Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is RTE Gold about to go FM?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Strange times when RTE Gold play ads and news! Took me a while to realise what was different...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Of course, if the audience numbers/commercial advertisers insist on RTÉ Gold being more widely available on FM across daytime beyond the current Sat/Sun afternoons on RTÉ Radio 1, it will bring further pressure on RTÉ to re-consider all their options. I would imagine the private independent commercial radio sector would not welcome RTÉ Gold on FM unless RTÉ was required to close another existing RTÉ national radio service. The existing RTÉ "Digital Only" stations cannot sustain themselves as channels like RTÉ Gold, RTÉ Pulse, RTÉ 2XM, RTÉ junior/RTÉ chill and RTÉ Radio 1 Extra cannot run commercial advertising. It was unusual to hear ads today while tuning into the music on GOLD but then I remembered I was listening to it via RTÉ Radio 1 FM feed which would still need to carry adverts as a national FM station. These unusual times could result in RTÉ GOLD being given a reprieve in some form.

Will RTÉ Gold eventually replace RTÉ 2fm or RTÉ Lyric fm or else share bandwidth with one of these national FM stations at certain hours of the day/night to gain a further foothold on FM as I think it will gain more FM airtime after the GOLD on Radio 1 experiments?
    Will Leahy is really plugging how to access the station today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Will Leahy always promotes RTE Gold and he is a true radio man. I can tell he longs for the old days of 2FM..like many of us do.

His playlist was very safe today, as RTE Gold normally plays more obscure stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

What’s the big deal in RTE Gold all of a sudden, The only reason it was on RTE Radio 1 today is because there was no sport

What’s the big deal in RTE Gold all of a sudden, The only reason it was on RTE Radio 1 today is because there was no sport

Promoting RTE Gold to a larger mainstream audience. Also, they might as well simulcast the same music output from 2 to 6 while no sport is on, rather than having it on 2 different stations.

• Advertisement

I suppose it made little or no sense having a separate programme playing music & listener requests all through Sat/Sun afternoons for the weeks and possibly months ahead while live sports and many other events have had to cease during the Covid-19 global pandemic.

We already had a number of weekends of "Saturday Sounds" & "Sunday Sounds" with various presenters while Saturday Sport & Sunday Sport was taken off air. RTÉ Gold could have been used to fill the gap over last few weekends although; today was the first time they chose to simulcast RTÉ Gold on RTÉ Radio 1 during the afternoon and they were inundated with requests from home & abroad so much so that they stopped reading out their Text number.

RTÉ still has the same funding crisis which could now become a lot worse as the economy shrinks with so many businesses out of action or curtailed. The whole uncertainty surrounding the length of time that things will remain shut makes it all the more fascinating.

BBC and ITV will also have to fill a number of gaps as filming on soap/drama serials like EastEnders, Casualty, Holby City, Doctors, Coronation Street, Emmerdale is either curtailed or ceased. On RTÉ tv Fair City and Winning Streak have also been effected while The Late Late Show has Miriam O'Callaghan as a stand-in presenter last night and no studio audience.

RTÉ to launch "Operation Covid Nation" in April fronted by Kathryn Thomas and they want to hear from households across the country. The team from "Operation Transformation" have a plan to help people stay healthy, in mind and body, as people are having to live apart from family and friends and the normal routine of everyday life.

I heard some reports that RTÉ Gold along with it's other Digital Only stations were originally set to close down during the month of April but this may now change in the case of RTÉ Gold although this has not been officially confirmed by RTÉ.

Is the high cost of RTE digtal radio the actual DAB platform?
    I doubt many people listen on DAB radios anyway at home or in new/UK imported cars.

Surely RTE should just take the 6 or so digital stations off DAB only (BAI already seeking interested parties for this licence?) and keep all of the stations on Saorview, Virgin, RTE and other streaming Apps, RTE Radio player...would not cost much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Does anyone know how much it is costing RTE to keep Gold running. What is the biggest outlay? Is it the presenters and backroom staff? The DAB network? Today FM has online radio stations that play 80s, 90s and alternative music playlists. I assume they don't cost much to run or they wouldn't be there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Is the high cost of RTE digtal radio the actual DAB platform?
    I doubt many people listen on DAB radios anyway at home or in new/UK imported cars.

Surely RTE should just take the 6 or so digital stations off DAB only (BAI already seeking interested parties for this licence?) and keep all of the stations on Saorview, Virgin, RTE and other streaming Apps, RTE Radio player...would not cost much?

dab is the only actual transmission cost i would expect as saorview exists anyway and will continue to do so, and online would cost butttons, a pc in a rack room and whatever music licensing, they already have the hosting as they host all station streams on 2 servers anyway.
    any paid presenters would likely be redeployed within the organisation, pulse's presenters are non-paid i believe.
    radio 1 extra might be a cost if any unique programming is procured for it, i presume rtejr radio is just a relay of the audio from the television station.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I think they had more live presented shows on RTÉ Gold until late 2019 then it was scaled back to just Will Leahy on breakfast and Rick O'Shea in recent months.

Now all of that is about change again as RTÉ Gold is to expand from TWO to FOUR live shows as from Monday 30th March as follows:

07:00am - 10:00am Gold Breakfast with Will Leahy

10.00am - 1:00pm Rick O'Shea

1:00pm - 4:00pm Afternoon Gold with Keith Walsh

4:00pm - 7:00pm More Music Drive with Michael Cahill

RTÉ really needs to bite the bullet and sort out which of it's Radio/TV stations it considers essential or core to it's existence and concentrate on them instead of continuing to spread itself too thinly. RTÉ Gold deserves much better support if it is a station that has to keep Radio 1 going at inconvenient times. They had a competition prize worth just €50 to give away yesterday which was put up by both RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ Gold and I'm not sure if a sponsor was also involved! Less channels with quality output has to be the way to go especially if the expected recession does hit in the months ahead following the Coronavirus national and global pandemic. Government and the taxpayer will not be in the financial position to absorb an increase in the TV Licence Fee so; very worrying times ahead for RTÉ and many others.

I gather RTÉ Gold will continue to be simulcast on RTÉ Radio 1 from 2:00pm - 6:00pm every Saturday with Will Leahy and every Sunday afternoon with Rick O'Shea for the foreseeable future during the current emergency.

• Advertisement

We're in the middle of a pandemic so any talk of RTE's restructuring is gone out the window. Will keeping Gold on the air for a while longer really make much difference? Arguably it is providing a public service by giving people something else to listen to apart from Covid 19 misery on Radio 1. I don't have an issue with the station being used on Radio 1 either. Is it not a better use of resources than to bring in another presenter to do a different show on Saturdays? It's simply benefiting from being in the right place at the right time and it's nice to have for now. I've no doubt that Gold ill still be axed when all this is over. RTE's future hinges on a lot more than whether it keeps Gold on air though. Its budget is probably a fraction of 2FM's, for example.

I think they had more live presented shows on RTÉ Gold until late 2019 then it was scaled back to just Will Leahy on breakfast and Rick O'Shea in recent months.

Yes there were some live and recorded shows on RTE Gold for 2 or 3 years until end of 2019..Lorcan Murray, Micky Mac, Eric Moore, Al Dunne, Nails Mahoney, Marian Farrell, John Daly etc.

Hard to believe RTE Gold has been on the air since May 2007..started off by John Clarke if I'm not mistaken and was only a limited 24 hour music service with very common oldies playlisted.
    As of now, RTE Gold has lasted longer than Atlantic 252!!

Tork wrote: »
    We're in the middle of a pandemic so any talk of RTE's restructuring is gone out the window. Will keeping Gold on the air for a while longer really make much difference? Arguably it is providing a public service by giving people something else to listen to apart from Covid 19 misery on Radio 1. I don't have an issue with the station being used on Radio 1 either. Is it not a better use of resources than to bring in another presenter to do a different show on Saturdays? It's simply benefiting from being in the right place at the right time and it's nice to have for now. I've no doubt that Gold ill still be axed when all this is over. RTE's future hinges on a lot more than whether it keeps Gold on air though. Its budget is probably a fraction of 2FM's, for example.

I've no issue with RTÉ Gold being more widely available especially during the current emergency.

Just not sure RTÉ senior management has the luxury of mothballing it's entire restructuring plan even in the current climate as the sh1t will still hit the fan if it makes poor choices in the weeks/months ahead after all this is over unless; it is strictly used for essential public service broadcasting such as additional news/current affairs coverage to alert the public on the latest developments as they arise.

Loss of commercial advertising, less prospect of a TV Licence Fee increase do not bode well for RTÉ as the country will have to make very hard unpopular choices in the time ahead. One of the main political parties, Fianna Fáil who are in negotiations with the outgoing Fine Gael led administration have made it known that the country needs a government with a strong majority as they have said the next government formed will need to make some tough decisions and it cannot do this if it is looking over it's shoulder all the time. Sinn Féin has gone very quiet so perhaps they no longer feel the momentum is with them.

As for RTÉ Gold, I am now of the view that it will be given a reprieve even when the current Covid-19 emergency is over. I believe that the younger audience demographic that tunes into 2FM would be well able to access it via digital, online, smartphone methods if this cohort supports such a move whereas; RTÉ Gold would have a much older audience (closer to RTÉ Radio 1) and would probably gain a lot more listeners if it was made available full time on FM. None of the digital-only stations had much (if any) of a marketing budget as they cannot generate commercial advertising revenue.

dab is the only actual transmission cost i would expect as saorview exists anyway and will continue to do so, and online would cost butttons, a pc in a rack room and whatever music licensing, they already have the hosting as they host all station streams on 2 servers anyway.
    any paid presenters would likely be redeployed within the organisation, pulse's presenters are non-paid i believe.
    radio 1 extra might be a cost if any unique programming is procured for it, i presume rtejr radio is just a relay of the audio from the television station.

I went and checked the audio feed on "RTÉ junior radio" this morning versus the output on the RTÉjr tv channel at the same time and they had completely different programmes. I don't think RTÉjr tv channel and the RTÉ junior radio channel have any commercial advertising as a source of revenue.

I'm sure RTÉ 2 TV would often show material shown on RTÉjr TV channel alright although; it may not always be broadcast at the exact same time.

I wonder if RTÉ will be making any formal announcements in relation to the extension of RTÉ Gold in the coming days or over Easter?

It will also be interesting to see if if all of the other RTÉ Digital-Only Radio stations will close over Easter or continue indefinitely during the Covid-19 emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Gold is the one worth saving, maybe Radio 1 Extra. They could keep these going online, on Saorview and Virgin Media.

I went and checked the audio feed on "RTÉ junior radio" this morning versus the output on the RTÉjr tv channel at the same time and they had completely different programmes. I don't think RTÉjr tv channel and the RTÉ junior radio channel have any commercial advertising as a source of revenue.

I'm sure RTÉ 2 TV would often show material shown on RTÉjr TV channel alright although; it may not always be broadcast at the exact same time.

thanks for that.
    I wonder if RTÉ will be making any formal announcements in relation to the extension of RTÉ Gold in the coming days or over Easter?

It will also be interesting to see if if all of the other RTÉ Digital-Only Radio stations will close over Easter or continue indefinitely during the Covid-19 emergency?

hard to know what will happen.
    it will certainly be interesting to see what they do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id love the DAB offering to keep going, were getting to the point where there are enough cars with DAB coming on stream to get listeners in the all important drive time sector,

but if it must be FM , I would love to see pulse and gold remain, ad free , both excellent listening and the only RTE productions I've ever given a slight toss about.

RTE pulse is the progressive home of new Irish hip hop which is never a position I ever thought our national broadcaster would occupy.

I wonder how effective is RTÉ 2XM ?
    Was the station originally intended as an extension of 2FM in some way?

And what about "RTÉ chill" from 9:00pm until around 07:00am
    (RTÉ chill shares the same LCN slot number with RTÉ junior radio when the younger listeners have gone to bed)

"RTÉ Radio 1 Extra" seems to be a mix of RTÉ Radio 1 output (from both FM and LW 252) along with other international public service broadcasters like BBC World Service etc;

If they manage to get "RTÉ Gold" on FM on a full-time basis with the ability of running advertising it would perform a lot better in the audience ratings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gold would be fantastic on FM. Especially given that the future of Classic Hits/4FM is always up in the air given their inability to get off the ground.

It would be far better on FM than the rudderless mess that is 2FM. I'm slap bang in the middle of 2FM's target market, I often listen to similar stations (Spin/Beat/RedFM/BBC R1/Capital) but rarely listen to 2FM. There was a fantastic opportunity to reinvent 2FM in 2014 to perfectly fit its target market but that failed. Game On has no place on 2FM. Dave Fanning has no place on 2FM. Colm Hayes had no place on 2FM. The morning show with Jennifer is very questionable on 2FM. BBC Radio 1 has some excellent mainstream and niche dance music shows and really made the most of the resurgance of dance and house music over the last few years but 2FM failed here. BBC Radio 1 on Fridays at 6pm has Scott Mills playing dance anthems leading into Annie Mac. 2FM has a sports show. Big contrast right there.

These shows have their merits but on a market driven youth oriented radio station they have no place. 2FM has no real identity and at this stage it never really will.

A BBC Radio 2 type station with Will Leahy and other similar radio personalities playing music aimed at the older generation, that actually listen to radio en masse still would be a success imo. A sort of a blend between Heart and BBC Radio 2 if you will.

RTE Gold is probably seen as a 'back up' station now during the Corona Virus, within RTE.
    I think over the coming months, we'll see a lot of Radio and TV presenters given evening and weekend shows on Gold to give them something to do!!!....like what is happening with Des Cahill and John Kenny over on Radio 1.

The Radio 1 schedule is crowded now, with all types of programmes, with more music shows now more than ever on the schedule. So room there for idle presenters.

Radio 1 Extra has very little original programmes made for the station, unless they are syndicated or produced externally from news agencies or independent producers such as Dusty Rhodes' Tech programme etc.

RTE are very foolish to let their digital stations go. Not many people listen through actual DAB.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Gold would be fantastic on FM. Especially given that the future of Classic Hits/4FM is always up in the air given their inability to get off the ground.

It would be far better on FM than the rudderless mess that is 2FM. I'm slap bang in the middle of 2FM's target market, I often listen to similar stations (Spin/Beat/RedFM/BBC R1/Capital) but rarely listen to 2FM. There was a fantastic opportunity to reinvent 2FM in 2014 to perfectly fit its target market but that failed. Game On has no place on 2FM. Dave Fanning has no place on 2FM. Colm Hayes had no place on 2FM. The morning show with Jennifer is very questionable on 2FM. BBC Radio 1 has some excellent mainstream and niche dance music shows and really made the most of the resurgance of dance and house music over the last few years but 2FM failed here. BBC Radio 1 on Fridays at 6pm has Scott Mills playing dance anthems leading into Annie Mac. 2FM has a sports show. Big contrast right there.

These shows have their merits but on a market driven youth oriented radio station they have no place. 2FM has no real identity and at this stage it never really will.

A BBC Radio 2 type station with Will Leahy and other similar radio personalities playing music aimed at the older generation, that actually listen to radio en masse still would be a success imo. A sort of a blend between Heart and BBC Radio 2 if you will.

Yeah I've noticed that Classic Hits (formerly 4FM) has had it's financial problems but they are definitely not alone in the radio sector. Not sure if Classic Hits is still in a dire situation following it's last re-brand although; I gather things were still tight.

Incidentally, Colm Hayes is gone quite a while from 2FM as I seem to recall he has been with Radio NOVA in recent years and he currently presents The Colm & Lucy Breakfast Show with Lucy Kennedy. Below is an article from The Irish Times on Colm Hayes departure from 2FM in 2016. Hayes had previously worked at 2FM during the 1980's but moved on in 1989 when Ireland's legal commercial independent radio sector first began although; he returned to 2FM in 2006 to host the Colm and JimJim Breakfast Show, alongside Jim Nugent, before moving to a mid-morning slot in 2010.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/colm-hayes-leaves-2fm-after-a-decade-on-air-1.2734894

I'm outside 2FM's target demographic for a good few years and nowadays I find I rarely bother to tune in to Today fm either as I feel it has embraced the younger demographic a bit more in the way it pitches it's marketing - The Last Word has almost dumbed down into bullet points for those who have a shorter attention span. And yes, I was a Friday Night 80's fan and was sorry to see Jim O'Neill depart as he was almost like Today fm's version of 2FM's late great Larry Gogan in a sense.

Yes, Dave Fanning just seems to be lost - he should have been given a movie review programme and a rock series. In fact, after Gerry Ryan's sudden passing in April 2010, I think Fanning could have carried the slot as he had filled in for Gerry on a regular basis. The numbers were always gonna go down as radio was changing for 2FM anyway.

Most traditional media has had a tough time during the last recession and many never fully recovered due to the explosion in social media outlets and the migration of commercial advertising finding new spaces. Newspapers/magazine publications also badly affected with falling hard copy sales along with advertising etc; and then TV/Radio in general is trying to compete with all the streaming services with attractive content now as well. We will probably enter another recession due to the necessary extended shutdown and some businesses will never reopen while others may struggle for a while.

RTÉ Gold would probably thrive and grow more listeners on FM as opposed to 2FM in my view. If it had a bit more structure, was able to generate a revenue stream in terms of advertising/paid product placements and had a marketing budget to promote itself to it's core audience. FM is very versatile and most radio equipment includes the FM band, no need for internet connection if you are unlucky enough in some parts and no need to have DAB on car radio as it has only worked in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and parts of the north-east. Once RTÉ does not do something completely stupid and extend it by putting RTÉ Gold on LW 252kHZ as this would be nuts for a music station but nothing would surprise me at all. A BBC Radio 2 style station at RTÉ has merit although; they will be keen to avoid the mistakes made by the original 4FM schedule in 2009 which had to be aborted as it cost too much to run. The original 4FM was sometimes compared to BBC Radio 2.

Sources:

http://radiowaves.fm/ire/database/stations-on-air/classic-hits-4fm-stations-on-air/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/veterans-back-on-the-airwaves-as-4fm-launches-85562.html

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/radio-boss-still-upbeat-about-launch-of-4fm-26511362.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd welcome RTE Gold on FM seeing as my part of the country isn't deemed worthy of Classic Hits 4FM.

Unfortunately the licence originally granted for the former 4FM now known as: "Classic Hits" is sometimes described as Ireland's only "multi-city radio station" whatever that means!
    The station is said to extend across Greater Dublin: which not only takes into Dublin city & county (and it can also reach Meath, Kildare, and Wicklow) in addition to County Cork, County Limerick, County Clare and Galway. Apparently the station was originally aimed at Ireland's four main commuter belts of: Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway. I gather the signal reaches County Clare and parts of County Kerry and County Mayo but this has probably more to do with the topography of the areas in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Unfortunately the licence originally granted for the former 4FM now known as: "Classic Hits" is sometimes described as Ireland's only "multi-city radio station" whatever that means!
    The station is said to extend across Greater Dublin: which not only takes into Dublin city & county (and it can also reach Meath, Kildare, and Wicklow) in addition to County Cork, County Limerick, County Clare and Galway. Apparently the station was originally aimed at Ireland's four main commuter belts of: Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway. I gather the signal reaches County Clare and parts of County Kerry and County Mayo but this has probably more to do with the topography of the areas in question.

When 4FM was launched, County Clare was officially included in the area to be covered because of its location. So it was the four cities of Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway, along with Co. Clare.

I think RTE Gold could at least share space with existing RTE stations, whether that be Radio 1 overnight, or Raidio na Gaeltacht at certain times. Of course, if a decision is made to pull the plug on 2FM or partially automate 2FM, then there is another place for RTE Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Put RnaG on 252 and give Gold the 3rd FM slot - or expand the DAB network to all TX sites - would actually cost very little to do this. On this thread there seems to sonme strange notion that it is very expensive to run DAB - its not. A 400w DAB transmitter (probably more power than what they are using right now) costs just shy of €3000 - and to run it, the Multiplex stream requires only about 1.4Mb/s of bandwidth. It would even work to feed it over the Internet, as was demonstated by FreeDAB recently !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Id love the DAB offering to keep going, were getting to the point where there are enough cars with DAB coming on stream to get listeners in the all important drive time sector,

but if it must be FM , I would love to see pulse and gold remain, ad free , both excellent listening and the only RTE productions I've ever given a slight toss about.

RTE pulse is the progressive home of new Irish hip hop which is never a position I ever thought our national broadcaster would occupy.

On their streaming platform right now, RTE Gold has 126 times more listeners compared to RTE Pulse. Pulse is very unlikely to be saved. Even it costs next to nothing to run, it has only a negligible amount of listeners - so closure is not likely to create a wave of complaints. RTE have to be seen to close some things. Not everything can be saved.

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Put RnaG on 252 and give Gold the 3rd FM slot - or expand the DAB network to all TX sites - would actually cost very little to do this. On this thread there seems to sonme strange notion that it is very expensive to run DAB - its not. A 400w DAB transmitter (probably more power than what they are using right now) costs just shy of €3000 - and to run it, the Multiplex stream requires only about 1.4Mb/s of bandwidth. It would even work to feed it over the Internet, as was demonstated by FreeDAB recently !

i remember reading somewhere that apparently a dab network is actually much cheaper to run then an fm network, even if just carrying 1 station, especially if ran as dab+.

JDxtra wrote: »
    On their streaming platform right now, RTE Gold has 126 times more listeners compared to RTE Pulse. Pulse is very unlikely to be saved. Even it costs next to nothing to run, it has only a negligible amount of listeners - so closure is not likely to create a wave of complaints. RTE have to be seen to close some things. Not everything can be saved.

Where are you seeing these stats?

Tork wrote: »
    Where are you seeing these stats?

from the status pages of their streaming servers.

• Advertisement

Link?

Advertisement