Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Squatter wrote: »
    Not wumming or anything, but what has happened to Gilroy - he appears to have vanished off the face of the earth?

Was rehabbing a back injury that wasn't healing, went for a second opinion and found a hairline crack in his spine I believe.

He's going to struggle to get his shirt back. For all his flare, I'd have Baloucoune start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Thanks guys. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

Thanks guys. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

Hopefully! Scary to think he may struggle to start. Honestly think Baloucoune would be better suited to start with Gilroy coming on to a more open game. Some serious options in the backline next season bar 9 & 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

launish116 wrote: »
    Hopefully! Scary to think he may struggle to start. Honestly think Baloucoune would be better suited to start with Gilroy coming on to a more open game. Some serious options in the backline next season bar 9 & 10.

He could always move to Dublin! It's about time you lot repaid our generosity in providing the backbone of your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

He could always move to Dublin! It's about time you lot repaid our generosity in providing the backbone of your team.

I know you're joking but Ulster backs moving south will almost certainly become a reality. Ulster have always produced an overabundance of them (wings and centers in particular) and if winges like Stockdale, Baloucoune, Sexton, Lyttle, etc reach their potential and start to pile up they'll get the call to move.

Ireland cannot tolerate Ulster backs moving overseas like they used to. Situations like Bowe to Ospreys, Farrell to Gernoble, Steenson and Whitten to Exeter or Tommy Seymour to Glasgow need to stop. I doubt Leinster will be the chief beneficiaries but Ulster backs will be moved.

• Advertisement

stl.ire wrote: »
    I know you're joking but Ulster backs moving south will almost certainly become a reality. Ulster have always produced an overabundance of them (wings and centers in particular) and if winges like Stockdale, Baloucoune, Sexton, Lyttle, etc reach their potential and start to pile up they'll get the call to move.

Ireland cannot tolerate Ulster backs moving overseas like they used to. Situations like Bowe to Ospreys, Farrell to Gernoble, Steenson and Whitten to Exeter or Tommy Seymour to Glasgow need to stop. I doubt Leinster will be the chief beneficiaries but Ulster backs will be moved.

It's inevitable and could honestly see it by end of next season.

Do wonder will some of the young wings see fullback as the position to lock down. Not just at provincial level but at international level,

A fully fit squad is going to be the cause of a really good head ache for the backline 11-15.

Try and fit McCloskey, Marshall, Addison, Faddes, Ludik, Stockdale, Gilroy, Baloucoune, Lyttle, Lowry, Curtis into your team.

I honestly think Baloucoune and Lyttle will continue to progress and put serious pressure on Gilroy/Ludik as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It will be interesting to see how Angus Curtis goes next season. He missed a big year in his development. It would be handy having for him for some of the "gentler" Pro 14 games where we could take a bit of pressure of McCloskey.

Can Faddes play 12? Hume can probably play there too.

It's inevitable and could honestly see it by end of next season.

Do wonder will some of the young wings see fullback as the position to lock down. Not just at provincial level but at international level,

A fully fit squad is going to be the cause of a really good head ache for the backline 11-15.

Try and fit McCloskey, Marshall, Addison, Faddes, Ludik, Stockdale, Gilroy, Baloucoune, Lyttle, Lowry, Curtis into your team.

I honestly think Baloucoune and Lyttle will continue to progress and put serious pressure on Gilroy/Ludik as well.

Given Rob Lyttle has already made one controversial transfer as a schoolboy who is to say he won't do the same as a pro if he isn't getting the chances at Ulster. If I had one criticism of the coaches in regards to selections, it would be the back three, for me Lyttle should be the next name down after Stockdale.

bilston wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Angus Curtis goes next season. He missed a big year in his development. It would be handy having for him for some of the "gentler" Pro 14 games where we could take a bit of pressure of McCloskey.

Can Faddes play 12? Hume can probably play there too.

Or Marshall back to 12 and Addison/Faddes/Hume/Stewart and Harlequins Hyde at 13.

So many options/combinations for next season. But your right about Curtis, he looked very good at jnr and might be another to thrive in this new environment,
    Given Rob Lyttle has already made one controversial transfer as a schoolboy who is to say he won't do the same as a pro if he isn't getting the chances at Ulster. If I had one criticism of the coaches in regards to selections, it would be the back three, for me Lyttle should be the next name down after Stockdale.

It's been great for him to get an injury free run. He has shown a lot of promise. During RWC would hope see Baloucoune, Faddes, Lyttle hold down starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

Excuse the ignorance, but what was Lyttle’s first controversial transfer? Just between schools, or was it provinces?

I think he’s a great player going forward, similar to the Shane Williams mould. I probably haven’t seen enough of him to comment defensively, but he strikes me as being a bit lightweight - is that an unfair bias on my part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Excuse the ignorance, but what was Lyttle’s first controversial transfer? Just between schools, or was it provinces?
    Went from RBAI to Methody and in year he played with Methody they got knocked out of schools cup in semis while RBAI went on to win cup
    Always been playing in Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I think he’s a great player going forward, similar to the Shane Williams mould. I probably haven’t seen enough of him to comment defensively, but he strikes me as being a bit lightweight - is that an unfair bias on my part?

He's certainly not the biggest guy which might stop him from ever becoming an elite player, but he's proven to be quite strong in contact and an excellent going forward. He's also a great goal kicker, and I'd bet money on him being a better fullback than lowry. I'd quite like to see him fill in there, but I really hope the rumour posted on here a while back about him possibly being cut is false, or premature considering the run of games he's put in since.

He's certainly not the biggest guy which might stop him from ever becoming an elite player, but he's proven to be quite strong in contact and an excellent going forward. He's also a great goal kicker, and I'd bet money on him being a better fullback than lowry. I'd quite like to see him fill in there, but I really hope the rumour posted on here a while back about him possibly being cut is false, or premature considering the run of games he's put in since.

He signed a new contract since that rumour was posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

He signed a new contract since that rumour was posted

Must have missed that, that's great news. We have a great mix of experience and youth in the backline to work with over the next few years, just need to find the best combinations.

This is exactly why Ulster fans need to prepare ourselves for the fact that players will likely move - the squad is even now beginning to strain with the upcoming talent at certain positions. Like Leinster have found that's great short term but it's unrealistic to think everyone will remain happy.

I would hate to see it but honestly if I was Lyttle's agent I'd have a cheeky phone call to Munster. Earls will be retiring soon and Conway is quality but after them their back 3 consists of Haley, Sweetnam, Wooten, Calvin Nash and academy guys. It's not unrealistic to think that he'd have a real shot at European Cup games, particularly if he thinks he can play 15. At Ulster he's in a dogfight with Stockdale, Baloucoune, Gilroy, Faddes, Ludik, Lowry, Addison etc. etc. Next season will be big for him, he'll get Pro14 games but if he has any Ireland ambitions then he'll need European ones.

The best we can hope for is that players move to other provinces and not overseas. If only the academy could churn out forwards at the same rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

We'll take Aaron Sexton please.

troyzer wrote: »

Sure thing. You just have to catch him first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

stl.ire wrote: »
    Sure thing. You just have to catch him first.

Sean Cronin accepts that challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Burkie1203 wrote: »

100 metres in 10.49 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Maybe we could give Cronin a net to throw over him? He'd be pretty safe then.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »

Is Sexton a fullback?
    This is exactly why Ulster fans need to prepare ourselves for the fact that players will likely move - the squad is even now beginning to strain with the upcoming talent at certain positions. Like Leinster have found that's great short term but it's unrealistic to think everyone will remain happy.

I would hate to see it but honestly if I was Lyttle's agent I'd have a cheeky phone call to Munster. Earls will be retiring soon and Conway is quality but after them their back 3 consists of Haley, Sweetnam, Wooten, Calvin Nash and academy guys. It's not unrealistic to think that he'd have a real shot at European Cup games, particularly if he thinks he can play 15. At Ulster he's in a dogfight with Stockdale, Baloucoune, Gilroy, Faddes, Ludik, Lowry, Addison etc. etc. Next season will be big for him, he'll get Pro14 games but if he has any Ireland ambitions then he'll need European ones.

The best we can hope for is that players move to other provinces and not overseas. If only the academy could churn out forwards at the same rate!

Can see Gilroy moving on before Baloucoune & Lyttle. Ludik be on the wind down also. If I was a young Ulster winger I'd be looking at fullback in glee for both Ulster/Ireland.

Maybe we could give Cronin a net to throw over him? He'd be pretty safe then.

Hahahaha

Is Sexton a fullback?

Can see Gilroy moving on before Baloucoune & Lyttle. Ludik be on the wind down also. If I was a young Ulster winger I'd be looking at fullback in glee for both Ulster/Ireland.

I think we forget how good (for Ulster) Gilroy is. I was just watching a video on Facebook last night of Ulster's highlights from the season just passed and I had forgotten all about his try against Edinburgh.

I think we forget how good (for Ulster) Gilroy is. I was just watching a video on Facebook last night of Ulster's highlights from the season just passed and I had forgotten all about his try against Edinburgh.

I know he's very good, I have a funny feeling McFarland will do a McPhilips on him though.

I just keep thinking his style is more and more suited from the bench in a more open game, can't see him happy with that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Burkie1203 wrote: »

They'd have to tie a dead horse to Sexton's left leg to give Cronin a chance.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Busby, Owens and Nelson gone.

Busby, Owens and Nelson gone.

Nelson probably deserved a bit more of a goodbye, even a lap round the pitch after the last home game.

Anyway there wouldn't have been many opportunities for him next season. Hope he gets a move somewhere. He could probably get a contract at the lower end of the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Ian Nagle also

And Caleb Montgomery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Ian Nagle also

Pity. He played out of his skin at times.

Advertisement