Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus Transformer Book T100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

couldn't find the transformer book that ships with office to ireland. Actually finding it difficult to even track one down. Komplett had it but are out of stock now.

Probably gonna go with the surface anyway, perhaps surface 2 if my budget allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

@Overheal
    None of what you've said above means that mirco USB is faulted. Yes they made it smaller, I can't imagine why they would make it any bigger? As for being cheap to manufacture, I can't imagine how its any cheaper than any other form I'd say its more to do with being a common standard. I'd say most posters on here have products that use mini USB and most if any problems they have had with those devices are not related to a faulted mini USB.

One of the main reasons Mirco USB was developed was to replace mini USB because of its poor insertion lifetime. It has a much higher insertion life span than its predecessor.

As for why Apple don't use Mirco USB its simply down to the fact that Mirco USB doesn't transmit audio signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,758 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

AntiVirus wrote: »
    @Overheal
    None of what you've said above means that mirco USB is faulted. Yes they made it smaller, I can't imagine why they would make it any bigger? As for being cheap to manufacture, I can't imagine how its any cheaper than any other form I'd say its more to do with being a common standard. I'd say most posters on here have products that use mini USB and most if any problems they have had with those devices are not related to a faulted mini USB.

One of the main reasons Mirco USB was developed was to replace mini USB because of its poor insertion lifetime. It has a much higher insertion life span than its predecessor.
    I never said it was "faulted" I am simply pointing out that there are more robust interfaces out there. You are correct, Mini USB isn't any better and USB-A doesn't suit the purpose in all cases. I'm pointing out that when a competitor offers something like a magnetic attaching charger port, I would lean toward that.
    As for why Apple don't use Mirco USB its simply down to the fact that Mirco USB doesn't transmit audio signals.
    That's a side issue but sure. The 30-pin allowed for Audio and Video as well. Lightning does not. In order to make HDMI work for instance, the Dongle includes an Airplay receiver chip. Since the lightning port cant transmit video, you are streaming the information wirelessly over the 2 inch gap from the dongle and your iDevice.

More bad news for Micro USB: the Chromebook 11 sales suspended while google addresses an issue that is causing the micro USB charging cables to overheat. http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/13/hp-chromebook-11-sales-on-hold-overheating-microusb-chargers-to-blame/ for the moment though this seems to be a problem with just the included cable, not the method of charging itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Overheal wrote: »
    I never said it was "faulted" I am simply pointing out that there are more robust interfaces out there.
    OK, I think at this stage you might offer some hard evidence to back this up? Gut feelings aren't all that much use except for yourself, and I don't know you from Adam to trust your opinion without some backing.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    OK, I think at this stage you might offer some hard evidence to back this up? Gut feelings aren't all that much use except for yourself, and I don't know you from Adam to trust your opinion without some backing.
    Then don't trust it. I can't violate customer privacy beyond telling you I have seen devices come in with broken Micro USB ports, they are unable to charge their gadgets, and if/when the OEM denies their warranty cover, they are left buying a replacement product or attempting to have the other one serviced for an additional fee. Most warranties are pretty fair about covering these issues but not all do, and there is still the problem of what you have left, past the duration of the warranty.

Beyond that why do you require proof of common sense? And why do I have to list examples? Go google it. Plenty of hits out there from other forums about people asking how to repair their charging ports, lifehacker tips on how to repair them, plenty of editorials and reviews etc. saying the exact same thing. I'll give you one, and you can research the rest yourself:

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/12/hardware-comparison-lightning-connector-vs-microusb-connector.html

"Speaking of durability, microUSB is notoriously fragile. I frankly still don’t understand how it has managed to become a standard, as it has to be one of the worst connector designs ever devised. I treat my devices well, and have never had any device-side microUSB connector fail on me, but that almost seems to be the exception. I see and hear people complain about broken microUSB equipment all the time, and I’ve had several accessories- including an official Samsung HDMI adapter- have faulty connectors. That’s just with a phone, and when you start dealing with tablets, the strain on the connector becomes ever greater."

I don't have much interest in being dragged into a pedantic side-argument, when it's a pretty straightforward claim. I have no interest in argumentum ad hominem, either. If you disagree, simply disagree - you're more than welcome to. All I offer is my personal opinion and advice, and that advice is that when given a choice between two devices, I consider Micro USB to be a detracting factor in my decision process.

• Advertisement

Then don't trust it.
    You could have just said "I don't have any evidence at all actually."
    Asking me to Google to get stuff to support your theory... that's a right joke that is! You think if you get a match it proves they are dodgy?
    "micro usb problem" - 17,200,000 results
    "apple dock problem" - 10,900,000 results
    Now I guess since there are about 10 times as many micro USB connectors out there we can conclusively prove that micro USB is far more reliable than the Apple dock connector. I've never seen one break. I don't run a repair shop but I've seen hundreds of them and nobody ever mentioned a problem.
    BTW, thanks for specifically allowing me to disagree with you. I really really needed your permission there.

"Beyond that why do you require proof of common sense?"

One of the most widely used non-argument arguments on earth. Well done on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah enough of that crap. I'm thinking of picking one of these up from the US as it's only $380 for the 64gb model. Warranty aside what would be the downside of doing this? My android transformer has a special usb charger that it needs, it must be a higher voltage than your regular usb charger because the tablet won't charge if you plug it into my standard phone charger. Sourcing one of these with a UK plug would be a pain in the ass if I had to. Seeing as we're all well aware at this stage that this tab uses micro usb, will it charge off a regular usb charger?

I think most phone chargers are 5V 1A, where most tablet ones are 5V 2A (like the T100). You'd probably have to check the spec on the plug.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    You could have just said "I don't have any evidence at all actually."
    I could have, but that would be a lie. I'm not sure what kind of proof you require, however. Either way, I can not state as a fact "Plug A is more robust than Plug B", other than to offer the opinion that I would prefer plug A to plug B due to personal experience. I never claimed anything, empirically.
    Asking me to Google to get stuff to support your theory... that's a right joke that is! You think if you get a match it proves they are dodgy?
    "micro usb problem" - 17,200,000 results
    "apple dock problem" - 10,900,000 results
    Now I guess since there are about 10 times as many micro USB connectors out there we can conclusively prove that micro USB is far more reliable than the Apple dock connector. I've never seen one break. I don't run a repair shop but I've seen hundreds of them and nobody ever mentioned a problem.
    BTW, thanks for specifically allowing me to disagree with you. I really really needed your permission there.
    Retry that search result with quotation marks. Apple Dock, broad search of Apple+Dock, and Problem, will pull every result relating to any speaker dock, or accessory whether related to the interface or not (including "I have a problem with the power plug on my apple dock" and "There is a problem on my Apple Macbook with the Dock [Taskbar]). Using "Apple Dock Problem", you only get 4 results, with this thread being one of them

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+dock+problem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=%22apple+dock+problem%22&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial

Whereas the same query with "Micro USB Problem", exact quotation, narrows down the field to 433,000 hits

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+dock+problem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=%22micro+USB+problem%22&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial

No need to get all bent out of shape dude - that's what a micro USB ports are apparently for. But to answer what you're being bent out of shape about: No. There is no central organization that tracks and monitors issues or problems with charging ports on electronics so it is from a purely statistical standpoint, impossible to reach an accurate conclusion on which design is going to work best. However, I stand by my original point: I would consider the use of a Micro USB charging port to be a negative deciding factor when purchasing my electronics.

Now: I believe this thread was about the ASUS T100?

• Advertisement

I could have, but that would be a lie. I'm not sure what kind of proof you require, however. Either way, I can not state as a fact "Plug A is more robust than Plug B", other than to offer the opinion that I would prefer plug A to plug B due to personal experience. I never claimed anything, empirically.
    The kind of proof I require is, well, any at all. You don't have it.
    Retry that search result with quotation marks
    Er, I only did that as a joke, because only a fool would try to to prove things with numbers of results from a Google search. You're not very good at spotting sarcasm at you?
    No need to get all bent out of shape dude - that's what a micro USB ports are apparently for. But to answer what you're being bent out of shape about: No. There is no central organization that tracks and monitors issues or problems with charging ports on electronics so it is from a purely statistical standpoint, impossible to reach an accurate conclusion on which design is going to work best. However, I stand by my original point: I would consider the use of a Micro USB charging port to be a negative deciding factor when purchasing my electronics.
    a.k.a the longest winded way of saying "I haven't any evidence. Other than that I really like Apple."
    Now: I believe this thread was about the ASUS T100?
    It was until you claimed micro USB ports were unreliable and fragile and then failed to back up this assertion with anything other than "I said so."

Dan, you like the Micro USB port.

Thank you for your opinion.
    that I really like Apple."
    I do own an iPhone, but my assertion has a lot more to do with other tablets available with alternative connectors. Particularly the Microsoft Surface tablets, which I own both the RT and the Pro; each having a very wear-friendly magnetic charging port, and a very wear-friendly magnetic keyboard docking port. Compared to the TF100, the TF100 has a mechanical charging port and a mechanical docking mechanism, which inherently are prone to more wear and tear than mechanisms that have no free-floating physical connectors and protrusions.

For the same price a Surface RT tablet is a pretty comparable buy to the TF100 but the buyer needs to factor in the pros and cons of each, as discussed. If you need something within the budget that is essentially a netbook that can run x86/x64 programs, then TF100 is still a strong contender.

Yeah enough of that crap. I'm thinking of picking one of these up from the US as it's only $380 for the 64gb model. Warranty aside what would be the downside of doing this? My android transformer has a special usb charger that it needs, it must be a higher voltage than your regular usb charger because the tablet won't charge if you plug it into my standard phone charger. Sourcing one of these with a UK plug would be a pain in the ass if I had to. Seeing as we're all well aware at this stage that this tab uses micro usb, will it charge off a regular usb charger?
    It should. Definitely not a problem either if you charge it from a USB 3.0 port on a PC. 2.1 Amp chargers are not as common as your bog standard but they aren't hard to come by either. As mentioned in a few other places in the site avoid suspiciously inexpensive ones, as the ones flying out of China shave a lot of cost by removing a lot of the hardware from them that makes them tend not to catch fire, overvolt your device, or even explode (which for a tiny charger, is a very loud POP, something flying off the wall, and smoke). Any cell phone place should have them in stock, don't be shocked if they cost €15-30

Dan, you like the Micro USB port.
    Another fallacious argument to go with your common-sense one.
    Which part of "can you show me any evidence micro USB ports are unreliable" did you translate as "I really like micro USB ports."?
    You're the one getting emotional about inanimate technology here, not me.

don't be shocked if they cost €15-30
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Overheal and Dan_Solo; kindly tone it down a bit, especially on something as trivial as this.

The t100 does take ages to charge apparently due to the micro usb cable. The supplied cable is also really short too so would probably need to buy a good quality longer one. Thicker cables offer quicker charging.

Just make sure it's gold or another high grade material and be cautioned that might be the problem they're having with the chrome book 11, the cables are overheating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Has anyone seen one of these on display in any shops? I'm very tempted to pick one up to mess about with.

If someone does see one post back and let us know, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Any reviews on the ones with the hard drives in keyboard dock? Are they a lot chunkier?

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Any reviews on the ones with the hard drives in keyboard dock? Are they a lot chunkier?
    Since there's no battery in the dock, I can't see why there wouldn't be room in there for a 2.5 HDD. It'd be cool if the same space could be used for a second battery too, a bit like the modular HD/DVD/battery setup on the old Latitudes.

Keyboard isn't thick enough for that and I haven't heard of any model that has additionally memory in the keyboard base.

I have seen customers rip the dock right off the tablet without hitting the release tab though, so that's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Has anyone seen one of these on display in any shops? I'm very tempted to pick one up to mess about with.

If someone does see one post back and let us know, thanks :)

Harvey Norman has similar model that is actual last year's one. So slower and bulkier I guess but still same idea. If you will like that one you will love current model. They are great for use as tablet or studies/office work device. I wouldn't trust any heavy tasks to it though.

there is no version with a hard-drive. user who posted that was confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

glasso wrote: »
    there is no version with a hard-drive. user who posted that was confused.

They're selling them here with an SSD and hard drive, with no mention (I think) of where that hard drive is (whether internal or external).

Telchak wrote: »
    They're selling them here with an SSD and hard drive, with no mention (I think) of where that hard drive is (whether internal or external).

ok I stand corrected if it's a real product.... saw no mention of hd in the online reviews. wonder if this is just an external drive...
    the line
    "500GB HDD hard drive (optional)" leads me to believe that it's external and that also you need to pay extra for it.

seems to be official then. wonder what the effect on battery life will be. from reviews of this device in general there seems to be a fair bit of negative comment on the build quality -

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T100TA-C1-GR-10-1-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen/dp/B00FFJ0HUE

Its polycarbonate (aka. plastic that wants to sound high tech), what do you expect.

Also like I said I watched as someone tried to remove the base without the release being pressed and it gave up far too easily. I'm also worried about the hinge in general (and frankly the hinges of most/all removable x2 hybrids), they all look like they will snap/break something from over-extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Its polycarbonate (aka. plastic that wants to sound high tech), what do you expect.

Also like I said I watched as someone tried to remove the base without the release being pressed and it gave up far too easily. I'm also worried about the hinge in general (and frankly the hinges of most/all removable x2 hybrids), they all look like they will snap/break something from over-extension.

You do worry a lot :-)

Mine arrived anyway. So will post my thoughts later.

Advertisement