Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I put on The Empire Strikes Back-supposedly the best Star Wars- on a plane last year for a bit of nostalgia; I probably hadn't seen it in 35 years. Even as a kids movie it's piss poor. The dialogue between Luke Skywalker and r2d2 where he expositorily translates every beep is just excruciating to watch. The imperial walkers are the stupidest military vehicles I've ever seen-basically big metal donkeys, defeated by a bit of rope, which of course every starfighter carries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

sabat wrote: »
    I put on The Empire Strikes Back-supposedly the best Star Wars- on a plane last year for a bit of nostalgia; I probably hadn't seen it in 35 years. Even as a kids movie it's piss poor. The dialogue between Luke Skywalker and r2d2 where he expositorily translates every beep is just excruciating to watch. The imperial walkers are the stupidest military vehicles I've ever seen-basically big metal donkeys, defeated by a bit of rope, which of course every starfighter carries.

Harsh enough. With all due respect that was only R2's second movie, give him a break ffs...

For me, I never got the love for Lando Carlrissian myself, what a greasy slimeball. He should be made go on celebrity death match with Bib Fortuna, handcufffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Calvary was pretty good but most of the characters in it are extremely unlikeable. Even Pat Shortt comes across as a total c u next Tuesday in it, especially the scene where he tells Brendan Gleeson that his "church is on fire" in a sneering manner.

we were expected to believe that a medium sized town in the north west was soddom n gomorrah

the mc donaghs are dreadfully over rated as film makers

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    we were expected to believe that a medium sized town in the north west was soddom n gomorrah

the mc donaghs are dreadfully over rated as film makers

Compared to who?

I think they are class btw.

Seven Psychopaths is a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Thought so too. Sam Rockwell, wow.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Thought so too. Sam Rockwell, wow.

Rockwell is extremely underrated.

He can be hilarious also, he owned George Bush. It was all in the eyes.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Compared to who?

I think they are class btw.

pure self indulgent tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Maybe too new to be truly "overrated", but following some good reviews I watched "Im thinking of ending things" on Netflix.

I had to google what it was about after watching it, and if anything that made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There are some people who would lynch you for saying it but Ryan's Daughter is a total snoozefest.

There are some people who would lynch you for saying it but Ryan's Daughter is a total snoozefest.

that has never been highly rated , i only saw it for the first time a few years ago , was better than i thought it would be though , had very low expectations

• Advertisement

ive always thought close encounters of the third kind is incredibly over rated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

that has never been highly rated , i only saw it for the first time a few years ago , was better than i thought it would be though , had very low expectations
    It would be very highly rated by a certain generation of Irish people, it and The Quiet Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

ive always thought close encounters of the third kind is incredibly over rated

OH NO.An amazing movie. How could you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It would be very highly rated by a certain generation of Irish people, it and The Quiet Man.
    The Quiet Man is a good bit of fun and that absolutely ridiculous brawl is well worth the time! And it has what Ryan's Daughter doesn't, Maureen O'Hara at her fiery best!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Chris Nolans Batman franchise, particularly part 2. Grand fluff movies but other than that they have little to offer.

By critics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

The horror It Follows
    Rave reviews
    Thought it was really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

is_that_so wrote: »
    The Quiet Man is a good bit of fun and that absolutely ridiculous brawl is well worth the time! And it has what Ryan's Daughter doesn't, Maureen O'Hara at her fiery best!

Comedy Western transplanted to a damp climate. Mildly amusing fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I think Titanic (1997) is overrated, people thinks it's a great film but I think 'A night to remember' (1958) is a much better account/film about the ill-fated liner .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Films in general are overrated. I tend to swerve any film that is meant to have a profound message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

is_that_so wrote: »

I like The Quiet Man. It's one of my favourite films and rarely would a year go by without me watching it.

Maureen O'Hara was a fine bird in her time. Stunning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I dislike most films that are generally talked about, but over the past few years, I have particularly hated:

The Shape of Water
    Arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

There's so many rubbish films it's hard to pick out one or two. Anything Star Wars or Sci Fi pure muck. Animation can get the boat. Fantasy nonsense like Lord of the Onion Rings is just baloney. Super Marvels or whatever its called can sling it's hook.

One film i saw mentioned on here was Cardboard Gangsters. Although John Connors was lead actor and he's a bit of a muppet i thought the film was pretty much bang on the money for that gangland life in large parts of Dublin and i give it a healthy 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

The Martian.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mamma Mia
    The stage show was so much better , I thought the film was frantic and too busy and hated Meryl Streep in the role

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Mamma Mia
    The stage show was so much better , I thought the film was frantic and too busy and hated Meryl Streep in the role
    In a world that has Muriel's Wedding why does Mamma Mia even exist ?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I dislike most films that are generally talked about, but over the past few years, I have particularly hated:

The Shape of Water
    Arrival

very few films i hate more than Arrival

the crying game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Ladygoodman1

thats awful brad pit one. The tree of life i think was called. I know.people pretend like it for fear looking stupid. Its the epitome of the emporers new clothes in a film.

• Advertisement

thats awful brad pit one. The tree of life i think was called. I know.people pretend like it for fear looking stupid. Its the epitome of the emporers new clothes in a film.

Agreed, I was seething after sitting through it.

Palme D'or's are for French people. My ex girlfriend used to think it was a type of soap or a shampoo.

Advertisement