Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is RTE Gold about to go FM?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

When 4FM was launched, County Clare was officially included in the area to be covered because of its location. So it was the four cities of Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway, along with Co. Clare.

I think RTE Gold could at least share space with existing RTE stations, whether that be Radio 1 overnight, or Raidio na Gaeltacht at certain times. Of course, if a decision is made to pull the plug on 2FM or partially automate 2FM, then there is another place for RTE Gold.

I gather it became more of a consequence that Co. Clare was referenced as the licence had initially been designated as a "multi-city licence" and Clare does not have any city within it's county boundary. Perhaps it is due to a signal over-spill from both Limerick and Galway and they are stating that the channel can be received there if the signal is coming in strong.

Remember, RTÉ Gold has already been simulcast in the programme strand: RTÉ Gold on Radio 1 overnight for several hours long before the additional weekend simulcasts on Saturday/Sunday afternoons of late while RTÉ Sport radio programming is taken off the air due to the Coronavirus pandemic and lack of live sports events.

One contributor made a very interesting suggestion about putting R na G onto LW 252 kHZ and RTÉ Gold taking the FM frequencies currently used by R na G. Alternatively, other possible solutions could include: RTÉ RnaG or RTÉ Lyric fm or RTÉ 2FM closing earlier and GOLD using FM bandwidth? Does sports programme "Game On" need to be on RTÉ 2fm or could it be broadcast on LW 252? What time does live programmes on RTÉ 2fm give way to recorded output each day? RTÉ 2fm News stops early evenings nowadays too if I'm not mistaken as no longer 24/7, right? A lot of the evening programmes broadcast are no longer live either AFAIK but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lord Nelson

I gather it became more of a consequence that Co. Clare was referenced as the licence had initially been designated as a "multi-city licence" and Clare does not have any city within it's county boundary. Perhaps it is due to a signal over-spill from both Limerick and Galway and they are stating that the channel can be received there if the signal is coming in strong.

Remember, RTÉ Gold has already been simulcast in the programme strand: RTÉ Gold on Radio 1 overnight for several hours long before the additional weekend simulcasts on Saturday/Sunday afternoons of late while RTÉ Sport radio programming is taken off the air due to the Coronavirus pandemic and lack of live sports events.

One contributor made a very interesting suggestion about putting R na G onto LW 252 kHZ and RTÉ Gold taking the FM frequencies currently used by R na G. Alternatively, other possible solutions could include: RTÉ RnaG or RTÉ Lyric fm or RTÉ 2FM closing earlier and GOLD using FM bandwidth? Does sports programme "Game On" need to be on RTÉ 2fm or could it be broadcast on LW 252? What time does live programmes on RTÉ 2fm give way to recorded output each day? RTÉ 2fm News stops early evenings nowadays too if I'm not mistaken as no longer 24/7, right? A lot of the evening programmes broadcast are no longer live either AFAIK but I'm open to correction.

Some interesting points there. Unfortunately however the Irish language nuts would scream blue murder at the perceived loss of parity by migrating to LW. I can never fathom why the powers that be were so anxious to kill off AM especially when they continually moan about the lack of FM frequencies? Proper planning and sensible power allocations from day one might have been helpful. No reason why Newstalk and small scale community stations couldn't have utilised AM however it's all academic at this stage. As for DAB, if we're relying on the BAI.......

Some interesting points there. Unfortunately however the Irish language nuts would scream blue murder at the perceived loss of parity by migrating to LW. I can never fathom why the powers that be were so anxious to kill off AM especially when they continually moan about the lack of FM frequencies? Proper planning and sensible power allocations from day one might have been helpful. No reason why Newstalk and small scale community stations couldn't have utilised AM however it's all academic at this stage. As for DAB, if we're relying on the BAI.......

Very true - NewsTalk and some of the community speech orientated stations could have gone on AM alright. I never understood how Tom Dunne's music programme fitted even though Tom is an excellent broadcaster who had the weekday morning slot prior to the arrival of Pat Kenny on NewsTalk a few years ago.

RTÉ Radio 1 (and the former "RTÉ Cork Local Radio" which was broadcast from the Cork area) used 567kHZ and/or 729kHZ Medium Wave in addition to FM

RTÉ Radio 2FM used 1278kHZ Medium Wave in addition to FM

Century Radio used 1143kHZ AM/Medium Wave as only had FM reception available for listeners in the cities of Dublin, Cork & Limerick only. Century was broadcast from September 1989 until November 1991 and was Ireland's first national commercial independent radio station - the licence was reactivated as "Radio Ireland" around March 1997 and this was relaunched as "Today fm" by 1998 to date!

RTÉ Radio 1 LW252kHZ on Long Wave was established following the closure of RTÉ Radio 1 on Medium Wave after many years. This frequency was previously used to broadcast TeamTalk 252 and Atlantic 252 prior to this.

In the days before RTÉ lyric fm existed, RTÉ used have it's former "FM3" classical music service which used broadcast programmes during periods of the day that Irish language service, RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta (RnaG) was off air.

Other local pirate stations across Ireland had used AM/FM prior to December 1988.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Moving RnaG to longwave is a non runner, however, a reduction in coverage to Gaeltacht areas only with the rest online might be an option.

In 2018, the BBC decided to do a rejigging in Wales, by adding BBC Radio Wales to all relays in Wales which previously did not relay Radio Wales, on the frequencies occupied by BBC Radio 3. Radio 3 has even been removed from the high power Llangollen TX which covers a large swathe of Cheshire & Merseyside. Some clever frequency planning could reduce coverage of RnaG by shifting it to a new national set of frequencies, with RnaG taking up a new set of frequencies in between the national networks, with lower power in some places.

It should also be pointed out that there are no frequency shortages in any of the Gaeltacht areas where RnaG would have high listenership.

There may be even more frequencies going spare when the coronavirus pandemic runs its course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Very true - NewsTalk and some of the community speech orientated stations could have gone on AM alright. I never understood how Tom Dunne's music programme fitted even though Tom is an excellent broadcaster who had the weekday morning slot prior to the arrival of Pat Kenny on NewsTalk a few years ago.

RTÉ Radio 1 (and the former "RTÉ Cork Local Radio" which was broadcast from the Cork area) used 567kHZ and/or 729kHZ Medium Wave in addition to FM

RTÉ Radio 2FM used 1278kHZ Medium Wave in addition to FM

Century Radio used 1143kHZ AM/Medium Wave as only had FM reception available for listeners in the cities of Dublin, Cork & Limerick only. Century was broadcast from September 1989 until November 1991 and was Ireland's first national commercial independent radio station - the licence was reactivated as "Radio Ireland" around March 1997 and this was relaunched as "Today fm" by 1998 to date!

RTÉ Radio 1 LW252kHZ on Long Wave was established following the closure of RTÉ Radio 1 on Medium Wave after many years. This frequency was previously used to broadcast TeamTalk 252 and Atlantic 252 prior to this.

In the days before RTÉ lyric fm existed, RTÉ used have it's former "FM3" classical music service which used broadcast programmes during periods of the day that Irish language service, RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta (RnaG) was off air.

Other local pirate stations across Ireland had used AM/FM prior to December 1988.

They are still some pirates on FM and a very small number on AM. It's not in the past! Have a look at the Bandscan thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

RTE Gold may be saved as a result of Covid-19. It possibly may be in some limited capacity on FM, besides the overnight relays that have already been happening. How bizarre if that's what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

They use Maghera on 104.6 so covering Clare was probably intended from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

This is an interesting tweet from Rick O'Shea

https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/1240980798737649664?s=20

I have to say, I've definitely found myself asking Alexa to play RTE Gold a good bit as I've been working from home, just to get away from the constant commentary on the virus.

The Countdown of the 100 Best Irish Songs was enjoyable on Patrick's Day.

The top 100 was a repeat

You can’t choose to go on fm, not even rte - they’d have to apply and certainly wouldn’t get one - most users can access on DAB OR APPS .

To me they’re spending way too much time mentioning coved, something we’re trying to get away from

Closure deferred due to Covid - that was the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Lovenova wrote: »
    The top 100 was a repeat

The chart counted down was ALMOST the same as last year but the show was live (unless they had the foresight to have one of the presenters doing the show from his own home as he was self isolating). And the chart counted down this year actually had 2 positions (Nos 31 and 32) in the reverse order to the 2019 countdown

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/gold/11169916 (2020)

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/gold/11012950 (2019)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Will Leahy had announced that Aidan Leonard was going to be part of the St Patricks day Top 100.
    When it came to the day, he was not part of it.
    From what I heard it was at least Will Leahy and Stephen Daly doing the countdown.
    So where is Aidan Leonard? Is he still off sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭RINO87

If RnaG goes to LW then an taobh tuathail would need to find a new home. Couldn't be listening to that on an under powered LW signal fading in and out, and more than likely being blasted out of it from Algeria at that time of the night anyway!

They are still some pirates on FM and a very small number on AM. It's not in the past! Have a look at the Bandscan thread.

Oh of course many pirate radio stations eventually made their way back on air although; it was quite a while. Many of the older pirate stations were warned that if they wanted to obtain a licence to broadcast under the new legal independent commercial regime they would need to be off the air by end of December 1988 which is exactly what happened. It was a quite some time before I heard any pirate radio stations back on air in Cork although; I suspect pirate radio stations may have returned to the airwaves in Dublin at a much earlier stage. Some years later we had numerous pirate stations coming and going yet again - some rubbish, some niche, some even interesting.

Lovenova wrote: »
    The top 100 was a repeat

You can’t choose to go on fm, not even rte - they’d have to apply and certainly wouldn’t get one - most users can access on DAB OR APPS .

To me they’re spending way too much time mentioning coved, something we’re trying to get away from

Closure deferred due to Covid - that was the announcement

I would imagine RTÉ would have to submit proposals and would then require approval in advance of any such changes.

Not all listeners of RTÉ Gold have access to DAB as it's not available in many parts of Ireland.

RTÉ digital stations on DAB never extended beyond the trial geographical areas.

The majority of Irish listeners tune-in mainly on FM, and in some parts of the country DAB radio isn’t available at all.

There is one permanent DAB multiplex operated by RTÉ, Ireland’s public broadcaster that uses five transmitters, which are located in Three Rock (Dublin), Clermont Carn, Kippure, Spur Hill (Cork) and Woodcock Hill (Limerick).

According to RTÉ, DAB radio is available to 54% of the population and coverage includes Cork, Limerick and Greater Dublin.

Others may not have reliable broadband internet which would render access to APPs impossible for such users.

RTÉ Gold has most potential at attracting older audiences and that is why FM makes a lot of sense as they can grow the audience.

As for the coverage on Coronavirus/Covid-19 can be exhausting alright however; as RTÉ is the state's public service broadcaster, it has a duty to inform and educate all citizens through it's various platforms across the Republic of Ireland on what is a constantly evolving situation in relation to a matter of very serious importance.

Since Irish independence there has never been a nationwide shutdown over a virus on this scale for what is likely to be a prolonged period. We have not lived through a national & global health pandemic so; everybody is having to adapt to massive changes in their lives. I think people in Ireland and across the rest of the world will remember this time for many years afterwards.

RINO87 wrote: »
    If RnaG goes to LW then an taobh tuathail would need to find a new home. Couldn't be listening to that on an under powered LW signal fading in and out, and more than likely being blasted out of it from Algeria at that time of the night anyway!

Perhaps "An Taobh Tuathail" should migrate over from RTÉ Radió na Gaeltachta (RnaG) to either RTÉ Radio 1 on FM or RTÉ lyric fm. There has always been some Irish language /culture programmes on RTÉ Radio 1 so this should easily solve that issue.

Yes, the interference from an Algerian station to RTÉ Radio 1 on LW 252kHZ must be frustrating for those who rely on that signal, particularly those senior citizens living outside the Republic of Ireland. This should be addressed.

Will Leahy had announced that Aidan Leonard was going to be part of the St Patricks day Top 100.
    When it came to the day, he was not part of it.
    From what I heard it was at least Will Leahy and Stephen Daly doing the countdown.
    So where is Aidan Leonard? Is he still off sick?

Last show I recall viewing publicity for Aidan Leonard relates to "Ireland's Biggest Jukebox" on RTÉ Gold!

I think he is best remembered for "The Cruise to Snooze" late at night on 2FM back in the day so; it was probably 10pm - 12midnight time slot?

Ian Dempsey has brief interview with Aidan Leonard @14:45 on the below YouTube clip during RTÉ 2FM's 15th Anniversary in 1994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPl0IMd774

Visual images:
    https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2345/007.html
    https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2073/049.html

Radiowaves - audio clip featuring various DJ's including: Aidan Leonard
    http://radiowaves.fm/ire/blog/tag/aidan-leonard/

Having listened to Rick O'Shea on Saturday afternoon he mentioned that RTÉ Gold on RTÉ Radio 1 will have Will Leahy in the chair between 4:00pm-6:00pm this Sunday which is much shorter than the other weekend afternoon slots that music was played.

Just looked at the RTÉ Radio 1 schedule on the RTÉ website and they seem to have "Sunday Sport" slotted in from 2:00pm-4:00pm.

I wonder what sport is to be covered or if the time will be devoted towards a sports discussion or repeat material?

Speaking of sports broadcasters, I heard a snippet of "Des's Island Discs" with Des Cahill the other evening after Drivetime and "The Classic Rock Hour with John Kenny" in place of "The Late Debate" on Tues/Wed/Thurs nights @ 10:00pm. Not sure why "The Late Debate" was put in cold storage as there is plenty of discussion that requires public scrutiny on the national airwaves during the national Coronavirus emergency.

RTÉ Radio 1 seem to have restored "Sunday Sport" from 2-4pm on Sunday afternoons despite no live sport!
    Jacqui Hurley & Des Cahill discuss stories sports related and interview different figures from the world of sport on the current Coronavirus pandemic and get their views on how various sports might eventually emerge following the unprecedented lock-down and prolonged cancellations. I gather they will be back again next Sunday.

Gold on Radio 1 returned at 4:00pm will Will Leahy today playing the music from yesteryear until 6:00pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I can't see Gold closing this month. However, I do think that it will close this year. RTE proposed a closure date of April 2020 with some contributors to this forum stating Easter Monday.
    If you think about it the transition roles allocated to Will Leahy and Co would already have been negotiated and agreed by March at the latest. So Gold is just getting a stay of execution unless they make an official announcement soon.

Don't want to see it go but just being realistic.

alzer100 wrote: »
    I can't see Gold closing this month. However, I do think that it will close this year. RTE proposed a closure date of April 2020 with some contributors to this forum stating Easter Monday.
    If you think about it the transition roles allocated to Will Leahy and Co would already have been negotiated and agreed by March at the latest. So Gold is just getting a stay of execution unless they make an official announcement soon.

Don't want to see it go but just being realistic.

I have no insider information on the matter although; RTÉ management down through the years have often carried out kite flying exercises to spur the government of the day to honour their requests for further funding like TV Licence Fee increase or less restrictions imposed on RTÉ's ability to generate additional commercial advertising across it's various channels.

In the past there were suggestions that included:
    RTÉ 2 tv could be sold off (not happened yet)
    Radio 2fm would be privatised, (not happened)
    RTÉ Radio Cork would be axed (this one did actually happen),
    RTÉ Radio 1 & 2FM would close it's Medium Wave services (both happened) RTÉ Radio 1 opened another service on LW252kHZ primarily aimed at the Irish diaspora audience in parts of UK in place of it's closed Medium Wave service! The Radio 1 Longwave 252 service had been due to shut down in October, 2014! It's still broadcasting on LW 252kHZ.
    RTÉ lyric fm's future is uncertain and will probably downsize and leave it's current Limerick base.
    RTÉ not having to fund the orchestras/other chamber music groups etc;
    RTÉ's Aertel digital teletext service in doubt
    RTÉ Guide magazine to be off-loaded/sold - now regarded as unlikely!
    Wage cuts, early redundancy schemes, land sell off etc;

Putting RTÉ Gold on RTÉ Radio 1 during weekend afternoons is clearly a temporary measure but it is also giving the station critical exposure on a wider scale which may result in better audiences on it's current digital channel access points like DAB (where available in Greater Dublin, Cork & Limerick), Saorview, Online etc; Remember, if they close RTÉ Gold down altogether later in the year, it will have to replace the "Gold on Radio 1" programme strand on RTÉ Radio 1 between 02:00am-05:30am which ran long before the current Coronavirus crisis.

• Advertisement

Reading Will Leahy's twitter response last Sunday, he said he was a "a bit grumpy" before coming on air at 4pm. I don't want to read to much into what the man tweets or why he is a bit moody at a particular time as I am in no position to speak for him and I am definitely NOT speaking for him but I thought he had a 4 HR slot simulcast with RTE Radio 1 the previous week. If it has been reduced to 2HRS it seems to me that RTE management are just milking Gold for its music output specifically for RTE Radio 1 during "the situation".
    At present RTE management cannot get any revenue from Gold, so the station is not much use to them other than to "fill in" vacant program slots when needed on RTE Radio 1.
    Which is exactly what they will do if they close it. Remember Gold is mostly automated and it would be very simple to carry on the Gold automated service whenever RTE Radio 1 requires it, as in 2-5:30 am irrespective whether they decide to close the station or not.
    I think it's a bit insulting to Will Leahy and Rick O'Shea as I get the impression that they are really trying to save Gold by plugging the station whenever possible and especially when they are simulcasting on RTE Radio 1.
    If Will Leahy was "a bit grumpy" before coming on air last Sunday and without reading too much into or second guessing, I have a funny feeling why.
    RTE management have to take some responsibility here too as it's unfair to offer the potential of Gold as a break from the norm and then take it away at some point in the future.
    They need to be honest and tell the many listeners of RTE Gold what their plans are.

Gold going to FM is highly unlikely.
    They limited FM spectrum allocation and RnaG and Lyric FM cannot be touched.
    That's not me saying that, it's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its not complicated, Gold is replacing the extensive weekend sports slots.

When sports are back, Gold returns to the margins and with an uncertain future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

alzer100 wrote: »
    Reading Will Leahy's twitter response last Sunday, he said he was a "a bit grumpy" before coming on air at 4pm. I don't want to read to much into what the man tweets or why he is a bit moody at a particular time as I am in no position to speak for him and I am definitely NOT speaking for him but I thought he had a 4 HR slot simulcast with RTE Radio 1 the previous week. If it has been reduced to 2HRS it seems to me that RTE management are just milking Gold for its music output specifically for RTE Radio 1 during "the situation".
    At present RTE management cannot get any revenue from Gold, so the station is not much use to them other than to "fill in" vacant program slots when needed on RTE Radio 1.
    Which is exactly what they will do if they close it. Remember Gold is mostly automated and it would be very simple to carry on the Gold automated service whenever RTE Radio 1 requires it, as in 2-5:30 am irrespective whether they decide to close the station or not.
    I think it's a bit insulting to Will Leahy and Rick O'Shea as I get the impression that they are really trying to save Gold by plugging the station whenever possible and especially when they are simulcasting on RTE Radio 1.
    If Will Leahy was "a bit grumpy" before coming on air last Sunday and without reading too much into or second guessing, I have a funny feeling why.
    RTE management have to take some responsibility here too as it's unfair to offer the potential of Gold as a break from the norm and then take it away at some point in the future.
    They need to be honest and tell the many listeners of RTE Gold what their plans are.

Gold going to FM is highly unlikely.
    They limited FM spectrum allocation and RnaG and Lyric FM cannot be touched.
    That's not me saying that, it's just the way it is.

He might have been grumpy because they reinstated 2 hours of Sunday sport with only a days notice.

I wonder will some of the weekend morning/afternoon programmes return to RTE Gold during this period?

If RTÉ management was determined to bring RTÉ Gold to a wider audience it would probably have a higher volume of listeners more inclined to access the Gold service if it was available via FM (along with other digital access points). I gather it would have to seek approval first from the relevant authorities and the only way this might happen is by RTÉ offering other things in return like closing/downsizing other services as the independent radio commercial sector would never accept more RTÉ services generating commercial advertising revenue especially while the organisation is carrying such high levels of debt.

Is there room for RTÉ Gold to share bandwidth at certain times with other RTÉ stations currently operating on FM?

Do I think RTÉ is likely to keep RTÉ Gold long term? - my gut feeling is that the station management is indifferent although; I hope I'm wrong as it seems Gold on Radio 1 was receiving a high volume of listener requests to be played. Why would RTÉ not want to tap into a potential audience that is likely to grow V's 2fm which is probably now at it's peak levels and likely to shrink given the way younger audiences behave nowadays with a multitude of options like: Spotify etc;

RTÉ needs to think outside the box or else someone else will take advantage.

Unfortunately, I think RTE Gold is still winding down to close down.

I cannot see any of the original pre-recorded weekend shows being reintroduced because of this wind down.

What is going on in the world right now is probably going to give Gold an extension but for how long?

There are folks who genuinely listen to 2FM but I really think it should have flipped format to RTE Gold a long time ago, but that would take a radical decision maker which I don't think RTE are in that space yet. Personally I think closing closing a station like Gold is not a radical decision to cost cut, it's giving up and not showing any initiative. But that's RTE.

Radio Nova have shown an interest in taking over RTE's DAB frequencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

I've never understand why boards posters are so eager for RTE Gold to broadcast on FM because if it became a mainstream station in the jnlrs, it would soon just become another clone of Q102. The agencies dictate what radio stations play and Ella Fitzgerald followed by Justin Timberlake followed by The who wouldn't be acceptable to them.

There are a lot of listeners out there who still long for the old RTE 2FM of the late 80s/early 90s, but they dont want to listen to the independent stations such as 4FM or Q102.
    RTE Gold serves well a good chunk of this group...unfortunately to date not on FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Can’t really speak for Q102 as I don’t listen much but Classic Hits don’t play too much from before 1980. So RTE Gold fills that void for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Long_Wave wrote: »
    I've never understand why boards posters are so eager for RTE Gold to broadcast on FM because if it became a mainstream station in the jnlrs, it would soon just become another clone of Q102. The agencies dictate what radio stations play and Ella Fitzgerald followed by Justin Timberlake followed by The who wouldn't be acceptable to them.

rte gold is already mainstream, all be it quite a bit of what it plays isn't played on the commercial stations targeting the older audience.
    however a lot of those tracks were big hits in their time, and it's really no different to say the bbc vs the commercial stations in the uk which will have a core amount of similar tracks and tracks each other won't feature for whatever reason.
    there isn't anything to show that rte gold on fm would end up being a cloan of classic hits, q102 etc, it may do so, but as it is the possibility of it doing so is just speculation with no basis to support it.
    in fact, i would expect that it would have to deviate away from being anything like the commercial stations if rte were allowed to put it on fm.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement