Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grievance with Church of Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

In Fairness to the Op,

Should anyone have to tell the Clergy what to do,

Surely its part of there Criteria to Keep in Touch

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

faolteam wrote: »
    In Fairness to the Op,

Should anyone have to tell the Clergy what to do,

Surely its part of there Criteria to Keep in Touch
    Keeping in touch is, by definition, a two-way thing.

Sure, we might feel that a clergyman should be keeping in touch with elderly/vulnerable parishioners (or should be seeing that someone from the parish community is) but, if that's not happening, then the very criticism you are making of the clergyman also points you to what you should be doing about it - namely, get in touch with the clergyman.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mod: This thread has been closed pending deletion at the request of the OP. If anyone has a strong objection with good reason as to why this thread should not be deleted or re-opened PM me. If none are received this thread will be deleted tomorrow.

Mod: Thread re-opened at the request of the OP and other posters. Please keep it friendly and respectful as is possible folks. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I've been following this thread.

(a) How does your father feel about the Rector in question, has he got a good relationship with him, and would he like to have a phone call from him? Does it bother your father as much as yourself that there has not been any communication?

(b) Are you yourself a churchgoer and if so does your own Rector visit his/her parishioners?

(c) Does your father have friends in the parish who keep in touch with him? Does he telephone his own friends in the parish? This is the alternative when the Rector fails in his duty of care.

There are some fantastic Rectors in the CoI, I know a couple of them, but I also know some others that are woefully bad when it comes to visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I've been following this thread.

(a) How does your father feel about the Rector in question, has he got a good relationship with him, and would he like to have a phone call from him? Does it bother your father as much as yourself that there has not been any communication? In my opinion when you hit a certain age there is less interest in the person if that makes sense, instead of a qualtiy chat its hello , how are you and Next,

He would never say it about getting a phone call but deep down i know he would particulary at his age , and such a long time frame now over 9 months really ?

Probably me more that he and other parishoners have been ignored .

(b) Are you yourself a churchgoer and if so does your own Rector visit his/her parishioners? No im not and by no way am i saying all rectors are the same, quite a lot do keep in touch.

(c) Does your father have friends in the parish who keep in touch with him? Does he telephone his own friends in the parish? This is the alternative when the Rector fails in his duty of care. Yes He Does , and yes he does phone them and they are Dumbfounded by the way it is been run

There are some fantastic Rectors in the CoI, I know a couple of them, but I also know some others that are woefully bad when it comes to visiting.

.... i filled in above

I've read your replies. The other parishioners being dumbfounded makes me wonder if the Rector has changed his habits recently and if so, then why has he changed? If there has been no change then the parishioners wouldn't expect anything and surely would be more disappointed than dumbfounded which to me seems more surprise and shock at the behaviour. But this might be a different problem. I'd wonder if the Rector himself is having problems dealing with the job other than wilful neglect and carelessness. That would certainly be something for a ‘serving’ church like the CoI to address.

I definitely get where you're at and what is upsetting you. You're right, a simple phone call would go a long way towards helping an elderly gentleman feel he is a valued member of the parish, that the church is interested in him. Rectors are given a parish in which to not only preach the word of God, to preach about God's love for all of us but also to practice it and be an example of how a Christian should behave.

I'm glad you have made it clear that you are not attacking all Rectors, though I too have witnessed the carelessness of some. There is no addressing it if the Archbishop does not reply, you've hit the ceiling at this point. But I would not automatically assume that the Archbishop has not taken note of it. Perhaps a quick email around the Diocese has been (and certainly should be) sent, reminding all those receiving their stipend that they should 'love thy neighbour as thyself'.

On another point, I have never heard that any Rector is given a change of car every two years, or any time. I believe Rectors buy their own car but the parish probably pays for his petrol expenses, ideally for parish visiting!!! I don’t know of any parish that could afford to buy a car for a Rector and I’d say any Rector that requests same from the Parish Treasurer would be laughed out of the meeting! Just my experience anyway.

Seems to me that the OP 's Father Can't Get to Church at this Time and he was just upset that his own Vicar wouldn't bother to Check up on The Parishioners by a Simple Phone call, I may be wrong,

Let's hope that any C of I Clergymen are reading this and will talk about it and maybe take a Leaf out of Mayor of Galway, Mike Cubbard's Initiative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

OP, I'm curious as to how well known your father is to the Vicar? Would your father have been a weekly or at least monthly attendee at church services?
    Also how long has he been attending the church and how long has he known this particular vicar? And also may I ask how old the vicar is and his state of health?

There are two sides to every story and so far we have only heard your side..

PM sent to OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

Our rector is the same, no visiting, no phone calls, hardly any service online, if you bump into him, he will say how are you and all belonging to you. No effort made though to contact you. I know of one family who are so annoyed they said they would contact the archbishop. Personally I feel the church of ireland will go down in numbers because of COvid and the church being closed and the biggest threat of all, lazy rectors who dont keep on top of things, no people, no church. I do my job 100 percent, why cant they.

brookers wrote: »
    Our rector is the same, no visiting, no phone calls, hardly any service online, if you bump into him, he will say how are you and all belonging to you. No effort made though to contact you. I know of one family who are so annoyed they said they would contact the archbishop. Personally I feel the church of ireland will go down in numbers because of COvid and the church being closed and the biggest threat of all, lazy rectors who dont keep on top of things, no people, no church. I do my job 100 percent, why cant they.

I agree that Some Rectors are Lazy

Im just reading this and your in the same boat just like the Vast Majority of other Church of Ireland Parishoners, left in Limbo

Well i have contacted the Archbishop Of Dublin , Michael Jackson ,Not even a response From Him,

My Father's Parish Has Two Rectors Yes thats Right Two Rectors, Absolutely No Excuse here, as i said before the Church of Ireland is Run like a Business

I hope A Journalist from the Papers is Reading this, I think this is a Good Story needs to be Publicised,

Shame on You Shame on You CoI...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Give it up will you. Just another OTT rant about the Church of Ireland and I've never heard of two rectors in a parish. As for supplying rectors with a new car every two years and running the church like a business.....please. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

torrevieja wrote: »
    My Father's Parish Has Two Rectors Yes thats Right Two Rectors,

no it doesn't

Maybe a rector and a curate, but a rector is the solo person in charge. there are no rector jobshares that I'm aware of.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Give it up will you. Just another OTT rant about the Church of Ireland and I've never heard of two rectors in a parish. As for supplying rectors with a new car every two years and running the church like a business.....please. :rolleyes:

What's wrong Del Monte afraid to hear the truth,
    How You can Say its OTT that the Old Folks are Neglected, Disgraceful Del Monte Should be Ashamed, Im Speaking for the Old People Who are Neglected and Treated Like Dirt.

Yes one Rector and one Curate Thanks Martin for that.

Maybe if there was Three We Could have one person Dial the Number and one Hold the Phone for the Rector.

Answer me why a Rector can not make a phone call to there Parishoners?
    Answer me why a Curate can not make a Phone Call to there Parishoners?
    Answer me Why an Archbishop of Dublin Refuses Emails and Letters about this Situation.

Don't forget a Rector gets a House to live in with there Family, please stop

i Guess thats not a Perk, All Bills paid for sure im OTT Again

Your a Joke Monte

So sorry i gave wrong title if i gave the real Title Your eyes would open.

Not one Rector From the CoI has bothered to even Reply or Give an Answer For there Organisation, Now Why is That ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think Martinedwards sums it up here The Church of Ireland, Clergymen get well paid there car changed every two years, House to live in and don't give a Damm about there Parishoners or there Staff,they are there own Self Employed Hob Nobs,
    The Church of Ireland is run as a Buisiness, i could say more about that but ill leave it for another Day,

Bit over dramatic, I would say.
    Sure, as in any profession, some people are lazy, or disillusioned, or perhaps in the wrong job.
    They get paid a salary roughly in line with an EO in the Civil Service, taxed the same way.
    House is provided and house insurance and maintenance looked after.
    ESB and phone, last time I looked into it, 50% was paid by the Church, 50% by the Rev.
    Car. They buy their own car and tax, insure and maintain it themselves.
    They get an allowance per KM travelled on Church business, that should cover depreciation and services etc.
    When the miles get high, they have to replace it themselves.
    If the clutch blows up, or whatever, they fix it out of their own pocket.
    Do some milk the system? Probably.
    At the end of the day, as retirement approaches they will need to have saved enough money to buy a home to live in with their husband/wife and perhaps dependant children.
    Pension depends on years served.
    Never came across any that got "rich", although the pension should leave them comfortable.

From what i see here the Op has asked a very Simple question why do the Rectors etc not Keep in touch with there Parishoners in these Dramatic times.

You Really Would think they Would, But the Conclusion i can see here is the Rector or Curates, The Fact that there is two in Question are Lazy.

Famous Quote comes to mind now ( Practice What you Preach )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Thread continues to be a disgraceful train wreck and would have been closed long ago if the subject was an Imam rather than a C of I clergyman. After all the posts it's still not clear whether the OP's father attended his local church i.e. is he known to the rector?

Your a Joke Monte

Mod warning: No personal attacks please, thanks for your attention

Thread continues to be a disgraceful train wreck and would have been closed long ago if the subject was an Imam rather than a C of I clergyman.

Mod warning: Less of the back seat moderation please. Given you've been carded and had substandard posts deleted from this thread, you're hardly in any position to complain about the quality of it's content.

• Advertisement

After all the posts it's still not clear whether the OP's father attended his local church i.e. is he known to the rector?

I think this is a very valid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

smacl wrote: »
    I think this is a very valid question.

I asked this question a long time back and didn't get an answer..

If Someone is 85 years old, Belonging to the Parish since he was a School Kid,

Regular Church Goer all His Life, Till Covid Came.

Seen Many Decent Clergymen Pass through the Church including the Now Two Amigos,

Do i really have to Say Anymore. ( Is That Not Good Enough Seriously )

Two Clergymen and an Archbishop Dead Silence Live with it Folks Thats the Way the Church Is Going.

Not one Rector From the CoI has bothered to even Reply or Give an Answer or Defend there Organisation here , Now Why is That ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Not one Rector From the CoI has bothered to even Reply or Give an Answer or Defend there Organisation here , Now Why is That ....

There is only one Church leader that I am aware of who is a registered user of Boards and he leads an Evangelical Alliance church.

( That's not CoI )

So we Don't Get any Church of Ireland Rectors in here Reading these Columns,

Prob too Busy Anyway

Ah Fair Enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Prob too Busy Anyway

Ah Fair Enough

How would we know?
    Unless they identified themselves as such.

What happens when you pick up the phone and talk to this guy?
    Ask him why he has ignored your Dad, and let us know how it fares out.

Prob too Busy Anyway

Ah Fair Enough

Don't know what the situation is with CoI but I'm aware of a number of Catholic parishes where there are fewer priests, many of whom are well past retirement age, who have an increased workload due to falling vocations. Very easy for things to be missed in this scenario. I'd humbly suggest talking by phone to the rector you have issue with and figure out what the problem is rather than speculating here, which frankly isn't likely to achieve that much. While it could well be a case of neglect as you're suggesting, it is always worth talking to the other person to hear their side of the story. You never really know what they might be facing, particularly in times such as these. While face to face is usually best, it isn't really an option at the moment. I'd recommend phone over text or letter, as the latter are really vehicles for you talking rather than engaging in a conversation. Just my 2c...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Also perhaps worth bearing in mind that a parish is not just the rector, but the whole parish community. The parish community should support elderly, lonely or vulnerable people but it's not especially necessary that all the support should be provided directly by the rector. In a healthy parish people will look after one another; the rector may have a leadership role to play in this, making sure that it happens, etc, but it's not necessary that he personally be the front-line provider of care and comfort to everyone in need.

I wouldn't be asking what the rector has done in this regard; I'd be asking what the parish has done. And if the parish has done nothing, then maybe talk to the rector not about why he hasn't contacted a person in need of support, but about why no-one has contacted that person.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Also perhaps worth bearing in mind that a parish is not just the rector, but the whole parish community. The parish community should support elderly, lonely or vulnerable people but it's not especially necessary that all the support should be provided directly by the rector. In a healthy parish people will look after one another; the rector may have a leadership role to play in this, making sure that it happens, etc, but it's not necessary that he personally be the front-line provider of care and comfort to everyone in need.

I wouldn't be asking what the rector has done in this regard; I'd be asking what the parish has done. And if the parish has done nothing, then maybe talk to the rector not about why he hasn't contacted a person in need of support, but about why no-one has contacted that person.

Above is exactly what I asked in my #36 post. The OP replied that other parishioners were in contact, so at least that community is answering the need.

There are too many strange things about this, the free car, the two Rectors, definitely strange. Not contacting parishioners, yes, that one I definitely believe.

• Advertisement

I have left numerous messages on phone and texts nothing no reply

it's not especially necessary that all the support should be provided directly by the rector. i disagree with this comment, Parishoners look up to there Rectors Curates etc, for Guidance. Support, Faith, All three are Missing Now

Advertisement