Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky 500MB Broadband, Tv and and Sky Sports €55pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

mailburner wrote: »
    They'll do everything they can to keep you so be adamant that you're
    leaving after every reduced offer they offer you keep telling them you're cancelling

I left sky two years ago, was nearly an hour on cancelling and after thinking I was finished they transferred me to the tv dept after getting the broadband done.
    They fought hard to keep me I'll give them that

This is a great offer, best I've seen so far, was giving them around 100 a month for years too myself.

I think it's poor as I trialled their fibre broadband last month and I found it dreadful. I think they throttle it if they see you streaming.

The price is without HD and nobody with decent eyesight nowadays would be just content with non HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭vicM

I went for it
    Suits me fine as was paying vodafone 40€ for BB. Was getting skysports and extra for another 40 through nowtv which was coming to an end and paying 16€ for netflix
    Moved from sky around this time last year so couldn't sign up online, but was on to chat and someone called me back today and signed me up.including the 50€ mastercard which I didn't expect
    I'll pay 17€ for netflix through sky but will then get UHD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

How much extra is multiroom for a extra 4 TV's?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I think it's poor as I trialled their fibre broadband last month and I found it dreadful. I think they throttle it if they see you streaming.

The price is without HD and nobody with decent eyesight nowadays would be just content with non HD.

This is one of the reasons I left and tbh I'm a bit surprised two years later that they still have the cheek to charge extra for that alone.
    It's disgraceful and even when I had BT it came as hd at no extra cost yet sky tried to tell me that bt's hd was only 720p compared to their 1080 and of course I couldn't tell but 720 was great compared to my sky sports sd.
    I couldn't believe what I was hearing, anything being better than sd, not sure if this was even true.

I was considering going back but not if they throttle their broadband, been down that road before with a different provider and I nearly went mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭vicM

BLUEYK wrote: »
    I signed up yesterday also and was using Sky Go last night. Would be interested when billing starts for TV too as install not till end of this month. Router arrived this morning only ordered yesterday afternoon. Says on the router box due to go live 13th, Friday 13th.....nothing can go wrong!

Also, when I used Sky Go last night I have access to movies and BT sports too. Anyone else notice that? I just signed up for the e55 offer.

When signing up over the phone yesterday, I was told until your activation date for TV, you get access to Skygo on a single device and you will have access to sky movies. When you go live, it reverts to your channels and 2 devices
    Think it is neat promo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm going with the AX3000 here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083QK8HT2

It'll also future-proof me as I have a few Wireless-AX devices (new phone and PC WiFi card) now anyway. Reading this thread, it should be possible to just swap the Sky one out and this one in.

I was thinking of the AX6000 but I really can't justify nearly 300 sterling for a router.

Just on the above, as the TPLink is still out of stock I cancelled and went with the ASUS version instead.

A little more expensive but gets better reviews all round. I was going to wait for Black Friday but these wireless issues are driving me nuts (Whatsapp and Viber in particular constantly complaining and switching to 4G data)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

My broadband switchover is supposed to be today. No sign of it dropping from Vodafone yet

Looking for advice from the tech-experts please.

I switched from the Vodafone router to the Sky router yesterday evening. All well except the Vodafone TV box seems incompatible with the new router. Just got the vodafone tv homescreen and when tried a reset now get a red x. Talked to vodafone and they think Sky need to change something in the router settings.

Have opened the Skyhub settings and am looking at reams of alterable settings on lan and Ipv6 firewalls etc, etc.

Fairly sure there's a simple alteration but no clue what it is. On the phone to sky but they are just playing **** music at me. I suspect I might find the answer faster here anyway.

Any help appreciated.

Looking for advice from the tech-experts please.

I switched from the Vodafone router to the Sky router yesterday evening. All well except the Vodafone TV box seems incompatible with the new router. Just got the vodafone tv homescreen and when tried a reset now get a red x. Talked to vodafone and they think Sky need to change something in the router settings.

Have opened the Skyhub settings and am looking at reams of alterable settings on lan and Ipv6 firewalls etc, etc.

Fairly sure there's a simple alteration but no clue what it is. On the phone to sky but they are just playing **** music at me. I suspect I might find the answer faster here anyway.

Any help appreciated.

A follow up on this, I eventually got through to Sky and was told that for people switching from Vodafone or Eir tv, their tv service will only work with their OWN respective broadband. Said they have fielding some calls from unhappy customers who were told to switch over to Sky broadband when the router arrived and then are left with no tv while they wait a couple of weeks for the engineer to install Sky tv. He claims they should have rang Sky to say they were switching from these providers because the forms on the web don't ask that question, even though they do promise to look after the switch over for you. Was quite apologetic about it but says there is nothing they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Truckermal wrote: »
    How much extra is multiroom for a extra 4 TV's?

If it's Sky Q Multiroom/Multiscreen you get one mini box free (we did anyway) with the mutiroom sub which is €19 per month

No additional charge to the sub for multiple TVs but you do have to pay a one off €120 fee for each Sky Q Mini box you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

fdevine wrote: »
    If it's Sky Q Multiroom/Multiscreen you get one mini box free (we did anyway) with the mutiroom sub which is €19 per month

No additional charge to the sub for multiple TVs but you do have to pay a one off €120 fee for each Sky Q Mini box you need

Got quoted €60 for an additional 3rd box today over the phone. Haven’t signed up yet, expecting call back tomorrow to sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭ando

What ways are people communicating with sky staff?? I have been trying to get through for a MONTH!! On the phone regularly for 40mins waiting. I’m now out of contract and paying the max for the package. Thinking of cancelling direct debit so someone calls me!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

ando wrote: »
    What ways are people communicating with sky staff?? I have been trying to get through for a MONTH!! On the phone regularly for 40mins waiting. I’m now out of contract and paying the max for the package. Thinking of cancelling direct debit so someone calls me!

In similar situation, out of contract next month! Filled out the form about cancelling & got a call back straight away pretty much! I'm paying €54 a month for sky entertainment & BB with talk freetime (never even plugged in phone).

Cheapest the rep could offer was €68.50 per month for same package! Told her no thanks, didn't get the hard sell apart from asking was there anything that would keep me, asked could I get this offer & told cheapest they could do it for me was €102 per month! Went ahead with cancellation, will see if I get any offers between now & actual cancellation! Would like 2 keep sky as sky q is great but have had plenty of problems with BB dropping regularly!

Thinking of switching to virgin seeing as they've finally got a decent STB! Otherwise will go with just BB & get a combo box like the zgemma h7s 4 TV as recommended elsewhere on boards! Would prefer a combo box with Android TV so can watch Netflix, Disney+, etc but not sure if any exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm getting the "we're having trouble identifying your address" when I check for availability. I'm guessing that's a no. Don't fancy calling judging by the wait times people are describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm getting the "we're having trouble identifying your address" when I check for availability. I'm guessing that's a no. Don't fancy calling judging by the wait times people are describing.

I called and got sorted... Had the same issue as you. Needed my UAN and CRN to get it done. Didn't take too long in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

lawred2 wrote: »
    I called and got sorted... Had the same issue as you. Needed my UAN and CRN to get it done. Didn't take too long in fairness.

Ah okay, thanks for response. Will give them a buzz :)

For anyone switching from Vodafone. My BB never went down which I was expecting yesterday.

Today I found NowTV buffering a little so switched the PPPoE username setting on my Asus router and all seems well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

SachaJ wrote: »
    For anyone switching from Vodafone. My BB never went down which I was expecting yesterday.

Today I found NowTV buffering a little so switched the PPPoE username setting on my Asus router and all seems well.

you not using sky's own router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

They send a router (skyhub) in the post and you connect it yourself on the activation date.

As An Post are working at capacity there may be delays. My switch over is tomorrow but the router wont arrive until tomorrow at the earliest.

I wonder if they switch over before I change routers will I lose Internet?

Did it go smoothly for you, Trimm Trabb?

Got the router, plugged in the power and cable and internet is up and running.

Speed test is giving me 256 mbps download speed.. was about half of that with Vodafone and getting better signal upstairs and corners of the house furthest from router; presume it’s just the quality of the router they supply you with that account for the difference?

TV due to be installed next weekend - delighted with this bargain!

lawred2 wrote: »
    you not using sky's own router?

No, I use an Asus RT-AC68U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m with Vodafone on the siro network. Never really any issues so a bit hesitant to change.

Is there much of a difference in quality?

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m with Vodafone on the siro network. Never really any issues so a bit hesitant to change.

Is there much of a difference in quality?

Sky is SIRO also

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

SachaJ wrote: »

I am switching from VF, Sky BB was supposed to activate yesterday but my VF signal is still working. I am using the generic VF router. Probably a stupid question but I take it once sky BB activates my VF signal drops and I need to switch to the Sky router? Sky hardly works thru the VF router?

BLUEYK wrote: »
    I am switching from VF, Sky BB was supposed to activate yesterday but my VF signal is still working. I am using the generic VF router. Probably a stupid question but I take it once sky BB activates my VF signal drops and I need to switch to the Sky router? Sky hardly works thru the VF router?

As I said, mine never dropped but I did notice NowTV buffering and slowing down. I switched details to the new Sky ones and everything is working well again. My guess is if you plug in the new router it will work.

I was told by Sky that it can take up to 4 days from the switchover date for the broadband switch to occur. I've had the sky router in place for 2 days but apparently I'm still on the Vodafone plan. It will tell you on the Sky app when the switch is complete. You need to wait until then before comparing the speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Anyone got the link to the sky cancellation. Just noticed I e been paying 96 euros past few months. The thoughts of haggling doesn’t seem appealing. Rarely watch tv so Vodafone’s offer of 30e pm seems better to me

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

adam88 wrote: »
    Anyone got the link to the sky cancellation. Just noticed I e been paying 96 euros past few months. The thoughts of haggling doesn’t seem appealing. Rarely watch tv so Vodafone’s offer of 30e pm seems better to me

I posted a link 1 page back, cant post it from mobile!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Anyone know if I need an engineer out to the house to install Multiroom with Sky Q or can I install it myself if they sent out a minibox?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Couple of questions on this.

My mother is currently with Vodafone for BB and Sky for TV. Out of contract on both now for ages.

If Sky refuse to offer this deal as shes an existing customer, could she just cancel with them and then for example, I sign up pretending im a new customer at the address? (even though I dont live there and dont have any sky contract at my own address)

She wants to keep the landline and her broadband is copper DSL so it will remain ****e but its all she can get.

Sky even refused to send her out a new box when I last rang them about 6 months back. Shes still using that standard definition box she got about 8 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

joe123 wrote: »
    Couple of questions on this.

My mother is currently with Vodafone for BB and Sky for TV. Out of contract on both now for ages.

If Sky refuse to offer this deal as shes an existing customer, could she just cancel with them and then for example, I sign up pretending im a new customer at the address? (even though I dont live there and dont have any sky contract at my own address)

She wants to keep the landline and her broadband is copper DSL so it will remain ****e but its all she can get.

Sky even refused to send her out a new box when I last rang them about 6 months back. Shes still using that standard definition box she got about 8 years ago.

Sky told me today an account needs to be closed for at least 12 months before it can be accepted as a new customer

Advertisement