500 yards a game, even with Wilson playing amazing.
    Credit to the Pats, never gave up, great fight. D has to improve though.

• Advertisement

What is it about goal line endings when these two play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Chiefs win, Pats lose. Two very satisfying endings today.

Ugh, sad way for it to finish for us Patriots fans but an awesome game of football and I wouldn't be surprised if they meet in the postseason and there's only one way that can happen.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Pats aren't contenders, so you don't have to worry about that. You can just be happy that you've got a great team you know?

Pats aren't contenders, so you don't have to worry about that. You can just be happy that you've got a great team you know?

According to one poster they are. And I very much enjoy each of their losses, like Liverpool or United in football. That's the nature of sport, take it as a compliment.

Xavi6 wrote:

Very poor form from a fan of the Superbowl champs.
    Surprised you still have that inferiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

If anything that performance just shows the Patriots will be contenders this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Terrible play call at the end. Expected some sort of misdirection. Cam will get them a lot of times but far from automatic as that play call (and one or two earlier) seemed to assume.

Two good but quite flawed teams. Seahawks pass rush was as weak as expected and Patriot's defense not as strong as it was last year. I love Cam and Wilson (the latter begrudgingly) but I very much question how far into the season Cam's style will last, though hopefully he isn't working with a full playbook yet. Adams is an improvement for the Seahawks but they would be really nothing without Wilson.

me89 wrote: »
    If anything that performance just shows the Patriots will be contenders this year.

They played very well and showed a lot to even get that opportunity at the end, a fit Cam was always going to be a huge asset and he looked the business today.

In the AFC picture though, it's a good result for the other top sides in terms of seeding down the track.

I think that is quite hyperbolic. Most people had them as in or around the playoffs and I don't see how this game changes much. Maybe if your expectations were low this might have been more impressive.

The Seahawks are notorious for playing to the level of their opponents and/or letting teams hang around in games, even when CenturyLink is packed and noisy. To highlight that point, they had 12 one score games last year. They rarely blow teams out of the water so a close loss isn't that much to get excited about.

• Advertisement

According to one poster they are. And I very much enjoy each of their losses, like Liverpool or United in football. That's the nature of sport, take it as a compliment.
    I'm guessing who that one poster is (I don't see their comments) but I'd take that with a grain of salt.
    I can get liking their loses when they were good/challengers, but still obsessed and posting it when they aren't in the race is kinda strange to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I think that is quite hyperbolic. Most people had them as in or around the playoffs and I don't see how this game changes much. Maybe if your expectations were low this might have been more impressive.

Of course expectations are low, the team is coming off a 20 year run with the greatest player off all time with a completely revamped offence and very little at WR

On top of that we lost most of our front 7 from or defence last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

SNF was incredible to watch this morning. I thought Seattle had botched it throwing on 3rd and 1 before the Patriots' final drive.

SNF was incredible to watch this morning. I thought Seattle had botched it throwing on 3rd and 1 before the Patriots' final drive.
    It really was a bad call (again) but got away with it this time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The value of having a good kicker shows again. If Folk makes that FG, Pats just need a kick to win at the end.

Bill really needs to sign another top WR, can't put the team on Edelman every game. Harry continues to disappoint. The contrast with Metcalf was glaring

Of course expectations are low, the team is coming off a 20 year run with the greatest player off all time with a completely revamped offence and very little at WR

On top of that we lost most of our front 7 from or defence last year.

My point was that even if your expectations were so low, that game is no where near enough evidence to crown them as 'contenders' or for others to make claims that they now wouldn't be surprised if they make the Super Bowl this year. I'd take your point if they dominated but I didn't see that at any point last night, they got quite lucky with the pick 6 and despite that were down by 12 points with less than 3 minutes left to play. I nearly turned it off a few times but glad I didn't given the exciting ending.

As I said, the Seahawks play to the level of their opposition or let teams hang around so their games end up close (both in 2018 and 2019 seasons they had 12(ish) one score games). Teams that came within a score of them last season (or in one case lost to) were 5 of top 13 pickers in the draft, so those weren't Super Bowl bound for keeping it close to them.

When I did my predictions I originally had the Patriots narrowly missing out on the playoffs but now I'd have them making it. My concern for them is that they have been relatively injury free, given the turnover you mentioned I just don't think they have the depth to hold up over the season unless they get extremely lucky with the

The value of having a good kicker shows again. If Folk makes that FG, Pats just need a kick to win at the end.

Bill really needs to sign another top WR, can't put the team on Edelman every game. Harry continues to disappoint. The contrast with Metcalf was glaring

I think Patriot's fans would also be complaining about Metcalf if he was drafted by them. I don't think he'd have seen any of the ball last year because his skill set and route running didn't suit Brady or the offense they were playing. He fits perfectly with what Wilson does though and his long passes and that is why he has excelled.

I'll defer to you on Harry as you've seen a lot more of him but I thought he had a pretty good game last night. Cam seems to be forcing more 50/50 throws to him, which is what his strength was coming out of college. He never was an explosive guy and even struggled to get separation at the college level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

CMC out for a few weeks now. What a brutal week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think Patriot's fans would also be complaining about Metcalf if he was drafted by them. I don't think he'd have seen any of the ball last year because his skill set and route running didn't suit Brady or the offense they were playing. He fits perfectly with what Wilson does though and his long passes and that is why he has excelled.

I'll defer to you on Harry as you've seen a lot more of him but I thought he had a pretty good game last night. Cam seems to be forcing more 50/50 throws to him, which is what his strength was coming out of college. He never was an explosive guy and even struggled to get separation at the college level.

I think Brady would've have incorporated him well tbh. He had no problem with taking deep shots when Cooks was there. I understand the scepticism around Metcalf in the draft, but i think it's safe to say he's answered his doubters to date.

I don't see it with Harry at all. Initially he was supposed to be a big receiver, able to win contested catches, but he's repeatedly come off second best physically. See the INT last year when he got bounced by the CB covering him. He was supposed to be great as a YAC runner, yet he was taken down by outstretched arms multiple times last night. He can always improve, and maybe I'll be eating my words later on, but for now he's a massive disappointment. I think sometimes Belichick outsmarts himself drafting skill positions, looking for intangibles over what's in front of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So for those who watched the game between the jets and the niners was there something noticeably different with the field in MetLife yesterday ? I was listening to ESPN radio at lunchtime and the reporter said that players were saying to her that it was “sticky and new” which may possibly be a reason why there were leg injuries yesterday. I think the giants did a scrimmage on it on one of the nights they should have had a pre season game last month so it’s not as if it’s been sitting unused completely over the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So for those who watched the game between the jets and the niners was there something noticeably different with the field in MetLife yesterday ? I was listening to ESPN radio at lunchtime and the reporter said that players were saying to her that it was “sticky and new” which may possibly be a reason why there were leg injuries yesterday. I think the giants did a scrimmage on it on one of the nights they should have had a pre season game last month so it’s not as if it’s been sitting unused completely over the summer.

49ers playing there again next week.

49ers playing there again next week.

Yeah I know which can’t be that much fun if there is an issue with the field.

I was a new surface was put down over the summer. Impossible to know without being there but you could see on TV a lot of plastic getting kicked up. For both Bosa and Thomas injuries their feet clearly got stuck in the turf and didn't give way when pressure was put in the opposite direction so their knees buckled.

There were apparently complaints by the 49ers players as soon as they saw it and now after all the injuries the players are saying they are concerned about playing on it again next Sunday. NFL are going to inspect it.

Having said that, there were no similar complaints after the Giants and Steelers game so it might have just been an unlucky game

Does astro turf (the new versions) need to be watered or is there any maintenance that can be dome top make it less sticky?

I think Brady would've have incorporated him well tbh. He had no problem with taking deep shots when Cooks was there.

I don't think Brady last year was the same guy that was throwing it to Cooks and Cooks wasn't just a vertical threat. Either way, Brady of last year is
    I understand the scepticism around Metcalf in the draft, but i think it's safe to say he's answered his doubters to date.

Outside from some doubters with 'hot take' claims, I think Metcalf has pretty much matched what the majority of people/doubters said about him. He was overhyped when people were talking about him going in the top 5 picks and then people were surprised when he fell and flagged him as a potential steal. Most said he needed to land in the right spot to succeed and that is what happened. They said his route tree was limited and it was when he entered the league. The only thing that so far has been wrong was the concerns around his injury history, though it only takes one play.
    I don't see it with Harry at all. Initially he was supposed to be a big receiver, able to win contested catches, but he's repeatedly come off second best physically. See the INT last year when he got bounced by the CB covering him. He was supposed to be great as a YAC runner, yet he was taken down by outstretched arms multiple times last night. He can always improve, and maybe I'll be eating my words later on, but for now he's a massive disappointment. I think sometimes Belichick outsmarts himself drafting skill positions, looking for intangibles over what's in front of him.

I always see it as a huge red flag when a player is highlighted as a YAC runner out of college but doesn't do it with any type of athleticism. It is so hard to translate into the NFL when you're playing against better defenders and athletes.

I don't see him ever being a top WR but I think he'll improve with Cam. The problem the Patriots have had with drafting skill positions (especially WR) during the Brady era is that their offense is so complicated and the expectations are so high that it leaves a limited number of players that can come in a succeed quickly. Given how much the team has won with that approach, it was a good problem to have. Things might change now if they stick with Cam and a more straight forward offense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos getting hit hard -

Courtland Sutton has a ****ed-up knee and is gone for the season.

Drew Lock is likely to miss 6 weeks

Dre'Mont Jones also has a knee problem.

This on top of Von Miller, AJ Bouye and Phillip Lindsey already out

Also Richberg and Dee Ford, which makes 40% of starters for next week. Real disaster.

49ers are staying on the east coast between games and hired an MRI van to check out their players and it has broken down before they got to test Bosa, Thomas, Mostert, Coleman etc so confirmation of how bad each will be delayed. Turns out another plane crashed into theirs before their boarded to leave the Bay and they ended up arriving in NY at 2:30am.

Even machinery linked to the team has an injury curse.

I was a new surface was put down over the summer. Impossible to know without being there but you could see on TV a lot of plastic getting kicked up. For both Bosa and Thomas injuries their feet clearly got stuck in the turf and didn't give way when pressure was put in the opposite direction so their knees buckled.

There were apparently complaints by the 49ers players as soon as they saw it and now after all the injuries the players are saying they are concerned about playing on it again next Sunday. NFL are going to inspect it.

Having said that, there were no similar complaints after the Giants and Steelers game so it might have just been an unlucky game

Actually, scratch that. Steelers lost Banner to a season ending knee injury.

As expected, the NFL have come back saying the turf passed its review. I doubt any new turf would fail even if it was dangerous.

I’ve just seen pictures of the inside of the new raiders stadium(I’ve seen many pictures of the outside) and Jesus is it swanky as ****. Not a baseball infield in sight and no flag poles and tarps and it’s unlikely that people will get water coming through the concrete in the dugouts and the toilets probably work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I’ve just seen pictures of the inside of the new raiders stadium(I’ve seen many pictures of the outside) and Jesus is it swanky as ****.

Its a nice stadium alright but so it should be for 2 billion dollars, including $750 million of taxpayer money. Not popular amongst a lot of people of vegas, especially with the current situation.

• Advertisement

10 penalties for 129 yards for the Saints. Always going to struggle with that going on.

Bit of a surprise last night.

Admittedly I didnt see either teams game in week 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭boccy23

boccy23 wrote: »
    9 - 7 last week

Bengals @ Browns W
    Vikings @ Colts L
    49ers @ Jets W
    Bills @ Dolphins W
    Falcons @ Cowboys W
    Lions @ Packers W
    Rams @ Eagles L
    Giants @ Bears W
    Broncos @ Steelers W
    Jaguars @ Titans W
    Panthers @ Buccaneers W
    Washington @ Cardinals W
    Chiefs @ Chargers W
    Ravens @ Texans W
    Patriots @ Seahawks W
    Saints @ Raiders W

14-2. Better week.
    23-9 overall now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bruce Irwin and Marquise Blair out for the season too. Week 2 was madness.

11-5 week 1.

Bengals @ Browns
    Vikings @ Colts
    49ers @ Jets
    Bills @ Dolphins
    Falcons @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Packers
    Rams @ Eagles
    Giants @ Bears
    Broncos @ Steelers
    Jaguars @ Titans
    Panthers @ Buccaneers
    Washington @ Cardinals
    Chiefs @ Chargers
    Ravens @ Texans
    Patriots @ Seahawks
    Saints @ Raiders

9-7 for week 2 so 20-12 for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,148 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

paulie21 wrote: »
    8-8

Bengals @ Browns
    Vikings @ Colts
    49ers @ Jets
    Bills @ Dolphins
    Falcons @ Cowboys
    Lions ;Packers
    Rams ;Eagles
    Giants @ Bears
    Broncos ;Steelers
    Jaguars ;Titans
    Panthers ;Buccaneers
    Washington ;Cardinals
    Chiefs @ Chargers
    Ravens @ Texans
    Patriots @ Seahawks
    Saints @ Raiders

14-2 leaves me 22-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭Paleface

Paleface wrote: »
    10 - 6 for the season.

Bengals @ Browns
    Vikings @ Colts
    49ers @ Jets
    Bills @ Dolphins
    Falcons @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Packers
    Rams @ Eagles
    Giants @ Bears
    Broncos @ Steelers
    Jaguars @ Titans
    Panthers @ Buccaneers
    Washington @ Cardinals
    Chiefs @ Chargers
    Ravens @ Texans
    Patriots @ Seahawks
    Saints @ Raiders

14 - 2 which puts me at 24 - 8 for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Bengals @ Browns
    Vikings @ Colts
    49ers @ Jets
    Bills @ Dolphins
    Falcons @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Packers
    Rams @ Eagles
    Giants @ Bears
    Broncos @ Steelers
    Jaguars @ Titans
    Panthers @ Buccaneers
    Washington @ Cardinals
    Chiefs @ Chargers
    Ravens @ Texans
    Patriots @ Seahawks
    Saints @ Raiders

13-3 for this week, so 21-11 for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Hoki wrote: »
    8-8 after Week 1.

Thursday Night 1.20am

Bengals @ Browns

Sunday 6pm

Vikings @ Colts
    49ers @ Jets
    Bills @ Dolphins
    Falcons @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Packers
    Rams @ Eagles
    Giants @ Bears
    Broncos @ Steelers
    Jaguars @ Titans
    Panthers @ Buccaneers

Sunday 9.25pm

Washington @ Cardinals
    Chiefs @ Chargers
    Ravens @ Texans

Sunday Night 1.20am

Patriots @ Seahawks

Monday Night 1.15am

Saints @ Raiders

14-2 for Week 2 leaves me at 22-10 for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bengals @ Browns o
    Vikings @ Colts x
    49ers @ Jets o
    Bills @ Dolphins o
    Falcons @ Cowboys o
    Lions @ Packers o
    Rams @ Eagles x
    Giants @ Bears o
    Broncos @ Steelers x
    Jaguars @ Titans o
    Panthers @ Buccaneers o
    Washington @ Cardinals o
    Chiefs @ Chargers o
    Ravens @ Texans o
    Patriots @ Seahawks o
    Saints @ Raiders x

That all seems fairly obvious. Meaning the Lions and Dolphins will win and I'll somehow slump to 6-10

12-4 this week brings me to 22-10 (0.686) for the season

• Advertisement
Advertisement