Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The Biel tournament gets underway today - a smaller field than usual, but with some of the top GMs.

This is the OTB setup. It doesn't look too bad in fairness, although Harikrishna did knock against the screen by accident and it wobbled a fair bit; it could maybe be knocked in a time scramble, and that would be interesting.

The tournament has decided to overrule FIDE regulations on masks - FIDE say they must be worn; Biel says they're advised but at player discretion because of the screens and the larger tables. The non-master games are at larger tables again, and players have 45 second increments (not 30) to compensate for possibly having to get up to reach the other end of the board.

Cases in Switzerland have risen to 100 or so the past ten days (partly I would say due to increased testing arising from contact tracing). It'll be interesting to see how Biel goes.

110316488_980887405677510_3316731969570903727_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=irdDxvibQe0AX8XKuev&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=552e6232e7ce7a81294dcb1c1e13807d&oe=5F36B085

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

cdeb wrote: »
    The tournament has decided to overrule FIDE regulations on masks - FIDE say they must be worn; Biel says they're advised but at player discretion because of the screens and the larger tables.

110316488_980887405677510_3316731969570903727_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=irdDxvibQe0AX8XKuev&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=552e6232e7ce7a81294dcb1c1e13807d&oe=5F36B085
    Good report/post, but again you are just wrong about the reference to Fide. Wearing masks is NOT a regulation, and Fide do not say they must be worn. They (FIDE) offer GUIDELINES and RECOMMENDATIONS.

For if this was not the case, then they would not be Fide rating the games and tournaments. It is similar to when they brought in the zero tolerance rules about being late for games. It was always discretionary and over time less and less events adopted it. Tournament organizers and players leading the demand for change and practice back to the way it always was. Olympiads being a notable exception.

Fact is, that if you consider all the measures in place and this plastic per-specs in particular, it is obvious that players are perfectly safe and literally being shielded from each other.

A mask, if anything, in this particular context, can only serve to accumulate more germs, and subject to various potential downsides including ill health effects for this wearing a mask for hours each day for 9 days in a row.

As has been mentioned by so many people and so many sources, with little or no scientific evidence conclusively establishing the effectiveness of masks, outside of very narrow circumstances.

The point is not, and never was, that masks don't have a role to play. In very narrow and specific situations and circumstances they most certainly do. They are a tool to combat the virus that has it's place and utility.

The likes of the this Irish ch and the circumstances of it should not require players to be forced to wear a mask. However though we have no way of knowing what the players all think on this specific issue and it is not they who are making the decision about this.

Instead we have the situation in which people are given to understand they have to wear a mask or bugger off and don't play- we wont allow it, that's it! So regardless of any dissenting view as offered here for example (not a solitary one in my view and experience,) just a publicly expressed one, that others will agree with in private, but don't want to rock the boat or make a fuss otherwise.

This simple choice for players, comply or get lost arguably is far from ideal and could so easily be improved upon. It is,or seems to be, a very unfortunate and regressive disappointing way to go. Especially considering that with so many aspects the ICU and the organizers have done really great work for the Irish ch. In part, because players appreciate and understand this very well there will surely be full "compliance" with all the conditions set out.

People will either choose to not bother with the event otherwise, and the vast majority if not all the participants will choose to play under these conditions. A simple enough option available, which has not been mentioned is to allow players themselves agree to not object and leave their opponents the choice not to wear a mask or not as they see fit.

I would be perfectly content to not object to a single player not wearing a mask in any round for the whole event. How would that be a problem for anybody other than my opponent? After all, the masks are supposed to be about protecting the other person and in the circumstances here I feel zero need for such a measure by my opponent.

Of course we can assume that in the case of players like gmac, sodcat (maybe Retd.LoyolaCpt?) and or the anchor guy, they would insist and object to their opponent wearing a mask. which at least is clear enough and we know where we stand with that. So if we concede that and let them have their wish on that, it would still be easy to just ask the rest of the players if they would be willing to not object to their opponents choosing not to wear a mask, just like they won't doing in Biel it seems.

I could be wrong, but I would guess (not going to bet on it) many players would be fine with this. As I have said I would have no objection to my opponent wearing a mask or choosing not to. Hardly think there would not be others with the same idea.

If chess is to be attractive or even viable at all, then regardless of the Irish ch I simply think the wearing off masks will have to be optional or chess will as good as die- and very swiftly- or perhaps I should say, it won't return and will become an even more marginal activity and interest for people.

I would be content to call it a day on chess after this Irish ch, which, as things are now I would be only playing partly out of spite or anger, at least to some extent, and not letting a crude attitude of "wear a mask or bugger off and don't play" prevail.

Before I made a single post on the issue here, I was resigned to simply not bothering with the Irish ch or chess at all and comfortably content never to play another tournament ever again. Especially with the direction chess is going. Others have expressed similar sentiments to me over the past few months.

However there would be a certain satisfaction in now playing regardless of anything and simply laugh in the face of the madness or and meanness associated the issue of mask choice deniers.

If so many of our top players (free pass for minors- who are in a totally different situation) are OK with playing under the conditions (though we have not publicly heard from them- I have privately in a few cases) then that is just the way it is, and they are welcome to carry on in that vein.

Oh, and not that it matters much, as there are so many "arguments" for and against, just like the debate about being a 1 Metrerist or a 2 Metrerist (Currently 2 Metreism is the more dominant and prevailing here in Ireland) there was another of the mask stories today - this time about asthma and the health risks of prolonged mask use.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/health/asthma-sufferers-warned-not-wear-22054249?fbclid=IwAR1y5chYziGlkMqx9st5Turu73k7luTmRs6P0e4huEQc02eStDk2SnearXc

Thinking of options, let us see if Greece makes the "Green List" of countries on Monday. Fresh air mask free on a beautiful Greek island is surely worth consideration to escape the misery in Ireland?

You know it would be easier to unearth whatever your point is if you kept your posts to under 10000 words?

FIDE's document is not a guideline or a recommendation; it's a protocol. Specifically, it's only for FIDE-run events, which presumably is why Biel can ignore it. But as a protocol, it's quite clear about masks -
    FIDE wrote:
    All players, arbiters and officials shall wear masks.
    Participants must use masks to avoid the possible spread of the Novel Coronavirus.

There may well be a debate to be had around masks - though the fact is we don't really know how these tournaments will pan out, so conservatism seems to me a good bet. And unfortunately, when you start talking nonsense about covid being transmitted by talking, or that public transport is more dangerous than chess because it's a shorter exposure, or start trotting out discredited American academics to back your case up (listening to discredited Americans is a big part of why the disease is so rampant there), then you really do forfeit your right to have your view treated equally to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pdemp

talking nonsense about covid being transmitted by talking, .
    Rest likely nonsense, but talking is listed by CDC as transmission paths. 5 minutes talking generates roughly the same number of droplets as a cough. Hence masks when interacting with people indoors. CDC have serious top notch people (their population health tools are 10-15 years ahead of EU), known for measured risk assessments rather than conservative over protection, so when they advocate 6 foot minimum plus face masks, there's a very good reason.

That's interesting; thanks for that. CDC does list it alright -
    The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks.

That said, I think given the chess situation - sat opposite someone for 4 hours or so - the other transmission factors (coughing, as you note, but also breathing, given the long time-frame) are by themselves surely enough to warrant a mask. And let's not forget about offering draws, adjusting pieces, and even the bit of chat before/after a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pdemp

That's interesting; thanks for that. CDC does list it alright -

That said, I think given the chess situation - sat opposite someone for 4 hours or so - the other transmission factors (coughing, as you note, but also breathing, given the long time-frame) are by themselves surely enough to warrant a mask. And let's not forget about offering draws, adjusting pieces, and even the bit of chat before/after a game.

Yeah, the (pre covid) paper that shows 5 mins talking equivalent to a cough droplet wise found something similar for breathing but with more variation. Risk assessors wouldn't consider the weirdness of a chess environment in national guidelines. Plus of course sighs when things don't go your way/opponent missed your blunder.

I've put the county breakdowns from march 21 to two days ago on a map(/county population) here http://covid19.dazult.com/ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

A statistical website - run by statisticians
    Their view on transmission of Corina virus:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-to-make-indoor-air-safer/

Looks like the City of Dublin Major could have gone ahead after all.
    Guidelines have been “clarified” today. And up to 50 can be at an event if social distancing measures can be put in place.
    It’s a pity that the “clarification” didn’t come earlier.
    Very poor dissemination of safety measures by the government!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Guidelines have been “clarified” today. And up to 50 can be at an event if social distancing measures can be put in place.
    That is very frustrating for all those who were looking forward to playing this weekend but at least it offers hope that the City Of Dublin may still go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

THat's so annoying. I don't think this govt has the same kind of clarity as the previous one - even if one didn't agree with them... I'll have to save all my prep and coaching for the CoD so! Fingers crossed ....

The Irish Major should have been designated a “chess dinner”. Then it could have gone ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

Can someone please provide the flyer for the Cork Online Congress? The link on the ICU website is missing.

This Covid thing is becoming really frustrating from a chess point of view. It was great that the Irish Championship went ahead and hopefully the City of Dublin will too but after that the outlook is pretty bleak. I can't see many, if any, clubs holding their usual congresses so at best we will only have whatever the I.C.U itself organizes. When we do finally get back to normality I am going to play in every tournament I can find to make up for this drought, I'm a chess junkie who needs his fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Can you point to where you see this? I've had a read through the guidelines a few times and can't seem to find it..

I just got this from the HSE website
    "Up to 50 people can attend a wedding, including the staff of the venue. Some cultural venues, like theatres, cinemas and galleries can also have up to 50 people in attendance, but must make sure that physical distance measures are in place."

Chess is a cultural event. I think if permission was asked from the local Gardai/ HSE and they were shown the safety measures that were in place for the Irish Championships then they would probably allow a tournament of 30 or so people without any objection.

Advertisement