Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dana White Announces UFC-WEC Merger

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Fantastic news, can't wait to see Jose Aldo, Uriah Faber, The Korean Zombie, Domonick Cruz, Miguell Torres all finally on the big show. Just when I thought the UFC couldn't put on any more cards than they already do, they go and add another two divisions, and maybe even possibly a third. There will be an event every week at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Excellent news. About time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Should be good for the shows. The little guys usually put on exciting fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

HELL FCUKING YES!

The only wonder I have is how will a lot of them go with the larger cage and will some of the bigger names change their styles with bigger purses on the line.

From UFC.COM
    http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Adds-Featherweight-and-Bantamweight-Divisions
    UFC.COM wrote:
    Las Vegas, NV (USA) – In a media conference call today, Ultimate Fighting Championship® President Dana White announced the UFC is adding two new championship divisions at bantamweight (135lbs.) and featherweight (145lbs.), while also announcing a new television deal with the VERSUS Network to air four UFC fights in 2011.

“As the UFC continues to evolve and grow globally, we want to be able to give fans title fights in every weight division,” said White. “This is a big day for the sport and the athletes who will have the opportunity to fight on the biggest stage in the world.”

The two new divisions feature WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo who will now be recognized as the reigning UFC featherweight champion, and WEC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz. White confirmed that the winner of the Dec. 16 lightweight title fight between WEC champion Ben Henderson and top contender Anthony Pettis live on VERSUS will take on the winner of the UFC 125 main event title bout between champion Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard. This upcoming fight will serve as a UFC lightweight title unification bout to be held next year.
    White also stated the UFC is expanding its presence on the VERSUS Network in 2011, and will increase its number of UFC events from two to four per year. Versus is scheduled to air the two remaining live WEC events in 2010 on Nov. 11 and Dec. 16. The Nov. 11 event in Las Vegas will feature “The California Kid” Urijah Faber’s debut at bantamweight as he takes on Takeya Mizugaki, while the Dec. 16 event in Glendale, Ariz. will feature Henderson-Pettis and a bantamweight title clash between Dominick Cruz and challenger Scott Jorgensen with the winner becoming the new UFC bantamweight champion.

“We have a great relationship with the VERSUS network, and we look forward to working with them to give UFC fans even more free fights in 2011,” said White.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Interesting to see how they handle Ben Henderson and Frankie Edgar situation?
    Will it be an immediate title shot for Henderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

dave1982 wrote: »
    Interesting to see how they handle Ben Henderson and Frankie Edgar situation?
    Will it be an immediate title shot for Henderson

I dont think Henderson would be able for Edgar to be honest, doubt very very much he will get a crack at Edgar straight away, Kenny and BJ would have something to say about that :)

Agreed but will they make Henderson title redundant ?BJ has had 2 gos and Florian isn't exactly shining at the moment,plus Florian agreed to Aldo fight but Aldo turned it down.This merger explains that now

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tones69 wrote: »
    I dont think Henderson would be able for Edgar to be honest, doubt very very much he will get a crack at Edgar straight away, Kenny and BJ would have something to say about that :)
    Both coming off losses they cant say much :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Both coming off losses they cant say much :pac:

True, both whoop ben henderson imo though :)

• Advertisement

Tones69 wrote: »
    True, both whoop ben henderson imo though :)

Well a lot of people said Kenny would beat Maynard.
    And even more people thought Edgar would lose to Penn the first time around, it was called a fluke and the decision was unfairly disputed in my opinion. Henderson could step up. There's no reason to say he can't beat this guy or that guy because this sport is so unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Dana White reveals winner of Ben Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis will get a shot at the UFC lightweight title

UFC President, Dana White has today revealed that the winner of the WEC 53 showdown between current lightweight champion, Benson Henderson and number one contender, Anthony Pettis will get a shot at the UFC 155 pound crown, meeting the winner of the Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard clash next year.
    Link

Surprised Ariel never asked that question.Good to see the UFC respecting the WEC title

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

pity they didnt have this lined up for 122, could have injected a bit of life into the worst looking card in months (this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wow!!!

For once, Dana says he has something exciting to announce and delivers!

THis is amazing! WEC has for a long time been the best and most consistant promotion in the world.

The further exposure for the lighter weighclasses will be immense for everyone involved!

Was i the only one who got a little twinge of excitement when he said "UFC Featherweight Champion"? :D

weemcd wrote: »
    pity they didnt have this lined up for 122, could have injected a bit of life into the worst looking card in months (this year)

I don't know I'm looking forward to Sakara V Rivera and Dennis Siver is just improving all the time. Okami was very sharp against Munoz 122 has the potential to be a good event. Jose Aldo is fighting at UFC 125 which I was already looking forward to for the Gomi-Guida fight :D:D

I don't know I'm looking forward to Sakara V Rivera and Dennis Siver is just improving all the time. Okami was very sharp against Munoz 122 has the potential to be a good event. Jose Aldo is fighting at UFC 125 which I was already looking forward to for the Gomi-Guida fight :D:D

It always ends up that the cards that look the worst are always the best ones.

But seriously, selling Sakara v Rivera as a Co-Main Event? That's a pretty big joke!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    But seriously, selling Sakara v Rivera as a Co-Main Event? That's a pretty big joke!

I agree but I'm not going to put the fight down at this early stage tbh. It could turn into a great fight but it'd be on the undercard or main card opener on an event like Rampage V Machida.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Am I the only one unhappy with this news?? We've just lost the most exciting and consistent MMA promotion in the world. Realistically, the only fights that we're now going to see on the UFC PPVs from the feather and bantam divisions are the title fights, whereas before, on an all WEC event we had four-six fights showcasing talent we wouldn't otherwise get to see putting on awesome fights.

I was hoping they were going to expand the WEC and add a flyweight division. I'm actually very disappointed with this news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

weemcd wrote: »

122 Does look like a pretty lacklustre card alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Mixed feelings, overall more good than bad.

It solves alot of the ufc's problems in one move.

I am going to miss the WEC shows, hard enough to find, but always worth the effort.

The main beneficiaries are the fighters, the WEC fighters are underpaid, relative to their UFC peers, and suffer on a similar basis from lack of sponsorships.

It should mean better and more quality cards going forward.

I think the WEC fighters are going to get a lot more marketing behind them going forward, and i am fairly sure that we will see more than just the title fights as well. The ufc need to build up the new fighters so they cant have them languishing on the undercard.

The UFC LW division will get an influx of new talent.

The new FW division willl similarly get a host of new fighters. LW UFC fighters that have been avoiding dropping to FW for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

wonder who is the favourite now in the race to be the next irishman to hit the ufc... owen roddy perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Kieran81 wrote: »
    wonder who is the favourite now in the race to be the next irishman to hit the ufc... owen roddy perhaps...

Norman Parke or Paul McVeigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Kieran81 wrote: »

Paul McVeigh would be the frontrunner I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Brilliant news.

IMO the only ones who will lose out are the lower level UFC fighters who tend to get on main cards to fill them up. Now there's a lot more exciting and high level fights to fill cards up. There really should be no excuse for cards as weak as 120 or 122 now with 2 more titles and 2 more groups of top contenders etc.

However the UFC are sure to increase the number of cards they put on and eventually that could water them down again. I'd hope that they put on more Fight Nights. That would give an outlet for the mid level guys who would miss out on main event status while not watering down the PPV/numbered events.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

It should also be pointed out that there are a few UFC 55ers that can and might drop in weight now. Joe Lauzon could make 45, Ross Pearson and when Edgar loses the belt he'll probably drop too

kiad wrote: »
    It should also be pointed out that there are a few UFC 55ers that can and might drop in weight now. Joe Lauzon could make 45, Ross Pearson and when Edgar loses the belt he'll probably drop too

Also i think Tyson Griffin might drop down. He'd be an absolute killer at 145!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Also i think Tyson Griffin might drop down. He'd be an absolute killer at 145!

Don't think he'd make 145 any more. He's said himself that he doesn't want to make the weight and he's fine at 55 but I guess if the money was there I'm sure he'd give it a shot. I'd love to see Guida at 45

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Don't count out Clay Guida either. He has publicly stated that he would fight at 145 if it didn't mean taking a pay cut which it won't now. He would provide some seriously exciting fights.

So many are going to drop down I'd imagine. Since the two Penn fights I am still not convinced by Edgar. I think he will most likely be beaten again by Maynard, and by the time Penn fights his way up to the title, Penn will be dominant again. Edgar will never be dominant at 155 but I imagine he could be a serious contender for Aldo, but I do think Aldo would make light work of him..

Also I think people are counting out Henderson a bit. I would have given him no chance if Penn was still champ, but against Edgar and Maynard he will have a good go. Really can't wait for this event that crowns the Unified UFC lightweight champ, The UFC bantamweight champ and the UFC featherweight champ.

Good point about Paul McVeigh too. All that needs to happen is for UFC to hold an another event here (most likely March 2012) and if they gave Tom Egan a chance then they would have to give McVeigh a chance.

Advertisement