Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grievance with Church of Ireland

Options
  • 07-10-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

Who do i report A Clergyman who Snubs his parishioners and is two busy to Make Contact with and not Fulfilling his Work Commitments to

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Tork

The Bishop?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Dare I ask, but have you tried attending one of his services - you know - in the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

His supervisor... Don't the church of Ireland have Bishops or the equivalent? Bear in mind you are asking this question to a probably majority Catholic audience

torrevieja wrote: »
    Wow Lot of Wasters in here tonight this a Genuine Question what a bunch of ?????

You didn't answer my question - attend one of his Sunday services - I assume he opens the church on a Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

I don't know about C of I, but your Parish may be in a grouping with other nearby parishes. If it is then that grouping might have a Moderator who would be one of the Priests of a Parish in that group. This might only be an RC thing though.

I'd suggest the next step then would be to contact your Diocese office and address your concerns to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Dare I ask, but have you tried attending one of his services - you know - in the church?

Its Not about me Dare Its Parishoners in General of the Church, Some People Can not go Unfortunately

I don't know about C of I, but your Parish may be in a grouping with other nearby parishes. If it is then that grouping might have a Moderator who would be one of the Priests of a Parish in that group. This might only be an RC thing though.

I'd suggest the next step then would be to contact your Diocese office and address your concerns to them?

A Letter and Emails were sent to the Archbishop who just ignored them Sad Really. guess the whole set up is a Clan...

It all sounds a tall story. The OP comes on looking for advice of who to contact to report a clergyman and later states that the Archbishop has already been contacted. Queen Elizabeth II is head of the Church of England, Defender of the Faith etc.etc. so you could always drop her an email as there's no Pope to appeal to in the Anglican community. :D

What are you talking about ? Yes the Archbishop was contcted ,i had done that sorry i ddnt mention this at beginnin,

yea a big consirpacy goin on here

I do suffer from dylslexia

Sorry i asked the question, No Wonder People Dont bother Askin

Mods delete this Thread Please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

What are you talking about ? Yes the Archbishop was contcted ,i had done that sorry i ddnt mention this at beginnin,

I have nothing to add, except report posts that are nonsense.

I don't know why people feel the need to be heard even they have burning useful to say..

On a Christianity forum as well lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

What exactly has this person done (or not done)?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    His supervisor... Don't the church of Ireland have Bishops or the equivalent? Bear in mind you are asking this question to a probably majority Catholic audience

Where does the OP specify that it's a Church of Ireland issue? (Prior to mentioning the archbishop).
    Who do i report A Clergyman who Snubs his parishioners and is two busy to Make Contact with and not Fulfilling his Work Commitments to

Thanks in Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Its Sad really the OP asks a question obviously has a Dyslexia Issue,

Then gets blasted with Smart Remarks by the Keyboard Warriors,

Im sure it takes a lot to come in here and post a question under those circumstances

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mod: A lot of new posters to Christianity forum in this thread, so firstly welcome. It appears unfortunately that some of you have not read the charter which includes the following;
    1. The purpose of this forum is to discuss Christian belief in general, and specific elements of it, between Christians and non-Christians alike. This forum has the additional purpose of being a point on Boards.ie where Christians may ask other Christians questions about their shared faith. In this regard, Christians should not have to defend their faith from overt or subtle attack.

and

6. Do not post anything intended to inflame or insult. The goal of this forum is to be a place where ideas relating to Christianity are expounded, debated and challenged. While discussion is encouraged, each member is expected to remain within the boundaries of taste and decency. If you disagree with a opinion expressed, please do so in a well mannered fashion.

I've deleted a number of posts that fail to meet these very basic criteria, any further such posts will first get infracted and then deleted. Repeated posts of this nature will get the poster banned from this forum.

Apologies if this seems a bit harsh but we've had a number of reports that this forum is subject to ongoing low level trolling which needs to be dealt with. If you've any comments on this, please make them in the feedback forum here, do not post in thread. Thanks for your attention.

Mod: Rather than deleting the thread at this point, I've deleted all the offensive posts and will deal with any posters who continue in this manner. Let me know if you'd like to continue with the thread on that basis or would still like to see it deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks in Advance

God.

I’m only surprised that the all-seeing, all-powerful deity hasn’t done something already.

karlitob wrote: »
    God.

I’m only surprised that the all-seeing, all-powerful deity hasn’t done something already.

Mod: Carded for breach of the forum charter. Next one will be a ban from this forum. Please do not post here again without reading the charter. Do not reply to this in thread, we have a feedback thread for that purpose. Thanks for your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Thanks in Advance
    Is he your clergyman? If not, butt out, for two reasons. First, you are not well-positioned to solve problems between a clergyman and his flock; this is a relationship that you are not involved in. Secondly, this is not your business.

If he is your clergyman, your first step, obviously, is to talk to him. Let him know of the problems you perceive, listen to his view of the matter, try to find common ground, etc. Complaining about your clergyman before you have talked to your clergyman is (a) rude and (b) not a very promising way of improving his relationship with you and with the rest of his flock, which is the outcome you want here.

Right. He is your clergyman, and you have tried without success to resolve directly with him the problems you perceive. If you think the problems, and your lack of success in resolving them, are the fault of the clergyman your next port of call is the bishop (assuming we are talking about an episcopally-governed denomination here). And I see from the thread that you have in fact already contacted the bishop, but don't feel you got a hearing.

At this point, if I were you, I'd be thinking about whether I was in the right denomination/congregation. If both the priest and the bishop are basically dismissing you and your concerns, this begins to look like a systemic problem rather than an individual lapse Do you really want to be part of a community that treats you like this/that you can't get on with? That's obviously a decision only you can make. But if you do decide to stay, you may want to work on some strategy for improving your relationship with them/finding out what is wrong. And, again, this involves going and talking to them about why you feel disregarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

If it IS church of Ireland, and the person is Rector, then you can contact the bishop if you like, but honestly? it will make no difference.

(I am a C of I lay reader BTW, so this is correct)

In the C of I, the rector is pretty much boss. so long as they have a service on a Sunday they can spend the rest of the week playing Call of Duty in their pants, the bishop can cajole them and ask them to do a bit more, but otherwise, tough.

If its a curate, or a Bishop's curate, then different story.

realistically, talk to them, if it makes no difference tell them that you're going to a different church.

and go.

Crasp wrote: »
    Where does the OP specify that it's a Church of Ireland issue? (Prior to mentioning the archbishop).

The OP altered the title of the thread and their first post. I had no idea that they were dyslexic or I would have been less dismissive - I thought that it was just the usual lazy Boards user attitude to spelling. Apologies for any offence to the OP, anyway the thread with title altered now makes the question even harder to answer as the specific denomination is important. I'm out so no need to thread ban me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

OP should contact the secretary of the Parish Select Vestry (if COI). They would be obliged to discuss at their next meeting and reply in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The OP altered the title of the thread and their first post. I had no idea that they were dyslexic or I would have been less dismissive - I thought that it was just the usual lazy Boards user attitude to spelling. Apologies for any offence to the OP, anyway the thread with title altered now makes the question even harder to answer as the specific denomination is important. I'm out so no need to thread ban me. :)

Op probably fecked off after last night's nonsense..

(after the usual offensive boards users attitude towards others)

Maybe try not to allow other peoples actions upset you so much and it won't cause an issue in the future?

No folks I did think about not coming back but I feel I may have not explained myself very good maybe the nature of my issue, which I don't like bringing up

Ok so I'll try to explain it better my father belongs to a parish and because of Covid he has not been to Church of Ireland, he is over 85 and of course watches the TV service etc,
    It was in asking when I called to him I asked him if the Rector had been in touch and he said no not even a phone call, since February and which I was taken back a bit considering that there are Two Clergymen in this parish and does it really take much to make a phone call, by the way the father wasn't and wouldn't expect anyone to visit under the circumstances,
    I don't go to this church

I spoke to a select vestry who has said this person does or has not been in touch with anyone and they are clueless to his manner

This the reason why I wanted to air my views which I did to the Archbishop of Dublin through email and letter who just totally ignored my query.

So I guess that what o wanted to know who next .
    It's intersesting to hear people her saying that Clergymen are pretty much there own boss, I think the church is run like a business now and the Hierarchy have forgot there Flock,

Ps I got this typed for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

No folks I did think about not coming back but I feel I may have not explained myself very good maybe the nature of my issue, which I don't like bringing up

Ok so I'll try to explain it better my father belongs to a parish and because of Covid he has not been to Church and he is over 85 and of course watches the TV service etc,
    It was in asking when I called to him I asked him if the Rector had been in touch and he said no not even a phone call, since February and which I was taken back a bit considering that there are Two Clergymen in this parish and does it really take much to make a phone call, by the way the father wasn't and wouldn't expect anyone to visit under the circumstances,
    I don't go to this church

I spoke to a select vestry who has said this person does or has not been in touch with anyone and they are clueless to his manner

This the reason why I wanted to air my views which I did to the Archbishop of Dublin through email and letter who just totally ignored my query.

So I guess that what o wanted to know who next .
    It's intersesting to hear people her saying that Clergymen are pretty much there own boss, I think the church is run like a business now and the Hierarchy have forgot there Flock,

Ps I got this typed for me
    That is poor form you'd think someone from the church would have got in touch once or twice with a letter or a phone call, especially if it is a small congregation.

I don't think there is much you can do. Probably a bit late now but a good approach might be to ask them to keep in touch with your father rather than giving out that they didn't. If they still ignored your dad you would have better grounds for complaint after that. I'm not COI though so I dunno how or if a complaint would work.

If it IS church of Ireland, and the person is Rector, then you can contact the bishop if you like, but honestly? it will make no difference.

(I am a C of I lay reader BTW, so this is correct)

In the C of I, the rector is pretty much boss. so long as they have a service on a Sunday they can spend the rest of the week playing Call of Duty in their pants, the bishop can cajole them and ask them to do a bit more, but otherwise, tough.

I think Martinedwards sums it up here The Church of Ireland, Clergymen get well paid there car changed every two years, House to live in and don't give a Damm about there Parishoners or there Staff,they are there own Self Employed Hob Nobs,
    The Church of Ireland is run as a Buisiness, i could say more about that but ill leave it for another Day,

I would love if someone was to do a Documentary on this and the way these people live and treat their Parishoners.

Im Totally Dissapointed With the Archbishop of Dublin.

So i just want to say this Archbishop, Clergymen Get of your ??? and Keep in Touch With Your Parishoners because your an Absolute Disgrace,

Am i asking too much for a Clergyman to make a Phone Call.

That is poor form you'd think someone from the church would have got in touch once or twice with a letter or a phone call, especially if it is a small congregation.

I don't think there is much you can do. Probably a bit late now but a good approach might be to ask them to keep in touch with your father rather than giving out that they didn't. If they still ignored your dad you would have better grounds for complaint after that. I'm not COI though so I dunno how or if a complaint would work.

I appreciate that John, But Really should i have to ask them at all, is this not part of there Duty,

Seems to me the best way to get a Clergyman to Visit you is if your on Death's Door then they can be sure of been Paid then

Really OP you force me back to the thread with your editing of the title for a second time to make the thread even more offensive and now your attacking all C of I clergymen. I am a member of the church in question and never heard of such a carry on, and can't imagine it taking place in any of the various parishes that I've lived in.

Really OP you force me back to the thread with your editing of the title for a second time to make the thread even more offensive and now your attacking all C of I clergymen. I am a member of the church in question and never heard of such a carry on, and can't imagine it taking place in any of the various parishes that I've lived in.

I Never Named any Church my friend ???

So i don't know what your talking about, also i am high lightling the Lack of interest in this Organisation and the Way parishoners are been treated,in this parish and possibily others, its a Business now.

Nine Months and Nobody bothers to Make Contact, if this gets the attention or people talking about it well then were getting somewhere.

Maybe the Reason you never heard it is because nobody brought it to your attention, thus the Reason im higlighting it here.

Once again ill repeat myself ( Keep in Touch with your Parishoners)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Think they have elders in each church, ministers cover quite a few Parishes so the elders look after the church, live right beside a CofI church and know very little about it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Am i asking too much for a Clergyman to make a Phone Call.
    No, you're not. Or, more correctly, you wouldn't be.

It doesn't appear that you did ask the clergyman to make a phone call. You spoke to a select vestryman about this. You wrote to the archbishop about it. But you never spoke to the clergyman.

Can you see what you did wrong here?

Advertisement