Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hatred towards the word MATE

Options
  • 15-12-2008 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

A recent thing I have noticed is people seem to be using the word MATE alot more. Personally it really frustrates me when I hear it being used in its new context. There is something really arrogant and annoying about its use.

Can anyone shed some light on the words new uses and any experiences with it... Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If it bothers you so much you could always use M8 instead . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

latchyco wrote: »
    If it bothers you so much you could always use M8 instead . ;)

It seems a little less rough in that form.

Whenever people say it to me I just feel like saying "I'm not your mate" straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Jaysus, get out more will ya! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You might get better responses if you post a poll in AH.

I don't mind people saying mate so long as every single sentence doesn't end in it.

Also, it's much more of an English/London thing than an Irish thing.

• Advertisement

You might get better responses if you post a poll in AH.

I don't mind people saying mate so long as every single sentence doesn't end in it.

Also, it's much more of an English/London thing than an Irish thing.

I suppose that's the thing I have noticed though. Alot of Irish people now seem to be using it, just wondering if anyone has any idea why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'm not your mate, friend

orestes wrote: »

Best way to be.

Well in my expierence in uk being called mate is usually when a stranger uses it to ask you for something ie , got a light mate ? / hey mate ... is the n0 49 bus gone yet ? or just somebody behind a counter ,male female asking '' can i help you mate '' Work mates will also use it of course ?

I dont think it's a term of familiarity ,just an english expression .A bit like a yank saying hi buddy ( even though your not really his buddy/friend ) But that sometimes is how friendships are formed .;)

Well in my expierence in uk being called mate is usually when a stranger uses it to ask you for something ie , got a light mate ? / hey mate ... is the n0 49 bus gone yet ? or just somebody behind a counter ,male female asking '' can i help you mate '' Work mates will also use it of course ? I dont think it's a term of familiarity ,just an english expression .A bit like a yank saying hi buddy ( even though your not really not his buddy/friend ) But that sometimes is how friendships are formed .;)

The Irish use of the word seems different to the English use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

owlwink wrote: »

Maybe it's just one or two people you have heard use it as a derogatory term?

The reason why Irish people are using it now is that most slang comes from the UK or US. Are you havin' a giraffe mate? etc.

I ocassionly greet my fellow Irishmen /women with "Mo Cairde" or Mo Chara.

I ocassionly greet my fellow Irishmen /women with "Mo Cairde" or Mo Chara.

When you're writing letters of complaint to R.T.E?

Maybe it's just one or two people you have heard use it as a derogatory term?

The reason why Irish people are using it now is that most slang comes from the UK or US. Are you havin' a giraffe mate? etc.

Fair enough...

Any idea though why this specific slang is coming over now, cuz it has been slang in England for a long time.:confused:

Seems a likely place for such a practice.

They must be due another one from me soon ;)

Fair enough...

Any idea though why this specific slang is coming over now, cuz it has been slang in England for a long time.:confused:

Because of Little Brittan or some other inane comedy show.

As an aside, does anyone else think that the use of "mate" as in to copulate can be quite funny when used correctly(by correctly, I mean grossly inappropriately)?

Because of Little Brittan or some other inane comedy show.

Ah now we are getting somewhere.

Australians always greet complete stangers with ' G'day mate ' to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

my best friend is english and he always says mate. It doesnt bother me much at all. Hate it when he calls me son even though im older than him. Grr

• Advertisement

Australians always greet complete stangers with ' G'day mate ' to .

I think using the word 'mate' singularly is still different though. Extra words add extra meanings.

seanybiker wrote: »
    my best friend is english and he always says mate. It doesnt bother me much at all. Hate it when he calls me son even though im older than him. Grr

If you would like to talk about the word son feel free to get it off your chest. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Better than Booood
    as in
    "Starry Booood?"

Blisterman wrote: »
    Better than Booood
    as in
    "Starry Booood?"

I think they are definitely on par with each other.

I think using the word 'mate' singularly is still different though. Extra words add extra meanings.
    Indeed .A proper Englisman would say ' good day mate ' .Ausies to lazy to put the oo in Gday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If you would like to talk about the word son feel free to get it off your chest. :D
    Daddy is that you?

seanybiker wrote: »
    Daddy is that you?

Just thought I'd play on the stupid use of the word son ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

orestes wrote: »

I'm not you're friend, buddy! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Acacia wrote: »
    I'm not you're friend, buddy! :pac:

I'm not your buddy, guy!

On-topic, since when is this "new"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It seems a little less rough in that form.

Whenever people say it to me I just feel like saying "I'm not your mate" straight away.

I say it sometimes. It's just a social nicety. You know - that arcane custom where you attempt to be courteous and friendly to strangers, even if you don't know them?

If you were actually brave enough to go around answering I'm not your mate to people, you'd get the response that you deserve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement