Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

BNMC wrote: »
    For the third time.

I DID NOT MENTION MUSIC!!!

Why you still going on about music. Shur, it's no worse than the muck we listened too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tiffy6666

I'm 26, so I surely can't be accused of being an old fart.

Is it just me or are a lot of teenagers nowadays absolute arseholes? With their stupid looking hairstyles, skinny jeans and chinos. They are obsessed with Facebook, Snapchat and all that irrelevent bollox that comes with the iPhone generation. Swag? Yolo? Lel? Fuck off!

And don't get me started on the whole American accent shite that some of them come out with. OMG!

You very rarely see many of them outside kicking a football these days. This is what me and my friends mostly did when I was a teen. On our days off school we would be gone from the house all day and our parents would almost have to drag us into the house when it got dark.

Halloween is nowhere near what it used to be, teens are not interested in collecting for bonfires anymore and it's rare to hear a few bangers going off. Again, this is what me and my friends did when I was a teen.

Feck it maybe I am just an old fart. :(

As a 17 year old I don't understand what your point is. You say that teenagers today 'seem' to be a bunch of 'absolute arseholes' and yet you're disappointed that we're not running around setting fire to crap and setting off ILLEGAL fireworks on Halloween? And hey it was twenty something year olds who invented snapchat and Facebook, not us! We just play with the cool inventions we have, much like you and your football back in the day. (plus I am an avid supporter of Gaa and the like I just don't have the coordination to play it!) Also as to the chinos etc. are you telling me that there were absolutely NO TRENDS back in your day?? I don't mean to be rude but I think it's incredibly unfair of you to vent your anger at what is a GENERALISATION of teenagers to the world. It is people like you who are the real reason teenagers have a bad name.
    Yours faithfully,
    An absolute arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Pai Mei wrote: »
    Dafuq has this got to do with music?? In what way does the internet have to do with what teenagers listen to??
    he didn't mention music. He did mention that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

chopper6 wrote: »
    They want a good clip round the ear and bring back national service.

The problem with young people today is that they have things too easy.

Major Willington-Smyth (rtd), Windybottom, Berkshire

I agree. Is this what we pay a licence fee for?

Disgusted Tunbridge Wells

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I was thinking that "did they know it was Christmas" is all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

The OP didn't but renraw quoted my post about music....

The OP didn't but renraw quoted my post about music....

Put id down to "lost in translation"...eh???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I agree. Is this what we pay a licence fee for?

Disgusted Tunbridge Wells

Not a day goes by without hearing from some jumped-up scruffy rock and roll singer lecturing us about rainforests,ozone etc.

Well i could give one or two of these fellows a lecture too...on the damage taking drugs has done to thier brains.

I.P. Knightly,

The Rookery

Northants.

Doubleup wrote: »
    Its ok..we've all gone thru it..cranky midlife remorse jealous of youth syndrome..

You posted twice so we can only put id down to frustration! Troll, btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Its ok..we've all gone thru it..cranky midlife remorse jealous of youth syndrome..
    You obviously went through it twice. Tough times. Troll??? Is that the new LOL?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

You obviously went through it twice. Tough times.
    He ain't called Doubleup for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I remember listening to scooter with my friends, the shame!
    They can't be listening to anything more ****e than that.

We all think our generation got it right as teenagers, whereas it's probably more like we all got it wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Boring troll is boring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Boring troll is boring

You can say that again....although i'd prefer if you didnt..one person repeating themselves is enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Tiffy6666 wrote: »
    As a 17 year old I don't understand what your point is. You say that teenagers today 'seem' to be a bunch of 'absolute arseholes' and yet you're disappointed that we're not running around setting fire to crap and setting off ILLEGAL fireworks on Halloween? ......

That's the attitude that worries me right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

anncoates wrote: »
    What are you talking about. They were great times.

Never said they were bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'm 26, so I surely can't be accused of being an old fart.

Is it just me or are a lot of teenagers nowadays absolute arseholes? With their stupid looking hairstyles, skinny jeans and chinos. They are obsessed with Facebook, Snapchat and all that irrelevent bollox that comes with the iPhone generation. Swag? Yolo? Lel? Fuck off!

And don't get me started on the whole American accent shite that some of them come out with. OMG!

You very rarely see many of them outside kicking a football these days. This is what me and my friends mostly did when I was a teen. On our days off school we would be gone from the house all day and our parents would almost have to drag us into the house when it got dark.

Halloween is nowhere near what it used to be, teens are not interested in collecting for bonfires anymore and it's rare to hear a few bangers going off. Again, this is what me and my friends did when I was a teen.

Feck it maybe I am just an old fart. :(

Praps you put it down to frustration i call it bad app...whats a troll?are you a troll?

aww, my heart weeps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Yes it was. People keep saying chart music is not getting worse, it's the same as it always was, which is clearly not true. There was a time when Blondie was chart/pop music.

There was a lot of crap in the charts when Blondie was around too, maybe the bad chart music is getting worse but there are still those kinds of very good pop artists around. I'm partial to the odd bit of Gaga meself, you got your Adeles, Macklemore, Justin Timberlake. Not really my cup of tea but it is proper, solid, quality pop music and in ten years we'll be looking back lamenting it :P The whole concept of "chart" music is surely a bit dead anyway?

But yeah the X factor can do one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise." - Socrates.

This argument is oooooold.

I work with teenagers every day and apart from the odd bit of annoying behaviour (we've all been annoying at some stage as teenagers), they're all little legends. Whilst there have been huge improvement in technology, food and medicine, they are growing up in the generation with the most mental pressure ever. How they can stay even half normal I don't know. I had one girl literally crying on my shoulder this morning at 9am because she was having an off day- her dad died by suicide earlier this year and the poor thing just was so sad, all I could do was hug her and tell her that we were here for her. I then asked her had she someone in the class she could talk to during the day if she needed to and she said that all the girls were there for her and named one in particular. Being a teenager is hard enough without having all this other crap going on.

Who gives a crap what they wear and how they behave so long as it's not harming anyone. There are massive douchebags in every generation. As far as I'm concerned I am so lucky to get to work with teenagers every day.

Meangadh wrote: »
    "The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise." - Socrates.

This argument is oooooold.

I work with teenagers every day and apart from the odd bit of annoying behaviour (we've all been annoying at some stage as teenagers), they're all little legends. Whilst there have been huge improvement in technology, food and medicine, they are growing up in the generation with the most mental pressure ever. How they can stay even half normal I don't know. I had one girl literally crying on my shoulder this morning at 9am because she was having an off day- her dad died by suicide earlier this year and the poor thing just was so sad, all I could do was hug her and tell her that we were here for her. I then asked her had she someone in the class she could talk to during the day if she needed to and she said that all the girls were there for her and named one in particular. Being a teenager is hard enough without having all this other crap going on.

Who gives a crap what they wear and how they behave so long as it's not harming anyone. There are massive douchebags in every generation. As far as I'm concerned I am so lucky to get to work with teenagers every day.

Alls good :/...its looking like a bootiful day :) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

YOLO SWEG!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

and the hand down the tracksuit bottoms!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Those little whippersnappers, with their stupid haircuts, luminous clothing and silly accents, bah to the lot of them!! (bangs walking stick off the kitchen table)

I'm 25 by the way, can see where you're coming from BNMC. Some of them do my head in, some are overprivileged cheeky little f**kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I think by in large they are the same as any other generation of teens, most of them are genuinely lovely kids growing up awkwardly navigating the trends of their generation.

I'm 22 so not that much older I suppose but this generation seems very foreign to even me, simply because things change so quickly for that gen in particular, they really love social media, they seem to be more socially conscious to a certain extent, more ambitious in ways. They also have to deal with crap that most adults have never had to deal with, cyber bullying etc.

Also if people are looking for a few cider swigging, Bon fire building, banger loving teens then feel free to come down my way and take a few off my hands, tbf they don't really cause much bother, but Halloween was a nightmare, I would take a few chino boys any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭FameHungry

I'm going on 17 and I agree with you completely. They're all a bunch of moaners and I tend to keep away from most of them because they're c*nts.

And I also agree that they have such stupid haircuts and some say words like "awesome" and "epic" constantly. And the girls all where the same clothes, Hollister, A&F and other overly expensive brands. They all look like clones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I say awesome a lot and I'm twice their age. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Mint Aero wrote: »
    To be fair I think it's the 20 and 30 somethings that are having chronic issues with social media.
    But it's pretty much all teenagers have ever known. So what effect is this having on them forming relationships in the real world? So much easier to be anonymous too, and cause crap for people.
    There was a lot of crap in the charts when Blondie was around too, maybe the bad chart music is getting worse but there are still those kinds of very good pop artists around. I'm partial to the odd bit of Gaga meself, you got your Adeles, Macklemore, Justin Timberlake. Not really my cup of tea but it is proper, solid, quality pop music and in ten years we'll be looking back lamenting it
    Yeh there are a few good bits and pieces of pop music, but what I mean is: overall, there has been a dip in quality, compared to when there was new wave, ska, funk, soul, acid house, rap like Public Enemy etc in the charts/on daytime radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm eleven years older than you are and I spent a great deal of my childhood playing video games on the Atari 2600, which was released in 1977. Even the original Nintendo Gameboy has been around since 1989.

What is it with people here acting old before their time? When I was 26 it didn't seem that long ago since I had been a teenager. Even now I don't have much nostalgia for my teenage years because I remember it as being mainly crap.

I can't say I've ever longed for the halcyon days when teenagers set off bangers, mainly because the little scumbags are still at it around here.

I wear chinos myself in the summer as they're nice and light for warmer weather. I wear the normal looking ones that aren't slim fit and that don't have those elasticated cuffs in the bottom of the leg. If teenagers want to wear them though it's up to them. It doesn't affect me how anyone else chooses to dress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement