Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2019, 20:55   #61
SEPT 23 1989

I am embarrassed that a man that can hardly string a sentence together is representing me in the Dail

A GE can’t come soon enough
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 21:10   #62
Arlessienne

I'm from DMW and the result is as expected. North Clondalkin has had a good turnout for several years now - hence Gino being elected. Turnout was low across the board this time, but no lower in the North Clondalkin area. And Ward has had a huge presence in the area since he was co-opted a few years ago. He's like a local celebrity at this stage.

Gogarty is well liked in Lucan and Palmerstown and is very active as a councillor.

I personally was surprised that FG selected Higgins. She is popular in Clondalkin village according to the LE results, but she's unknown in the rest of the constituency and actually very unlikable. They need a Lucan based candidate to pick up the big FG vote there I think. I think Lucan people want a Lucan TD now more than a FG TD even if FG voters, so they chose Gogarty. FG spent years building up William Lavelle then he disappeared, but Vicky Casserly is popular locally and I think she would do better than Higgins if they built her profile.
30-11-2019, 21:14   #63
Loafing Oaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dogs View Post
and thought Verona Murphy was also a sure thing.
Based on what? Byrne was odds-on favourite for weeks, IIRC every pundit I read predicted he would take the seat
30-11-2019, 21:17   #64
Galwayguy35

Was surprised at how well the Greens did in Dublin Fingal.
30-11-2019, 21:26   #65
strandroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwayguy35 View Post
Was surprised at how well the Greens did in Dublin Fingal.
Dublin's choking and FG doesn't care. You want someone to defend Luas Finglas when they try to shelve it to indulge some NIMBYs.
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 21:27   #66
charlie14

Good day for Greens FF and SF. OK day for Labour
Bad day for FG. Especially Fitzgerald`s seat going to SF has to really sting.
Murphy coming third after FF and Labour has a bit of a sting as well.

Be interesting to see if they will even run Higgins and Murphy in the GE
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 21:54   #67
Galwayguy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandroad View Post
Dublin's choking and FG doesn't care. You want someone to defend Luas Finglas when they try to shelve it to indulge some NIMBYs.
I don't really see how the Greens will solve the problems you've outlined there.
30-11-2019, 22:12   #68
blanch152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dogs View Post
Not surprised at that one at all, but I honestly thought Higgins basically was basically a formality, (leo won't be happy at the shinners stealing his thunder) and thought Verona Murphy was also a sure thing.

Reilly surely has the message by this stage that he's a political has been.
Not a bit surprised at all. Once there was a low turnout, FG were always going to suffer.

Ward got the O’Broin vote, so meaningless for the General Election, O’Sullivan took the Kelliher seat so no change in that Cork constituency in the general election.

Big one was O’Brien in Fingal, sets the Greens up for the main event.
30-11-2019, 22:14   #69
Joeytheparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by For Forks Sake View Post
He has run in more than that
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 22:19   #70
winter2019

The chickens are starting to come home to roost for FG. They’ll get wiped out whenever the next general election happens. I think the Maria Bailey incident, and the way Varadkar tried to sweep it under the carpet was the final straw for a lot of people.
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 22:26   #71
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwayguy35 View Post
I don't really see how the Greens will solve the problems you've outlined there.
The Irish Greens solution to everything is slap on extra taxes and ban stuff. Virtually zero positive policies that will work for the ordinary joe soap. Can’t fathom why anyone wastes a vote on them
30-11-2019, 22:28   #72
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter2019 View Post
The chickens are starting to come home to roost for FG. They’ll get wiped out whenever the next general election happens. I think the Maria Bailey incident, and the way Varadkar tried to sweep it under the carpet was the final straw for a lot of people.
I think there’s much bigger issues than Bailey tbh, she’s merely a symptom of their wider disconnect. Last budget for example was very disappointing for taxpayers as Leo had promised to prioritise work and make it pay
30-11-2019, 22:49   #73
road_high

I think Varadkar is both politically naive and arrogant and not a good leader electioneer as we’ve seen. Lacks any common touch whatsoever and too concerned with pandering to the PC brigade rather than the ordinary taxpayer who keep the whole show on the road
(3) thanks from:
30-11-2019, 22:51   #74
Tea Shock

FGs problems started when they elected Varadkar as party leader. As soon as Kenny said he was going, the parliamentary party members fell over each other trying to be the first to kiss Varadkar’s arse. By the time the opinion polls cane out showing Coveney was more popular with the public, they couldn’t row back. Coveney was also far more popular with ordinary FG members but the weighting’s the parliamentary members votes got screwed him up. Varadkar was the wrong choice. It’s as simple as that!
(2) thanks from:
30-11-2019, 22:59   #75
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Shock View Post
FGs problems started when they elected Varadkar as party leader. As soon as Kenny said he was going, the parliamentary party members fell over each other trying to be the first to kiss Varadkar’s arse. By the time the opinion polls cane out showing Coveney was more popular with the public, they couldn’t row back. Coveney was also far more popular with ordinary FG members but the weighting’s the parliamentary members votes got screwed him up. Varadkar was the wrong choice. It’s as simple as that!
I think he’ll lose the next election (a certainty if based on today) and they’ll remove Varadkar. I think he’s been a failure and has had ample time. He’s reasonable on Brexit but then again he hasn’t had much real personal control of the circumstances. Some of his diplomatic skills are lacking majorly too. He’s always only comfortable with fellow liberal types like Trudeau and Macron, not good elsewhere

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion