Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion- Right or Wrong

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

its a hard subject to take sides on,but i find that lately i have an open mind towards it,its the individuals choice so i feel we should respect their decision. quick question : do people feel that taking the morning after pill is also essentially abortion?my friends and i have debated on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

thedydal seriously are you trying to say that no women has ended up infertile form a legal abortion? becuase that is NOT true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

eveie seriously are you trying to say that lots of women have ended up infertile form legal abortion ? because that is NOT true.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/abortion/AN00633
    Abortion: Does it affect subsequent pregnancies?

Answer

There is much evidence that abortion is very safe in regard to its possible impact on future pregnancies. Research has shown that both abortion by medication (medical abortion) and abortion by surgery (surgical abortion) very rarely result in infertility or complications in subsequent pregnancies.

You may as well say women who have abortions go on to be killed by lightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

eveie wrote: »
    trowelled what about the option of adoption? and if you have read my post properly you would have see n that i did not dispute that it was a very valid question regaerdless of the % im not trying to fob it off

I did read your post and it was the fact that you reiterated the 1% thing at the end that got me. You may not have been trying to fob it off but you seem to have missed my point. I'm saying that I do not believe abortion is wrong in all incidents and that's just the way I see it.

Adoption isn't for everyone. It may be the case that they don't want to have to endure the pain of carrying the child for 9 months either. As I said every woman is different! Each to their own.

Abortion i wrong if it's used as a means of after contraception but I think if someone has a valid reason for abortion then they should have the right to do it and should not be jjudged for it

"During a medical abortion, a woman takes oral medications — mifepristone (formerly known as RU-486) and misoprostol — during her first trimester to abort the fetus." quote from link you gave me no it doesnt go on to increase the risk of future problem regarding infertility........its funny it doesnt mention here the 18 women who died as a direct consquence of this drug.
    and it does state that it is possible
    a friend who has been left infertile from an abortion, ironic isnt it

• Advertisement

a friend who has been left infertile from an abortion, ironic isnt it

I know of 9 women who weren't.

More women die in child birth then are rendered infertile from legal medical/surgical abortion proceedures.

see this is the problem with that
    abortion was first legalised in england in cases where the child would be born with serious defects, now abortion is been carried out of perfectly formed unborn children
    also if we bring a law in here stating that any women who falls pregnant through incest or rape should be allowed th echoise to abort will only bring women out of the wood work claming they were raped and thst a big enough problem as it stands.

how many women die form abortion every yr?
    Ireland is the safest countr in the world to have a baby, that research was carried out by the u.n, i know of one women who has died as a direct consquence of child birth, but im wondering could you provide me with numbers from abortion?
    also i know that women who have died as a consquence of abortion very rarely get that put on their death cert, its either, infected utures, blood poising, heamoriging

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Zulu wrote: »
    And what of the fathers choice?
    Or the childs choice?

..or do these two people not count?

What choice? Why should the father get a choice? He has donated one cell, not even a proper sell, a crappy haploid cell, and the mother has donated one cell. Every subsequent cell in the foetus's body comes from nutrients in the woman's body. So I don't think the father should have any say.

Before someone brings it up I also don't think a man should have to pay child support if he never sees his kids and never wanted kids.

Publin wrote: »
    Yes you have a womb and you own it, but do you alone "own" the baby growing inside in your opinion?

I suppose you'd "own" it as much as a tapeworm in your intestine. I think a woman should be able to remov her her services as an involuntary incubator, and if that results in the death of the foetus then I don't really care.

I don't see a foetus's life as being particularly "special" if it not valued. I don't believe that life has intrinsic value, value is bestowed on it by other people and by the living person themself. A foetus does not value its own life nor does anyone else, so it's not wrong to kill it.

how many women die form abortion every yr?
    Ireland is the safest countr in the world to have a baby, that research was carried out by the u.n, i know of one women who has died as a direct consquence of child birth, but im wondering could you provide me with numbers from abortion?

Legal abortion ?
    You know full well due to it's taboo nature many women do not give their real names and address and so can be followed up on.
    If legal abortion was killing women and rendering them infertile then the meidcal profession and the legal profession would know about it.
    also i know that women who have died as a consquence of abortion very rarely get that put on their death cert, its either, infected utures, blood poising, heamoriging

The same is usually stated on the death certs of those who die due to complications arising from child birth.

• Advertisement

"a foetus does not value its own life nor does anyone else, so it's not wrong to kill it." quote on qwuote Piste
    that is the most ridiclous statement i have ever ever heard in a discussion about abortion ever! eben pro-choce people would disagree with that
    no one values a foetus????? reallly not even a parent who has been trying for yrs to get pregnant? you need to retract that statement

Hey evie you will find that the code you need for doing quotes is
    [noparse]
    What they said
    [/noparse]

Hope thats helpful, it may make the discussion easier to follow.

thats my exact point thaedyal how are we to know the correct numbers if this is the case? its more common then people are lead to believe. and you cannot deny that abortion clinics would not like the true figures to become public knowledge as they survive on women is crisis giving them money.
    because every operation here is legal apart from any illegal abortion clinics there might be, sactistics are easier to gather in relation to women dying as a consquence to child birth

ok thanks thaedyal im a disater with computers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

"a foetus does not value its own life nor does anyone else, so it's not wrong to kill it." quote on qwuote Piste
    that is the most ridiclous statement i have ever ever heard in a discussion about abortion ever! eben pro-choce people would disagree with that
    no one values a foetus????? reallly not even a parent who has been trying for yrs to get pregnant? you need to retract that statement

Are we not talking about a foetus that is going to be aborted?? Why would a parent who has been trying to get pregnant for years come into the discussion of whether THAT foetus be aborted?? That doesn't make sense.

thats my exact point thaedyal how are we to know the correct numbers if this is the case? its more common then people are lead to believe. and you cannot deny that abortion clinics would not like the true figures to become public knowledge as they survive on women is crisis giving them money.
    because every operation here is legal apart from any illegal abortion clinics there might be, sactistics are easier to gather in relation to women dying as a consquence to child birth

I think you will find that in countries where it is legal they do keep good recoreds and women get the help they require which is as far as I am concerned another mark in favour of making it safe and legal here.

welli care about that feotus, i care about all human life, many people do, and dont give me the whole oh wel you should look after all the unwanted children......because that would be impossible considering there have been millions upon million of abortions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Piste wrote: »
    What choice? Why should the father get a choice?
    Indeed, why should he! It's just that some people respect parenthood, and a father choice.
    He has donated one cell, not even a proper sell, a crappy haploid cell, and the mother has donated one cell. Every subsequent cell in the foetus's body comes from nutrients in the woman's body. So I don't think the father should have any say.
    I fail to see how a cell exchange can be used to negate the role of a father. However - clearly this makes sense to you and you are happy with this reasoning, so bully for you.
    Before someone brings it up I also don't think a man should have to pay child support if he never sees his kids and never wanted kids.
    Good for you. Although this is another point where we would disagree.
    I suppose you'd "own" it as much as a tapeworm in your intestine.
    Only it's not a tape worm it's a person. It's funny how people describe an unborn person as a "parasite". I challenge you to call a pregnant woman's unborn child (who has chosen to have a child) a parasite. Or a woman who's after successfully receiving IVF, call her unborn child a parasite and see how many friends you make.
    Why do you get this reaction I wonder? Why do they take great offence? Because their child isn't a parasite. Their child is a person.
    I think a woman should be able to remov her her services as an involuntary incubator,
    Thats what contraception is for.
    and if that results in the death of the foetus then I don't really care.
    Clearly you don't care, otherwise you wouldn't have that cavalier attitude to human life.
    I don't see a foetus's life as being particularly "special" if it not valued.
    Interesting, is a humans life particularly "special" if it's not valued?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Malari wrote: »
    Are we not talking about a foetus that is going to be aborted?? Why would a parent who has been trying to get pregnant for years come into the discussion of whether THAT foetus be aborted?? That doesn't make sense.
    The father is a parent that cared for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's funny how people describe an unborn person as a "parasite". I challenge you to call a pregnant woman's unborn child (who has chosen to have a child) a parasite. Or a woman who's after successfully receiving IVF, call her unborn child a parasite and see how many friends you make.
    Why do you get this reaction I wonder? Why do they take great offence? Because their child isn't a parasite. Their child is a person.
    Since when are pregnant women experts on the subject, and since when does someone being offended make them right?

Tell a religious person God doesn't exist and they'll take great offence. Doesn't mean they're right and God exists.

Anyway, I accept your challenge. If Piste ever gets pregnant I'll drop her a PM :p

• Advertisement

there are many links and information in the thread in the ladies lounge on the subject of abortion, scientific agreement that conceprtion is the beginng if a new life, if anyone is interested in lookint at them

This is a seperate forum, different rules and terms of enguagement.
    If you want those considered for the debate here then post them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I think you'll find the scientific definition of life means little in the context of an ethical debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The father is a parent that cared for it.

I don't understand your point? :confused:

Re: ru 486 deaths, According to UN statistics Ireland is the safest place in the world to give birth, i.e. it has the lowest maternal mortality rate in the world. Thus the pro-life laws cannot be said to endanger the lives of women.

re: abortion and depression/suicide: the 2 biggest and most comprehensive studies in this area both show a big increase in mental health problems due to abortion. The STAKES report (2004) in Finland showed women who had aboritons compared to women who havent are 6 times more likely to commit suicide. Prof. Ferguson's study (New Zealand, 2007) shows women who have aboritons are significantly more likely to suffer depression and abuse drugs. Both studies are longitudinal and took account of mitigating factors.

re: abortion/breast cancer link... no one can conclusively say at the moment that there either def is or def isnt a link--but its certainly false to claim there is no evidence to support a link... Janet Daling, M.D. "Risk of Breast Cancer Among Young Women: Relationship of Induced Abortion." Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 2 November 1994. claims a substantial link exists even after one abortion.

re: is the embryo a human being...all textbooks on the science of embryology state so, it is a basic scientific fact, see Larsen, 'Human embryology' (1997) pp. 4-11. The question is whether human beings should have human rights? Yes according to International Human Rights, United Nations, the Declaration of the Rights of the Child:
    Whereasthe child, by reason of his physical and mental immaturity, needs special safeguards and care, including appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth
    www.l4l.org/library/mythfact.html

This is not a matter of goalposts changing btw, all of your reasons for claiming the embryo is potential human life and not a human being are scientifically false, the above article and any textbook on embryology shows why.

Jermoe le Jeune, who won a Noble Prize for his work on Down's Syndrome, says this on the issue:
    'To accept the fact that, after fertilization has taken place, a new human has come into being is no longer a matter of taste or of opinion. The human nature of the human being from conception to old age is not a metaphysical contention. It is plain experimental evidence.

When we accept the science of the issue the ethics follows: human beings deserve human rights. But If you allow for abortion then you have emptied human rights of its meaning, it is a matter of science and logic. I appreciate that sometimes science tells us things we do not want to hear because it may upset our worldview, but we cannot be inconsistent just to appease our emotions

The term 'potential human being' has no scientific basis whatsoever, science does not investigate potentialities, only what actually physically exists. A skin cell is completely different from an embryo cos the embryo is the self-organising totality of a human being, whereas the skin cell is not.

there is a difference between adult stem-cells and embryo stem cells, the difference lies in that adult stem cells are pluripotent whereas embryo ones are totipotent, only an individual human being at the earliest stages of his/her life possesses totipotent stem cells. Why are we so quick to accept science on almost any other issue but this? Its because of a fear of responsibility and our duty to all human beings.

i apologies tgh eform of this post but i dont have time to edit so i just took it direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 xshazarx

Who is to judge? What about the likes of a rape victim or someone who knows they cannot support a child, they neither have the finance or emotional strength to cope, who is to say whether they are doing the right or wrong thing.

No doubt if the person did go ahead and get the abortion, her conscience would be the hardest obsticle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Clearly in the context of this debate I was talking about unwanted foetuses, I sincerely doubt that someone who was delighted to have a baby would willingly abort it.

Good for you. Although this is another point where we would disagree.
    Only it's not a tape worm it's a person.

G'wan, show me where I said parasite? I only said it's like a tapeworm in terms of ownership.
    Zulu wrote:
    Thats what contraception is for.

No it's not! Contraception is to ensure that that situation never arises, it;s not to get you out of it!
    Zulu wrote:
    Interesting, is a humans life particularly "special" if it's not valued?

In my opinion, no
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    , I accept your challenge. If Piste ever gets pregnant I'll drop her a PM :p

I'll expect knitted booties and adorable babygros actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only it's not a tape worm it's a person. It's funny how people describe an unborn person as a "parasite". I challenge you to call a pregnant woman's unborn child (who has chosen to have a child) a parasite. Or a woman who's after successfully receiving IVF, call her unborn child a parasite and see how many friends you make.
    Actually, it's both.
    Parasite:
    An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.

A word having negative connotations doesn't make it untrue.

If I call you a primate, you'd probably be offended, even though it's a perfectly correct description for you (and I, and everyone else posting here).

financial limations is not a reason to kill a child,we are not talking about a mouse here we're talking about a human being, which could be your child, your brother/sister etc its not an intangible assest that you can dispose of just like that what about giving the child and giving it up for adoption????
    ive just dealt with the rape issue

• Advertisement

a unborn child is a human not a parasite, thats like saying someone whos disabled is a vegtable no there human. we'l follow your logic and therfore call all people up to the age of 18 parasites

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement