Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Summer/ Autumn 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

How far out is Spanish plume from happening ? Does Spanish plume bring much rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    How far out is Spanish plume from happening ? Does Spanish plume bring much rain

Lad you are asking the same question everyday and getting the same answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Farmer2017 wrote: »

The Spanish Plume is still in the realms of chance and may or may not reach as far West as Ireland. It's more likely to drift up over France and the U.K than move over Ireland.

Even if it did arrive, it might only give us a few thundery downpours at best, and maybe nothing.

The chart below is two days old and it gives July 11th to be approaching the South coast of Ireland. I wouldn't be betting on any significant rainfall from it at this stage though

36498722_10213773385021109_5842403296458833920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4ef3d5eab1edc59441ebffade0acc02a&oe=5BDF1089

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The GFS 06z showed the Spanish plume barely making inroads to the UK - never mind Ireland. It prolongs the warm and settled conditions somewhat and then has some moderation but at the end, it starts to warm up again.

GFS 12z shows no thundery breakdown and keeps it settled until the third week of July.

Dare I say it: Downgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like GFS backing away from the breakdown.

With the way are weather is going a hurricane in September will bring the next significant rainfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Last frame of the 12Z ECM (+10 days) is a full on Europe-Wide Heatwave. Whole countries at >30°

What breakdown?

a77034fef6f384203d62498d4596afb9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Woohoo delighted!! :)

I have a feeling they show the breakdown because that’s what they are used to with Irish weather, but slowly they are learning maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

sdanseo wrote: »
    Last frame of the 12Z ECM (+10 days) is a full on Europe-Wide Heatwave. Whole countries at >30°

What breakdown?

a77034fef6f384203d62498d4596afb9.png
    Is it possible that the chart is showing a European high linking up with the Azores high to form a super high pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ooh baby

So we are getting seasons now

That’s cool ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Dominant HP from the Weekend into next week and then the ECM 12Z showing the ridge over Ireland being put under pressure the latter part of the week with a large area of LP tracking up towards Iceland possibly sending fronts in over us coupled with the slack are of LP drifting up from Biscay towards Southern UK . The 12Z shows us under a large Upper Trough by the end of the week if I am not mistaken.

What I am seeing in the charts is looking warm up until the end of next week with good summer temperatures with high temps in the low to mid 20's.

Possible rain at the end of the week. Possible thunderstorms. Cloudy weather at times.

NDGN7So.png

fnJBJjl.png

6DAgARf.png

aQQnGu8.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Grh4pdj.gif

LoAZpIv.gif

tempresult_obw9.gif

The GFS way out in FI T+240 onwards goes on the rampage after that with the Jet dropping to the S of Ireland and the Atlantic taking off into full swing with quick moving LP systems bringing wind and rain at stages. An Outlier ? Will watch the trends over a few days to see which way it is leaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just look how far north the Jet Stream is at +120!
    viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20180705;time=00;ext=123;file=jsslp;sess=30db647e0ca3e989f68168daa6d8a322;

Also ECMWF 0z shows no real breakdown, it just keeps going and going!

ECM1-216.GIF?05-12

To add weight to the OP run, ECM clusters are also in line with it in keeping things settled even as far out as day 15 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Am I looking at the same charts as everyone else?

Both GFS and ECM op runs are now clearly signaling a decline in pressure over Ireland from around July 9th onward. The ridge for next week is weaker on every run. The northern hemispheric view is better to assess this trend than the Europe only charts.

No Spanish plumes or especially explosive storms

No 30C + days on cards either by looks of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Both GFS and ECM op runs are now clearly signaling a decline in pressure over Ireland from around July 9th onward. The ridge for next week is weaker on every run. The northern hemispheric view is better to assess this trend than the Europe only charts.

Noooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭compsys

Looks OK to me. You seem quite desperate for a return to bad weather?

'Eh em..... the ECM charts clearly show what me and Villain are talking about.

You told me here to use the northern hemispheric view. I see nothing different. Jet stream is way to the north with low pressure over Iceland and we have high pressure over us linking up with the Azores High and a high over Scandinavia.

Z9NQKui.png

GNnsomL.png

compsys wrote: »
    Looks OK to me. You seem quite desperate for a return to bad weather?

No I’m only pointing out what is showing on the model output. 48 hours ago it looked like genuine heat wave conditions were returning from this weekend. This trend is dissolving on the models. And moreover the much vaunted Spanish plume has not just eroded but disappeared. There’s a change coming in my opinion, whether that’s good news (for some) or bad news (for others).

No I’m only pointing out what is showing on the model output. 48 hours ago it looked like genuine heat wave conditions were returning from this weekend. This trend is dissolving on the models. And moreover the much vaunted Spanish plume has not just eroded but disappeared. There’s a change coming in my opinion, whether that’s good news (for some) or bad news (for others).

Are you seeing what you are looking for maybe??

The spanish plume was our best hope of rain tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Great that the Plume is gone, better for longevity. Of course the change always comes eventually. Whether cold in winter or hot in summer the end game is always the Atlantic.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    'Eh em..... the ECM charts clearly show what me and Villain are talking about.

You told me here to use the northern hemispheric view. I see nothing different. Jet stream is way to the north with low pressure over Iceland and we have high pressure over us linking up with the Azores High and a high over Scandinavia.

Z9NQKui.png

GNnsomL.png

I said the pressure begins to decline I didn’t say there wasn’t still high pressure over us, but it’s the same declining trend that is evident in later frames of GFS which runs longer. That is certainly not heatwave conditions at 216, and 240 is even less promising looking.

I said the pressure begins to decline I didn’t say there wasn’t still high pressure over us, but it’s the same declining trend that is evident in later frames of GFS which runs longer. That is certainly not heatwave conditions at 216, and 240 is even less promising looking.

I never suggested heatwave conditions ever either........ all I've been saying is settled. This Summer is more about persistence of warm and dry weather rather than extreme side of heat (besides 27th-29th June for Ireland).

For what it's worth of your description, the GFS has forwarded the cool, unsettled phase this morning by a day or two compared to its backdating that it was doing yesterday. It also suggests a trade burst well into FI which it tends to overdo but going by outlooks, this heralds a change into August if you ask me. August, I can definitely see a change coming to something much more unsettled.

Mid-June brought a cool and brief unsettled blip with the jet stream going on a bit of a southerly track similar to how the GFS is showing for the third week of July which was then followed by the heatwave or warm spell. In fact, looking at it now, maybe we're seeing something similar going on here? For sure, we weren't seeing a Spanish plume in early June on the model outlook but the way the ECM has the high pressure aligned (besides the Scandi High) is similar to that of how the models showed for Wednesday 13th June for a couple of days then was followed by storm Hector.

Not doubting the weakening of the high or ridge at all by the way, the long range models such as the CFSv2 also show this for the third week of July but they then restrengthen it for week 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ItJustWorks

I never suggested heatwave conditions ever either........ all I've been saying is settled. This Summer is more about persistence of warm and dry weather rather than extreme side of heat (besides 27th-29th June for Ireland).

For what it's worth of your description, the GFS has forwarded the cool, unsettled phase this morning by a day or two compared to its backdating that it was doing yesterday. It also suggests a trade burst well into FI which it tends to overdo but going by outlooks, this heralds a change into August if you ask me. August, I can definitely see a change coming to something much more unsettled.

Mid-June brought a cool and brief unsettled blip with the jet stream going on a bit of a southerly track similar to how the GFS is showing for the third week of July which was then followed by the heatwave or warm spell. In fact, looking at it now, maybe we're seeing something similar going on here? For sure, we weren't seeing a Spanish plume in early June on the model outlook but the way the ECM has the high pressure aligned (besides the Scandi High) is similar to that of how the models showed for Wednesday 13th June for a couple of days then was followed by storm Hector.

Not doubting the weakening of the high or ridge at all by the way, the long range models such as the CFSv2 also show this for the third week of July but they then restrengthen it for week 4.

I could see this being a possibility. Though looking at the CFSv2. It's showing a rather mucky high bringing a lot of drizzle and cloud from the north west after the Atlantic checks out from the GFS in deep FI. But it could be situation where its mostly settled for the rest of the month after a week but the heat returns to more average/above average levels for the rest of the summer. UKMO's long range outlook seems to be hinting at this with the heat mostly residing in S/SE England and more Atlantic influence creeping in in the last week of July. Maybe we'll be compromising on Mostly Settled and pleasant with a few Atlantic interruptions?

IMO the ECM 12Z showing what looks like the possibility of a frontal passage and following showers at the end of next week associated with that big area of LP set to track near Iceland .

jJj0vg0.gif

sHAbMJq.gif

ektiNRp.gif

3iX2x3u.png

YbvtJYb.png

LOL at overnight runs, you say breakdown, models nah!

Just keeps getting pushed back and back

ECM1-192.GIF?06-12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

Villain wrote: »
    LOL at overnight runs, you say breakdown, models nah!

Just keeps getting pushed back and back

High pressure difficult to shift or as a tongue tied friend of mine once put it, it's difficult to shift under high pressure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

12z GFS very much backing down from a total breakdown now. Heights reducing, and a blip of mild low pressure (still only in the green) but still firmly on the side of highs throughout the run.

Am hoping to have a session for my birthday on the 21st, so yesterday's charts were as you can imagine an "ah for feck's sake kind of moment :D The old FI hypocrisy creeping back in of course - favourable charts, "sure how inaccurate can FI really be?" vs unfavourable charts, "it's only FI, you'd get a more accurate forecast drawing tea leaves" :D:D:D

gfs-0-360.png?12

Yeah, GFS 12z turns unsettled for Sunday 15th again but far from a washout and relatively cool temperatures at worst, staying mostly average to warm. Pressure just seems average after that initial turn to unsettled weather in FI in a flat westerly.

UKMO out as far as it goes, just anticyclonic and bags of sunshine besides possible morning mist or low cloud.

GEM is just high pressure fest throughout with no loss of strength in the high.

• Advertisement

GEM is just high pressure fest throughout with no loss of strength in the high.

Briefly, what are the known biases and caveats of the GEM model? For instance, I do know that where the Atlantic tropics are concerned, it has a reputation for being far more generous in upgrading non-tropical lows to tropical cyclones, which other models don't develop and which ultimately don't end up developing. As in, you can look at a CMC/GEM chart of vorticity in the Atlantic tropics and see two or three tropical storms or hurricanes forming throughout a run, where the GFS and ECM don't see any - and more often than not, the GEM does not verify in these circumstances.

Are there any other known biases with this model which we should look out for in the context of our own part of the world?

Briefly, what are the known biases and caveats of the GEM model? For instance, I do know that where the Atlantic tropics are concerned, it has a reputation for being far more generous in upgrading non-tropical lows to tropical cyclones, which other models don't develop and which ultimately don't end up developing. As in, you can look at a CMC/GEM chart of vorticity in the Atlantic tropics and see two or three tropical storms or hurricanes forming throughout a run, where the GFS and ECM don't see any - and more often than not, the GEM does not verify in these circumstances.

Are there any other known biases with this model which we should look out for in the context of our own part of the world?

I don't know of biases with the GEM but I know that it doesn't have a great verification record.

ECM 12z is a flat zonal westerly and perhaps getting very cool quite quick with the air coming off the cold north Atlantic.

Jesus FI really is all over the place! ECM flipping and flopping too.

I wouldn’t like to try call beyond +120 which makes The Eagles comments too very strange!

I wouldn’t like to try call beyond +120 which makes The Eagles comments too very strange!

I suspect that at least some of the current model uncertainty is related to invest 96-L, a disturbance currently off the US coast which is now formally designated by the nhc to become a tropical depression within the next couple of hours. Models seem to have difficulty with our weather when there's a northward moving subtropical disturbance which is not yet classified as a tropical cyclone and will interact with the jet stream at some stage, so I'd expect them to settle a bit once this system fully develops into a tropical cyclone this evening.

96L denoted by a red X on the left hand side of this image:

w0f0Ums.png

Special Message from NHC Issued 6 Jul 2018 20:10 UTC
    NHC will initiate advisories at 5 PM EDT on Tropical Depression Three located a couple hundred miles southeast of the North Carolina coast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

What did he say?
    Well he nearly guaranteed good weather for the next 10 days and to be little in the way of rain for remainder of the month..he sounded fairly certain of it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

harr wrote: »
    Well he nearly guaranteed good weather for the next 10 days and to be little in the way of rain for remainder of the month..he sounded fairly certain of it ...

Just his thoughts, nothing certain in a forecast. Let's hope he's bang on :)

Yes Tropical Depression Three as it is now known is set to become a Tropical Storm on Saturday. Will be interesting to see it's track and if it interacts with the weather tracking across the Atlantic towards us next weekend as depicted by the ECM.

NHC

The depression is moving toward the north-northwest or 335 degrees
    at about 4 knots. The tropical cyclone is currently located on the
    southwestern edge of the subtropical ridge, and this weak flow
    pattern should keep the depression on the same slow track for the
    next 24 hours or so. After that time, the steering currents are
    expected to collapse, and the cyclone should begin to meander for a
    couple of days well off the coast of North Carolina. Then a
    mid-level trough is expected to approach from the west and force
    the system on a northeastward track.

b8sYCdg.png

I believe you can see it in it's early stage to the SW of Bermuda before it tracks up along the Eastern seaboard of the US before being swept over the Atlantic in one form or another ( as a depression ? a Low Pressure system more than likely ).

cC6nDpL.gif

ZPUozW2.png

jpurM0K.png

HwRCBwz.png

What the ECM 12Z is showing this evening for next week end, frontal rain , but away too early to know for certain the timing, strength or if it will verify but it has been trending this for a few days in amongst the jumble of charts that has been coming out. Often a sign though that the models are struggling with a big change after a prolonged spell of similar patterns.

Bq3DD5B.png

79VvfZl.png

aBsm2tL.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The air between the Eastern Seaboard of the US and us is stupidly warm as compared to averages, and without looking, you'd imagine SSTs would be slightly above normal.

Warmer water fuels hurricanes and other cyclones and will contribute to their remnants as well.

(Note: this is not and cannot be an Ophelia when it reaches us. Forecast to track thousands of km too far north for that)

That's all I'll say for now other than that the last few months have thrown the rulebook away - and the fact that we're openly discussing an Atlantic Hurricane before it has even been named in terms of its impact on Ireland is quite extraordinary.

ECM 0Z Keeping the Ridge firmed up to the end of next week with good summer temperatures I would think with highs to the mid 20's and pushing back ( and holding back ) weather coming in from the Atlantic until later in the weekend. Will be interesting to compare the 12Z run to see if it shows another alternative .

fRMd7NK.png

T9hXQwC.png

bosSvNp.png

GiY9MDv.gif

eBZsznX.png

aMN3cMm.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This mornings GFS breaks up precip next Sunday, likely mainly cloudy and still warm then, delays any real fall by a day.

EDIT: Recent GFS pegged it back to Sunday again.

GFS 12Z rolling out and if this was to verify it would produce rainfall from next weekend and could turn quite wet with a large shallow area of LP sinking down over the country ( the remnants of Tropical Depression 3 perhaps ).

tempresult_jsv4.gif

tempresult_tax9.gif

tempresult_pjv8.gif

tempresult_rcx4.gif

GFS 12z is cool, unsettled and cyclonic.

GEM 12z = Summer 2018 lives on.

UKMO starts to turn unsettled at the very end.

Yeah, I definitely think Tropical Depression 3 and Beryl are causing a ruckus in the model output. This is just silly at this stage.

If ECM 12z follows history of previous days, it will be an unsettled run. The ECM 12z runs have had a tendency to be unsettled recently even though the 0z runs tended to be settled.

If ECM 12z follows history of previous days, it will be an unsettled run. The ECM 12z runs have had a tendency to be unsettled recently even though the 0z runs tended to be settled.

It does not follow history, staying settled and warm.

It does not follow history, staying settled and warm.

Well then obviously this is the correct model and all the others are just worthless pieces of junk which we can safely ignore ;)

ECM continues to show the ridge over us by Fri, and then gradually dropping in pressure as areas of Lp ( possible depression ) push in from the W. By no means certain. Models still trying to place now named Tropical Storm Chris ( set to become a hurricane )in the mix. See where the remnants ends up on the latest run. This will take many more days to resolve.

Mm53Ii5.png

p4qCXYL.png

pHnqAeA.png

cgMZk6B.png

bhXEHJO.gif

Have not done one of these kinds of posts in quite a while now but this is my update on everything and my thoughts on the outlook which in fairness has proved to be a big headache.

To start off, let's have a look at the latest run of the GFS model. What can I say? Well, it's a very different run compared to pretty much every other GFS run we've seen in the past few days. It keeps high pressure going up to and including Sunday 15th (St. Swithin's Day) with further settled and dry weather although some showers possible Thursday/Friday generated by the heat and slacker gradients for a time in the atmosphere. After Sunday 15th, everything goes slack again with average pressure for the third week of July with nothing definitively unsettled or a washout being indicated on this run, just some light rain bands or showers and sunny spells. Temperatures would be going back down towards average over Ireland but as you can see from Tuesday 17th on this run, the cool 850hPa temperatures over the North Atlantic just don't quite get in to Ireland thanks to a continuously anomalous area of above average heights to the east and over the Azores as well as the jet stream splitting into two.

This is a very different run as I said to what we've seen from the GFS these past few days so it's to be taken in isolation as the overall consensus is for a brief unsettled and cooler period - until we start seeing similar runs to this GFS 12z of course.

3359s2g.png

HV9KrS4.png

5M4RNRw.png

UKMO keeps things settled and at the end of its run, the high starts to go to the east pulling in a south to southeasterly flow. On this run, this flow looks stable and high pressure dominated so don't expect convection really if the UKMO 12z were to come off. This is different to yesterday's UKMO 12z which wanted things to turn unsettled by that time frame so again like the GFS 12z to be taken in isolation and not very serious until we see trends of it appear.

psYl6CJ.gif

What is causing all the ruckus? Simply, Tropical Storm Chris. This is the current expected track of Chris up to Friday. It is expected to become extratropical by either Saturday 14th or Sunday 15th as it comes closer to our shores. The exact track of Chris is uncertain. Previous runs showed it coming through us and bringing us a bout of wet and windy weather but today's UKMO and GFS show it well to the north of us barely having an impact on Ireland.

Chris could be the start of an unsettled spell OR it could even prolong the settled weather again! Let's take a trip back to August 2014 and also April this year.

Both lows; ex-hurricane Cristobal on 31 August 2014 and "Irene" on 16 April 2018; promoted ridging over us. The first one, Cristobal, gave away to one of the driest Septembers on record in our countries with barely any rainfall for a lot of places for much of the month following a very wet end to Summer 2014. Meanwhile, Irene gave away to an exceptional warm spell for the time of year (at least in the UK) and later, a very dry May along with a very dry June with lots and lots of high pressure being the dominant influence. Same could happen with Chris this time in prolonging the settled weather again with it helping to ascend more high pressure from the south (which will be bad news). The Azores High is still very strong and ridgey. Add the fact that the GFS was "toying" onto this idea too yesterday well in FI on some runs. I would not be surprised whatsoever if this was to actually happen given how the Summer has turned out so far and with reasons above given light. You could also consider Hector of mid-June.

PCfRR9q.png

dSdJF4K.png

Rg7wDxd.png

GFS ensembles seem to have upgraded the warmer than average temperatures too out to Tuesday 17th but we'll see the whole suite soon.

Uncertainty is a big issue out as early as later this week so taking anything serious beyond that time is a bit pointless.

On the latest ECM 12Z shows remnants of soon to be named Hurricane Chris become absorbed into an already formed large area of LP and move close to our shores towards the end of next week or start of the following week.. In this run the area of LP seems to become blocked by Hp over Europe. Going to go through a lot of different scenarios in the next few days. We will have the remnants of Hurricane Beryl possibly joining into the mix also! If ever there was a time to take the models in FI with an open mind then this is one.

hTPO8BA.gif

hmUGa7B.gif

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1016039339669803008

https://twitter.com/wxcharts/status/1015944371764637698

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1015933677723897856

An example of a large area of LP sending warm humid air up over us on this run anyway. This would probably be cloudy and wet also. the Jet in on the action keeping it spinning and windy. Whatever about getting areas of LP in from the Atlantic we don't want them parking on our doorstep for sure. Again all very much subject to change.

0AUtBrB.png

9bgFqHi.png

Ad2TRwT.png

oCBIiDd.png

GFS 18Z showing the remnants of Hurricane Chris ( see it moving up along East US before coming across over the ridge ) opening the door to the Atlantic. Not showing up as particularly windy on this run but paving the way for rain if it were to happen.

AeYjRMq.gif

ctT9N7l.gif

rSIY1W7.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement