Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jb1989 wrote: »
    How do you find the blue rope? , I've orange rope here, not overly impressed with it.

Why is there a gap in those two pieces of metal in the upper top side?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Figerty wrote: »
    Time to paint that shed!:D

Hangers for tracking, for a sliding door?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

I often put a few spots of white hammerite on my vertical welds.
    If anyone is looking at it I'll just say "Fcukin pigeons"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The Rabbi wrote: »
    I often put a few spots of white hammerite on my vertical welds.
    If anyone is looking at it I'll just say "Fcukin pigeons"

thereby killing two birds with the one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Any idea what this is? I'm thinking it's some kind Of wood plainer. Inner edge of long part seems sharpish.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

Any idea what this is? I'm thinking it's some kind Of wood plainer. Inner edge of long part seems sharpish.

Probably a planer or a drawknife

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It looks like part of one of those things they used to have outside fancy houses to wipe your boots on?

EDIT : Like this - but looking at that pic, it doesnt look likely, as it doesnt have the 'legs'...

So, thats me out of ideas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

It looks like part of one of those things they used to have outside fancy houses to wipe your boots on?

EDIT : Like this - but looking at that pic, it doesnt look likely, as it doesnt have the 'legs'...

So, thats me out of ideas ;)

I've learned something new today. Never knew such a thing existed. I'm going to steal that photo and send it on to my brother. If he doesn't know what it is it will do his head in until I tell him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

NcdJd wrote: »
    I've learned something new today. Never knew such a thing existed. I'm going to steal that photo and send it on to my brother. If he doesn't know what it is it will do his head in until I tell him. :D

Standard issue in 1970s school designs. Boot scraper outside. Now it woudld be seen as a hazard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

My second off the wall suggestion is...

Is it off one of the front shafts off an old cart?
    They had things like that on them, which held the chain that went over the ‘saddle’ (not sure if saddle is the right word there - but it was like a saddle)

That would mean the long part shouldn’t be sharp though - if anything the opposite...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

My second off the wall suggestion is...

They had things like that on them, which held the chain that went over the ‘saddle’ (not sure if saddle is the right word there - but it was like a saddle)

That would mean the long part shouldn’t be sharp though - if anything the opposite...

That is also what I though it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Farm Roadway Sinking

Have a farm roadway that has been sinking over the years from the weight of machinery. The grassy bit in the middle is at too much of a higher level to drive over without scraping the bottom of the jeep.

I was wondering if I just filled the two sunken tracks at the sides of it with 2 inch stone would it keep them going for another few years.

As opposed to scraping off the grassy middle bit and building the whole width of the roadway up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can you get road planings?
    Would 2" stones not dislodge more easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

Use two inch down? Should bind together fine.

Other option is a lift kit for the jeep?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

2" down would be fair rough on a Jeep no?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

The 2" down would be grand for jeep and machinery - just wondering about my plan of only using it to fill up the tracks and not the middle bit.

Where would road planings be sourced cheaply? Would be a nice job too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Farm Roadway Sinking

Have a farm roadway that has been sinking over the years from the weight of machinery. The grassy bit in the middle is at too much of a higher level to drive over without scraping the bottom of the jeep.

I was wondering if I just filled the two sunken tracks at the sides of it with 2 inch stone would it keep them going for another few years.

As opposed to scraping off the grassy middle bit and building the whole width of the roadway up.

Scrape off the middle with a loader bucket or transport box, then a bucket load or two of trunking and the jobs fine for another few years. We have to do sections here every year or two after the slurry tankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭countryjimbo

That what I thought of too when I first saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Grueller

Scrape off the middle with a loader bucket or transport box, then a bucket load or two of trunking and the jobs fine for another few years. We have to do sections here every year or two after the slurry tankers.

What is trunking Buford?

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    What is trunking Buford?

Anything that can bring up the base level of the road from stones on the farm to bought in aggregate. A bucket or two of a finer mix on top as blinding if there's cattle using the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Grueller

Anything that can bring up the base level of the road from stones on the farm to bought in aggregate. A bucket or two of a finer mix on top as blinding if there's cattle using the road.

Ah right. We would call that fill. Then blinding.

Grueller wrote: »
    Ah right. We would call that fill. Then blinding.

I reckon we'd need a thread with all the different names for the same things. Might have to ban forks/prongs/pikes from the thread in case we end up banning the whole forum:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

526770.jpg
    A yoke I made up out of bits and pieces I had
    For pulling sheep and Barb wire.
    The name frame is an old shear grab
    Bought two Hydraulic rams to crimp wire.
    Huge labour saving for sheep and Barb wite

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

richie123 wrote: »
    A yoke I made up out of bits and pieces I had
    For pulling sheep and Barb wire.
    The name frame is an old shear grab
    Bought two Hydraulic rams to crimp wire.
    Huge labour saving for sheep and Barb wite

That's a serious bit of kit. Any chance of a few more pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

A yoke I made up out of bits and pieces

For a Post that started with "a yoke I made out of bits and pieces" that picture far exceeded my expectations.

Please post a few more pics.

I reckon we'd need a thread with all the different names for the same things. Might have to ban forks/prongs/pikes from the thread in case we end up banning the whole forum:pac:

It's a grape :p

emaherx wrote: »
    For a Post that started with "a yoke I made out of bits and pieces" that picture far exceeded my expectations.

Please post a few more pics.

Welder give me some hardship stopping and starting slightest bit of wind ya end up with bird droppings...so ignore d welding :):)

526791.jpg

Welder give me some hardship stopping and starting slightest bit of wind ya end up with bird droppings...so ignore d welding :):)

We are not here to judge the welds. It's an excellent job and you are making a fine job of the fencing too.

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    We are not here to judge the welds. It's an excellent job and you are making a fine job of the fencing too.

Cheers...that machine speeds up the job something shocking.

Advertisement