Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dana White Announces UFC-WEC Merger

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

Mellor wrote: »
    well said GSP fan, I got that impression too. People didn't really seam to know what was happening.
    Zuffa made WEC into was it has been for the last few years, a focus on lighter divisions. Other divisions were already merged into UFC.
    The remaining LW division had been a training ground for a move to UFC LW, but with the strength of FW and BW growing, as well as the possibility of a truely class guy like Aldo stepping up to WEC LW meant that it was now time for a 7 division UFC.

More divisions, mean more title shots and #1 shots.
    Bigger roster, means more competition.
    and, I disagree that there will be less shows, there will likely be more UFC cards a year now. or, the same nuber of cards, with a higher quality of fight. Both of which I'm happy with.

Well by higher quality what do you mean? I think for the Zuffa its gonna mean the well known big names and just title contention fights. I'm not so sure that there'll be room for the lesser known lads; which doesn't mean bad fights. Do you think we woulda seen the likes of Korean Zombie and Lenard Gracia, which had little on the line, if the WEC had already merged?

But don't get me wrong, the WEC defo deserves the same recognition of UFC and is IMO the most entertaining MMA organisation; which is why I'm afraid I'm not gonna see as much of it and that when it merges both organisations will be watered down and diluted into eachother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Well by higher quality what do you mean? I think for the Zuffa its gonna mean the well known big names and just title contention fights. I'm not so sure that there'll be room for the lesser known lads; which doesn't mean bad fights. Do you think we woulda seen the likes of Korean Zombie and Lenard Gracia, which had little on the line, if the WEC had already merged?

But don't get me wrong, the WEC defo deserves the same recognition of UFC and is IMO the most entertaining MMA organisation; which is why I'm afraid I'm not gonna see as much of it and that when it merges both organisations will be watered down and diluted into eachother.

Yes why not?

The UFC isn't ALL about title contention fights, it's not all about an 11-0 guy fighting a 9-0 guy. There know who are the exciting fighters and who will but it on the line. Look at Chris Lytle. At one point he was 5-9 in the UFC but he changed his game to be exciting. Chris Lytle is not getting a title shot any time soon, but he is always in the PPV section of the show because his fights are always exciting.

Garcia reminds me of Lytle actually, he always puts it on the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yes why not?

The UFC isn't ALL about title contention fights, it's not all about an 11-0 guy fighting a 9-0 guy. There know who are the exciting fighters and who will but it on the line. Look at Chris Lytle. At one point he was 5-9 in the UFC but he changed his game to be exciting. Chris Lytle is not getting a title shot any time soon, but he is always in the PPV section of the show because his fights are always exciting.

Garcia reminds me of Lytle actually, he always puts it on the line!

Chris Lytle is one guy. I think the point is that any WEC show would have 5 or six Chris Lytles on every show. It's going to be diluted there's no doubt about that in my mind.

The fact that WEC was always a Zuffa production is not really that important. It had its own production, presentation style, roster of fighters completely independant from other Zuffa organisations, ie. the UFC. It looked different, it felt different and it was a nice change from watching endless UFC cards with the same presentation, production, theme music etc. Not saying I particularily dislike any of those aspects of the UFC but it was a breath of fresh air to watch something different now and again, whether or not it's all under the Zuffa umbrella. It was it's own completely seperate entity and now it's gone. It will be sadly missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

WEC had 8 shows a year. UFC average about 24. I think they will cover more than enough former WEC fighters on those 24 shows. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

seadnamac wrote: »
    Chris Lytle is one guy. I think the point is that any WEC show would have 5 or six Chris Lytles on every show. It's going to be diluted there's no doubt about that in my mind.

The fact that WEC was always a Zuffa production is not really that important. It had its own production, presentation style, roster of fighters completely independant from other Zuffa organisations, ie. the UFC. It looked different, it felt different and it was a nice change from watching endless UFC cards with the same presentation, production, theme music etc. Not saying I particularily dislike any of those aspects of the UFC but it was a breath of fresh air to watch something different now and again, whether or not it's all under the Zuffa umbrella. It was it's own completely seperate entity and now it's gone. It will be sadly missed.

Fair play mate, exactly what I'm tryna say.

I really think if they want to get the best of both worlds we need 2 stages to accommodate for both. And your defo right about there being a nice change between both events.

It looked different, it felt different?.... Bruce Buffer does the announcing how could it have felt like anything but the UFC?.
    Have you ever actually watched a card? :pac:

How many fighters do you think are going to be in these new divisions?.... 5/6? :D.

The divisions at the minute have well over 20/30 fighters in them.

Needing up to 20 fighters for one card the new divisions will have plenty of fighters to cover the months.

It looked different, it felt different?.... Bruce Buffer does the announcing how could it have felt like anything but the UFC?.

This will mean one of two things. We either get more cards, or higher quality ones. Also with so many divisions and big fights, Europe is nearly guaranteed to get better cards.

How many fighters do you think are going to be in these new divisions?.... 5/6? :D.

The divisions at the minute have well over 20/30 fighters in them.

Needing up to 20 fighters for one card the new divisions will have plenty of fighters to cover the months.

This will mean one of two things. We either get more cards, or higher quality ones. Also with so many divisions and big fights, Europe is nearly guaranteed to get better cards.

Yes it looked different and it felt different. Bruce Buffer only starting doing the announcing for the Faber Aldo PPV. Have you ever watched a card or was that just the first one you saw? Because if you actaully knew what you were talking about you would know that.

The rest of your post doesn't make much sense and your repeating yourself. Have you had a few?

Yes it looked different and it felt different. Bruce Buffer only starting doing the announcing for the Faber Aldo PPV. Have you ever watched a card or was that just the first one you saw? Because if you actaully knew what you were talking about you would know that.

The rest of your post doesn't make much sense and your repeating yourself. Have you had a few?

I miss Joe Martinez :(

"URIIIIAAAAAAAAAJHHHHHHHHH FAAAAAABBBEEERRRRRRRR!!!"
    Joe%20Gonzalez.jpg

You made no reference to what time frame you spoke off. Nor did i say he always did it :rolleyes:

Don't make stupid claims about it being different from the UFC when currently it's not. Looks to me your changing your argument from ''No merger'' to ''Zuffa taking control of WEC''

As for ''repeating myself'' i forgot to cut a piece out, still didn't argue against my point that there won't be 4/5 fighters as your trying to ensue with your points.

• Advertisement

You made no reference to what time frame you spoke off. Nor did i say he always did it :rolleyes:

Don't make stupid claims about it being different from the UFC when currently it's not. Looks to me your changing your argument from ''No merger'' to ''Zuffa taking control of WEC''

As for ''repeating myself'' i forgot to cut a piece out, still didn't argue against my point that there won't be 4/5 fighters as your trying to ensue with your points.

What the hell are you on about lad? Time frame? Aldo Faber was one of the very last WEC events. You're quite clearly back tracking.

It was different from UFC, anyone who watched it regularily would know that. I've no idea what you're tyring to say about the fighters and me changing my argument. You're not making any sense.

What the hell are you on about lad? Time frame? Aldo Faber was one of the very last WEC events. You're quite clearly back tracking.

It was different from UFC, anyone who watched it regularily would know that. I've no idea what you're tyring to say about the fighters and me changing my argument. You're not making any sense.

Back tracking how?.... The PPV was 7 months ago.

I never said you were changing your argument in terms of the fighters, i said you were changing it in terms of the production.
    When i mentioned Buffer you started going on about WEC 8mths ago(plus), which has no relevance to current production.

Back tracking how?.... The PPV was 7 months ago.

I never said you were changing your argument in terms of the fighters, i said you were changing it in terms of the production.
    When i mentioned Buffer you started going on about WEC 8mths ago(plus), which has no relevance to current production.

I still have absolutely no idea what argument I'm supposed to have changed. Not a clue.

Why wouldn't I talk about the WEC of more than eight months ago? They existed in their most recent form for the last four years. Are we not allowed talk about that or something? You're whole attitude has baffled me to honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Play nice kids or else there will be spankings!!!

dunkamania wrote: »
    Play nice kids or else there will be spankings!!!

Jeez Dunk, if you knew your stuff you'd know they modified the rules and spankings were made illegal like 3 years ago!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jeez Dunk, if you knew your stuff you'd know they modified the rules and spankings were made illegal like 3 years ago!

About time.Savage things.Couture caused severe spinal and neck damage to Ortiz with them :(

• Advertisement

About time.Savage things.Couture caused severe spinal and neck damage to Ortiz with them :(

That was never a spank, that was definately a tap! Submission from strikes! Tito kept striking Couture's fist with his face!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

http://www.5thround.com/63368/jamie-varner-and-chris-horodecki-cut-following-losses-and-ufcwec-merger/

Knew it'd happen to some top guys soon, really liked both them guys :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

ScareGilly wrote: »
    http://www.5thround.com/63368/jamie-varner-and-chris-horodecki-cut-following-losses-and-ufcwec-merger/

Knew it'd happen to some top guys soon, really liked both them guys :(

can't believe varner was dropped! just goes to show the level of competition at 155 in the ufc now tbh

Advertisement