Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Drivers Cooler Bag Row

Options
  • 22-11-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭

Drivers have rejected Lab Court recommendation that cooler bags on the couple of shifts where lunch breaks are not at based depot. Likely to ballot for strike however
    https://twitter.com/ingridmileyRTE/status/1065680547593289729

Crazy if they decided to lose out on 3,000 or prehaps a case of them not learned their lesson last time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

What is the 6.5% bonus for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Naos wrote: »
    What is the 6.5% bonus for?

Incentive for things like not missing days and general productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Strikes should be banned in essential public transport services. The public has put up with too much nonsense from transport unions in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Outside of Dublin there's not much public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yes, the union seems to not give much of a care to public opinion on this one.

gotta pick your battles sometimes and this one is spurious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Outside of Dublin there's not much public transport.

How is this relevant to the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

yes, the union seems to not give much of a care to public opinion on this one.

gotta pick your battles sometimes and this one is spurious.

It's not in the unions brief to be swayed by public opinion.
    Their brief is to represent the union members.

Where out of curiosity are they supposed to eat their lunch?
    Is there a microwave or a kettle on every street corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The reason why this kicked off is because management decided it would be more efficient for drivers to ocassionally take lunch away from their home depot.

In the past, if someone started in Sandyford for instance and was working the green line, they would then need to back in Sandyford for their lunch. Extending the greenline to Broombridge means that the amount of time taken for the full run and time between the start of the working day and lunch don't always match up.

Which means that it's more efficient in some instances for a driver to start their day in Sandyford, have lunch in Broombridge and finish their day in Sandyford.

The union kicked off because then that means they can't bring in a packed lunch and that the Broombridge area isn't suitable for eating lunches.

Transdev said they'd provide every driver with a cooler so they could bring their packed lunch from their home depot to wherever they needed them to take lunch.

The unions are now threatening to go on strike.

Absolute embarassment.

Where then are they supposed to eat their lunch or is that just irrelevant?

There's a canteen in the Broombridge depot.

The problem is that most of them start their day in Sandyford so before they'd just leave it in the staff fridge at the depot and eat it when they came back for lunch. Obviously they can't do that anymore.

Some guys start in Broombridge where of course they'd have the same problem going the other way.

My understanding is that it doesn't really affect the red line guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The Broombridge canteen.

AFAIK the issue isnt that there are no facilities for drivers to eat their lunch.

The drivers are complaining that their lunch is not kept cold/fresh enough in the coolbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Broombridge but it doesn't have a staffed canteen so it's not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

troyzer wrote: »
    There's a canteen in the Broombridge depot.

The problem is that most of them start their day in Sandyford so before they'd just leave it in the staff fridge at the depot and eat it when they came back for lunch. Obviously they can't do that anymore.

Some guys start in Broombridge where of course they'd have the same problem going the other way.

My understanding is that it doesn't really affect the red line guys.

It sort of in a way does

The drivers switch between lines on different days

One day a driver could be on the green and another on the red etc

So it kind of effects them all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

then why do the unions go on the radio/news drumming up public support when there is industrial action ? Because the battle is won and lost in the court of public opinion.

It sort of in a way does

The drivers switch between lines on different days

One day a driver could be on the green and another on the red etc

So it kind of effects them all

I remember transdev saying that during the week, it only affects 10 drivers and none on the weekends.

To make it so that everyone could have lunch in Sandyford, they'd have to hire five new drivers.

It's mental.

then why do the unions go on the radio/news drumming up public support when there is industrial action ? Because the battle is won and lost in the court of public opinion.

They go on radio to publicise their issues and to make people aware of the issues that may affect them! It's called keeping the people informed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

LUNCH??? Ffs..Sometimes I start work in New York and end up in LA... lunch? What is this thing called lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I can't wait till they automate the luas like the DLR in London.

troyzer wrote: »
    I remember transdev saying that during the week, it only affects 10 drivers and none on the weekends.

To make it so that everyone could have lunch in Sandyford, they'd have to hire five new drivers.

It's mental.

They should have factored all those details in during the construction of the project. It just goes to show how much consideration they had for the drivers that they never foresaw something simple as dining arrangements!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This reads just like a couple of hard liners spoiling for a fight. It looks like they want to run Transdev out of the Luas operation tbh.

I wonder what morale is like in the company. I mean the majority of drivers must know this is a spurious cause, but are they that intimidated by the hardliners among them that they just go along with this nonsense? Or do the majority really believe this guff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If anybody believes this is anything other than a ply to get a meal allowance (which are tax free) then they need their head checked. Meal allowances are usually worth in the region of 3k per year where offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Outside of this, are all employers required to have these facilities for staff? A place to heat food/eat food?

I know the drivers had these facilities beforehand so I do have sympathy for them but was curious.

They should have factored all those details in during the construction of the project. It just goes to show how much consideration they had for the drivers that they never foresaw something simple as dining arrangements!

My office in my building was recently moved as part of a renovation. I don't think my boss considered that I'd have to walk an extra 50m to get to the canteen.

Nor do I care. Instead of eating lunch in Sandyford, they're now being given coolers and asked to eat in Broombridge instead.

And even then, only some of them some of the time.

In fact, what I imagine happens is the lads in Sandyford drive the Luas up in the morning to start the first service of the day from Broombridge. Surely there's a five minute window they can nip out and pop their lunch in the fridge. So what we're really talking about is the unions want Transdev to fork out hundreds of thousands of euro every year to save them from having to eat in a different place?

It's absolutely farcical.

Daith wrote: »
    Outside of this, are all employers required to have these facilities for staff? A place to heat food/eat food?

I know the drivers had these facilities beforehand so I do have sympathy for them but was curious.

The new place does have facilities. They want to eat in the old place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

Staff canteen or staffed canteen? There's no requirement for a company to provide a staffed canteen, lots of companies don't.

What are you on about!? Should they have reduced the distance between Sandyford and Broombridge somehow to ensure that drivers could make it back in time for lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Sometimes, when I'm travelling for work, I have to eat my lunch in my car, or, horror of horrors, actually skip lunch.

Little did I know how my human rights were being violated. Thanks for opening my eyes, people who sit pressing a button for for a few hours for €45k, you have done the country some service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is not about lunch its about "sending a message"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Why would they need a staffed canteen if the issue is about eating their packed lunches? Do they want someone to pour the tea for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Why would they need a staffed canteen if the issue is about eating their packed lunches? Do they want someone to pour the tea for them?

Apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Advertisement