Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Marathon - anyone know any details?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Anyone training for this?

And if so how is it going?

I havent heard too much about it, and havent heard many Boardies doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

yungwan wrote: »
    Anyone training for this?

And if so how is it going?

I havent heard too much about it, and havent heard many Boardies doing it?

I'm doing the half. I know there is a load of people from around Galway, and the Wesht in general doing the half as well. Not sure of too many other boardies doing it, I think their afraid to travel across the shannon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭runsalot

I'll be doing it.
    Was injured from Nov '09 till May '10.
    Started doing the Lydiard marathon program but cut out the hill phase as it didn't give me enough time to do the program from start to finish.
    After the 8 weeks of base and not much hard running,just twice a day at a comfortable pace i did the national seniors 10k and 5k.Both were Pb's 31:47 and 15:21 on back to back days.
    3 weeks ago i did a 15 miler in Killarney 1:20:43 (5:23 pace) but that took alot out of me as it was the week after nationals,could barely run the legs were so sore.Did a 3hrs run(last long run over 18 miles) on the bank holiday Monday and will do the streets of Galway 8k this weekend as a blow-out before starting to ease down for the Galway City Marathon.
    Course looks flat enough and there is always a great atmosphere in Galway,so i'm looking forward to it.Plan on breaking 2:30.Probably setting myself up to be shot on this board but we need to set tough goals for ourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

runsalot wrote: »
    I'll be doing it.
    Was injured from Nov '09 till May '10.
    Started doing the Lydiard marathon program but cut out the hill phase as it didn't give me enough time to do the program from start to finish.
    After the 8 weeks of base and not much hard running,just twice a day at a comfortable pace i did the national seniors 10k and 5k.Both were Pb's 31:47 and 15:21 on back to back days.
    3 weeks ago i did a 15 miler in Killarney 1:20:43 (5:23 pace) but that took alot out of me as it was the week after nationals,could barely run the legs were so sore.Did a 3hrs run(last long run over 18 miles) on the bank holiday Monday and will do the streets of Galway 8k this weekend as a blow-out before starting to ease down for the Galway City Marathon.
    Course looks flat enough and there is always a great atmosphere in Galway,so i'm looking forward to it.Plan on breaking 2:30.Probably setting myself up to be shot on this board but we need to set tough goals for ourselves.

Impressive stuff, you will be right up there with that target time of 2.30 - not too many local club runners taking on the full , virtually all i know are going for the half , including myself, just a bit too soon , dublin beckons..

The 50k lads will all count for marathon times, and could be good to pace off , would imagine a good few would be close to 2.30 pace for the 26.. plus 5 miles more !

It looks like the streets will be fairly wide open this year too, so give that a right crack

All the best with the training, its good to see someone with a bit of ambition and talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Not sure of too many other boardies doing it, I think their afraid to travel across the shannon :D

must wear me doubalin jersey so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Tempted to have a go at the half - would be my first - but €65 seems quite steep (or is it just me?). Can't find on the site what's included for that. Anyone got more information on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

5h4mr0(k wrote: »
    Tempted to have a go at the half - would be my first - but €65 seems quite steep (or is it just me?). Can't find on the site what's included for that. Anyone got more information on that?

I've just registered for the half and it was 55 euro.
    It's 65 after 15th august.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

littlebug wrote: »
    I've just registered for the half and it was 55 euro.
    It's 65 after 15th august.

Not what it says on the webpage...

(01 Jan - 30 April) (01 May - 30 Jun) (01 Jul - 15 Aug)
    STANDARD MID LATE
    MARATHON €55.00 €65.00 €75.00
    HALF MARATHON €45.00 €55.00 €65.00
    RELAY MARATHON €85.00 €95.00 €105.00

True... I was looking at it wrong....but that was after my payment went through and it was 55 :confused:

The 50k lads will all count for marathon times, and could be good to pace off , would imagine a good few would be close to 2.30 pace for the 26.. plus 5 miles more !

It looks like the streets will be fairly wide open this year too, so give that a right crack

All the best with the training, its good to see someone with a bit of ambition and talent.[/QUOTE]

So i did the Streets of Galway on Sat night and finished 3rd in 24:59.
    Great atmosphere around the course and it would give you goosebumps running through EYRE SQUARE.
    This has to be one of the best races in the country with regards to course,atmosphere and organisation.
    The last 4 races have yeilded pb's from 5k to 15 miles so hopefully it bears well for 3 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ChristyOC

Galway is a great place to run! This will be my first event there but I'm familiar with the Salthill section of the race, a great place to stretch the legs! Sounds like a good line up of events as well over the entire weekend, I heard that Sonia O'Sullivan will be putting in an appearance at a Q&A session during the expo!! C'mon Cork... ;)

I'm only going for 13.1 as well due to commitments to Dublin, but I'm looking forward to it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

runsalot wrote: »

All the best with the training, its good to see someone with a bit of ambition and talent.

So i did the Streets of Galway on Sat night and finished 3rd in 24:59.
    Great atmosphere around the course and it would give you goosebumps running through EYRE SQUARE.
    This has to be one of the best races in the country with regards to course,atmosphere and organisation.
    The last 4 races have yeilded pb's from 5k to 15 miles so hopefully it bears well for 3 weeks time.
    Super running I was watching you there on Sat night and you looked very comfortable. If you're going for sub-2:30 (which I think you'll get) you will be right up there though someone told me that Gary Thornton might be doing it in which case you may have your work cut out. Good luck!

It would be great to see Gary doing it and see what he can do.Not enough top elite Irish lads do this distance.He could knock out sub 2:18 with the current shape he is in and that would be a big carrott for the rest to follow.
    As for me,i just want to break that 2:30 barrier and wherever that gets me position wise i couldn't care less.
    The breathing was fine till the last 2k where i had to work that bit harder with the breeze into the puss.
    Should be a great weekend for the sport.

Sonia O Sullivan,Marcus O Sullivan and Ray Flynn will be in town on the Sat to hold a forum.
    http://www.galwaycitymarathon.com/news/148-9-aug-sports-conference

• Registered Users Posts: 29 niall1980

very doubtful gary will run in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 42 theneed2rock

(01 Jan - 30 April) (01 May - 30 Jun) (01 Jul - 15 Aug)
    STANDARD MID LATE
    MARATHON €55.00 €65.00 €75.00
    HALF MARATHON €45.00 €55.00 €65.00
    RELAY MARATHON €85.00 €95.00 €105.00

Those prices seem quite steep...is there any other marathons/ half marathons coming up in around the Galway area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

If you check the www.runireland.com calendar, the west of ireland race series has a marathon on that weekend,. Cant remember if it is the day before or the day after. They are cheap. Not a big event with lots of crowd support but they have their own merits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MarathonRunner

<mod snip- advertising>

6 posts, all pushing the great value of one race? Not how we do things around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

It is very expensive if you were quick on the draw they had cheaper prices earlier in the summer.

The Galway Bay on October 2nd is 50 euros and the 10k is 45:eek:

A bargain compared to their prices last year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MarathonRunner

<mod snip-advertising>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I think the race is starting at 9am. Is that not unusually early? I can never run so early in the morning!

• Advertisement

I think the race is starting at 9am. Is that not unusually early? I can never run so early in the morning!

its to beat the extreme heat in the west of Ireland :D
    tbh, not that unusual for a marathon ...........

Does anyone know at what points and how far apart the water stations will be?

littlebug wrote: »
    Does anyone know at what points and how far apart the water stations will be?

There was a pullout section in last weeks Galway Independent, and if I remember correctly it said that they would be every 5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

Just heard today the water will be in paper cups not bottles, i hope my friend is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ButchMG

Unfortunately your friend is correct. I had it confirmed by the organisers. Same as Belfast - v annoying. Bring your own water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I was sure I saw somewhere on the website that it would be bottles. I hate trying to drink from cups

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ButchMG

You read it in the FAQs section. I read that myself but was dubious nonetheless so decided to email them for confirmation. I presume the FAQs are just a copy and paste from another marathon site. The response I received was as follows:

"We'll be using paper cups as it's a matter of wasting as little as possible. We'll have four station on each lap - 8 for the marathon. If it's a warm day we'll have some additional intermediate stations."

You've been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Thats a pain. Think I might wind up just bringing my own hydration belt I use for my LSRs. Never did in a race before though. I just cant seem to be able to drink properly from cups. Plus I like to carry the bottle and have a few sips from it over half mile or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Not long now for this, over 2000 entries for this across the board apparently, most of them in the half mara...forecast is good,hope the wind dies down...any takers for the miles??

• Advertisement

brutes1 wrote: »
    Not long now for this, over 2000 entries for this across the board apparently, most of them in the half mara...forecast is good,hope the wind dies down...any takers for the miles??

tempting, not very often you get the chance to run a fast (well, potentially) mile through the city, but not worth the risk with the half only 13hrs later.

Advertisement