Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupidest thing you've overheard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

valoren wrote: »
    Younger brother (about 21 at the time) to my mother.

He had a credit union loan for a car and was getting looking to get a new loan.

"Mam, you know how I have a loan with the credit union? If I get another loan do I have to pay that one off?"

The whole celtic tiger thing was run on that assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

Aunt of mine was talking to her son in her house , she says you owe me €10 for the phone credit the other day , so he says drs a tenner on the window ledge in my room , so in she goes (and after a few minutes) comes back out and says ders no tenner on the window, only two €5 notes . fair funny ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Triangla wrote: »
    After the Euro changeover I heard a couple discuss how expensive things got.

The guy said he used to spend 50 Pounds on a night out but last night spent 70 Euro.

He was right, £50 was about E63.49.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

toptom wrote: »
    Down at the Rock of Cashel queuing for a choc ice and two Americans ahead of me and overheard one ask the other " why doesn't the castle have a roof on it" found it fair funny

A few years back I went there for a nosy and an American guy in the group asked the guide 'so where is the actual rock' Americans in the group looked at the stunned guide in eagerness for the answer the few Irish there pissed themselves laughing. The guide obviously goes **** it and points at a lump of rock sticking up through the grass and goes 'There'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Does sonny.knowles reaction earlier in this thread qualify?

Edit: boooo never mind. :/

What, to a poorly told story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

After farmers decided to hold a rally to protest being blamed for massive floods one winter: "if there's a flood how will the cars drive on the roads?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Years ago,outside the local disco after a fight. I heard a local ruffian explain to a lad that was complaining to him about his friend getting the ****e kicked out him that "It was a fair fight, he took the two of us on fair and square."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The twin towers was attacked by a Tallaght man instead of the taliban

Also heard people say at the time that A Son of Bin Laden was responsible!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I was in Liverpool a few years ago with some Irish blokes who had never been there before. We went to McDonalds and one of the lads ordered chicken nuggets. In a thick Scouse accent, the girl behind the counter asked "What sauce?". It sounded like "What sort?" to the untrained paddy ear. Yer man paused and said chicken nuggets please. The girl once again asked "What sauce?". He again repeated the words "chicken nuggets" and began to explain what they looked like. Yer wan behind the counter, then pulled out a variety of dips from under the counter for him to choose from. I was cracking up laughing

blade1 wrote: »
    Also heard people say at the time that A Son of Bin Laden was responsible!:pac:

Which is 'technically' correct, since even Osama had a father. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Which is 'technically' correct, since even Osama had a father. :D

Tough crowd today!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Me; what's your date of birth?
    Dull knife; 27th of September.
    Me; what year?
    Dull knife; every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

gramar wrote: »
    I was in the back row on a flight last week. Opposite were two girls and one empty seat. A couple of rows ahead there were 3 empty seats together.
    One suggested moving there as there were 3 free seats. The other agreed and up they both got and moved.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f7/f71beaed2b2a0d18a081fe28448c68ec43cc052c8c1539addfdaeede78e59800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

In Tesco a couple of years back, at the checkout: "I wish you could just get one loyalty card that worked in all the shops".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭.red.

We were on a boat trip in Portugal a few years ago and they had a small rib tied up behind. When we stopped they brought groups of 8 into some small caves in the middle of nowhere for a look and some fotos.
    Off in we went when one girl jokingly said, quick, check us in here on facebook. Her friend pulled out her phone and asked if anyone knew the wifi code.
    I nearly fell in i was laughing so much. Even the local lad driving the boat was in stitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

So have dinner with my wife one night. Eating buffalo wings. She says to me " I know that buffalo's don't have wings but what part of the Buffalo do they come from" I fell off my chair

Merrion wrote: »
    In Tesco a couple of years back, at the checkout: "I wish you could just get one loyalty card that worked in all the shops".

Something that gives a monetary reward / points every time it is used ... like a ... credit card. Not uncommon in the US, for a start.

I have to say the quality of this thread is not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Something that gives a monetary reward / points every time it is used ... like a ... credit card. Not uncommon in the US, for a start.

I have to say the quality of this thread is not great.

Mod

I'll help you out. Don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Working in a bed shop & was asked if memory foam pillows really helped improve memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Walking behind a group of young ones in Dublin a few years ago. There were a load of seagulls walking around, and one of the girls said "Look at all the crows"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The elderly woman asked about her attitude to violence on television. She said she liked violence and would love to see more violence on television. The surprised interviewer wandered off and the old lady, turning to her daughter said, oh I though he said violins.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

I overheard my sister talking to her husband asking him could they bring the kids to Kilkenny to see the tall ships (they live twenty minutes from kilkenny ) He says the tall ships are in Cork this weekend not Kilkenny. She says no its definitely Kilkenny. He says Kilkenny is not beside the sea. She says that doesn't matter she only wants to she the ships she is not bothered about going to the seaside as its a bit cold anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Someone was at the flamingos in Dublin zoo and said "Oh my god, they have pink swans here!!". Luckily her friends gave her a proper slagging over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

We have a wall in work where we write down all of the stupid things that have been said. A few I remember:

Me: we're going to the vintage cocktail club for drinks later
    Workmate: do they serve cocktails?

Workmate: they don't have Vienna listed as a country
    Me: do they have Austria?

A friend of mine thinks there are 4 continents. China. Africa. America. Canada.

Another friend thinks each country has its own moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

sullivlo wrote: »
    We have a wall in work where we write down all of the stupid things that have been said. A few I remember:

Me: we're going to the vintage cocktail club for drinks later
    Workmate: do they serve cocktails?

Workmate: they don't have Vienna listed as a country
    Me: do they have Austria?

A friend of mine thinks there are 4 continents. China. Africa. America. Canada.

Another friend thinks each country has its own moon.

Just as a matter of interest, where do you work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Local ding bat neighbour once asked could I give her a loan of a black sack. Told her I only had blue ones, to which she replied "Ok, thanks anyway " and walked away oblivious.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Dodge wrote: »
    Up until a couple of years ago a friend of mine was with a particlar building society and his cards could only work with AIB and his own crowd. Can't think of name

EBS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Just as a matter of interest, where do you work ?

I work in a lab with many PhD graduates. Book smart =/= life smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Someone at work was saying about eir codes when they were introduced, "its just another way to track ya" still makes me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Dard23 wrote: »
    I genuinely know a girl, African, who thought until she was in her late teens that the moon was the sun at night.

Technically she's right, insofar as the moon, having no source of light of its own, is only visible as it reflects the sunlight, so the African girl you genuinely know (BTW are you Miriam O'Callaghan?) is at least partly correct, and her theory about the moon is not really stupid, just slightly mistaken, but otherwise sound.

Oh, and by the way, you know when there's an eclipse? That's not a giant dragon swallowing the sun.

(It's a giant lizard)

Advertisement