Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Why dont we allow farms to profit from carbon storage ? Why does the gov own it? Seems like theft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The tone of your questions are exactly the type of deflective, intentionally divisive, obtuse and tribal tone I was accusing the HRs of. It's a valid question veiled in a tone of mockery and leaves no space for a constructive robust discussion as it assumes absolutes in a world of grey.

Like everything, there is a balance of environmental and societal damage. We are in a transition to reduce one as fast as we can and minimise the impact on the other. One thing is clear, the status quo can not be maintained in many industries and societal practices.
    There is no way that I could go to an engineering firm tomorrow, that had the same impact as farming, and have it be acceptable for them to carry on regardless or only offer a 10% CO2 reduction.

I don't want to destroy the livelihoods of farmers, my grandfather was a tillage farmer and another uncle a dairy farmer, I spent many summers doing everything from milking and harvesting to clearing around saplings. I have close friends and relatives still farming, one is elderly, lives in a stone house heated by an AGA running solid fuel and relies on farm income and I have no wish to see him suffer.

No one is asking to ban all farming, we need food after all. But farming practices along with the balance of meat and plants we eat need to be addressed, there is overwhelming evidence that we can supply food in a less damaging way.
    If farmers don't come to the table with solutions they will have them forced on them through taxation and other policy changes just like the auto industry, manufacturing, power generation etc.

We have to address other impacts too:
    • Monocultures
    • Effluent Runoff
    • Forestry Clearing and Scrub Burning
    • Meat/Dairy Production CO2 and Methane Production
    • Destruction of Hedgerows
    • Killing of Raptors
    • Antibiotic resistance through poor dosing practices
    • Inhumain treatment and housing of animals

The vast majority of farmers are hard-working and conscientious, but the community often shields those who are responsible for damage and bad practice and has been resistant to change or acknowledgement of its impacts for a long time.
    It needs to be give as well as take, in return we need to pay farmers a fair price for their goods, reward innovation and support transition.

Likewise, with cats and dogs, there is a balance to be found. Cats and dogs can provide social, physical and mental health benefits so I wouldn't advocate for a ban, I wouldn't have an issue with taxing their CO2/Environmental footprint.
    You could argue that since cats killed more birds than all other human-related causes combined in 2016/2017. So there's a stronger case for banning them, a more logical step for the moment is for owners to put a bell on them!

You must appreciate not everyone likes the long winded style you yourself personally prefer.

You were asked a simple question about a topic you have given the impression you are greatly concerned about and well versed on.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Why dont we allow farms to profit from carbon storage ? Why does the gov own it? Seems like theft

I think it's coming, it was in the EU "Farm to Fork Strategy" that was published last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭SeanW

I think there are a couple of billion dogs on the planet yes, they are a problem, as they have to be fed meat, and now they have superstores full of plastic devoted to them.
    And there are plastic bags full of sh*te everywhere.
    Just one of the many things we'd need to look at if we are to take living sustainably seriously although I can't see curtailing dog ownership ever gaining traction.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dogs-environment-cats-pets-food-meat_n_5be94743e4b0e84388999f40
    I just love the blatant hypocrisy of stuff like this.

It's seemingly perfectly fine for so-called "environmentalists" to cause dozens, if not hundreds of gigatons of needless CO2 emissions with their asinine energy policies, like opposing technologies that avoid dozens of gigatons of CO2 emissions, or drive eagles and bats to extinction by carpet bombing the planet with windmills. It's OK for so-called "environmentalists" to cause ecological destruction on a scale unprecedented in human history, but we have to euthanise Fido and Fluffy because they eat meat or something. :confused:

You are probably right about one thing though, given how many people regard their pets as either part of their family, or at least a very positive aspect of their lives, there isn't likely to be much support for restricting the ownership of cats or dogs. Quite the opposite, I'd exepct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

SeanW wrote: »
    I just love the blatant hypocrisy of stuff like this.

It's seemingly perfectly fine for so-called "environmentalists" to cause dozens, if not hundreds of gigatons of needless CO2 emissions with their asinine energy policies, like opposing technologies that avoid dozens of gigatons of CO2 emissions, or drive eagles and bats to extinction by carpet bombing the planet with windmills. It's OK for so-called "environmentalists" to cause ecological destruction on a scale unprecedented in human history, but we have to euthanise Fido and Fluffy because they eat meat or something. :confused:

You are probably right about one thing though, given how many people regard their pets as either part of their family, or at least a very positive aspect of their lives, there isn't likely to be much support for restricting the ownership of cats or dogs. Quite the opposite, I'd exepct.

Can you point out the hypocrisy? I didn't realise I was pushing for energy technologies or killing bats and eagles.

I'm assuming you support the mainstream environmentalist policy of promoting renewable energy, like windmills. And opposing the use of other near-zero CO2 energy technologies.

SeanW wrote: »
    I'm assuming you support the mainstream environmentalist policy of promoting renewable energy, like windmills.

Assume away. Biggest threat to wildlife in recent days is Killarney national park going on fire, hen harrier nests were destroyed among lots of other wildlife.

I'll happily stand corrected if I am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

You must appreciate not everyone likes the long winded style you yourself personally prefer.

You were asked a simple question about a topic you have given the impression you are greatly concerned about and well versed on.

Apologies, my waffling style is a career hazard, as is a love of data!

Assume away. Biggest threat to wildlife in recent days is Killarney national park going on fire, hen harrier nests were destroyed among lots of other wildlife.

Could they build another nest?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Could they build another nest?

No likely they'll keep destroying the countryside

No likely they'll keep destroying the countryside

Who will keep destroying the countryside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Changing Agri in Ireland from animal(cow) dominance to a bit of everything -forestry/natural habitat, cereals, veg, bio fuels and whatever you're having yourself would be easy enough. Beef farmers have been operating at cost for a long time now.
    Farmers won't mind that much.. just edge them a little in the right direction. One of the best returns on wet/marginal ground ATM is forestry.
    Also an good organic/extensive package aimed at Dairy/beef would cut numbers.
    TBH most farmers wouldn't care asking as they get a few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I don't eat beef or dairy, which is what nearly all our land is used for, and 90% of that is exported.
    So why should food not eaten here be divided among everyone?

You dont eat imported stuff like rice, soya, and all that co2 overhead it carries do you - just spuds ?

Who will keep destroying the countryside?

The Green party who set fires and blame it on farmers

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    You dont eat imported stuff like rice, soya, and all that co2 overhead it carries do you - just spuds ?

Course i do, like everyone else in Ireland. Some things are worse than others though, technically we dont even make bread in Ireland as no flour is produced here.

Course i do, like everyone else in Ireland.

Cottage pie for me tonight.

You're making no sense in your attempts to be sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Danny Healy Rae is stone cold ignorant!

or pretends to be for effect... and does it very well ;)

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I take it this is proving harder than you thought. When you "do the math" you realise that if everyone in cities upped sticks, ditched the DART, ditched the LUAS, ditched the buses and bikes, got themselves a one off house with an ICE car per person, drove to school, work, shops, college etc... you realise the country has turned in to one massive spread out housing estate that's impossible to service, difficult to heat and police, clogged with ICE cars and is very environmentally damaging.

Sometimes the big smoke is actually better than millions of little smokes. That's leaving aside the cultural epicentres of the country which are the cites and the advantages they bring to the country.

Strongly disagree with this. That idea of " culture" is only one idea of culture. And a very limited and over idealised one.

as for " clogged with cars!; cities with "rush hour " traffic jams" all sitting there with engines running and air pollution choking pedestrians

"The truth is out there! WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!" is what this sounds like!

"20 bags of peat can't melt steel beams!" (which is true).

Who in their right mind wants to melt steel beams!

I've already discussed his video, maybe you missed it.

And what's this nonsense about "just going out and buying a pair of shoes emits more carbon than me burning peat for a few weeks". Do you go barefoot yourself, like?

Of course we all go barefoot out here! Or wellies from the local hardware shop..( seriously being housebound I get footwear by mail order. like most other things, using existing delivery services ie An Post.

Where are you getting this notion that rural houses need upgrading of insulation and sealing?

I live in a rural area, I can look outside my front door and literally not see another house for miles. If the youngfella ran down the hall he'd probably heat the house for a day or two.

Not everyone outside the city is living in a draughty cold house with a sheepdog sleeping in the bed to keep them warm.

I prefer 4 or 5 cats. Very needful many nights...

An apartment dweller in a city walks to the shoe shop, buys shoes and walks home. (Also lives close to a cobbler so the shoes last longer)

A rural dweller drives to the shoe shop or indeed the same shoe shop as above in the city... or gets it delivered by a van.

Which do you think is better for the environment?

So you disapprove of postal deliveries anywhere? Oh dear! My last shoes came by An Post with my ESB bill etc. Using existing essential services is the backbone of energy efficiency .

Do they still have cobblers? I wear wellies most of the time and one pair lasts forever; very energy efficient...

Urban dwellers use existing infrastructure. Even new builds are a couple of metres next to electricity, sewerage, wifi etc... Car dependent rural living is bad for the environment, more miles traveled in cars, impossible to serve with public transport, small journeys are in cars, not on foot and take Galway for example, rural people driving in to the city to use the offices, cinemas, restaurants etc... Very bad. We need people to start populating the dying rural towns and villages and support local.

Ah but we do not all have cars out here. Only one of my near neighbours has transport which he kindly lets us share in . And we do have rural buses. I could get to any of three or four nearby towns using existing resources.

• Advertisement

the only good thing about burning peat is the smell.

Ah peat is lovely! I lived ten years on a small Orkney island and turf as we called it there was my only fuel. A backboiler heated water and radiator. One lorry load lasted me a whole year straight off the bog for £100. It is a clean fuel to handle. And buying it supports my neighbour who cuts it.

Except most of the peat heat goes up the chimney.

Solid fuel stove... even when just a hearth and a back boiler it was great heat.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    You do sound like Rambo though...

As I said I don't have time to innovate now, and even if I did the majority don't have that skill set. A carry home fuel is needed, I like the biomass briquette suggestion, but its too late now so people are burning coal, imported coal.

The combination of turf and smokeless coal eggs is perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Graces7 wrote: »
    or pretends to be for effect... and does it very well ;)

I do wonder that sometimes especially when the Healy Raes controll all the construction plant in Kerry. No wonder they call for roads and bridges to be built they hire all the machines to the council and the NTA and the opw.

If you know for a fact it was members of The Green Party who started the fire and who they are you should report it to the Gardaí.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/forestry-enviro/environment/blame-game-begins-in-kerry-over-wildfire-40364446.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40275851.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Who in their right mind wants to melt steel beams!

Do me a favour? Go do a google image search for "tumbleweed". Find an animated one. Look at it for a few minutes.

Or maybe the one of a stick figure standing there while an animated "the point" flies over his head. That'd work too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Strongly disagree with this. That idea of " culture" is only one idea of culture. And a very limited and over idealised one.

Culture is the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

A city is a large human settlement. It can be defined as a permanent and densely settled place with administratively defined boundaries whose members work primarily on non-agricultural tasks. Due to the efficiency of transportation and the smaller land consumption, dense cities hold the potential to have a smaller ecological footprint per inhabitant than more sparsely populated areas.

Now, if you're going to tell me the museums, galleries, restaurants, bars, historical buildings, theatres, libraries, cathedrals, venues, festivals and creative food scene doesn't make up the cultural centre of a country you're deluded. Just look at the music acts to come out of Ireland in the last few decades and were they're coming from.

Culture is the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

A city is a large human settlement. It can be defined as a permanent and densely settled place with administratively defined boundaries whose members work primarily on non-agricultural tasks. Due to the efficiency of transportation and the smaller land consumption, dense cities hold the potential to have a smaller ecological footprint per inhabitant than more sparsely populated areas.

Now, if you're going to tell me the museums, galleries, restaurants, bars, historical buildings, theatres, libraries, cathedrals, venues, festivals and creative food scene doesn't make up the cultural centre of a country you're deluded. Just look at the music acts to come out of Ireland in the last few decades and were they're coming from.

https://www.facebook.com/rsvpmagazine/videos/who-knew-michael-healy-rae-was-a-three-time-all-ireland-champion-whistler/324324505048948/

So you have gone from "urban dwellers are much kinder on the environment than rural dwellers" to "dense cities hold the potential to have a smaller ecological footprint per inhabitant than more sparsely populated areas."

Nicely adjusted.

From all the reading I have done in the last few days it does not matter whether you are in the country or city, its down to the way you lead your life. Most people I know in the country are not wasteful and good to the environment, obviously there are exceptions..

MHR's speech was valid in my eyes, he was calling for planning and solutions as opposed some of the ill thought-out green policies we have recently seen.

A city is a large human settlement. It can be defined as a permanent and densely settled place with administratively defined boundaries whose members work primarily on non-agricultural tasks. Due to the efficiency of transportation and the smaller land consumption, dense cities hold the poof aparticulrtential to have a smaller ecological footprint per inhabitant than more sparsely populated areas.

That is one part only of the true meaning of "culture". And so I do deny that all the frills you list are the " cultural centre"; if there is delusion is it not in me.

Another definition of "culture" that is far more vital is. " The ideas, customs and social behaviour of a particular people or society" which of course can include the frills that you like.

And they are frills. Not vital or essential.

What we have out here is true culture.

I do wonder that sometimes especially when the Healy Raes controll all the construction plant in Kerry. No wonder they call for roads and bridges to be built they hire all the machines to the council and the NTA and the opw.

Indeed.. But my views are well known on this family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

See, nobody knew. And, he's ****e.

Look at U2, The Cranberries, The Dubliners, Them, Stiff Little Fingers, Thin Lizzy, The Horslips, The Undertones, The Chieftains, The Boomtown Rats... All formed in cities.

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

What the Healy Rae hate
      Not building roads: because they are the ones building the roads
      Not drinking pints: well one of them owns a pub and needs the cash, especially when he can hide it from the tax man
      Driving alcohol limits: sure who cares about a few dead people when they can shove a few extra pints in and send them off in the car
      Electric cars: sure that would stop the locals filling up with diesel/petrol at the Healy Rae garage
      Changes to house rentals: sure they are the biggest landlords knocking around
      Anything than is environmental friendly: well every business they have is not environmentally friendly

We can continue but you will notice a common theme here. Anything that doesn't line the Healy Rae pockets is bad and should be stopped. The local lap it up. Let them off.

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

And they are frills. Not vital or essential.

The arts may not be essential to you, but to others, the written and spoken word, architecture, music, visual arts and collaborations are what makes people happy. And they are loved throughout the world.
      What we have out here is true culture.

Agriculture is a true culture, there's no doubt about that. There's also subcultures, music, the arts on your island.. what you'd consider the "frills" but you obviously don't have an interest in these.

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What neither "side here says is that it is for each of us to choose and decide how we live and what is right and of value to each of us with our individual values etc.

I choose to live deep rural. actually offshore, for many reasons. I have no car, use almost no electricity, little fuel, grow as much of my own food as I can. Would be happy offgrid but it is not feasible with other needs .

Heating is minimal; being a pensioner is a great aid to simplicity, No TV.

With a high level university education I value what we call culture. Not in luxuries , costly venues or with posh expensive food. Not in cities. Which are loud, smelly places! And for the well to do . Cathedrals that are show places, not Houses of Prayer.

Literature accessible to all. Everywhere.

But out here in these simple, beautiful surroundings. A love of creation and a deep respect for it and for the folk around me. There is no value in fine buildings which will become monuments only.

Oh I love monuments too; telling of past ages. The settlement at Riesk. All the ancient abbeys and priories; that were lived in centuries ago. Ross Errilly.

And caring for the environment is part of this. As we are so near to the heart of it

This is culture as it has been here for centuries.

4. Advertisement
    5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

See, nobody knew. And, he's ****e.

Look at U2, The Cranberries, The Dubliners, Them, Stiff Little Fingers, Thin Lizzy, The Horslips, The Undertones, The Chieftains, The Boomtown Rats... All formed in cities.

Never heard of them! Thankfully. Sound gross

Tell you what; you keep em and I will enjoy ocean melodies.

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The arts may not be essential to you, but to others, the written and spoken word, architecture, music, visual arts and collaborations are what makes people happy. And they are loved throughout the world.

Agriculture is a true culture, there's no doubt about that. There's also subcultures, music, the arts on your island.. what you'd consider the "frills" but you obviously don't have an interest in these.

lol... We have no artificial arts out here

And I have said that each to their own so why are you going on and on insisting that all like and value the same things?

If that is for you then fine. But here you are again! Mithering! lol … We are not clones.

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sebdavis wrote: »
        What the Healy Rae hate
        Not building roads: because they are the ones building the roads
        Not drinking pints: well one of them owns a pub and needs the cash, especially when he can hide it from the tax man
        Driving alcohol limits: sure who cares about a few dead people when they can shove a few extra pints in and send them off in the car
        Electric cars: sure that would stop the locals filling up with diesel/petrol at the Healy Rae garage
        Changes to house rentals: sure they are the biggest landlords knocking around
        Anything than is environmental friendly: well every business they have is not environmentally friendly

We can continue but you will notice a common theme here. Anything that doesn't line the Healy Rae pockets is bad and should be stopped. The local lap it up. Let them off.

Many of the locals do not " lap it up" as I learned very swiftly as I was preparing to move to near Kenmare. They are not universally loved. Far from it.

3. Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Many of the locals do not " lap it up" as I learned very swiftly as I was preparing to move to near Kenmare. They are not universally loved. Far from it.

you would be classed as a "blow in", probably not in the category of having one of them at every religious occasion in your life, including your funeral of course :P

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Why do all your posts sound as if you are attacking me!

I think you need to come over here for a while. Please do. It would be a revelation to you. Bring a tent out for a month?

I live here simply as do the local folk. Oh they love Mayo football team; I knitted then all red and green hats to wear at matches.

They work so hard out here.

No music or arts. Winkle picking is very popular...

unless at home like my own occupations,
        Knitting, writing, growing,,, caring for rescued cats..

All of which are true culture, relevant to reality. Deeply fulfilling .

Be happy as I am. Very different but that is OK . I do not need to live s you do and vice versa and no need to value the same things.. WHy does that worry you>

Oh let me know which ferry you are coming on... You will need a tent.

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sebdavis wrote: »
        you would be classed as a "blow in", probably not in the category of having one of them at every religious occasion in your life, including your funeral of course :P

lol... The day I moved in MHR arrived at my gate way up atop a mountain. With papers on how to register for voting !

Then he offered me a house.

6. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

[/B]Why do all your posts sound as if you are attacking me!

Correcting you and your blind ignorance to the arts and culture! Seriously, modern music isn't culture?

I've been & stayed on the island you live on plenty of times under my own steam Graces! No need for the subsidised ferry!

7. Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

lol... The day I moved in MHR arrived at my gate way up atop a mountain. With papers on how to register for voting !

That's why I find it is always best to have a large slurry tank full of pig poo. As soon as he arrives spread it over him and his car. :P He was in your way

8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

What, one of his, that he rents out? Sure why wouldn't he - profit for him.

Or do you perhaps mean a council house? In which case, he was offering you something he had no right to, as allocation is done on the basis of need, by council officials. Well. It's supposed to be, but corruption, and buying votes with other people's money...

9. Advertisement
      10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Graces7 is gas, she harps on about how wonderful, remote and peaceful rural life is and then spends all her time on d'internet......

Advertisement