Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flu vaccine

Comments

3d4life wrote: »
    How do Boots satisfy themselves that you do indeed qualify and that you are not blagging them ?

If you go to own small local chemist, like I go mine, they know my conditions inside out, but if you go to one of the larger chain ones it's a matter of professing whatever condition(s) you have.

Edit... it reminds me of the Swine Flu vaccine in 2009 when it became available in Dundrum HSE community centre. They asked me what medical conditions I had, and as the primary one that came to mind that instant was Colitis I stated this and in that year inflammatory bowel disease alone wasn't considered a risk factor as use of immune-suppressive drugs wasn't as widespread (surgery was nearly more common) as it has nis become. Then I remembered the asthma, though I hadn't been much bothered by it around that time and this "qualified" me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 morebarn

I got my flu injection tonight at my GP. At 7.30pm and patients were still arriving at 8pm! It’s a large multi GP practice; but in fairness the Doctor who owns the practice was actually carrying out all the injections himself.

It’s the first time I have ever seen them open or working so late in the day.
    So I guess the demand is definitely way above other years.

It took me 3 attempts to get an appointment as supplies of vaccine were late arriving and were used up instantly.
    Yesterday for instance they received 700 doses to administer.

I have been getting the injection for a good few years due to immunosuppressive meds I take and as a pensioner I don’t have to pay now.

By contrast, husband just popped into his GP to enquire, and they gave vaccine there and then!

So it does vary between different GP practices��

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭3d4life

o1s1n wrote: »
    They were in communication with my GP so they may have confirmed it. I got it with them last year too so I'd say it was on record.

Thanks, will try this myself

morebarn wrote: »
    I got my flu injection tonight at my GP. At 7.30pm and patients were still arriving at 8pm! It’s a large multi GP practice; but in fairness the Doctor who owns the practice was actually carrying out all the injections himself.

It’s the first time I have ever seen them open or working so late in the day.
    So I guess the demand is definitely way above other years.

It took me 3 attempts to get an appointment as supplies of vaccine were late arriving and were used up instantly.
    Yesterday for instance they received 700 doses to administer.

I have been getting the injection for a good few years due to immunosuppressive meds I take and as a pensioner I don’t have to pay now.

By contrast, husband just popped into his GP to enquire, and they gave vaccine there and then!

So it does vary between different GP practices��

Obviously some GPs are under-ordering and vice-versa or else the ordering system provided by HSE is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I get the flu vaccine every year as I’m a healthcare worker. Never had any side effects afterwards. Am hoping to get mine tomorrow.

I get the flu vaccine every year as I’m a healthcare worker. Never had any side effects afterwards. Am hoping to get mine tomorrow.

Lucky you :)

I used to get it and would, without fail, be crucified for 3 - 4 weeks :(

Didnt get it the last two winters and all good :)

So dilemma this year ...

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Research indicates effectiveness of 50 percent over last ten years - due to mismatched strains in vaccine versus what circulated.
    Lets hope this year is one of its effective years.

I say I last got influenza in about 1988, and since the later 90s started getting the vaccine as I was then looking after my elderly mother. However there have been two occasions since vaccination when I git the characteristic abrupt start of flu, you know when all of a sudden you start to ache and shake and take to bed with fever and bone pains. To me this has only happened for two reasons; influenza or bacterial pneumonia but with the latter I have always soon started coughing clots of blood. Well the two occasions I speak of it just faded away after 24 hours and by 36 hours I was up and making a light tea, and next day 100% with a slight irritating cough fading away. I believe that was probably an "attenuated" dose if influenza because I had at least been part immunised by vaccines. So to me that "aborted flu" was well worth having the vaccine fit in itself.

Lucky you :)

I used to get it and would, without fail, be crucified for 3 - 4 weeks :(

Didnt get it the last two winters and all good :)

So dilemma this year ...

Crucified by what in particular... curious to know.. was it joint pains etc?

Crucified by what in particular... curious to know.. was it joint pains etc?

A "cold" ( colds always go to my chest )

being immunosuppressed probably doesnt help :D

• Advertisement

I got it last Thursday. I felt pretty rough over the weekend, but it always hits me that way for a day or two. My arm is still a bit swollen and sore tonight, but otherwise okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Better to leave it until end November. The strain the current vaccine is working on might not work. The next batch might!

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Better to leave it until end November. The strain the current vaccine is working on might not work. The next batch might!

Just saying.

Not aware the flu vaccine is tweaked during a season? Are you just speculating?

Water John wrote: »
    Not aware the flu vaccine is tweaked during a season? Are you just speculating?

Well I am sure you can check it out yourself. Of course it is being tweaked. Issue is the Southern Hemisphere has had few flu outbreaks so the vaccine now has to suit the Northern Hemisphere as always,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Type 1 diabetic, get it every year now I'm old and decrepit

Booked in for the 20th, the pharmacy have already got through two batches.

A "cold" ( colds always go to my chest )

being immunosuppressed probably doesnt help :D

That's not the vaccine, it doesn't work on the respiratory system specifically but rather your immune system in general. It's likely ya picked up those viral respiratory infections at the places ya got the vaccine. Doctors' surgeries and chemists' are full of people brewing bugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

o1s1n wrote: »
    Got mine on Thursday in Boots for free due to having Crohn's.

Had some mild after effects for a couple of days. Woozy with a bit of a scratch in my throat. Seems to be gone now.

I'm on a waiting list with Boots and I've also contacted Lloyds. Next stop GP. I've been getting it with Boots each year and I never even had a sniffle but I've been obsessed with hand sanitizer and not touching surfaces long before Covid. I had a renal transplant a couple of years ago. Usually it costs around €20 in Boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

OK, time for time away from Boards me thinks :(
    Give my head some peace :(

Ah best to ignore the cranks and keep on posting ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm on a waiting list with Boots and I've also contacted Lloyds. Next stop GP. I've been getting it with Boots each year and I never even had a sniffle but I've been obsessed with hand sanitizer and not touching surfaces long before Covid. I had a renal transplant a couple of years ago. Usually it costs around €20 in Boots.

I haven't had a single sniffle in 2020 at all due to the heightened cleanliness everywhere. One good thing to come out of all this covid sh1te!

/Edit - until I got the flu vaccine that is! Passed after about three days thankfully.

I am not a crank, just saying what I see.

Nothing personal at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've booked an appointent for the shoot. Based on the statistical outcome, time spend for the appointment versus a week being very ill, makes sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I am not a crank, just saying what I see.

Nothing personal at all

Mod:

You can have a holiday from AH for your troubles too.

Do not post in this thread again on your return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

I'm a healthcare worker so get it every year. No sign of it yet this year. There must be supply constraints. I'd normally have gotten it either this week or last week. If there's no sign of it soon I'll just book an appointment myself.

Type 1 diabetic, get it every year now I'm old and decrepit

Booked in for the 20th, the pharmacy have already got through two batches.

Are you getting the pneumonia vaccine as well?

I got it two years ago, even though I am under 65. (its every 5 years). Its recommended for diabetics and can be given at the same time as the flu vaccine.

After info from Boardsies here, de used to try Boots. Now booked for 19th October in a south Dublin branch. A bird in the hand, as the saying goes. Goodness knows when my local chemist would be able to oblige. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Never got it, mainly because I don't get the flu. I'm one of those 15-20% who are asymptomatic, or not enough to notice much anyway(my dad was the same). No doubt a few mild "bugs" I've gotten over the years were the flu. Though latterly I have been thinking of getting it so I don't act as a carrier for those who do get it badly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Never got it, mainly because I don't get the flu. I'm one of those 15-20% who are asymptomatic, or not enough to notice much anyway(my dad was the same). No doubt a few mild "bugs" I've gotten over the years were the flu. Though latterly I have been thinking of getting it so I don't act as a carrier for those who do get it badly.

You could donate antibodies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering do you feel sick after getting it or is that a myth?

Get it every year here, I'm diabetic and it normally just causes low blood sugars for 24 or 36 hours afterwards.

I mustn't have been exposed to one of this years strains before now as I had a bad few days of mild flu symptoms, coughing, runny nose, tiredness, slow reactions. So I was advised to get a covid test, just in case. Negative, thankfully.

A week today, still coughing but much better than the last few days.

Having been exercised enough this morning to email my own pharmacy, they phoned me just there to say to come over at noon and I would be vaccinated, as they had a cancellation. She said the whole thing is quite all over the place as I suspected.

So Boardsies, seems you have to be proactive to get your shot in a timely way, and literally not wait your turn :( which is the way medicine in general operates in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Here's the information on side effects of the vaccine being given this year: https://www.medicines.ie/medicines/quadrivalent-influenza-vaccine-split-virion-inactivated--33499/smpc

You can feel a little ill afterwards, fatigue isn't uncommon or a slight fever. This happened to both me and my spouse after our vaccine last week Monday at our local chemist.

We get vaccinated every year if at all possible. One year I didn't and was miserable all winter as a result, laid me up good, lost weight, extremely high fevers. This illness is underplayed in the media, it's common enough in the Winter and very debilitating. Much worse than 'a bad cold' which imo people mistake for 'the flu' or 'a touch of the flu.' It wasn't in my experience at all, no comparing.

Get it every year here, I'm diabetic and it normally just causes low blood sugars for 24 or 36 hours afterwards.

I mustn't have been exposed to one of this years strains before now as I had a bad few days of mild flu symptoms, coughing, runny nose, tiredness, slow reactions. So I was advised to get a covid test, just in case. Negative, thankfully.

A week today, still coughing but much better than the last few days.

Just reading this article, which seems to contradict itself. Even otherwise reliable medical sources can cause confusion:

https://www.self.com/story/flu-shot-side-effects

But in any case, a dose of influenza is always worse than side effects, so I would hate folk to be put off by talk of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I was Lloyds pharmacy at the weekend. They said it will be 3-4 weeks before they will have more vaccines in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I might get it this year for the first time. Will you get it and if not why not?

No. Because I couldn't be arsed.

As a side note, is it possible to tell which strain of the flu will be prominent this year.

No. Because I couldn't be arsed.

As a side note, is it possible to tell which strain of the flu will be prominent this year.

The WHO have figured the most likely strains out, but I believe it's a bit like weather-forecasting with no absolute guarantees. The more influenza immunities you have over time the less likely you are to have a catastrophic outcome if you do get a new strain. Pre-exposed people tend to have better outcomes, as evidenced by the immune naive young folk who succumbed in the 1918 pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I've got it the last 2 years and had a slight bit of fever and general malaise for the following 24hrs or so. It really isn't bad though and way more preferable to being floored for days or weeks with the flu. And even if you don't normally get the flu, it's doing your part to help prevent spread to the more vulnerable among us.

Just booked my appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

It seems the issue overall this year is simply that manufacturers are not set up to produce the amount of vaccines demanded this year. There was no increase in manufacturing capability. A foretaste of the type of thing we will have when the Covid vaccine first becomes available.

https://www.fffenterprises.com/news/articles/article-2020-09-10.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The WHO have figured the most likely strains out, but I believe it's a bit like weather-forecasting with no absolute guarantees. The more influenza immunities you have over time the less likely you are to have a catastrophic outcome if you do get a new strain. Pre-exposed people tend to have better outcomes, as evidenced by the immune naive young folk who succumbed in the 1918 pandemic.

I understand that it helps and will restrict its spread.

I know it's a stretch to say that it's a leap of faith but I think you know what I'm getting at.

There'll always be some element of risk involved with these things.

Set to get the vaccine in 30 minutes :) and will report here when the mild side effects set in. But again I will emphasise this should never put folk off getting it, me they just remind me it's taking effect :)

• Advertisement

Just had it one minute ago, painless injection. Muscle is now starting to ache and twitch, so a nice local reaction commencing :)

Just had it one minute ago, painless injection. Muscle is now starting to ache and twitch, so a nice local reaction commencing :)

< AH mode > Pics or GTFO < /AH mode >
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Got it yesterday for the first time. I'm 43 but it was available in my workplace where I mix with frontline workers. Didn't have any reaction but fell asleep after dinner for 90 mins which is unlike me!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

My employer (non front line) always paid for ours but this year said they weren't given the vaccine shortage. Thought it was odd....

Boots only give to high risk or if you have a prepaid voucher (from employer like we used to get).

Trying to get one in a pharmacy is hard, they have yet to move my appointment next week a third time so fingers crossed.....is €25 in McCabes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Boots have given me an appointment for the shot. Made the request on 1st September, got a date at the end of Oct. And that's with double "vulnerable category" tags on me.

There's going to be a lot of people going into this winter of CoviFlu1920 uninoculated I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Booked in for 22nd of October. Never got it before. I feel I should this year and I think everyone else should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Was in doc practice this morning having my bloods taken by the nurse and asked about the vaccine, and got it. Charged €30 on that, plus €35 for the bloods.

Water John wrote: »
    Was in doc practice this morning having my bloods taken by the nurse and asked about the vaccine, and got it. Charged €30 on that, plus €35 for the bloods.

I'm all for everyone getting vaccinated, especially this year. It seems to be hit or miss when and how people are though, going by folk. As one Indo article predicted "there'll be a catfight". Shortages always create these situations, and that seems to be down to lack of anticipation by manufacturers or else infrastructural inability or reluctance to ramp up vaccine production even though demand might have been duly predicted.

Done at midday, now just last 4pm, that's the swelling in arm so far, the black furry thing is the cat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Yep I will get mine: That way I can tell the flu from covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I read this thread at lunchtime, phoned the doctor @ 1 and got the shot at 2:30. I was inside the building for a maximum of 20 seconds, literally. They are racking and stacking them .... (I had pre-existing conditions which they know about so was told to head stright down when I called becase demand is high.

• Advertisement
Advertisement