Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was a lot of crap in the charts when Blondie was around too, maybe the bad chart music is getting worse but there are still those kinds of very good pop artists around. I'm partial to the odd bit of Gaga meself, you got your Adeles, Macklemore, Justin Timberlake. Not really my cup of tea but it is proper, solid, quality pop music and in ten years we'll be looking back lamenting it :P The whole concept of "chart" music is surely a bit dead anyway?
    My theory on music is that you forget all of the absolute muck that topped the charts when you were young and can only remember the good stuff. So you fool yourself into thinking that all music was great when you were young.

Sure when I was a teenager Radiohead were at their peak, as were the Prodigy and a number of other great bands. But there was also Scooter in the charts.

And stuff like this:

If that came out today, the teenagers would love it and we'd be groaning about the awful ****e they have in the charts nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

So the ops only real reason for hating them is their fashion sense, hair style and social media goings on.

Judgemental much?

Leave people be what they want, as long as their not harming anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Pai Mei wrote: »
    Well as a teenager (19 so on the way out ) I can say not all of us are like this. The hairstyles and the fashion is just the trend as I'm sure you had your own trend in your time OP. Being obsessed with FB and Snapchat is prob more a thing for the younger teens i.e. the Bebo Stunnaaahss ex oh ex oh loool

And I'm pretty sure bonfires and bangers are illegal now or at least the guards are more strict than they were 10 years ago.

Poor auld teenagers. The difference between my time as a teen in the 90s and now is that you guys know what people think of you because of the internet. No doubt everyone hated me and my pals too back in the day but we just didn't have the means to find out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Haha it's hardly that bad. It's just the trend that's in now. I'm 26 as well but when I was 16 I'd finished kicking footballs on the street , they have astro's now you know! I had died blonde hair , baggy jeans, piercings , some crazy hairstyles and Limp Bizkit hoodies I thought I was cool as ice , probably was annoying as **** , would drink in alleyways or anywhere we could find it and was chasing 'the sex' at any available opportunity.

Give teenagers a break , times move on I'm sure they do all of the above just a differant generations. I hate facebook , snapchat , twitter all of it just never got into it and I do think there's a lot wrong with it socially BUT I do realise it's part of todays world and will be part of it for a long time coming.

BTW - I also wouldn't change anything I did when I was the above said teenager but there's no chance I'd get away with it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Jesus, some young wan just insisted I take the free seat on the bus.

Teenagers, I hate them all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Poor auld teenagers. The difference between my time as a teen in the 90s and now is that you guys know what people think of you because of the internet. No doubt everyone hated me and my pals too back in the day but we just didn't have the means to find out about it.
    That would be about the biggest difference these days. I don't envy them that either.

Other than that, not a lot has changed. Teenagers are meant to be an alien species to older people and should drive middle aged people up the wall. That's their job and long may it continue. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭pedanticpat

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
    authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer
    rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents,
    chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their
    legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

This is a quote from Aristophanes' The Clouds. He died about 400 years before Jesus was born.

Teenagers will always be different to adults, and so they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

lkionm wrote: »
    And the sex. They are having all the sex now

Aye. Can't walk around the place nowadays without being knee-deep in teenagers having sex. Sex for breakfast, sex before meals, sex on the roof, sex in school, sex sex sex. It's a pure solid disgrace Joe, so 'tis.

Two thousand years ago the average teenager was like a dog chasing cars as far as sex is concerned, and they still are. Two thousand years ago teenagers were awkward, scared and trying to figure out who they are, and people like me wanted to plant an educational, guiding boot in their asses. This is exactly the position today, except being a kid is more difficult and scary than ever.

I say awesome a lot and I'm twice their age. :o

I'm 41 and I say things like "Right-on, Daddy-O" and "Totes Ledge, roysh!" a fair bit. This works particularly well because it easily drives everyone up the wall. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Plato wrote:
    What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?
    Hesiod wrote:
    I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint

Has probably already been pointed out during the seven pages, but OP it seems the ancient Greeks share your sentiment.

• Advertisement

So the ops only real reason for hating them is their fashion sense, hair style and social media goings on...

I have the privilege of being disliked by plenty of people for exactly the same reasons. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Tiffy6666 wrote: »
    And hey it was twenty something year olds who invented snapchat and Facebook, not us! We just play with the cool inventions we have, much like you and your football back in the day

Jaysus we aren't that old, football was not a new invention when I was growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

But it's pretty much all teenagers have ever known. So what effect is this having on them forming relationships in the real world? So much easier to be anonymous too, and cause crap for people.

I suppose so far I see teens nowadays being very open and confident. No issues with forming relationships. They're leaving Facebook in their droves too apparently which is a credit to them in terms of respecting their own privacy. They seem conscientious of their digital trail too, not all but my age group are completely oblivious to such things. I've a good few friends that have been in a serious trouble in work over their antics online.

Sadly things like KPMG and Slane Girl happen very easily which is about the only thing I see as a problem for them but then again that's a problem for us all really. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I know teenagers want to be seen as grown ups, so is a natural extension of that that people in their twenties want to pretend they're geriatrics and reminisce about the good old days (which was all of seven years ago)?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭pedanticpat

I know teenagers want to be seen as grown ups, so is a natural extension of that that people in their twenties want to pretend they're geriatrics and reminisce about the good old days (which was all of seven years ago)?

It's the realisation that life in your twenties doesn't mean that you're old, but you sure ain't a kid anymore. What I'd say to the 26 year old is to think of the people 10 years older than you and what they did, then think of how people perceived you ten years ago. If you were going around in a Limp Bizkit hoody, then people probably thought you looked like a bit of a knob. And you know what, you probably did, and it's okay, because you were a teenager, and that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

I think because of social media teens are not roaming the streets like they used to...good or a bad thing who knows...they can be in touch with friend from bedrooms or any room through facebook. I have three and don't mind them being at home but still in touch with pals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

BNMC wrote: »
    I'm 26, so I surely can't be accused of being an old fart.

You are only 26.
    Thats some rant.... imagine what you will be like when you are an old fart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

BNMC wrote: »
    I'm 26, so I surely can't be accused of being an old fart.

Is it just me or are a lot of teenagers nowadays absolute arseholes? With their stupid looking hairstyles, skinny jeans and chinos. They are obsessed with Facebook, Snapchat and all that irrelevent bollox that comes with the iPhone generation. Swag? Yolo? Lel? Fuck off!

And don't get me started on the whole American accent shite that some of them come out with. OMG!

You very rarely see many of them outside kicking a football these days. This is what me and my friends mostly did when I was a teen. On our days off school we would be gone from the house all day and our parents would almost have to drag us into the house when it got dark.

Halloween is nowhere near what it used to be, teens are not interested in collecting for bonfires anymore and it's rare to hear a few bangers going off. Again, this is what me and my friends did when I was a teen.

Feck it maybe I am just an old fart. :(

Well look at you, aren't you very acceptant of the times :) Maybe if you move on from the past and try out these new things called Snapchat and social media you might realise they're much easier to use and much more fun than your only means of commmunication which was text messaging and phone calls. (aside from actually going out and talking to people that. BTW, teenagers still do that!) Theyre not for everyone I suppose but you must be completely ignorant to not realise their enormous advantages. Calling all of it 'irrelevant bollox' is just the same as calling mobile phones irrelevant bollox when you were a teenager. I'm pretty sure you didn't think that at the time.

You're 26 but your chances of scoring girls your age or younger than you are extremely hindered. Probably because you go out in baggy jeans and a maybe a shirt instead of accepting the latest trends and wearing what girls nowadays deem to be sexy. Well done.

You should go to a random football pitch at any given night if you want to see young people kicking ball. If you go out of your way to find young people kicking ball you will have no problem finding them but I doubt you do? Hence why you rarely see them. Unless they play on the streets I dont think you will see them. And they don't. In fact I doubt many people in their 20's witnessed you and your friends kicking ball all day. Maybe they thought the same of teenagers then too? That said you have a point with teenagers being indoors a lot of the time, I'll give you that.

As regards halloween.. Take a look at all the guards around on halloween night and you have your answer. Nowadays there are much stricter rules on bonfires and bangers and the likes. So far as to say you could be fined or even arrested. Same goes for everything nowadays really, the law has gotten stricter. Again, you must be ignorant not to have noticed. Someone mentioned teenagers going out joyriding in a corrola, which I know was the craic back in the day but it's much more complicated than passing your theory and hopping into a car these days. Insurance is like gold dust and the amount of rules enforced on learner drivers is crazy. Thats just one example of what teenagers have to deal with.

There's a lot of reasons to complain about certain teenagers and tbh I think you picked all of the wrong things to give out about! I dont think youre an old fart OP, since you are only 26. Jealousy and ignorance it what I'd put it down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Blue giant wrote: »
    Where the fúck do you live. Must be like d4 or something. I've never heard any statement as stupid before. You're tarnishing a whole generation of people with the same brush. We're not all skinny jean wearing Facebook using arseholes as you put it. This stereotype of teenagers really posses me off. It's like me saying are all people in their twenties lazy cúnts. Obviously not t using your logic a few people are representative of us all

I know right? I'm like..toooootally possed off by it too. Its just sooooooooooooooooooooooo unfair like.:D Sorrycouldnt resist. I actually agree with your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JenEffy

All the things you described are used and done by people our age, too (I'm 24). I have friends ranging from 17 to 30... You sound like the kind of person who thinks everyone younger than them is a child. You're way too young to act so old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I'm an old fart now but I say let them be. It would be weird if I didn't find teenagers to be an alien species. When my kids get to that age I fully expect to find them ridiculous but will be aware that all parents see teens that way.

On the other hand, no matter the age or the era, those ****in' jeans / chinos belted halfway around the arse are just completely stupid looking things.

I think fashions and music have changed less in the last 25 years or so than they have ever done. In the fifties popular music went from How Much Is That Doggie In The Window by Pattie Paige to Jailhouse Rock by Elvis. A decade later hippies and flower power were the thing.

If you compare that to the last couple of decades popular music has changed very little. In the late eighties NWA released their debut album and in the early nineties released EFIL4ZAGGIN. A couple of decades later it's hard to outdo songs like 'Real Niggaz Don't Die', 'Findum, Fuckum and Flee', 'One Less Bitch' and 'She Swallowed It'. You could always rebel against violence and not wear baggy jeans, but that would leave you wearing chinos and not engaging in activities like setting off bangers.

It's the realisation that life in your twenties doesn't mean that you're old, but you sure ain't a kid anymore. What I'd say to the 26 year old is to think of the people 10 years older than you and what they did, then think of how people perceived you ten years ago. If you were going around in a Limp Bizkit hoody, then people probably thought you looked like a bit of a knob. And you know what, you probably did, and it's okay, because you were a teenager, and that's okay.
    When I was 16 I was listening to Dr. Dre and Ice T and wearing baggy jeans. My sisters boyfriend, who is about nine years older than me, made fun of me for it.

A few years later my nephew, who is twelve years younger than me, was listening to Eminem and wearing baggy jeans.

The most disappointing thing about this was that I missed out on making fun of the generation below me because there was so little difference. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

seamus wrote: »
    Yes you are old, yes you were that annoying as a teenager, yes you did look that stupid too and no, music was not much better back then.

All accurate with the exception of the music part. Today's music is awful and it's not just an age thing it's more of a cold hard fact thing.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Helfyre

I'm a teenager (18)... so let me offer my input. Don't lump us all into the same pot. Personally I've seen more 30 year Olds with Mohawks and whatnot than teens. There is a "norm" and a lot of teens follow it. That norm is Tracksuits, over fried hair and too much makeup. (The females).
    I always see lads kicking a ball around. It's still a common pastime. Chart music is awful. I agree there. I don't touch the stuff.
    Unfortunately if you don't fit into the norm or a subculture, you have difficulty making friends. I always seem to get on with punks though.
    The common pastimes nowadays would be faking ID for fags and nightclubs. Then getting pissed and puking your guts up on the concrete.
    Not my scene... But then I don't fit in anywhere really, I observe, and sometimes join in, But when every 5th girl seems to be getting pregnant and catfights ensue, and lads head off to bate each other... you just tire of it. Overall I despise my kind, and they despise me. Happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

When I was a teenager I was a complete arsehole, with a stupid spiky hairdo and baggy jeans.

Same crap, different era.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

As an 18 y/o I think we are quite a pleasant bunch for the most part. I don't think you can judge people on their age/generation, there are self entitled dickheads in every walk of life and of every age. Your arguments are a bit weak IMO.
    I'm mad at the fact my life is not like 'Dazed and Confused' tbh and that raves seem to be obselete! :( So does that give me the right to dislike my peers and reminisce about the 80's/90's (that I wasn't there for?) :P
    You can look back with Rosey eyed glasses at all the stuff you used to do and shake your head wondering why we don't do the same but the world changes. There are fedora -sporting misunderstood dudes in this generation too, so maybe we're more similar than you thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gallowglass

15 year olds look like 18 year olds yet if you ever went to bed with one you'd be locked up. They are powerful looking but have rotten personalities so they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ok there Rolph:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Helfyre wrote: »
    I'm a teenager (18)... so let me offer my input. Don't lump us all into the same pot. Personally I've seen more 30 year Olds with Mohawks and whatnot than teens. There is a "norm" and a lot of teens follow it. That norm is Tracksuits, over fried hair and too much makeup. (The females).
    I always see lads kicking a ball around. It's still a common pastime. Chart music is awful. I agree there. I don't touch the stuff.
    Unfortunately if you don't fit into the norm or a subculture, you have difficulty making friends. I always seem to get on with punks though.
    The common pastimes nowadays would be faking ID for fags and nightclubs. Then getting pissed and puking your guts up on the concrete.
    Not my scene... But then I don't fit in anywhere really, I observe, and sometimes join in, But when every 5th girl seems to be getting pregnant and catfights ensue, and lads head off to bate each other... you just tire of it. Overall I despise my kind, and they despise me. Happy out.

Here here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement