Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what horror film are you watching?

Options
12346»

Comments

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya I think Ive seen the orginal one as well,
    is that where a load of college kids go stay in this house in an remote area and only the girl survives, she gets away in the car and his running after her

Yep, that's the one, college kids go to to visit a cemetary after reports of grave robbing, then go on to visit the old family home, end up in a neighbours house...then they meet Leatherface..l

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Im going to go watch an American warewolf in London, just noticed it's on Netflix, doesn't seem to be that scary. I was supposed to go see it in Fitzgeralds Park during the summer but they had to cancel it because it was raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just finished watching season 1 of American Horror Story. It has some awful characters but not bad overall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Didn't bother with the new one tbh...but the Tobe Hooper original is a stand out in the horror genre. I think people kinda dismiss it as a slasher when in fact not too much gore is shown, it's the setting, the heat, the claustrophobia, the shocks...it was a brilliant effort, almost perfect horror. And like all great horrors, relying on simplicity, the hum of the generator and the dirt, the mask, the brutality...

This is why old school horror is pretty much flawless in my view. The likes of TCM, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Assault on Precinct 13 etc had oodles of suspense and pretty much zero gore. Somewhere in the 1980s that was abandoned in favour of gory deaths. For shame! It wasn't until Scream came along in the late 1990s that we got a decent suspense slasher (with heavy dollops of irony) in the 1990s.

Watched Purge 2 last night, it was quite decent I thought. Looking forward to the third one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

just watched Event Horizon still good and disturbing

Also The mist not bad either both on netflix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

redrums wrote: »
    just watched Event Horizon still good and disturbing

Also The mist not bad either both on netflix

The mist is a great film. Really enjoyed it. Based on the Stephen king book I thought the ending was heartbreaking. Every time I watch it I keep saying don't do it...... Silly of course but loved the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

Yeah i loved the ending of the mist no disney ending with mr King , Also Those spiders freaked me out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Yeah i loved the ending of the mist no disney ending with mr King , Also Those spiders freaked me out a bit

I think a lot of kings novels dwell on the fact that the most dangerous animal on earth is humans. The scenario in that movie the mist is probably scarily realistic. Not talking about the creatures but rather the people's reaction to the problem. They always say that if you put 2 men in a room only 1 will make it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Actually the movie's ending is different the book. In the book
    suicide is hinted at as a solution if things don't work out, but it doesn't happen. They drive off into the distance.

Darabont was quite insistent on his ending, the studio weren't keen and wouldn't give him a big budget as a result.

King loved the movie's ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

faceman wrote: »
    Actually the movie's ending is different the book.

A here. We all know King.
    Main character wasn't filled with enthusiasm finishing his note at the end of the book. "And they all died" is the indicated ending as far as I'm concerned.
    Open to interpretation of course....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

fizzypish wrote: »
    A here. We all know King.
    Main character wasn't filled with enthusiasm finishing his note at the end of the book. "And they all died" is the indicated ending as far as I'm concerned.
    Open to interpretation of course....

Yeah, but in the film
    directly after he kills everyone in the car, the army come along and the mist clears. The ending was bleaker for the world in King's book but much, much bleaker for the protagonist in the film because he has to live with the knowledge that he has killed his son and the others and it was all for nought - they could have all survived.

American Psycho on the Horror Channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I only saw little bits of Nightmare on Elm Street here and there, don't know that I ever saw any of them in full surprisingly enough, or if I did, I can't remember them. So I committed to watching the full series.

Episode 1 - surprisingly good, not at all scary and somewhat dated but fun and very 'quintessentially 80s' in the same way as say Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Episode 2 - homophobic tripe, don't even know where to begin but at least it had some 'so bad its funny' type of redeeming moments.

Episode 3 (Dream Warriors) - a genuinely very good movie, best of the bunch.

Episode 4 (The Dream Master) - not very good at all, but better than expected.

Episode 5 (The Dream Child) - this is genuinely one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Episode 6 (Freddy's Dead) - pencilled in for tonight or tomorrow, and supposedly even worse than pt.5... wish me luck. :(

razorblunt wrote: »
    Just finished watching season 1 of American Horror Story. It has some awful characters but not bad overall.
    Those get worse and worse by season sadly, but Jessica Lange is typically great in them. Especially in the first season (I gave up on it after the third).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Billy86 wrote: »
    Those get worse and worse by season sadly, but Jessica Lange is typically great in them. Especially in the first season (I gave up on it after the third).

I quite liked the third for a lot of the season, but it went on way too long. The fourth is absolutely awful though. The fifth is building up on my DVR now, not sure whether to bother yet.

I quite liked the third for a lot of the season, but it went on way too long. The fourth is absolutely awful though. The fifth is building up on my DVR now, not sure whether to bother yet.

That's the problem for me... they tend to build up a whole lot of potential, and consistently fail to deliver. I gave up after the 3rd one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Billy86 wrote: »

I really enjoyed the first season (apart from how they tied it up at the end, could have done better there), but yes they get progressively worse as they go on, despite having a great cast (along with Jessica Lange, thought James Cromwell was great in the second season).

Cheers for the heads up lads, we're 2 episodes in on season 2 and we're already debating switching off.
    I liked the Excorcism scene though I have to say. Not liking Ralph Fiennes though, completely hamming it up, reminds me of Cary Elwes in Robin Hood Men in Thights.

Will give it another few episodes, at least, anyway. We've already binned Sons of Anarchy after season 3 so we're on a bad run of shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I'm watching American Horror Story too. I flew through the first season and I'm about half way through the second but haven't watched it in a while.

The second season hasn't gripped me the same way the first did but it's still enjoyable so I'll stick with it. I like the idea of having the same actors playing different characters!

When I think of James Cromwell, I think of "That'll do pig" and I always find it a bit disturbing to see him in a very different role! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

For Halloween I settled down to 'It Follows', perhaps the best, and by best I mean most chilling, horror film I've seen in years.
    Unlike most modern horror it forgoes gore and jump scares (for the most part) and instead settles on building and then ratcheting up a pervasive sense of dread as only the best psychological horror can.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the heads up lads, we're 2 episodes in on season 2 and we're already debating switching off.
    I liked the Excorcism scene though I have to say. Not liking Ralph Fiennes though, completely hamming it up, reminds me of Cary Elwes in Robin Hood Men in Thights.

Will give it another few episodes, at least, anyway. We've already binned Sons of Anarchy after season 3 so we're on a bad run of shows.
    Mr. Robot.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Don't give up on Sons, it gets better with each season up until the last. Thats assuming you don't mind increasingly hilarious plotlines and violent deaths. And fully in agreement about Mr Robot, excellent show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Mr Robot is great. A little bit older, but Six Feet Under was excellent and I think sometimes gets forgotten about a little bit in between The Sopranos, The Wire, etc.

Don't give up on Sons, it gets better with each season up until the last. Thats assuming you don't mind increasingly hilarious plotlines and violent deaths. And fully in agreement about Mr Robot, excellent show

That's my issue, I'm already sick of mass shootouts where none of SAMCROW get hit and when they do it's in their shoulder.
    The missus still watches it, so I'll catch a few more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Quorom

The one that is on the TV at the moment, it is set in Paris.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

I watched "Irreversible" just now.

Bit of a let down considering the hype behind it.

Also, I hate subtitles.

Advertisement