Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hiking as a first date with an online dating match - dangerous?

Options
  • 23-12-2020 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭

I’ve been asked on a hike with a guy I matched with on bumble after chatting for a while including over the phone. This will be the first date. I didn’t really think twice about saying yes as it’s part of the Dublin mountains that’s always busy with lots of walkers and I like the idea of getting out in the fresh air (outdoors is the only option really for dates at the moment). He is bringing his dogs.
    However when I mentioned it to a male friend he told me I was very stupid to agree to this and that I would end up dead and buried. I know where this guy works and he used to work where I work now and he knows I know all of this detail because he told me. Am I crazy to agree or is my friend just thinking worst case scenario and freaking out over nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

First and early dates always in an accessible public place. I'm not keen on walks as first dates anyway but there's not enough money in the world to convince me that heading up into the mountains with a stranger could be a good idea. Listen to your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Yeah that seems like a pretty stupid idea to be honest.

That's a bit much for a first date. Just go for a coffee first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

If it is a busy trail and you know the area I wouldn't worry too much, but that's just me.

Alternatively, suggest a walk around a more populated costal area.

It depends where exactly you are going OP, I know the Dublin mountains well, and if you're going to the likes of tick nock, you will be as safe as if you were on Grafton St.
    Stick to main roads/tracks and don't be going for hours!

I used to walk all the time alone with the dog and you wouldn't believe the amount of guys I work with who told me i.was stupid, and 'asking to be raped'!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

I don’t think I’ve ever been to the Dublin mountains to my memory, so I don’t know how busy they are. When you say busy, do you mean there is absolutely constantly someone around, like a public park sort of thing? In that case, I wouldn’t be too concerned. However, if it is just relatively busy for a random mountain spot, I would be more cautious. I wouldn’t be getting into anyone’s car or going anywhere with anyone that I would be out of sight of other people for an amount of time - thus the advice of meeting in public places for first dates. We women have to be careful unfortunately.

Now, statistically, you’re most likely to be perfectly safe and fine, and I hope it goes well in various aspects other than the health and safety ones! :) It’s your call on what to do, you are the one privy to every piece of information here. The best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

This is a terrible idea for all sorts of reasons. Even if this guy isn't an axe murderer who wants to bury you in a shallow grave, it's madness to put yourself into a situation that you won't find it easy to get out of. You can talk and message somebody all you want but it is no substitute for meeting somebody in person. What if you realise in the car park that you don't fancy him or he is giving out some creepy vibes you can't quite put your finger on? Or after 5 minutes of walking, all you want to do is make your excuses and leave? It'd be a better idea to meet him somewhere else for a first date and then make your judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I think it sounds like a lovely first date. The only concern I'd realistically have is that when you actually meet that conversation will be strained and it'll be quite a long awkward date.

But I think a hike sounds really nice for a first date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Jizique

blue note wrote: »
    I think it sounds like a lovely first date. The only concern I'd realistically have is that when you actually meet that conversation will be strained and it'll be quite a long awkward date.

But I think a hike sounds really nice for a first date.

Even if the dog is an Alsatian or a Doberman?
    With all the best will in the world, I would recommend something less extreme; Marley Park would be a better option if exercise and outdoors are necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

A work colleague of mine once went on a first date hike with someone. She turned on 'share my location' on her iphone with her best friend as a precaution.
    She also made it clear she had other plans for afterwards and drove there in her own car.
    As I recall I think she had her friend ring her during the date to check in too.

Not sure I'd do it myself. Maybe suggest a beach walk or park wall instead if you feel iffy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My first reaction....are you mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

There are many reasons I think this is a bad idea.
    First and foremost there's the obvious danger aspect. It doesn't matter that you know where he works, people used to work with Graham Dywer and described him as a nice "normal" man!

Secondly, as Tork said, what if you don't fancy him or feel any spark or connection. I'd usually know within 5 minutes if I fancy someone or not. If you don't you're stuck on a hike with him. If you want a hiking buddy join a hiking meet up. He could have a creepy vibe or be really negative on the hike complaining about the weather etc. It really could be a disaster!

Lastly and this could be my vanity talking but hiking gear and a big red face don't exactly scream sexy to me:)
    Personally I'd much rather meet for a coffee or a take away beer and a walk round the iveagh gardens then trek up the blustery Dublin mountains possibly to my death!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Porklife wrote: »
    There are many reasons I think this is a bad idea.
    First and foremost there's the obvious danger aspect. It doesn't matter that you know where he works, people used to work with Graham Dywer and described him as a nice "normal" man!

Secondly, as Tork said, what if you don't fancy him or feel any spark or connection. !

With regard to the workplace thing it’s not that anybody with a good job can’t be a murderer, it’s that he knows I know his name and where he works (we also know mutual people because he used to work where I do now) and that I have told a friend. With Graham Dwyer he concealed his identity and poor Elaine only knew him by his username on that fetish website where they met.

I hear you on the it’s a long time to be stuck with somebody if you are not feeling it! However I know we will at least have a good conversation (we have spoken on the phone and I am pretty good at weeding creeps/people I wouldn’t like intellectually out at chat stage), even if I don’t fancy him and therefore I would be happy to walk away for an hour and then just let that be that if there was no spark. I just feel as long as the walk is busy with others (which is tends to be, and it’s Wicklow mountains not Dublin ones my mistake) there is no danger. But friends are divided, some think I’m crazy as do some posters here :)

seenitall wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve ever been to the Dublin mountains to my memory, so I don’t know how busy they are. When you say busy, do you mean there is absolutely constantly someone around, like a public park sort of thing? In that case, I wouldn’t be too concerned. However, if it is just relatively busy for a random mountain spot, I would be more cautious. I wouldn’t be getting into anyone’s car or going anywhere with anyone that I would be out of sight of other people for an amount of time - thus the advice of meeting in public places for first dates. We women have to be careful unfortunately.

Now, statistically, you’re most likely to be perfectly safe and fine, and I hope it goes well in various aspects other than the health and safety ones! :) It’s your call on what to do, you are the one privy to every piece of information here. The best of luck!
    Thank you! And I definitely won’t be getting into his car or going off course or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

It's water under the bridge now but if I was in your shoes, I'd not be revealing where I lived or worked that early in the day. At least not until I'd met him in person and got a better idea of what he was like. It's up to you what you choose to do for this first date. I wouldn't be comfortable with it but I'm not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Larry Bee

Do you think you'll be able to relax and enjoy the date after havi g this pointed out to you and reading the replies here?

Tork wrote: »
    It's water under the bridge now but if I was in your shoes, I'd not be revealing where I lived or worked that early in the day. At least not until I'd met him in person and got a better idea of what he was like. It's up to you what you choose to do for this first date. I wouldn't be comfortable with it but I'm not you.

Good advice and I normally don’t - but when i see lawyer as occupation I sort of like to check because we need to make sure we don’t both work for the same firm.
    I think your point about being comfortable is important too. I feel comfortable myself - but I was curious to see am I an outlier in that regard.

Larry Bee wrote: »
    Do you think you'll be able to relax and enjoy the date after havi g this pointed out to you and reading the replies here?

Yes, I think so. I mean I was completely relaxed about it until my friends reaction. And some of the posters here have said as long as it’s in a busy sport and we are not alone there’s no real need for concern, it hasn’t been all on the negative don’t do it side.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

It's a great idea to go for a hike. Just stay on the main trails and keep your phone handy or even have someone able to see your location. Like WhatsApp Live tracking.

If you have someone who can help, they could kind of tag along in the background, either secretly or let the date know.

Ranjo wrote: »
    It's a great idea to go for a hike. Just stay on the main trails and keep your phone handy or even have someone able to see your location. Like WhatsApp Live tracking.

If you have someone who can help, they could kind of tag along in the background, either secretly or let the date know.

I think this is a good idea - no harm in it. And I agree - getting out and about in nature and enjoying the sights together sounds lovely. And if they like me in my hiking boots and big jacket etc, it’s a plus :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hamachi

YellowLead wrote: »
    Yes, I think so. I mean I was completely relaxed about it until my friends reaction. And some of the posters here have said as long as it’s in a busy sport and we are not alone there’s no real need for concern, it hasn’t been all on the negative don’t do it side.

Hi OP,

My first date with my now wife was a run. We’re both runners. Having said that, it was in a very public, well populated park.

Personally, I think a hike sounds like a great idea for a date. However, I’d hold off until you know this fella a little better. It’s prudent to exercise a degree of caution when you are meeting a virtual stranger for the first time. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Whats the problem with the alternative walk suggestion that isnt up the mountains? If he's anyway normal he'll understand why you'd want to suggest somewhere less remote. Also a low lying park in winter is probably better than a blustery mountain so not really seing what you're missing out on here.

You can chat online or talk over the phone for weeks and wouldn't get as good a reading on someone compared to 30 seconds in their company in real life so leaving yourself in a potentially awkward position sounds a little unnecessary. He also may not be into you in real life and want out of the situation and regret the choice of location so may be awkward from that regard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

First date a hike. That is odd and bringing his dogs on a first date thats odd too. Maybe thats part of his selection process if she says yes then she has no problem with two important things in his life cause hes not for changing.

TheadoreT wrote: »
    You can chat online or talk over the phone for weeks and wouldn't get as good a reading on someone compared to 30 seconds in their company in real life so leaving yourself in a potentially awkward position sounds a little unnecessary. He also may not be into you in real life and want out of the situation and regret the choice of location so may be awkward from that regard too.

I’m very confident in myself and if somebody felt they weren’t into me it won’t bother me in the slightest! I only meet people who are mature and self confident and polite too - I never meet anybody if I am uncertain whether we will get along and there is a risk the date might be weird (and yes as a result I’m probably overly fussy but it works for me) I never know if attraction will be there, or if we would be compatible romantically - but I always know if I’ll be able to chat away to somebody or not.

I appreciate all of this feedback however - it’s what I asked for and it’s interesting to see different perspectives so I thank everybody who has posted to date.
    By the way I’m not going hiking for the whole day up to the top of any mountain, it’s more an hour around the foot of the mountains where lots of other walkers will be, and where the scenery is lovely - nicer than a city/town park in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

As a very regular hiker in both the Dublin and Wicklow mountains I would say this all depends on where exactly you are proposing to walk.

If you are around Kilmashogue and Ticknock then you are as safe as if you were in St Stephen's Green. A great many of these walks are extremely busy all year round and especially so at holiday time like Christmas/New Year.

There are however a lot of other trails that are extremely remote and probably not the wisest move with a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

If he brings a nice picnic for you, he's a keeper.

Enjoy your date.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    If he brings a nice picnic for you, he's a keeper.

Enjoy your date.

Now does he need to hand make it himself, or can it be shop bought lol. He has said he will bring lunch given we can’t sit in somewhere and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

I’m very confident in myself and if somebody felt they weren’t into me it won’t bother me in the slightest! I only meet people who are mature and self confident and polite too - I never meet anybody if I am uncertain whether we will get along and there is a risk the date might be weird (and yes as a result I’m probably overly fussy but it works for me) I never know if attraction will be there, or if we would be compatible romantically - but I always know if I’ll be able to chat away to somebody or not.

I appreciate all of this feedback however - it’s what I asked for and it’s interesting to see different perspectives so I thank everybody who has posted to date.
    By the way I’m not going hiking for the whole day up to the top of any mountain, it’s more an hour around the foot of the mountains where lots of other walkers will be, and where the scenery is lovely - nicer than a city/town park in my opinion.

I mean it sounds like there isn't a doubt in your mind and you were cracking on with it regardless of the thread.

With regards your friends worries, is there much risk of going- probably not. Is there a higher chance of something happening than there would in a more traditional first date location- absolutely. But still in the negligible category, probably talking the difference of .0001 and .000000001 so go on and have fun and best of luck.

Also the person who said bringing dogs is odd is absolutely wrong for the simple fact that dogs are the best.

TheadoreT wrote: »
    I mean it sounds like there isn't a doubt in your mind and you were cracking on with it regardless of the thread.

With regards your friends worries, is there much risk of going- probably not. Is there a higher chance of something happening than there would in a more traditional first date location- absolutely. But still in the negligible category, probably talking the difference of .0001 and .000000001 so go on and have fun and best of luck.

Also the person who said bringing dogs is odd is absolutely wrong for the simple fact that dogs are the best.

Before I started the thread there was an element of doubt after my friends reaction, but having listened to the logic here - the positive comments that’s it’s not a bad idea, just take precautions I have my mind made up to continue. Even if there is probably more advice not to go, I wanted to hear both sides.
    And I echo that about the dogs - I love dogs but don’t have any so it will be fun to hang out with somebody else’s. They will add to the conversation too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Now does he need to hand make it himself, or can it be shop bought lol. He has said he will bring lunch given we can’t sit in somewhere and get it.

And you could bring a nice dessert.... or a flask of hot chocolate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement