Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hatred towards the word MATE

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

stovelid wrote: »
    I say it sometimes. It's just a social nicety. You know - that arcane custom where you attempt to be courteous and friendly to strangers, even if you don't know them?

If you were actually brave enough to go around answering I'm not your mate to people, you'd get the response that you deserve.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭zillmere

I would advise you to never go to Australia if it bothers you that much. I say it all the time when I am home but I don't often say it to Irish people because it is not used here but I will use it if is is said to me first.

If you did go to Australia, I doubt that it would take long for people to start calling you something more apt than mate.

zillmere wrote: »
    I would advise you to never go to Australia if it bothers you that much. I say it all the time when I am home but I don't often say it to Irish people because it is not used here but I will use it if is is said to me first.

If you did go to Australia, I doubt that it would take long for people to start calling you something more apt than mate.

You obviously didnt read through the post.

This was talked about alreadyand I said it was more the Irish use of the word. The Australian and English versions have already been discussed and it was highlighted by myself and others that they are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

orestes wrote: »
    I'm not your mate, friend

I'm not your friend, pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

owlwink wrote: »
    :o

Didn't mean that to sound threatening btw. Just meant you'd surely get a bad reaction from some people if you actually said I'm not your mate to them.

This was talked about alreadyand I said it was more the Irish use of the word. The Australian and English versions have already been discussed and it was highlighted by myself and others that they are different.

Any Irish person I know uses it in the same way. Is there a different way?

For me, it's just a harmless way of being nice in certain situations. For example, if you see somebody in a queue at football that you don't know to talk to, you just say alright mate.

Surely anything that bucks the trend of being rude or offhand to strangers is to be welcomed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

A recent thing I have noticed is people seem to be using the word MATE alot more. Personally it really frustrates me when I hear it being used in its new context. There is something really arrogant and annoying about its use.

Can anyone shed some light on the words new uses and any experiences with it... Thanks

I agree with you totally.
    I hate it,especially as it's use is becoming more prevalent now, and tends to be used by persons who(in my case anyway) are the polar opposite to what I would socially associate with, much less befriend.

If some randomer refers to me as 'mate' I will always respond by referring to him as 'pal' or 'bud' or 'boss'

Thanks for dah mate
    No worries Pal
    See ya mate
    Right Bud.

Try it, you may like it.

I agree with you totally.
    I hate it,especially as it's use is becoming more prevalent now, and tends to be used by persons who(in my case anyway) are the polar opposite to what I would socially associate with, much less befriend.

If some randomer refers to me as 'mate' I will always respond by referring to him as 'pal' or 'bud' or 'boss'

Thanks for dah mate
    No worries Pal
    See ya mate
    Right Bud.

Try it, you may like it.

nice one pal...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Keep away from Australia. If you dont like that word you wont be too happy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I never mind it in Australia,seems a lot more genuine from them tbh.

Over here it seems to have a kind of a threat to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

latchyco wrote: »
    Australians always greet complete stangers with ' G'day mate ' to .

True, we're walking cliches.
    I think using the word 'mate' singularly is still different though. Extra words add extra meanings.

Aussies do that too. I think the influence of Australian soap operas is at work in making 'mate' more commonly used here.

• Advertisement

True, we're walking cliches.

Aussies do that too. I think the influence of Australian soap operas is at work in making 'mate' more commonly used here.

Or like mentioned earlier in the post is it more an English influence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Or like mentioned earlier in the post is it more an English influence?

Combination of both, I reckon. Irish TV schedules are littered with UK and Aussie soaps and its used ad nauseum in both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement