Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,661 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well in my opinion you only seen power shots and Zhang's were more affective but they alone don't win rounds unless you put your opponent down.

I said it last night and then when the compubox numbers became available they backed up my scoring.

Zhang easily won round 1, then the scoring was tight in round 2 but when there's only a point between them you consider the power shots you've marked down. Zhang was ahead by one in the second but even if he was behind by one I'd still give him the round. The next three rounds were clearly won by Joyce, in round 4 he landed more punches and there was only one between them on power shots so its Joyce's round. That was the closest round of 3, 4 and 5.

Again I posted my round scoring last night, then compubox numbers became available and backed up my scoring.

What have you to say about compubox?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

My original post was about Zhang mate I’m not here to debate who Joyce could beat. Not entirely sure what you’re trying to get at either so let’s just leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,717 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Compubox is people pressing buttons when punches land. Nothing is considered as regards effectiveness, cleanness, force. Arm shots and blocked shots and partially blocked shots are considered/counted.

It counts up scoring punches, that's the primary, as in most important, part of judging.

You hit ten great shots and get hit twenty times and you lose the round easily.

• Advertisement

It counts up punches that “land,” not necessarily “scoring” shots. And it’s not the actual judges doing it (I know you are not claiming this). It’s a handy tool, no doubt, but only part of an analysis.

And handy for you here because it is allowing you to ignore the glaringly obvious, that Zhang won clearly!!

I said what I thought before compubox numbers were available. Then compubox numbers become available and lo and behold they back up my scoring of the fight.

Like I've heard loads of people calling fights wrongly all the time. They see the big shot and that's all they use to score a round.

If I'm not mistaken I remember you saying Canelo beat Golovkin in their second fight where Golovkin hit way more scoring punches in 10 of the twelve rounds. I don't know what you saw in that fight but it was clearly corrupt judging. Same as the first fight.

Canelo winning fight II was not corrupt judging. Seriously, stop digging here.

Professional boxing judges do not use compuxbox to score fights. So your point is pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

This man wont be happy until Saint Joe gets awarded the fight on the grounds that compuboxing had him up on landed punches. Sure he had to chase the fight for all he was worth because he allowed his eye to be banjaxed while Zhang just had to be careful not to get hit big or gas. He also took so many shots on the hands and arms, very little clean or substantial. In any event it doesn’t matter a shiny shite even if Joyce was up on the cards, he had to be pulled from the fight for his own safety. So he got bested. He lost his 0. His style came undone. He looked like a novice who hadn’t a clue how to defend and this has been threatening to happen ever since he went pro. You got it wrong.

Just watched it again it really was an impressive performance from Zhang. Joyce just hadn’t got it. Terrible first round he was a rabbit in the headlights, second even worse. Joe had lots of peppering punches but they were mostly ineffective. He did get some success to the body and round the back of the guard but his movement was so poor. Zhang fired hard every time and made it count. Makes me rethink Hrgovic now. I thought he was brutal last night out but all considered thats a good victory. Cards might have been a bit unkind to Zhang but the best he could have got was a draw for me. Wondering who Hrgović will take on next. Id have thought hed be a mandatory. Standing at the moment

Fury

Usyk

Wilder

Joshua

Hrgovic

Zhang

Ruiz

Joyce

Ortiz

Leaving 10 blank can’t decide who gets it

• Advertisement

I'm not digging, I'm only telling it as it was. Canelo won the third fight easily but lost the first two. Corrupt judging in fights 1 and 2. There's no other explanation.

GGG won those two fights clearly. Even a blind man could see that.

Golovkin first,

14-12, 19-12, 16-12, 23-14, 22-14, 16-23, 21-23, 21-16, 21-18, 26-20, 18-18, 20-21

Giving all the tight rounds to Canelo leaves it at 115-113 GGG. GGG won it by more than that.

Joyce has always been a big pudding. This weekend he bumped into a pudding with a higher IQ.

I think Eagle Eye is grossly overrating Joe Joyce - a 37 year old that has beaten even less than me.

Let's not get carried away though, GGG quite clearly beat Canelo in the first two fights.

I'd be of the opinion that Joyce has a higher IQ than you.

Of course you would.

You're dozy enough to think Joyce would beat Usyk.

Dozy, do you fancy meeting up and we'll get an IQ test done? I'll bet anything from €200 upwards that I've a higher one than you.

If you want to call people dozy put your money where your mouth is.

You do know that Joyce has a degree?

I never said that. I said that his stamina, reach and jab might be a problem for Usyk and I wouldn't rule it out.

Usyk has an unreal gas tank, great boxing skills. He dominates late in fights when his opponents tire, I'm not saying he doesn't win rounds before that happens but it makes sure there's no question as to whose getting the decision.

My point was that Joyce has a good jab, a big reach advantage and lots of stamina. It'd be an interesting matchup but it'll never happen. Joyce would be close to, if not, 40 by the time he redeems his reputation.

Joyce will now have a dilemma. Take the rematch or fight someone softer. He will be in a different position in that the walk forward, stiff style has been showed to be badly flawed. Until now he’s taken the shots and never addresssed it. Head movement hasn’t happened and for a silver medalist that’s surprising. He may need to fight a little bit more timid and go for the late stop or points but Zhang is very dangerous. Perhaps he should be more brave - close the distance and smother Zhang’s work while getting off his own shots. At HW no one can rely on their ability to take a shot that’s madness. If he fought the rematch in China then it’s a huge event, maybe around Christmas time. If he can win that in any way now then he’s back in the position he was but he’s still far enough down the pecking order to have to wait and far enough up it to be a bit too risky. If he could tempt someone like Hrgović into a fight or say Zhang, Whyte, Hrgovic then those are big fights and are bound to take him into mandatory status. But that’s 18 months to 2 years and he needs to win them all. I was impressed by him in the aftermath of the fight he took it very well and made no excuses, congratulating Zhang. I like anyone who can show class and I’d like things to go well for him. I just don’t see him holding a title because there are better than him out there. Too many flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think for Joe the fact that zhang was a south paw was what did for him, and as a result he has no business in there with Usyk either. He was incapable of getting out of the way of Zhangs right.

More the left but yea Zhang was hitting him with power shots almost at will. He was wobbled a few times as well as they eye swelling up. There was a time in the second when Joyce was rag dolled to the corner and Zhang was chasing him, the referee intervened and I’m not sure why but had Zhang been able to continue the attack then there’s every chance hed have stopped Joyce. It’s the first time Joyce has faced someone bigger than him with real power so thats a big factor for me as well.

• Advertisement

The weight loss was a huge issue. He was being pushed around the place by Zhang every time they got close together. If he had the extra weight it's very likely he'd have been able to push Zhang a tiny bit and be out of range before Zhang got his punches off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Joe started very slow & looked out of sorts, Zhang started fantastically

In my opinion he actully started to get going & would have won as Zhang had started to slow down

But when your only defence is to take shots fluxh in the face you have nobody to blame but your self,

I still think he beats AJ & possibly Usyk,

Wilder would flat line him & Fury outbox him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Just watched Peter fury talking to Kugan on ifltv and he’s spot on, Zhang has strengths and joyce played into them rather than avoid them, he does go into more detail and it was a decent watch

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think AJ beats Joyce.

That was shockingly bad the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭blade1

For anyone that hasn't seen this.

Usyk hammers him, and AJ hammers him. Both are far better boxers, and AJ absolutely can hurt him..

I just think Joe's constant pressure would make AJ fall apart ,

If AJ doesn't get him out in 3 rounds he'd panic ,

Ye it was a very poor performance

People sometimes try too hard to look at simple things. Zhang threw punches, and Joyce took them flush. End of!

Joyce, throughout his career has shown us his game, his strengths and his weaknesses. Zhang just threw punches and exposed his weaknesses

AJ couldn't hammer Jermain Franklin for good sake, Zhang is a massive man who hits like a truck early on & doesn't panic, AJ wouldn't even take the Zhang fight like Ortiz a few years back AJ will keep well clear of big punchers

AJ is scared stiff to stand in front of someone to land the amount of big shots Zhang did, AJ would try to beat Joyce on points in a boxing match & personally i think eventfully Joe would get to him,

Usyk would rightly be a massive fav but i think Joe could do him , he'd need some luck but it wouldn't surprise me ,.

• Advertisement

Franklin and Joe are poles apart physically and stylistically. If AJ can't outbox and hurt and do a number on Joyce, then he really should hang em up.

Advertisement