Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I mentioned her predecessor and the person above me clearly was not speaking in anyway of malice towards her, and I too have no agenda. I would say that the "VMTV" thread over the years had a number of people mention one of her would be successors and generally not in a very positive light with nobody even stating that they should not have been mentioned in the thread.

The problems that exist at RTÉ do flow up to the DG therefore it isn't a "retirement gig", DG's are afford plenty of time to give their opinions in the press and at the Oireachtas and it is at those forms that they get to defend themselves and RTÉ. The same goes for the Chair of RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don’t mean to accuse anyone of malice…all I want, as a moderator, is for the conversation to become a bit less about the person - who will be gone from RTE fairly soon, the competition for her replacement has been advertised. Policies and decisions are fair game but let’s not make it personal. Thanks.

Still no sign of the weekly Irish language current affairs program that Jon Williams announced before his departure

3rd renovated RTÉ Radio studio, I think?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Euronews is apparently in a lot of financial trouble at the moment. The new owners of the channel Alpac Capital have made major cutbacks to it's staff numbers and closure of major offices. A plan to sell off the current Euronews HQ in Lyon is also included in the cutbacks.

There was a strike which took place among Euronews staff at the company HQ in Lyon two weeks ago. There was fear among staff working there that it could be dismantled.

The union reps of the staff had said that staff morale was very low with a huge detoiration in working conditions at the station. One staff member who represents one of the unions that the station was being treated like it was carpet radio.

If Euronews closes down later this year; it would be a huge shame to see it close for good. RTÉ News and Current Affairs may have to provide overnight news coverage from another station for 3 of their stations in the near future. I think I heard somewhere that RTÉ still have a minority shareholding with Euronews. Could they lose money on not providing the channel anymore?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Euronews have unfortunately been messed about with, to put it mildly, with Comcast coming on board with all sorts of grand plans and then jumping ship (and taking their grand plans with them) just as quickly when they ended up owning Sky News. They had a niche with a particular format and should never have went down the road of putting faces on screen. Their best bet is to head back to their original format, as quickly as they can, one picture with different language voiceovers. I think they are heading in that direction now to be fair. I don’t think they’ll end up closed down. If they did it would be sad to see them go but there are other options for RTE out there, including the test card if it comes to it (but it won’t).

IMO as TG4 has reduced down their hours for France 24 there might be an option there. Carrying EuroNews across 4 channels (inc +1) is crazy TBH, and always was.

Anyone know if RTÉ cut it coverage of the Ladies Soccer yesterday for Soc Dems Co-Leader's press conference yesterday?

______

Yesterday

The 1967 James Bond movie You Only Live Twice is the teatime St Patrick's Day Movie on RTE One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Surprised they chose that instead of Darby O'Gill

• Advertisement

one of their former Audienc Council members might have given out about that !

Anyone know how well or badly Smother and The Dry have been promoted, I notice that RTÉ have largely stop produced trailers for each episode, certainly its been the case for imports.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Dry is being promoted constantly on Radio 1. Haven't heard much about Smother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

I noticed this morning at 6 am.

RTE 1 - Euro News

RTE 2 - Euro News

RTE New - Euro News

What an embarrassment. I have Euro News. If I want to watch it I will. What will RTE do if Euro News joins Saorview?

Euronews is unlikely to be added to Saorview...TBH... though odd to see Sky News on the platform... and challenge.

You would think that RTÉ would take news programming from BBC NI on the News Channel, or perhaps other programming from their EBU partners.

This goes back to why RTÉ's only daytime show only airs for 8 months of the year and why RTÉ News take a holiday for 6 weeks during the summer.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't think the financial woes with Euronews have been resolved yet. They recently made an announcement that their English speaking newsroom & head office will be moving out to Brussels.

Their former head office in Lyon will be a newsroom for viewers in Russia, Turkey and I think the ME as well.

They have to do all of that work along with making massive cutbacks in their staff numbers while trying to keep their heads above water.

@deezell

I know you posted about this working in RTÉ in the VM Thread but thought this might be of interest here.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭deezell

Thanks! Another thread to increase my screen time with!. I remember that buzzword well, ENG. Once the camcorders approached the size and weight of the 16mm film machines, that heralded film demise. It was a long time before they came close in quality though, properly lit and exposed 16mm film was almost cinematic, indeed I ran a set of 4 Bell and Howell projectors as a part of my next job, they were still used up to the noughties. The IFI had a huge library of training material on 16mm.

Funny story. The now defunct Agricultural college in Meath ordered a film called "'The Life of Seeds" on the same day the social studies department in former DIT ordered a sex education film called "The Seeds of Life".... Yes, they got mixed up. I know the social science students were entertained by tractors sowing barley, they thought it was a metaphor. I don't know what the farmers in Meath made of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

What Audience is RTE Two aimed at, as it is showing programs programs that were on RTE One last year. Home Rescue the big Fix.

Probably the audience that watches Two but doesn't watch One. They're entirely different for the most part. They won't have seen those programs.

Home Rescue The Big Fix is a new series RTÉ2 have very little in terms of local content, Home Rescue is one of their bigger home produced shows and it seems that RTÉ feel that it should air on RTÉ2 first and then on RTÉ ONE.

I could understand from a Public service point of view why RTÉ might consider repeating a quality Doc or Drama from RTÉ ONE on 2 but a large copy of DIY SOS The big Build or any lifestyle programming?

RTÉ2 is really now just for sport with sport RTÉ2 is averaging 6% of the audience while without it around 4%.

No news programming and very little local content, and badly marketed international content.

______

Yesterday

RTÉ2 is really now just for sport with sport RTÉ2 is averaging 6% of the audience while without it around 4%. No news programming and very little local content...

Thats where I'll be tonight, watching Pep and Tuschel battle it out. RTE2 used to be the preferred channel for a lot of the more edgey/trendy/generation (insert appropriate character) programs? Pure mule, Fade st? Some of it amusing, a lot if it Shyte. I'm one of the 2% who only watches RTE 2 sport, though maybe on Sunday I'll flick it on before dinner to watch animals eating each other, ideal appetite builder.

• Advertisement

Basically RTÉ have cut back on all of their more "yuff" stuff on 2, meaning cuts across the board and any "edgy" entertainment programming banished to the interweb where it gets no promotion and is even worse than the "network 2" type programming so bad it eventually ends up on the channel bereft of any other local programming, while the "edgy" drama's such as Conversations with Friends and The Dry now air on ONE, and that really started with the second series of RAW way back when.

They wanted to move sport over to ONE.

RTÉ2 outside of Young People's is so commercial that really its audience share can't be justified, perhaps if it was making some of the programming that TG4 were doing you might think such audience levels were justified.

______

Yesterday

They should move the Late Late to Rte2. Then people can not watch it there instead of not watching it on Rte1.

Didn't they do that with The Tubrity Show on 2fm!

I see RTÉ2 airing BBC Scotland's Home of the Year Scotland, you'd wonder why they don't take the more "edgy" stuff from the BBC Scotland channel.

______

Yesterday

With all the talk at digital switch over about RTE Junior having to remain simulcast on RTE 2 from 7am to 2pm due to lack of ministerial approvel, it's funny how rte junior on 2 was reduced to a trickle years later and replaced by Tween/Teen RTE

Basically Dept. isn't all that interested, you'd have to email them, and TBH neither is RTÉ.

RTÉ have a new children's brand called RTÉ KIDS, but it rarely appears in promos or on end captions.

This means RTÉ have three children's brands (when they've cut funding to children's TV)

RTÉ KIDS which they currently use as an over arching brand for RTÉ's young peoples department

RTÉjr which cross Radio and TV, and has its own number of hours on RTÉ2

TRTÉ which has only really got idents and with promo designated as RTÉ2, and has been scaled back massively, in a view to increase audience figures on RTÉ2 (see my previous post to see how well that is going).

With no "Teen" Service, and massive reduction in "yuff" programming across RTÉ2 and the player.

I suspect that RTÉ KIDS will be the main brand whenever they get around to it.

Also AFAIR

RTÉ2 Blocks were

TRTÉ - 7am to 9am

RTÉjr - 9am to 12pm

TRTÉ - 12 to 2

RTÉjr - 2 - 4

TRTÉ - 4 - 5:30

?????

______

Yesterday

What is 'Yuff'? Does it mean programmes for morons? The term doesn't Google very well.

It the term I use for "Youth" upon those who think they are "hip" and "with it". E.G. RTÉ are totally down with the "yuff", in other words RTÉ believe they know what "young people" want and think they are themselves very "hip" and "edgy".

Programmes made by morons for no one in reality.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Budgets, F1 use camera lenses with built-in fans to 'blow' the rain away. It's very clever kit. I don't think they built it in house so should come off a shelf from a manufacturer.

But no matter what you do the rain will always get in and unless you have someone stood in front of the camera doing it every 5 seconds its pointless and might as well let it hit the lenses.

Think for the poor operator who has to stand in it for hours. Ya couldn't pay me enough!

On holidays at the moment in Ireland, with limited WiFi and data.

Turned on TV this morning, only Saorview.

8am RTE2 still showing EuroNews. 8.15am RTE2 shows some RTEJnr programming with about an hour mixed with Irish language.

Meanwhile RTE Jnr channel is showing its usual 1-4yr old stuff.

TG4s kids in Irish language.

Basically nothing there for 6+ kids at a time they'd be up, which can be 7am.

And no wonder kids are turning to Netflix and other media streaming services when the main broadcaster is not arsed.

Is that 6+ age, or have you more than 6 kids with you on holiday? 😬

• Advertisement

I think RTE should buy family guy and American dad for RTE 2, both shows would be a welcome return to Saorview. Also why is the Simpsons buried in a 4.30pm slot ?

Don't think it would be classified as a "holiday" if it was 6 kids. :)

Just an observation anyway about how they seem to have abandoned the kids.

They've abandoned broadcasting if at 8:15 Euronews is still airing.

______

Yesterday

From what I've observed these days, small gangs of kids out with their parents all seem to have a tablet, phone or device of some sort. As small as two year old will be glued to Cocomelons or the like while the grown ups can at least get a bite to eat in peace. Terrible parenting of course, but..... (I know about cocomelons because granddaughter is two, and I've to mind her while Mrs Deezell is in the kitchen 😁)

RTÉ should consider: -

1. Funding games for children, that they can place on their platform and other platforms
    2. Funding programming for children, that will not only appear on their platforms but other platforms that children are using
    3. Marketing their products for children on apps and games that children are using, e.g. advertising on Youtube but using a clip of one of their shows e.g. News2Day's headlines appearing before a Mindcraft video.

______

Yesterday

Careful now, parents would really love RTE if their little darlings are shouting and whinging every ten minutes for the next level of some embedded TV game. I put a few games on the Sony Android TV for grandsons, within ten minutes they absolutely HAD to have the treasure/blaster/superpower or whatever tf the game authors had enticed them with. €5, €10, never ending.

Win your TV License fee for a year! Games would be free.

______

Yesterday

Cleanfeed reporting new Idents for RTÉ ONE, look and sound very similar to the original late night and movie idents when RTÉ ONE divide their idents between schedules, in more recent years those idents have been used across programming regardless of time.

Not really sure why RTÉ ONE doesn't use the mix of idents for their "special" weeks such as Week on the Farm etc or even the St. Patrick's Day ones, they are all very general, IMO.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

They look/feel like temporary ones just to give a bit of a fresh look, ahead of (hopefully) a major overhaul.

I still don't understand why we have ONE and 2, and don't get me started on how awful RTÉ 2's on screen look is.

• Advertisement

They keep rebranding 2/Two. Launched in '78 as RTE 2, in '88 it was Network 2, in '97, N2, RTE Two in 2004, and back to RTE2 (without the space) in 2014.

Different times they generally got it right most times

RTÉ 2 (1978) as rebroadcaster of programming from the UK and more US programming

RTÉ 2 (1986) bring it in line with RTÉ 1

NETWORK 2 (1988) moving children's content largely over to 2, youth programming, some original programming.

NETWORK TWO (1996) keeping much with 1988 but that RTÉ branding was used more

N2 (1997) extending its programming, making daytime for children's content.

RTÉ N2 (2003) the start of its downfall

RTÉ TWO (2004) still producing some irish content but slowly dying

RTÉ2 (2014) on life support, continued cuts to the service.

______

Yesterday

The forty shades of 2! Or should that be the 40 sh......

Did the plan for an Irish language weekly current affairs program go out the door with Jon Williams ? I thought it would have been a perfect vehicle for grainne seoige to relaunch her TV career with RTE

I get the feeling that the Seoiges' currency has run out. In this thicktok age you daren't leave the public view for a week, let alone years, else you're yesterday's news. Even if you desperately need a break, do something, a crappy quiz show, or drive around in a camper van, or some other drivel.

She's been demoted to The Six O'Clock Show. Unlikely that the News and Current Affairs programme As Geailge will see the light of day TBH.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭butwhynot

RTÉjr seems to be in high(er) definition on the player now. Last time I checked it was broadcasting in SD but labelled HD similar to RTÉ News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

RTÉ News & RTÉjr have been available on the web version player in 1080p for ages

https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

What the hell is the point of these live series (e.g. Big Week on the Farm, the upcoming Hospital Live) that RTÉ 1 shows on consecutive nights in occasional weeks?

It's likely as a result of research into current viewing habits, where people prefer to serially view a reality show over a short period, or binge watch the whole thing on player. Attention spans are shorter, you're not likely to get a particular audience segment tuning in once a week for a month or two. Short sharp production over 3 or 4 nights, push it on player from night one, and advertise constantly in the breaks until you feel like screaming at the TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭butwhynot

Yes, the option for 1080p has been there for ages, but the quality was the same whether you chose 1080p or 540p. Now there’s a difference. RTÉ News is definitely not HD

• Advertisement
Advertisement