Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 strong convoy of high altitude aircraft just passed overhead

• 25-03-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there witnessed this over Wicklow about 10 minutes ago. It looked like a long line of satellites passing straight over head but there was no noise at all, completely silent before during and after.

According to my brother, who just saw it, and found the whole thing quite remarkable, it was heading west to east. He also said some of the satellites were in triangular formations and that several peeled off from the main convoy to go due south.

What on earth do you make of that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Spacex Starlink train.. check Heavens Above.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

Yup Starlink, just watched it myself, International space station will pass at 21:14 if ye want to go outside again

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭J_V_C

Jeez, I'd like to see that, thanks guys :}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

That’s pretty cool. Would they pass over here regularly? Never seen or heard of that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tenzor07 wrote: »

That’s remarkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Watching that, all I’m hearing in my head is “holidays are coming, holidays are coming”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

TeaPot918 wrote: »
    Yup Starlink, just watched it myself, International space station will pass at 21:14 if ye want to go outside again

Willl that train be visible with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Darksoul

Would it be roughly the same time visible down in tipp then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Darksoul

Would it be roughly the same time visible down in tipp then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Watching that, all I’m hearing in my head is “holidays are coming, holidays are coming”

That would be amazing to show the kids on Christmas Eve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I googled it but still can’t really understand its purpose. Can anybody explain to somebody who knows nothing about aviation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I googled it but still can’t really understand its purpose. Can anybody explain to somebody who knows nothing about aviation?

They are satellites being sent up to provide high speed broadband globally. These are the things making the national broadband plan irrelevant before they start work on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

It is a satellite network Elon Musk is putting into orbit to provide global high speed broadband. Right now they have just over 200 satellites in orbit. They plan to put something like 27,000 in orbit in the next few years. What you saw tonight was just one train of around 60 satellites. By 2027 the night sky as we know it will be full of them. It will look like a net of moving stars covering the sky. I don't think people realise just how big a change this is going to be but Space-x can do it because no government really has control over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Not gonna lie, thought OP was trolling, also not gonna lie, if I saw that myself without knowing what it was, I'd probably **** myself

Don’t mention Starlink if you are in the company of astronomers. You could get lynched......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is there specific dates / times this can be seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

TeaPot918 wrote: »

Pure luck I read your post at 21:12. Just got a great look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

touts wrote: »
    It is a satellite network Elon Musk is putting into orbit to provide global high speed broadband. Right now they have just over 200 satellites in orbit. They plan to put something like 27,000 in orbit in the next few years. What you saw tonight was just one train of around 60 satellites. By 2027 the night sky as we know it will be full of them. It will look like a net of moving stars covering the sky. I don't think people realise just how big a change this is going to be but Space-x can do it because no government really has control over it.

Not April 1st yet, is it? Jaysus is all I can say, if that youtube video is real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Nunu wrote: »
    Pure luck I read your post at 21:12. Just got a great look at it.

Think I saw it. Looks like a really bright star but has flashing lights to the side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭J_V_C

The brother's a bit skeptical about the Space X explanation.
    It doesn't explain the configuration of what he believes was a convoy of some sort, nor the deviations in direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,552 ✭✭✭✭L1011

J_V_C wrote: »
    It doesn't explain the configuration of what he believes was a convoy of some sort, nor the deviations in direction.

He can be sceptical all he wants; it wasn't 30 aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

touts wrote: »

Quite amazing,
    Like Wow!

At the 1st post I wasn't sure if it was for real or not. Never seen anything like this before in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This white elephant of Musk's is going to ruin the night sky and astronomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

www.findstarlink.com has the times visible in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

This white elephant of Musk's is going to ruin the night sky and astronomy.

Throughly depressing thought. I really struggle to find any positives in him. Environmental vandalism is the only way to describe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Not scheduled for another 5 days over Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Big bright shiny dots Elon Musk sent up into space to inflate his ego and balls up visual astronomy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

It’s space, not aviation. A trail of 60 plus small satellites which solar panels are reflecting the light you are seeing. They are bunched up together but will separate over time. They are supposed to be to able to supply internet access when fully setu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not scheduled for another 5 days over Ireland.

Around what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

:rolleyes:

www.findstarlink.com has times visible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

J_V_C wrote: »

That's probably the batch that was only launched last week so they're only spreading out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

GarIT wrote: »
    They are satellites being sent up to provide high speed broadband globally. These are the things making the national broadband plan irrelevant before they start work on it.
    I think it's probably a great competitor for existing wireless solutions, but it will never be as good as fibre which is what the NBP is providing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

All well and good for providing broadband in remote locations but unless it is cheaper than wired networks then it isn't going to get much traction.

Also, a government would be extremely foolish to just say "nah we won't bother with the NBP, sure elon musk and star link will hook us up." SpaceX might decide to can the project, they could go broke, them might make it crazy expensive, it might not be all it was cracked up to be. There are too many unknowns and risks. We should proceed with our own BB project using known proven technology and let Elon risk his billions on this experimental venture. If it works out, it'll be a good backup and can be used where wired BB isn't feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

It’s space, not aviation. A trail of 60 plus small satellites which solar panels are reflecting the light you are seeing. They are bunched up together but will separate over time. They are supposed to be to able to supply internet access when fully setu.

He could at least put a coat of black emulsion on the flippen things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Roadtoad wrote: »
    He could at least put a coat of black emulsion on the flippen things!

I think they did do a black coating on one to test but haven't read about it since .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Given how these things look, I'd rather just pay for the fibre rollout.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Xertz wrote: »
    Given how these things look, I'd rather just pay for the fibre rollout.

Once deployed, you won't be able to see them with the naked eye. You can only see them now because they are in a lower orbit, on the way to to their final orbit deeper in space where they won't be visible anymore.

Of course they will still be visible via Telescope.

And they aren't really aimed at Ireland, they are aimed at the billions of people around the world without wired and in many cases even wireless internet access.

Though it will likely end up showing the NBP to be horrible value for money. These could have delivered close to the same for a fraction of the cost of the NBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

A bit wide angle but might be of interest to some of you. This came into me today from an alert

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/308213-spacex-engine-failure-could-result-in-another-crewed-launch-delay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

plodder wrote: »
    I think it's probably a great competitor for existing wireless solutions, but it will never be as good as fibre which is what the NBP is providing.

From what od been looking at after seeing this. Its suggested it could be better than fiber. Depending on up link into the network itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

From what od been looking at after seeing this. Its suggested it could be better than fiber. Depending on up link into the network itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giQ8xEWjnBs

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

should you be able to see it again in an hour the starlink tracker says yes at least here in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

8:14 pm, 25 Mar 2020
    Starlink-2 OLD, BRIGHT (2.3) for 6 mins
    Look from WEST to SOUTHEAST (details)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 61°, end: 26°

8:50 pm, 26 Mar 2020

Starlink-2 OLD, BRIGHT (3.6) for 5 mins
    Look from WEST to SOUTH (details)
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 28°, end: 27°

so its tonight?30 mins or so?or am i reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

GarIT wrote: »

our lovely cloud-cover might just see how useful it will be for us!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

No you will not see the train tonight, thats just a single dim satellite.

The train is coming round next at 5:30am tomorrow.

The best tool is https://www.heavens-above.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Calculator123

Just been out to watch the ISS. Just before it appeared, four reasonably bright objects appeared going in almost exactly the opposite direction. Incredibly fast. In sort of formation. Not a line. Almost like fighter jets but silent. Could these have been Star Link?

I cannot ever remember seeing anything like it before. Thinking more about it I'm wondering was it ducks or geese in the twilight and the perspective/depth perception was such that it looked odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Just been out to watch the ISS. Just before it appeared, four reasonably bright objects appeared going in almost exactly the opposite directly. Incredibly fast. In sort of formation. Not a line. Almost like fighter jets but silent. Could these have been Star Link?

I cannot ever remember seeing anything like it before. Thinking more about it I'm wondering was is ducks or geese in the twilight and the perspective/depth perception was such that it looked odd.
    Where are you if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Calculator123

Where are you if you don't mind me asking?

North Kildare near Maynooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

It's been suggested all right; doesn't mean it will be. Think of it this way. There is limited capacity of the air / ether whatever you want to call it to carry radio transmissions in any particular locality, between point A and point B. With fibre, when you run out of capacity on each .5 mm fibre strand, you can just run another one alongside it. There is no limit to the number of fibre strands you can run between A and B.

These satellite systems are aimed at markets where fibre or any other kind of fixed broadband is uneconomic and always will be. That's why Amazon are building their own one. They see a billion+ potential customers in Africa and other under developed regions. They will probably have a role to play in developed countries too while/before fibre is deployed everywhere, which it will eventually. The old telephone network based on copper wires lasted around a hundred years, and is being replaced by fibre, which may well last the same amount of time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    No you will not see the train tonight, thats just a single dim satellite.

The train is coming round next at 5:30am tomorrow.

The best tool is https://www.heavens-above.com/

so how do you know if its the train or a single satellite as there are so many numbers after starlink like starlink -1202
    when will it come around again in the evening

• Advertisement
Advertisement