Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Drivers Cooler Bag Row

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

loyatemu wrote: »

No good, sure they need a manservant to travel with them to serve up their sandwiches to them. Can't be lifting a big heavy hang sangidge up to your own gob after spending two exhausting hours pressing a button.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

troyzer wrote: »
    I remember transdev saying that during the week, it only affects 10 drivers and none on the weekends.

12 jobs Monday to Friday and 1 on a Saturday have a break at Broombridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

https://youtu.be/0kC2XCiSdEE
    Any excuse for this classic.

Daith wrote: »
    Outside of this, are all employers required to have these facilities for staff? A place to heat food/eat food?

Yes, by law an employer must provide for adequate facilities (or access to such) for their employees to portable drinking water, boiling water and for taking meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gravelly wrote: »
    No good, sure they need a manservant to travel with them to serve up their sandwiches to them. Can't be lifting a big heavy hang sangidge up to your own gob after spending two exhausting hours pressing a button.

Surpised they aren't asking someone chew it for them.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Surpised they aren't asking someone chew it for them.

Don't be giving them ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Where then are they supposed to eat their lunch or is that just irrelevant?

I dont know in a place of their choosing just like anyone that has a mobile job.

Have you considered field engineers , Electricians, Plumbers, Brickeys, Labourers. Where do they have their lunch?

I think they cope just fine eating lunch, rather than this coddled nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

GM228 wrote: »
    Yes, by law an employer must provide for adequate facilities (or access to such) for their employees to portable drinking water, boiling water and for taking meals.

How does that work for Mobile employees or Site Work ?

Specifically the details in legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    a case of them not learned their lesson last time.

Colour me incorrect, but didn't they "win" last time and get what they striked for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Reati wrote: »
    Colour me incorrect, but didn't they "win" last time and get what they striked for?

Yep, pretty much.

They lost a bit of cash in the short term, but they've probably made up for it and more by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

hmmm wrote: »
    Strikes should be banned in essential public transport services.

for what. a strike usually only ever lasts a day and banning strikes quite likely has plenty of ways around it which are just as, if not probably more disruptive. banning strikes is dangerous and against workers rights and leads to workers being walked over. just ask the gards who are under paid, under funded as a force and who are unable to do their job to the full because of it, yet who are unable to strike. if they had been able to strike, the nonsense they have to put up with would be dealt with by now.
    hmmm wrote: »
    The public has put up with too much nonsense from transport unions in recent years.

yes we have had to put up with a couple of strikes here and there but that is life. if the conditions for a strike exist, it will happen. don't want strikes, then show support for good industrial relations between management and a work force. a few strikes over genuine issues, even if you don't see them to be yourself or agree with those issues, isn't nonsense, because the workers have decided that the issues are something that they have had no other option but to withdraw their labour to solve, given they have tried all else.
    yes, the union seems to not give much of a care to public opinion on this one.

gotta pick your battles sometimes and this one is spurious.

it's not the job of the union to care about public opinion, it's job is to look after it's members. public opinion rarely makes any difference to a dispute between workers and management these days anyway, and hasn't for quite a few years.
    then why do the unions go on the radio/news drumming up public support when there is industrial action ? Because the battle is won and lost in the court of public opinion.

they actually go on the radio to put their side across. if they get public support of course they aren't going to turn it down, it's nice to have. however your statement that the battle is won and lost in the court of public opinion is not really backed up by reality as the mixed results of various strikes have shown.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I can't wait till they automate the luas like the DLR in London.

if that is on the basis of a belief that there would be no strikes, unfortunately the dlr has had a number of them which have meant no service dispite being automated. so automating the luas, which is quite likely a long way off due to it's street running and little segregation, won't remove the likelyhood of a strike altogether.
    This reads just like a couple of hard liners spoiling for a fight. It looks like they want to run Transdev out of the Luas operation tbh.

I wonder what morale is like in the company. I mean the majority of drivers must know this is a spurious cause, but are they that intimidated by the hardliners among them that they just go along with this nonsense? Or do the majority really believe this guff?

i'd imagine the majority of them agree with what is to them, a genuine issue and not guff. i'd very much doubt they want to run transdev out of the operation as it would achieve absolutely nothing. if a few of them want CIE running the operation, they will find that they won't enjoy the same pay and perks they have currently.
    My office in my building was recently moved as part of a renovation. I don't think my boss considered that I'd have to walk an extra 50m to get to the canteen.

Nor do I care. Instead of eating lunch in Sandyford, they're now being given coolers and asked to eat in Broombridge instead.

And even then, only some of them some of the time.

In fact, what I imagine happens is the lads in Sandyford drive the Luas up in the morning to start the first service of the day from Broombridge. Surely there's a five minute window they can nip out and pop their lunch in the fridge. So what we're really talking about is the unions want Transdev to fork out hundreds of thousands of euro every year to save them from having to eat in a different place?

It's absolutely farcical.

hundreds of thousands of euro? last time i checked, a fridge does not cost that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Jesus Christ it's arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Incentive for things like not missing days and general productivity.

More like leverage to prevent industrial actions like these. "Complain and it'll cost you dearly...". Americanized employee management at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

BBFAN wrote: »
    Jesus Christ it's arrived.

Time to unfollow the thread.

if that is on the basis of a belief that there would be no strikes, unfortunately the dlr has had a number of them which have meant no service dispite being automated. so automating the luas, which is quite likely a long way off due to it's street running and little segregation, won't remove the likelyhood of a strike altogether.

i'd imagine the majority of them agree with what is to them, a genuine issue and not guff. i'd very much doubt they want to run transdev out of the operation as it would achieve absolutely nothing. if a few of them want CIE running the operation, they will find that they won't enjoy the same pay and perks they have currently.

hundreds of thousands of euro? last time i checked, a fridge does not cost that much.

It's not a fridge though is it? It's 5 extra employees to ensure they eat their lunch in the same place every single day.

Absolute madness.

Salespeople most often eat their lunch in the car whilst driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

The per way lads with Irish Rail, how do they cope?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The DB canteen in town sounds like a dump and it's open to the general public so it's not only for DB staff. Also Go-Ahead staff don't have anywhere to take their breaks in DL from what I hear.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The DB canteen in town sounds like a dump and it's open to the general public so it's not only for DB staff.

Oh god, the horror. Having to eat with the fûcking plebs. Next you’ll be telling us there’s no separate room for ones butler to dine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Oh god, the horror. Having to eat with the fûcking plebs. Next you’ll be telling us there’s no separate room for ones butler to dine.

I don't work for DB but from what I hear the place is full of junkies who would like junkies coming into your workplace and using the canteen.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I don't work for DB but from what I hear the place is full of junkies who would like junkies coming into your workplace and using the canteen.

If it was me I’d just eat on the damn train and wouldn’t have even thought of striking over this in the first place. If I felt that eating on the train was beneath my dignity I’d pony up for a cafe like every one else does.

It's not a fridge though is it? It's 5 extra employees to ensure they eat their lunch in the same place every single day.

Absolute madness.

well no, it quite likely is a fridge, as far as i understand there aren't the same facilities at broombridge as the other depot.
    the 5 extra employees is only a claim being made by transdev. it may be accurate and it may not be, and if it is accurate, it's quite likely at the very very extreme end of options to deal with what is a very easily solved problem by having all depots equipped with the same facilities and better rostering with existing drivers.
    Salespeople most often eat their lunch in the car whilst driving.

that's a much different job though with different aspects and characteristics.
    If it was me I’d just eat on the damn train and wouldn’t have even thought of striking over this in the first place. If I felt that eating on the train was beneath my dignity I’d pony up for a cafe like every one else does.

the thing is everyone else doesn't pony up for a cafe but does a mix of various options depending on job or situation. it's not the job of the drivers to eat on the train or tram but to eat in a good facility where they can rest, stretch their legs and have a decent break so that they can be ready for the next part of their shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

When surveyed 100% of drivers claimed to bring a packed lunch to work every single day since they started I'm sure
    It said that this has resulted in an increased cost to drivers as they no longer have the option of bringing their lunches to work.

You arrive in Broombridge, you have say 8 minutes before you head south again. Stretch the legs, throw it in the fridge, return later. If there is no fridge management can buy one

If you have no time a ticket checker or security guy or someone can bring it in for you, it's only 12 drivers a day. So so easy

listermint wrote: »
    How does that work for Mobile employees or Site Work ?

Specifically the details in legislation

They are the first 2 of 5 exclusions to the legal requirements:-
    (a) means of transport used outside the undertaking or a place of work inside a means of transport,

(b) temporary or mobile work sites, including construction sites,

(c) extractive industries,

(d) fishing boats,

(e) fields, woods and land forming part of an agricultural or forestry undertaking but situated away from the undertaking's build

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

isnt the very definition of a tram as a mobile work site ?

trellheim wrote: »
    isnt the very definition of a tram as a mobile work site ?

A tram is a place of work by definition, not a mobile work site.

Their break is taken in the depot, not the tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Broombridge but it doesn't have a staffed canteen so it's not fit for purpose.

No staffed canteen ? Oh the humanity.

No staffed canteen ? Oh the humanity.

Don't know how they manage to make their own tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Reati wrote: »

The operator got the deal over 4 years, unions wanted 3 so they company are paying prehaps a % more than they wanted to from day one. However, in return they got "full cooperation" on BXD and lunch brakes were part of the deal. Unions sold an unknown deal and it was accepted.

Unions are just testing them here, not a hope they will get a majority to reject the bonus annually over a trivial issue. Drivers change lines but those with any sense won't lose out on a bonus. Probably one or two shop stewarts pushing this.

Then again hiring an extra 5 drivers on 30,000 (lower entrant pay was part of deal, any agreement on that?) could be a good move longer term and remove the bonus for the next 3 years because staff will have failed to give full cooperation.

There will be one winner here and it won't be the drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I can't wait till they automate the luas like the DLR in London.

This reads just like a couple of hard liners spoiling for a fight. It looks like they want to run Transdev out of the Luas operation tbh.

I wonder what morale is like in the company. I mean the majority of drivers must know this is a spurious cause, but are they that intimidated by the hardliners among them that they just go along with this nonsense? Or do the majority really believe this guff?

My office in my building was recently moved as part of a renovation. I don't think my boss considered that I'd have to walk an extra 50m to get to the canteen.

Nor do I care. Instead of eating lunch in Sandyford, they're now being given coolers and asked to eat in Broombridge instead.

And even then, only some of them some of the time.

In fact, what I imagine happens is the lads in Sandyford drive the Luas up in the morning to start the first service of the day from Broombridge. Surely there's a five minute window they can nip out and pop their lunch in the fridge. So what we're really talking about is the unions want Transdev to fork out hundreds of thousands of euro every year to save them from having to eat in a different place?

It's absolutely farcical.

They're not asking for a fridge. They're asking to be allowed to take their lunch in Sandyford which Transdev said would require extra drivers to cover lunch periods.

Hence, hundreds of thousands of euro a year.

Advertisement