Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This government is a joke. It might take a year or two for this policy to come in just like the airport quarntine.
    It doesn't really affect me as I don't drink much at home anyway. It will probably get more people going to the pubs if its just as expensive to drink at home.

Didn't some TD's claim that was the point?

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was said last year or a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Suckit wrote: »

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was said last year or a couple of years ago.

There was a point where the switched the excuse from "boosting tourism" to "health reasons". Or the other way around, not sure. They've never really been consistent as to the logic and reasoning.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There was a point where the switched the excuse from "boosting tourism" to "health reasons". Or the other way around, not sure. They've never really been consistent as to the logic and reasoning.

FG literally said word for word in their 2011 manifesto that this was about helping the vintners
    Supporting Irish Pubs: Fine Gael recognises the importance of the Irish pub for tourism, rural jobs and as a social outlet in communities across the country. We will support the local pub by banning the practice of below cost selling on alcohol, particularly by large supermarkets and the impact this has had on alcohol consumption and the viability of pubs.

Nothing about health there

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It was in the FG manifesto at one stage that the purpose of MUP was to promote pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

VinLieger wrote: »
    FG literally said word for word in their 2011 manifesto that this was about helping the vintners

Nothing about health there

This is exactly my point.

In their current manifesto, their support for minimum unit pricing is listed under "universal health care" - and no mention of pubs or tourism.

https://www.finegael.ie/app/themes/finegael/dist/images/ProgrammeforGovernment_Final_16.06.20-1.pdf

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hmm that must be why I've put on a few kilos - alcohol in pubs isn't fattening and has no health effects

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hmm that must be why I've put on a few kilos - alcohol in pubs isn't fattening and has no health effects
    Maybe the 'health benefit' of pubs is the walk back home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Walk home? I just blackout and wake up in bed. :pac:

Especially when you stop off for a kebab on the way :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Simon Harris was the health minister when the minimum alcahol pricing bill was put forward. That was over a year ago at least.
    The youngest member of the Dáil. I'd say he is right craic at party's.
    He nearly lost his seat. He just got in by the skin of his teeth and I reckon it was over this policy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Here they go again, "concerned" over home drinking (despite the corresponding reduction in alcohol consumption...) and surprise surprise minimum pricing is the only solution :rolleyes:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0414/1209959-alcohol-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ohmeha wrote:
    Here they go again, "concerned" over home drinking (despite the corresponding reduction in alcohol consumption...) and surprise surprise minimum pricing is the only solution

Consumption Has rapidly increased over the year, our government has a very poor understanding of our psychological needs, particularly right now, this is a default position, it effectively exonerates them from doing anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's quite simple.

The people who drink too much should reduce their consumption and get help to do so if they need it.

The rest of us should be left alone.

elperello wrote: »
    It's quite simple.

The people who drink too much should reduce their consumption and get help to do so if they need it.

so what happens if you dont realise you drink too much, dont understand your situation, dont know what to do, are dealing with shame and guilt for your behavior, cant afford whats needed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Consumption Has rapidly increased over the year
    It's dropped by 6.5% (per Revenue data) and only 22%* (per CSO data) said their consumption had increased since the start of the pandemic. That's from the report.

*Obviously this framed completely differently in the report as a negative rather than a positive that that 78% had not increased or had reduced consumption!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's dropped by 6.5% (per Revenue data) and only 22%* (per CSO data) said their consumption had increased since the start of the pandemic. That's from the report.

*Obviously this framed completely differently in the report as a negative rather than a positive that that 78% had not increased or had reduced consumption!

i beg to differ on that one, i suspect the numbers arent matching our reality

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

so what happens if you dont realise you drink too much, dont understand your situation, dont know what to do, are dealing with shame and guilt for your behavior, cant afford whats needed.....

Then you need help and should get it.

Making me pay more money to the retail and wholesale drinks trade certainly won't help you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll probably end up either not eating, not paying bills or even committing crimes to get money to buy the now dearer alcohol.

Then you need help and should get it.

Making me pay more money to the retail and wholesale drinks trade certainly won't help you.
    L1011 wrote: »
    You'll probably end up either not eating, not paying bills or even committing crimes to get money to buy the now dearer alcohol.

yup, fcuking around with pricing, certainly wont solve this one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

Wanderer78 wrote:

I think I'll go with the facts rather than your suspicions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

Drinks sponsorship will explode with minimum pricing.
    The drinks companies will spend loads trying to get market share for what would be a very high margin product

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Revenue and CSO aren't to be trusted? Wow.

Even the reports authors are happy to use the 22.2% (as nearly a quarter as they don't understand rounding :rolleyes: ), and revenue data is revenue data.

Consumption Has rapidly increased over the year

Wrong

Alcohol consumption is substantially down.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It's funny Ray D'Arcy used all the worrying aspects of the report

Never once mentioned consumption being down 6.5% and still hasn't

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Here they go again, "concerned" over home drinking (despite the corresponding reduction in alcohol consumption...) and surprise surprise minimum pricing is the only solution :rolleyes:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0414/1209959-alcohol-report/

I love this part of the reporting

"
    The report quoted figures from the Revenue Commissioners which showed that alcohol consumption had only dropped by 6.5% last March despite pubs being largely closed over the previous year."

Consumption is down 6.5% during the worse health crisis of our lives

I wonder if it increases 6.5% would the report state Consumption had only increased 6.5%? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

You will keep drinking notwithstanding minimum pricing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    It's funny Ray D'Arcy used all the worrying aspects of the report

Never once mentioned consumption being down 6.5% and still hasn't

Anything that isn't centred around running, porridge and his own kids is bad news, or an angle to make it bad news will be found.

atives
    It's quite simple.

Incorrect, home consumption has increased but overall consumption is down.

But the vintners and the nimbys in college of physicians aren't gonna let the facts get in the way of their agenda driven narrative which is why we end up with garbage journalism like this.

Antares35 wrote: »
    You will keep drinking notwithstanding minimum pricing.

Nobody who is for this legislation seems to understand anything about addiction

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    atives

Incorrect, home consumption has increased but overall consumption is down.

But the vintners and the nimbys in college of physicians aren't gonna let the facts get in the way of their agenda driven narrative which is why we end up with garbage journalism like this.

Concerted effort from the media today both RTE and Newstalk

Downplaying reduction in consumption by either glossing over it (sure it's only 6.5% which is terribly small) or not mentioning it at all

Funny they never fail to mention minimum pricing

Advertisement