Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

“The Book People” Clearance sale plus extra 35% off code

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

Got an e-mail today to say my order (of 3 March) was dispatched today. Yay! Ordered a couple of diet cookbooks - who knew how badly I would need them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    Got an e-mail today to say my order (of 3 March) was dispatched today. Yay! Ordered a couple of diet cookbooks - who knew how badly I would need them :D

Did you use your own address or parcel motel /parcel wizard /address pal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

R11 wrote: »
    Did you use your own address or parcel motel /parcel wizard /address pal?

Parcel Motel

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    Parcel Motel

Looks like those of us who ordered to home address are being left to the end..... If we get them at all.

According to my online banking I ordered on March 9th.
    Haven't heard a thing since. Irish address :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

I ordered on the 3rd March and one box was at my local post office last Wednesday using AddressPal. One box mysteriously arrived in Portlaoise but in fairness to An Post they sent it on to my local PO. Picked both boxes up today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Ordered 3rd March. To Irish address. Nothing received so far.

What's the story is it never turns up?! Do we get payment back or is it gone? I order about 150 euro worth of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

bailey99 wrote: »
    Ordered 3rd March. To Irish address. Nothing received so far.

What's the story is it never turns up?! Do we get payment back or is it gone? I order about 150 euro worth of stuff.

If you dont do charge back money are gone i presume. Btw you only have 45 days from purchase date to do it so I wouldn't wait for it too long.

devil-80 wrote: »
    If you dont do charge back money are gone i presume. Btw you only have 45 days from purchase date to do it so I wouldn't wait for it too long.

Isn't it 120 days or has that changed recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Isn't it 120 days or has that changed recently?

I don't see any issue here as its the administrators we have all being buying from rather than a company that has debts. If its the same or similar rules to here, then purchasing from the administrators is protected. I would simply say they are swamped and social distancing makes that even more difficult.

But on chargeback, its 120 days from the date you expected the service/product with a maximum 540 days from the transaction. So if you bought a experience ticket last April (2019) for June 2020 and the company closed in June, you would still have until Sept to do a chargeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Anyone get an update on theirs, nothing for me yet , think I ordered on the 3rd

Hococop wrote: »
    Anyone get an update on theirs, nothing for me yet , think I ordered on the 3rd

Nothing. Ordered 7 weeks ago....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭in2dark

Nothing. Ordered 7 weeks ago....

Ordered on 4th and NADA

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Capet

Hi. I ordered on march 2nd. Delivery to Irish address. Just got email now to say order has been dispatched! Phew

Capet wrote: »
    Hi. I ordered on march 2nd. Delivery to Irish address. Just got email now to say order has been dispatched! Phew

Good to hear. Hopefully we'll get dispatch email this week.

When i see the email ill believe so far nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I ordered the 3rd March to an Irish address. I was about to give up but hopefully I’ll hear something soon so!

I had nearly given up. I emailed their customer service about a week ago, didn't hear anything back. All the books I ordered have been sent except one. Bought a few sets of books, looks like they have been sent in two seperate packages. Hopefully they'll arrive ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Ordered 3rd March and not a dickie bird from them since. Contacted their customer service maybe 2 weeks ago and no response. Not the first time I have found their customer service to be very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Ordered 3rd March and not a dickie bird from them since. Contacted their customer service maybe 2 weeks ago and no response. Not the first time I have found their customer service to be very poor.

Customer service???

Why would they give a damn about answering your email?

The company is bust and the court appointed administrators have been clearing stock out ridiculously cheap to clear the warehouse.

No one has made an offer to buy the company, so customer service is going to be non existent as there is zero benefit to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

You'd be doing very well to get a response from a company that doesn't exist

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Still waiting, but in no hurry

Just got this email -
    Thank you for getting in touch with us at The Book People.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in despatching your order. We would like to reassure you that all orders are being fulfilled. However due to unprecedented circumstances and high demand due to our clearance sales, standard orders are currently taking longer than usual to be despatched.

Your order has been processed and is due to be despatched shortly. Once your order has been despatched you will receive an email to confirm your order is on the way and this email will also include a tracking link so you can follow the progress of the parcel with our courier.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. If you have any further questions, enquiries or feedback, please contact us. We’re happy to help.

Kind regards,

Gareth Phillips

Customer Services Team

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just got this email -

Cool, when did you email them?
    I sent them one on 12th April but haven't heard anything back since.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Customer service???

Why would they give a damn about answering your email?

The company is bust and the court appointed administrators have been clearing stock out ridiculously cheap to clear the warehouse.

No one has made an offer to buy the company, so customer service is going to be non existent as there is zero benefit to do so.

Ok, chill the beans! Is there any need for the aggressive tone? I actually didn’t know they were in administration or whatever their situation is. I have a toddler and both my partner and I continue to work full time, we barely have them to shower so I don’t have time to keep up with every development going on in the online retail sector on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ok, chill the beans! Is there any need for the aggressive tone? I actually didn’t know they were in administration or whatever their situation is. I have a toddler and both my partner and I continue to work full time, we barely have them to shower so I don’t have time to keep up with every development going on in the online retail sector on top of that.
    Sorry, it wasn't aimed at you, but the info is all on this thread.

What I'm saying is that this is how administrators work. Once they know that they won't have a buyer, they have no interest in providing "customer service".

Cool, when did you email them?
    I sent them one on 12th April but haven't heard anything back since.

Not sure about 2 weeks ago. But looks like we'll get our orders.... Eventually.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Sorry, it wasn't aimed at you, but the info is all on this thread.

What I'm saying is that this is how administrators work. Once they know that they won't have a buyer, they have no interest in providing "customer service".

I didn’t have time to read the full thread, a toddler, no crèche and 2 full time working parents means no time for such luxuries and it appears that some people are in fact getting responses. Thanks for the info. My understanding is administration lasts a period of 3 months so that doesn’t explain the poor customer service from long before that. It’s not the first time I have contacted them to follow up on an order and not received a reply and that was many months ago.

I will just contact my bank for a chargeback in that case.

Just to update to say that my books were delivered today. Two separate packages. So there is some hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Do you mind me asking what date you ordered ?
    Just to update to say that my books were delivered today. Two separate packages. So there is some hope

2nd of march. They emailed me last week to say the order, apart from one book, was dispatched. Received it today

• Registered Users Posts: 30 traceystacey

I ordered on the 1st of March and received my order this morning via GLS

I ordered on the 4th
    I emailed them twice. Never got any answer back.
    I called them 3 times. They said on the phone they will email the warehouse to prioritise my order...

Eventually today i got 2 out of the 3 boxes. The other one in theory will come tomorrow.

On the phone they told me they dont even check the emails...

I ordered 3 march and didnt received anything only email which could be sent to anybody.Chargeback requested from Revolut so either get books or money from Visa if they dont give good explenation for this very long delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I ordered 3 march and didnt received anything only email which could be sent to anybody.Chargeback requested from Revolut so either get books or money from Visa if they dont give good explenation for this very long delay.

Surely the pandemic is as good an explanation as any?

• Advertisement

1 Pandemic

2 HUGE volume of orders

3 Notification that it is taking 7 weeks for dispatch

so, they are a few days late and you've rushed for a chargeback?

Suppose if you get delivery and chargeback you'll keep both.

4 weeks was promise to me when ive placed order then 7 weeks thats gone and nothing so couldn't t wait longer revolut have only 45days for it. Not going to keep it if i ever get the books and if you want to wait for it till christmas like for money back from Ryanair that's your choice. In my opinion if they couldn deliver books in promised time they should cancel order simple as that.
    silver2020 wrote: »
    1 Pandemic

2 HUGE volume of orders

3 Notification that it is taking 7 weeks for dispatch

so, they are a few days late and you've rushed for a chargeback?

Suppose if you get delivery and chargeback you'll keep both.

4 weeks was promise to me when ive placed order then 7 weeks thats gone and nothing so couldn't t wait longer revolut have only 45days for it. Not going to keep it if i ever get the books and if you want to wait for it till christmas like for money back from Ryanair that's your choice. In my opinion if they couldn deliver books in promised time they should cancel order simple as that.

Christmas is a utterly wild exaggeration and what on earth does a book shop have to do with Ryanair?

45 days must be some rule of revolut as both mastercard and visa offer 540 days and once one of those symbols are on it, it is the mastercard or visa chargeback you apply on.

You may be mixing it up with a sepa direct debit or something else unless revolut have dodgy practices.

The 7 weeks notification was put up on March 5th as that when i made a second order. Then oyu had the coronavirus issue that is causing further delays.

Yes, it would be helpful if they put a note on their website, but as was mentioned by others, this is an administration process operated by a reputable accountancy firm, so I certainly have no worries whatsoever

Dont know where did you find so many days where max is 120 days or 180 for chargeback and this timeframes are vary.
    https://blog.revolut.com/what-is-a-chargeback/
    Anyway its my money and my decision so i did whatever i thought is the best for me to keep my mone safe in case if books never arrive and my timeframe will be gone.

Dont know where did you find so many days where max is 120 days or 180 for chargeback and this timeframes are vary.
    https://blog.revolut.com/what-is-a-chargeback/
    Anyway its my money and my decision so i did whatever i thought is the best for me to keep my mone safe in case if books never arrive and my timeframe will be gone.
    Its sort of off topic, but maybe good for you to know in future.

That link states clearly that it is 120 days from the agreed delivery date of your goods (this is then subject to an overall limit of 540 days). So if you bought concert tickets last May for a concert this week and it was cancelled, you would have until the end of August to commence a chargeback. That over a year since the transaction but within 120 days of the "delivery date"

Same with this or any retail transaction. Its 120 days (4 months) from the expected date of delivery.

Its the merchant (retailer) who has 45 days to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

I received a reply from an email I sent a few weeks back asking for an update.
    My orders were on 3rd and 6th March.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in despatching your orders. We would like to reassure you that all orders are being fulfilled. However due to unprecedented circumstances and high demand due to our clearance sales, standard orders are currently longer than usual to be despatched.

Your orders have been processed and are due to be despatched shortly. Once an order has been despatched you will receive an email to confirm your order is on the way and this email will also include a tracking link so you can follow the progress of the parcel with our courier.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. If you have any further questions, enquiries or feedback, please contact us. We’re happy to help.

Kind regards,

Gareth Phillips

Customer Services Team

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I spoke with someone on the phone last week and they did inform me that anyone who wanted to cancel the order could and would refunded but I’ve waited this long I decided to wait another while . Maybe if you keep trying the phone number you will eventually get through and request a refund .

Finally the third part of my order was delivered today.

I want to emphasise that calling them unlocked my dispatch.

Once again thanks OP for the bargain. 127 books for 80 euros including shipping was great bargain.

Waiting for so long was not good or smtg i would recommend.

I was about to go for refund, just called them and hoped that would help.

Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Don't mind waiting as I'm not in a rush, Hopefully we will see ours processing soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

No longer taking orders according to their website.

No longer taking orders according to their website.

They stopped taking orders about 3 weeks ago.

edit - rang them earlier. Very pleasant girl, she was working from home and sounded very tired. I told her i understood fully the frustration and probably people blaming her. She got a laugh out of that - apologised profusely for the delay, said they have over 70,000 orders still in the backlog and are processing about 5,000 a day. She said mine was still in the queue but its in the top part now and would expect to go out early next week.

I ordered 5th March.

If you are calling, have the customer number ready as that's what they use for checking.

But with schools unlikely to be open before September, the new books will be welcome whenever they arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

silver2020 wrote: »
    They stopped taking orders about 3 weeks ago.
    Haven't the time with all the emails they are getting from impatient Paddies.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Haven't the time with all the emails they are getting from impatient Paddies.

I know it’s lockdown for some but surely you could find something more productive to do with your time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

I know it’s lockdown for some but surely you could find something more productive to do with your time?

I think it's a reasonable comment. People bought books for pennies in the pound and some expect 5 star service despite the company closing and the world going to pot since 2/3rd March. :rolleyes:

I think it's a reasonable comment. People bought books for pennies in the pound and some expect 5 star service despite the company closing and the world going to pot since 2/3rd March. :rolleyes:

Maybe it would be if this was AH, I thought casual racism wasn’t considered a basis of reasonable commenting outside of that but it takes all kinds I guess....

• Advertisement
Advertisement