Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Thargor wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good book about the birth of America please, say from the colonies to the 7 Year War to the end of slavery, or if that's too broad just the War of Independence? I don't want a textbook but I do want accuracy and detail. In Pharos Army by Tobias Wolfe is a good example, personal stories as well as the politics.

Albion’s Seed is supposed to be very good, but Ithink it deals mainly with the European settling and the colonies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Can anyone recommend a good book about the birth of America please, say from the colonies to the 7 Year War to the end of slavery, or if that's too broad just the War of Independence? I don't want a textbook but I do want accuracy and detail. In Pharos Army by Tobias Wolfe is a good example, personal stories as well as the politics.

I love Jill Lepore's books on American history. I read her The Story of America earlier this year and loved it. It's not a straight-up history book, so it won't give you a narrative of various events. Rather, it's a series of essays, little vignettes into various moments of American history - it would certainly fit with your 'personal stories' request. It goes right into the twentieth century. I particularly loved the essays on Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine, and the seventeenth-century pilgrims.

She's recently published a new 'big' history of America, These Truths. I haven't read it yet but really want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The Postman - David Brin
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/889284.The_Postman

A post-apocalyptic, dystopian science fiction novel which is more to do with Idealism, civilisation and its symbols. No zombies or mutants (so far anyway but I don't think they would fit in this world)
    I'm about halfway through and its humming along although its been a little predictable in spots. Enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

WrenBoy wrote: »
    The Postman - David Brin
    This was made in to a movie by and starring Kevin Costner, and Brin is generally happy with the result, but he's a bit unhappy at the moment since there's a new video game called Death Stranding that appears to borrow from the book quite heavily, down to lines of dialogue.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

bnt wrote: »
    This was made in to a movie by and starring Kevin Costner, and Brin is generally happy with the result, but he's a bit unhappy at the moment since there's a new video game called Death Stranding that appears to borrow from the book quite heavily, down to lines of dialogue.

Funny you say that I haven't played Death Stranding but Im aware of the plot and thought there were similarities popping up alright. I'll check out that movie when I'm finished, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

The one to get:
    Howard Zinn - A People's History of The United States
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2767.A_People_s_History_of_the_United_States?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=p0jsVVJFqL&rank=1

The first page is as follows:

qcMUm1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Just finished The Sinner by Tess Gerristen and will be moving on to book 4 of the Rizzoli & Isles series.

Re-reading The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Reading Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

Very easy to read.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Reading Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

Very easy to read.

Had always meant to read that again, I need to get unstuck in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ipso wrote: »
    Had always meant to read that again, I need to get unstuck in time.
    So it goes.

I have just finished Body Double by Tess Gerristen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

'Teach us to sit still' T. Parks.
    It's not too far down the namby-pamby road and an interesting insight into the world at large.

Dan.

“Wilding” by Isabella Tree (honest), the return of nature to a British farm. Fascinating read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just finished The Perks Of Being A Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky.) Didn't really enjoy it to be honest. I got the impression the author had little genuine understanding of half of what he was talking about. And it reads like a Judy Blume novel (not a good thing!)

Now about to start Stephen King's The Institute - I've heard good things about this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Reading “A history of Christianity” by Diarmaid mc cullough. Not religious at a all but it’s interesting to understand the ideology which has more or less defined western civilization for the last 2000 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Currently enjoying "Recovering" by Richie Sadlier, definitely recommend it, gripping, honest, & raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Currently reading “Things In Jars” by Jess Kid.

Set in Victorian London and featuring a female Irish sleuth as its main character, it involves the supernatural, dodgy surgeons, mythical creatures and plenty more.

I’m about 70% through and it’s been a chore to read. The over descriptive narrative absolutely destroys it. If a bird appears, two pages are dedicated to what it looks like etc.

The nearest I’ve ever come to a dnf but I will persevere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

adox wrote: »
    Currently reading “Things In Jars” by Jess Kid.

Set in Victorian London and featuring a female Irish sleuth as its main character, it involves the supernatural, dodgy surgeons, mythical creatures and plenty more.

I’m about 70% through and it’s been a core to read. The offer descriptive narrative absolutely destroys it. If a bird appears, two pages are dedicated to what it looks like etc.

The nearest I’ve ever come to a dnf but I will persevere.

I don’t understand the attitude. If you are not enjoying a book out it down. There are so many good books to read and life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭jack747

Panic and anxiety by dr Harry Barry . Very Good so far but not used to reading books tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just finished Dancing In The Dark, book four of the My Struggle series by Karl Ove Knaussgaard. Anyone read any of these? Sometimes I feel they are some of the best novels I've ever read, then long stretches can seem repetitive and go nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm really enjoying Stephen King's The Institute. I haven't been a fan of most of his stuff in recent years, but this is him back to his absolute best. It's as good as (if not better than) any of his early classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Started on Ulysses yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm really enjoying Stephen King's The Institute. I haven't been a fan of most of his stuff in recent years, but this is him back to his absolute best. It's as good as (if not better than) any of his early classics.

Good to hear. Got it for Christmas, had never even heard of it. Also received Billy Connolly’s “Tall Tales and Wee Stories” which I’m looking forward to.

Have had a bit of a readers’ block for a year or two which I’m planning to remedy in 2020...a big backlog to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I don’t understand the attitude. If you are not enjoying a book out it down. There are so many good books to read and life is too short.

I got an advance copy off the publisher so kinda feel obliged to finish and review it.

Started on Ulysses yesterday.

We'll either see you in a month when you're done or in a few days announcing your next book :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Currently reading The Irish Princess by Elizabeth Chadwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Currently reading The Irish Princess by Elizabeth Chadwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Idiot boy

The Hooligan......utterly gripping....even if u hate combat sports. .

• Advertisement

Recently finished both Vanish and The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerristen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement