Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

pc7 wrote: »
    Anyone any luck yet with an AIB chargeback at all?

Nothing since June 29th. Made a few phonecalls chasing it up but they keep blaming 'unprecedented demand'. Joke really. Parents had a chargeback sorted with Ulster Bank in under 4 weeks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Nothing since June 29th. Made a few phonecalls chasing it up but they keep blaming 'unprecedented demand'. Joke really. Parents had a chargeback sorted with Ulster Bank in under 4 weeks.

Awful,‘I lodged a complaint with them and got a standard letter back, might see if financial ombudsman can help. It stinks

Augeo wrote: »
    Still waiting on refunds for flights cancelled in June, given the voucher but rejected it.
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    ryan air cancelled my april 2020 flight in march, said they would refund me, then they kept offering me travel vouchers which I rejected a few times. they haven't contacted me in months. anyone else waiting this long for a refund?

.... Our June flights were canceled in May, still haven't received refund.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

For RA get onto chat or dm on twitter restating you want refund and ask for transcripts to be sent to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Blisterman wrote: »
    Applied for a refund with Ryanair on a return flight which had been rescheduled. The total price was €203.94. I got an email today saying

"Dear Customer,

We acknowledge your request for a refund in lieu of a travel voucher for your unused booking.

We confirm that your refund request has been processed back to the form of payment used to pay for your booking. Your issuing bank will take 5-7 working days to process this refund amount back to your account.

The amount refunded to your credit/debit card/method of payment is EUR 11.61

Please note the travel voucher issued has been voided and can no longer be used"

Does anyone know why I haven't been refudned the full amount. And what can I do now?

EDIT:
    Managed to get through to Ryanair Chat, and apparently, because i'd booked using a voucher I'd gotten from an earlier cancelled flight, I'd only be refunded the difference I paid in cash for the earlier flight, and my earlier voucher would be reinstated.
    The problem is the earlier voucher only had a years validity and now expires in April.
    Surely They need to honour the voucher for at least a year from now?

Update on this,
    I submitted a new refund request this time for the original flight. And it now appears to have been accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Blisterman wrote: »
    Update on this,
    I submitted a new refund request this time for the original flight. And it now appears to have been accepted.

I got the same email a couple of days ago.

I finally got my AirEuropa refund, not sure if it is from them direct (as last week they were only on June refunds, mine was end of July), or if it is an AIB chargeback. I did complain to AIB a few weeks ago about the delay so maybe! Either way, just need AL to fully refund one more seat and I am finally done with all my refunds. Its been a long few months, hated having to wait on my own money!
    And again thanks to Paddy for all his help and other posters too.

ETA - Just got a letter from AIB it was them who credited it due to my complaint! So AIB customers get complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fabricator

Just wondering if anybody else had this problem and if so is there a fix.
    When I go into manage my flight on Ryanair and click change my flight its showing that I paid €270 for my existing flight, I paid €320 inc priority and seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Had Flights booked for April with both RA and AL for 6 people

Got the money back from Ryan Air no problem. Aer Lingus refunded me less than 50% of the amount paid for the flights earlier in the year, have messaged them on twitter numerous times, called them a number of times too. Each time to be told it would be sorted in the next few days and nothing happens. Asked to speak to manager / supervisor on last two calls and they would not even afford me that courtesy.

Submitted a claim with small claims court via Swords District Court last week for fee of €25 so will see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

sibersha wrote: »
    Had Flights booked for April with both RA and AL for 6 people

Got the money back from Ryan Air no problem. Aer Lingus refunded me less than 50% of the amount paid for the flights earlier in the year, have messaged them on twitter numerous times, called them a number of times too. Each time to be told it would be sorted in the next few days and nothing happens. Asked to speak to manager / supervisor on last two calls and they would not even afford me that courtesy.

Submitted a claim with small claims court via Swords District Court last week for fee of €25 so will see how that goes.

Same here :( Flight back in March, cancelled, voucher requested, out of a goodwill, still nothing. Every time I call, I told two weeks, it was same two weeks 4 months ago. And they claim on the website they have processed 90% of all the requests - bull****.

• Advertisement

AL refunded me a flight two weeks ago, but only my ticket! And not husbands who was on same booking. Really hope they sort it quickly as had refund for mine in 2 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

pc7 wrote: »
    AL refunded me a flight two weeks ago, but only my ticket! And not husbands who was on same booking. Really hope they sort it quickly as had refund for mine in 2 days!

I remember, when doing a refund for my Ryanair flights, I had to tick a box to say that I wanted a refund for both people named on the flights. It was easy to miss. Maybe there was a similar box to tick on Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I remember, when doing a refund for my Ryanair flights, I had to tick a box to say that I wanted a refund for both people named on the flights. It was easy to miss. Maybe there was a similar box to tick on Aer Lingus?

I did it over the phone as the form wouldn't work, I had one a few months ago done over phone too and it was done properly. I'd say its human error will just ring again today as have case number. Just want it done! so I am done with refunds! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cillian0

I did it, got all my flights refunded at once....

After waiting months to get a human reply to my refund requests I thought of an ingenious way to get a reply in less than 30 days, I simply sent a data access request to the Ryanair DPO email address , surprisingly they replied to me within 6 hours, (if they don't reply within 30 days to your email they can be fined €20 million or 4% of annual global turnover whichever is greater) so they will get back to you with a HUMAN reply within a few days...

Anyway after them sending me back all the data they had on me, I just replied what is the purpose of them holding my data in regards to the refund requests I sent, they replied stating that the refund requests were made by me on x date, I then replied back to them and said that they have gone beyond the Flight Compensation Regulation time line pointing out the date they sent me in my data access request, I then stated that I wanted this to be resolved immediately, they then forwarded my request onto the refunds department and 4 days later I received refunds for all my canceled flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Cillian0 wrote: »
    I did it, got all my flights refunded at once....

Brilliant idea...

If everyone who has an outstanding refund requested there data it might get Ryanair to finally clean up their act on refunds. :)

.... I guess the prospect of a heavy fine focuses the mind wonderfully...

Refund cheques for bookings made through travel agents are drawn on CitiBank Europe in Frankfort.

"Ryanair customers may face charges of up to €100 to cash refund cheques
    People will have to go to bank branch to cash cheques drawn on a German bank"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ryanair-customers-may-face-charges-of-up-to-100-to-cash-refund-cheques-1.4421303

"cash/lodge and there would be a fee of between €20 and €100, depending on what the Germans charged."

This has got to be a new low....

This seems deliberately designed to frustrate customers who used travel agents.

I checked (no pun intended) with the German Bank app N26 but they won't take cheques.

Anyone know anyway of doing this at minimal cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

paddy19 wrote: »
    Refund cheques for bookings made through travel agents are drawn on CitiBank Europe in Frankfort.

"Ryanair customers may face charges of up to €100 to cash refund cheques
    People will have to go to bank branch to cash cheques drawn on a German bank"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ryanair-customers-may-face-charges-of-up-to-100-to-cash-refund-cheques-1.4421303

"cash/lodge and there would be a fee of between €20 and €100, depending on what the Germans charged."

This has got to be a new low....

This seems deliberately designed to frustrate customers who used travel agents.

I checked (no pun intended) with the German Bank app N26 but they won't take cheques.

Anyone know anyway of doing this at minimal cost?

I received a US Dollar Cheque this year and the Credit Union lodged it for me no problem at a very good forex rate also, which they get via Fexco.

I was a frequent flyer and I have had alot of refunds so far this year from just two trips abroad:

From March when the SHTF

Tap Air Portugal via BOI Chargeback, they gave me the voucher runaround so I hit them for a charge back and was successful.

Aer Lingus I had an Aer Lingus TATL cancellation and it took from April until August to refund me, it was messy as I had booked using my Credit Card for an elderly uncle. I eventually got back the money but it took patience and perseverance on my part. GDPR made life difficult and it took an amount of impersonating my uncle until he and thus my Credit Card were successful.

Azul Brazilian I had a flight cancelled on me and subsequently rescheduled to a date like a month later in April, website was beyond useless and the English language was very poor. I got a refund as luckily I had used Paypal and went through their dispute resolution process to for to get the money back.

Post-initial lockdown

British Airways cancelled on me and I rescheduled to Gibraltar instead of Malaga same day over the phone, about a week later that flight also got canned. I managed to arrange a refund over private Twitter DM and the refund process worked fine back to Paypal.

Ryanair flight was rescheduled to a different date and time, took the refund and was entirely automated online. Refunded back to my Paypal again.

Easyjet flight was rescheduled to a different airport and time, there is a big difference between Gatwick and Stansted :rolleyes: took the refund and was entirely automated online. Refund came back to my card same day as Ryanair.

Azul (again) am still awaiting on a refund from the Brazilian airline Azul but they have promised it within 90 days, I am sending in the chargeback form now anyway against them as they don't fill me with confidence.

British Airways (again) flight time change on me causing me to miss my connection via Azul which are a separate ticket & airline, both flights subsequently cancelled and changed so no loss financially to me. I won't be booking a separate self-transfer for a while again after that risk. Went direct to the Twitter DM option and got a cancellation and refund within a few hrs of the DM being received.

A total of 11 cancelled flights out of 13 flights booked, I always opt to pay by Paypal now whenever its available as it gives me that extra fall back protection. This came in especially useful when dealing with Azul airlines the first time around. Always book direct from the airline and avoid screen scrapers and third party sites.

I can't fault Ryanair, Easyjet both had simplistic processes, I got tired of waiting on the phone to British Airways so went the twitter route, it worked perfectly twice. Ryanair the only airline that got me to Spain and back last month on a trip I really needed, one of just 8 flights that day out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Does travel insurance with Ryanair & Easyjet cover cancellation due to covid, have flights booked for April, am I just going to be losing out on more money by purchasing travel insurance?.. or are you still entitled to refund due to covid cancellations without travel insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Happy days!!!

Just before Christmas AIB finished my chargeback claim and gave me back €2.5K.
    Aeroflot told me it will take 3 years according to their new law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My parents foolishly took the Ryanair voucher in April and booked for another destination, to travel in January. January flights cancelled (ex Cork) and they were initially told that the original voucher was void as they used it. They got a new voucher for the additional top up they paid for the new booking. Got through to online chat last week and they said that the original voucher is still valid but expires in April. They are absolutely refusing to convert it to a refund. Is there any hope for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Can anyone tell me if I have a case here?

Basically, booked Aer Lingus flights for Paddy's weekend (13 -16) March to the UK for 3 people. Decided not to travel due to Cononavirus and the fact that the UK didn't seem to have a grip on the situation. Received an email from AL one minute after the outbound flight was scheduled to depart saying I could change the flights. When I got home, their website indicated that the ability to change flights had been available for a week. This was incredibly annoying.

I logged a complaint on 17 March to say that if they had communicated with me when they changed the policy I could have changed the flights. About a week later I was sent a reply saying I could apply for a voucher, which I did. I chased that about 2 weeks later and told to be patient and that it would be processed. I chased it up again on 19 August and told that in fact that I would not be getting a voucher as the flight was before a particular date in March, but I could accept a refund of taxes less an administration fee (this would effectively amount to a refund of €0).

I replied pointing out again that if they had communicated with me when they changed their policy I could have changed my flights. Today I received the same response that they will only refund the taxes less administration fee and to respond to them if I would like to accept it. They ignored my point about lack of communication.

My credit card company say it is too late to accept a claim as it is after 4 months - I pointed out I was waiting for a reply from AL.

Amount lost is €135, so not huge, but to my mind AL's non-communication caused it. Do I have a case and who should I take it up with?

I eventually asked what the tax refund would come to and was told €23. Pleasantly surprised it wasn't zero, and to avoid wasting any more time on it, I accepted. Received €81 back on my card, which works out to be the full fare less 6 x €9 administration fees. I've no idea why they gave me this, but happy with the outcome in the end. I did consider pursuing through the small claims court as someone suggested but the €25 fee (and all the extra paper work) put me off on a relatively small sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Caranica wrote: »
    My parents foolishly took the Ryanair voucher in April and booked for another destination, to travel in January. January flights cancelled (ex Cork) and they were initially told that the original voucher was void as they used it. They got a new voucher for the additional top up they paid for the new booking. Got through to online chat last week and they said that the original voucher is still valid but expires in April. They are absolutely refusing to convert it to a refund. Is there any hope for them?

Hi Caranica, Do I understand from your post that their original voucher is still valid and can be used to re book? I know your parents now want a refund and I'm sorry I've no idea how to answer your question. But I was thinking of booking soon using one of last year's vouchers so it's important to know first if another cancellation wouldn't nullify the voucher. You really have to be careful with Ryanair. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭xlogo

Anybody know what is happening with QuickPark? Sent them some mails on getting refunds but no response and don't know what they are doing.

Still waiting on refunds for flights cancelled in June, given the voucher but rejected it.
    .... Our June flights were canceled in May, still haven't received refund.

Sent them a query on this and they claimed that the voucher hadn't been rejected and that refund will now be processed within 3 weeks.

Caranica wrote: »

EU consumer law and EU 261 in particular offers you protection above the normal terms and conditions an airline specifies.

When you accept a voucher you sign up to new contract where the EU protections are at best hazy. You get these crazy conditions where you have to use the voucher within a short period. The airline wants to just pocket your money!

Your best bet is to try a chargeback based on latest flight date but it will not be easy.

Good luck.

"original voucher is still valid but expires in April" if unused the original voucher gets paid out as cash.

"original voucher is still valid but expires in April" if unused the original voucher gets paid out as cash.

"Originally Posted by Caranica
    They are absolutely refusing to convert it to a refund.

Augeo is right, per Ryanairs terms and conditions:

Travel vouchers can be redeemed for cash at the end of their 12 months’ validity period.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/travel-voucher1#0-0

You could try quoting that at them but I still think chargeback might be easier.

Just document when Ryanair told you they will not give you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Greg81 wrote: »
    Happy days!!!

Just before Christmas AIB finished my chargeback claim and gave me back €2.5K.
    Aeroflot told me it will take 3 years according to their new law.

How long did the charge back with AIB take? We are now waiting months on them to resolve this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

actuar90 wrote: »
    How long did the charge back with AIB take? We are now waiting months on them to resolve this

6-7 months

Advertisement