Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asus Transformer Book T100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Do out think most people need the power of an i5 to check e-mail and write Word documents?

I think there exists a 10" computer that can function as a primary device. You tried to say
    Sorry, but there isn't a 10 inch laptop on earth that would be usable as a primary computer

and yet the surface pro suits that role well. That is my only point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Overheal wrote: »
    I think there exists a 10" computer that can function as a primary device. You tried to say

and yet the surface pro suits that role well. That is my only point.
    But since you cannot say why most people would need an i5 CPU then you are really admitting that most people could certainly use a T100 as a primary PC just as well as they could a Surface Pro. Or neither would be suitable. There's all of 0.5 inches difference in the display size. And the T100 actually comes with a keyboard as standard, unlike the Surface.

http://liliputing.com/2013/10/using-asus-transformer-book-t100-desktop-pc-video.html

Here's a whole article where someone does exactly that. It's easily powerful enough for almost all consumer use.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Sorry, but there isn't a 10 inch laptop on earth that would be usable as a primary computer so it's a little ingenious to hold this against the T100.
    http://liliputing.com/2013/10/using-asus-transformer-book-t100-desktop-pc-video.html

Here's a whole article where someone does exactly that. It's easily powerful enough for almost all consumer use.
    Uhm... are you confused, miscommunicating, or just being disingenuous for the sake of being argumentative? :L

Telchak wrote: »
    Uhm... are you confused, miscommunicating, or just being disingenuous for the sake of being argumentative? :L
    I like the way you steadfastly refuse to explain how any of these at all describe my posts. You just make a little list and hope for the best.
    Almost as if you simply can't or something, isn't it?

• Advertisement

This is incredibly simple, though perhaps not simple enough.
    I don't think a 10 inch screen is any use as a primary PC, but people have used a T100 with every bit as much "success" as a primary PC as other people have with a Surface Pro.
    So why should the T100 be unsuitable but the Surface Pro is supposedly OK?

Well, here is why some people might think so:

Intel Atom Processor (1084pts), 2GB RAM, 1366x768 resolution 10.1", SoC graphics rated beneath Ivy Bridge Intel HD

vs.

Core i5-4200U (3369pts), 4GB RAM, 1920x1080 resolution 10.6", Intel HD 4400 Haswell Graphics

Which seems fairly self explanatory. The T100 would be less suitable because of a lower resolution screen and a slower Bay Trail Atom SoC CPU. It's essentially a netbook, and you would not find a full size laptop in that low of a spec. Conversely, you will find plenty of Ultrabooks with the same specs as the surface pro. The only thing differentiating the Surface Pro from an Ultrabook is the form factor: the guts are all the same. Most Haswell Ultrabooks ship with 4GB RAM, the i5-4200U, and 128GB of SSD. They also typically have 13" screens yet have the same 1920x1080 resolution (though higher specs exist, like the Yoga 2 Pro).

And sure, I personally wouldn't throw it all away and use a T100 as my main. I just wouldn't. But some people live on just an ipad. Compare the Bay Trail Atom SoC to other tablets, and it performs quite well. In the world of tablets is one tough guppie (Check it out: http://wccftech.com/intel-atom-z3000-series-bay-trail-socs-performance-lineup-22nm-silvermont-cores/ blows away competitors like the Tegra 4 found in the Surface 2), but if you're looking for a PC it's still small potatoes.

If you only have 350 to spend on a PC I certainly would tell you the T100 is one of the best values on the market this season, but I would not recommend it for everyone.

I however remain baffled that you've stopped arguing that no such laptop exists on earth :D

I however remain baffled that you've stopped arguing that no such laptop exists on earth :D
    If you'd read my posts you'll notice I haven't. I said I don't consider any of 10 inch screen suitable as a primary PC, no matter what resolution the screen is or who else things they are. Also, you still haven't told us why going from a SoC to an i5 would make any difference to 99% of people. Why is Bay Trail "too slow" but i5 "is fast enough" to be a primary PC? For who? Doing what? Checking Facebook and writing up a CV?
    All you're really left with is the difference between 10.1 and 10.6 inch screens... apologies if I don't think a half inch on the diagonal can turn a netbook into a workstation.

I'm not the one saying it, I just explained why some people might.

Thats enough for you. I'm done entertaining your pedantic queries.

I'm not the one saying it, I just explained why some people might.

Thats enough for you. I'm done entertaining your pedantic queries.
    You entertained alright but didn't actually answer anything!
    Likewise, I'm done waiting for you to actually bother explaining why an i5 that most people will never come close to needing and 0.5 inches of screen makes something a primary computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Hi,
    I've been looking at the T100 on Amazon Germany, does anyone know if there are any disadvantages to buying it from there? Will there be a German keyboard, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

mrroboito wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been looking at the T100 on Amazon Germany, does anyone know if there are any disadvantages to buying it from there? Will there be a German keyboard, for example?

The keyboard will definitly be German, you would be better off paying the little extra to get it from the UK. I'm speaking from experience :D

AntiVirus wrote: »
    The keyboard will definitly be German, you would be better off paying the little extra to get it from the UK. I'm speaking from experience :D
    does the UK version have the 500gb hard drive

does the UK version have the 500gb hard drive

The one I got from Amazon doesn't have it but it does have the correct keyboard :)

I had almost convinced myself that my girlfriend wouldn't mine the German QWERTZ keyboard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's a bit of a mess if you don't know where your keys are, but I'd prefer it to the US layout as at least you have the right number of keys.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_keyboard_layout

Edit: BTW, if it were me, I'd just set it to the Irish layout. Everything should be in the right place, but just the wrong thing on the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

I think I'll hold off on getting the German one but I can only find the 32GB version of the T100 on Amazon UK, has anyone found the 64GB version there?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Been on look put for tablet or this xmas present. Nexus 10, surface or Note 10.1. But with no shipping time fot t100. Luckily saw them on pcworld website yest went shop in cork and they had 4 in storeroom. 389e 32gb.

Must say all kicks ass of surface pro at that price. Great screen. Keyboards useful. Usb 3.0. Sd card. Chrome carary beta with pinch and zoom. Full windows 8.1 and I think might have meant to have office 2013 code must root it out.

Blown away as quality if it...
    Plus got 25e ms voucher so redeemed on xbox live store. Result!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Is there any place where I can see an image of the actual keyboard they'd sell? All the images I find online are the stock images released by ASUS that show the US keyboard. Does anyone have an image of the version that I'd get from PcWorld in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Got a friend of mine to bring the 64gb over from America for me. $400, although I almost got it for about $350 but just missed the stock when they were that price.

I'm currently using my regular phone charger to power this, and the battery is at 0%. I left it charging for about 5 hours last night and I had just enough power to be able to do the Windows 8 setup and get to the start screen. Prior to that the tablet kept powering down when I was setting up. I haven't used the charger that came with the tablet as it's for a US plug. Should my regular phone charger work fine, or do I need to buy a more powerful USB charger? Just wondering whether there's something wrong with the battery. I've left it charging at home when I'm in work so hopefully it'll have at least charged a little by the time I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Got a friend of mine to bring the 64gb over from America for me. $400, although I almost got it for about $350 but just missed the stock when they were that price.

I'm currently using my regular phone charger to power this, and the battery is at 0%. I left it charging for about 5 hours last night and I had just enough power to be able to do the Windows 8 setup and get to the start screen. Prior to that the tablet kept powering down when I was setting up. I haven't used the charger that came with the tablet as it's for a US plug. Should my regular phone charger work fine, or do I need to buy a more powerful USB charger? Just wondering whether there's something wrong with the battery. I've left it charging at home when I'm in work so hopefully it'll have at least charged a little by the time I get home.

some cheaper microusb chargers would only be 1 amp and that might not be enough for a laptop. It may not even charge at all, never mind just slowly. If you dig out a branded Samsung or htc charger you might have better luck as these are usually 1.5amp. I would avoid using the US charger they supplied, just in case, but have a look at the plug all the same to see what the output details are.

• Advertisement

some cheaper microusb chargers would only be 1 amp and that might not be enough for a laptop. It may not even charge at all, never mind just slowly. If you dig out a branded Samsung or htc charger you might have better luck as these are usually 1.5amp. I would avoid using the US charger they supplied, just in case, but have a look at the plug all the same to see what the output details are.

Was charging with the charger I got with my HTC One. Will have a look at what the charge is when I get home before getting too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Check out the US plug, 99% of them are dual voltage (makes it easier to account for all the markets and travellers), one for my lenovo K1 was and has worked like a charm for the last 2 years. Check the voltage on the charger, if its 110 to 240v you should be laughing. If in doubt you can always check with an electrician if you happen to know one.

Google revels the charger is 2A, most phone chargers would be around 1A, some even less, a USB port on a PC is typically 0.5A. You could also possible look at chargers for other gadgets like android usb sticks etc, its possible one might be 2A.

Charged fine when I used a converter and used the US charger I got with the tablet. This thing is so much better than the Android transformer I used to have. Once people get on board with Windows 8 and the app store becomes less shít, it'll be by far the best platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Got the last one in any PC World around or near Dublin, actually in Naas PCWorld
    Had it ordered for collect but spent ages in the store as they couldn't find it but eventually did.

I think it's absolutely great value for the price, I've already upgraded to pro (spare) and wmc (10e) but can't use wmc for live tv via dvblink just yet as I'll need a decent 64gb sdcard for the live buffer, used a spare key for office pro cos I wanted outlook and it's flying.

First thing I did was update the bios to 2.20 via winflash and accept two small asus system updates then applied the brightness tweaks.

The keyboard is of course cramped but I find it fine, touchscreen is very responsive and smooth and I agree with the above poster that once the 8 and 10 inch FULL win8.1 market explodes with more choice and good pricepoints therefore more uptake, the Win8 ecosystem blows the other two out of the water for productivity and everything else (99% of major apps are in store)

I would have loved a Surface Pro 2 (the Surface build is the best in the world IMO) but it's just too expensive, this machine even at the extortionate Irish/UK price (379e with 25e MS voucher) vs US price (much less) is a real bargain for what you get.
    Build isn't premium but it's not shabby either.

Got one of these as one of my presents for my girlfriend who is a complete Apple head and she loves it. Her old iPad doesn't get a look it any more! Installed office pro on it and grabit for downloading tv shows and it all runs fast and smooth as butter.

I got her a 64GB Sd card but i will get her the 500GB keyboard when they are out in the uk. I have to say its a great bargin for the money 😊

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I got her a 64GB Sd card but i will get her the 500GB keyboard when they are out in the uk. I have to say its a great bargin for the money 😊
    Where have you heard that these will be available as a separate purchase?

Where have you heard that these will be available as a separate purchase?

I haven't but they will its just a matter of time.

Having problems playing video directly off the SD card. I have to copy them to the on board storage for them to play properly. Have tried the built in metro video player and vlc, same problem. Quite surprised at this as my Android transformer could handle this no problem, would have thought windows would be fine with this. Anybody else find the same problem? It's a class 10 card. Not super fast but should be good enough.

Having problems playing video directly off the SD card. I have to copy them to the on board storage for them to play properly. Have tried the built in metro video player and vlc, same problem. Quite surprised at this as my Android transformer could handle this no problem, would have thought windows would be fine with this. Anybody else find the same problem? It's a class 10 card. Not super fast but should be good enough.

No problem playing them on my girlfriends one. You can jump to any part of the film and it continues playing them immediately. 64gb class 10 card as well

• Advertisement

Is it a branded Class 10? So many takes out there.

Advertisement