Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it me??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's like the housing boom..except this time the boys can't throw the keys in the letterbox....they have a nice farm they can go after

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Le shovelle

Theres a sign near where im working atm saying 2021 citreon berlingo 12000+vat

That sounds like good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Friend of mine is on pup payment and labouring for €150 cash into hand per day so thats €1,100 in the pocket each week. He doenst drink or smoke and hasnt a penny

Wonder does he gamble

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Friend of mine is on pup payment and labouring for €150 cash into hand per day so thats €1,100 in the pocket each week. He doenst drink or smoke and hasnt a penny

That's always gone on. I worked with two other lads during the boom, one day they hadn't turned up by 10.30. I asked the boss what the story was? "Signing on day" :rolleyes: Easy know the fool on that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

That sounds like good value

Great value if its true.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Le shovelle

Great value if its true.

If you read it somewhere, it must be true :)

If you read it somewhere, it must be true :)

Could be a fake news phenomenon for all i know

Better living everyone

lab man wrote: »
    Nephew just qualified as a heavy diesel mechanic and all the crowds want is your stamp on the paper to say the truck or bus is road worthy if something happens the guy with the stamp takes the fall remember there a few years ago about a bus up Midlands that crashed with kids on it they bus owner done his best to nail the mechanic we heard
    Anything he's not happy to sign off on,pass it up the line.....noone ever got sacked for doing their job correctly/to a high standerd

There is weird rules about this truck stuff,we couldnt sign off a truck for the company i work for,but could for someone else??

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭arctictree

Why is this not feeding into official inflation rates? I see for 2021 the rate is estimated as 0.6%. Do they not take into account the cost of large value items and services?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Dunedin

with papers or without ?

Without. To be fair they were recommended from a friend in my gun club and I’ve saw the mother working. Still ridiculous money but I had been watching out for lab or Springer for last 12 months nearly and it was either pay the money or have no dog. People paying up to €2k for pups.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

arctictree wrote: »
    Why is this not feeding into official inflation rates? I see for 2021 the rate is estimated as 0.6%. Do they not take into account the cost of large value items and services?

Could be wrong but I thought it was calculated on a basket of goods....groceries, basic clothing etc

Always thought there were a lot of items left out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

amacca wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I thought it was calculated on a basket of goods....groceries, basic clothing etc

Always thought there were a lot of items left out

According to this video on the CSO website, 50,000 consumer prices are compared monthly across like for like products and services....

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/statisticsexplained/consumerpriceindex/

jimmy G M wrote: »
    According to this video on the CSO website, 50,000 consumer prices are compared monthly across like for like products and services....

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/statisticsexplained/consumerpriceindex/

Interesting. You learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

arctictree wrote: »

The way they average and weight things skews it a lot. We all now that the cost of living is very different to 10 years ago despite supposedly very little inflation.
    There's 2 or 3 independent inflation measures carried out in the us that show 5-10% compared to well under 2% for the official cpi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yes, prices are gone absolutely bonkers.

I drive a 12/13 year old car and I won't be buying anything soon hopefully.

Cheap credit is what's driving all prices upwards. I don't know how this will all end but it could be bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Oil prices taking a big jump now too. That container ship stuck in the Suez canal will drive it up even more. How big a job would it be to have the top layer of containers taken off with a helicopter?

Perhaps we should all be haggling more when we buy stuff instead of just being price takers.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Oil prices taking a big jump now too. That container ship stuck in the Suez canal will drive it up even more. How big a job would it be to have the top layer of containers taken off with a helicopter?

Perhaps we should all be haggling more when we buy stuff instead of just being price takers.

Only problem is it's hard to haggle with something that's a necessity and a queue of lads that would walk all over each other to get it forming behind you.....

Don't get me wrong I agree in general but society is too disintegrated now....takes everyone having a common cause or the sense to not accept short term gains that will screw everyone down the line......very little of that left... our media preys upon creating division too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭adocholiday

500 litres of Kerosene now €315. I bought 500 last Jan for €235 and another 500 in October for €230.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Dunedin wrote: »
    Without. To be fair they were recommended from a friend in my gun club and I’ve saw the mother working. Still ridiculous money but I had been watching out for lab or Springer for last 12 months nearly and it was either pay the money or have no dog. People paying up to €2k for pups.....

Thats sore but without a dog you are at nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Dunedin

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Thats sore but without a dog you are at nothing

Ah sur that’s it. I don’t do an awful lot of shooting these days but I like to have a decent dog all the same as it’s the dog that makes me go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Shop around, get on the phone and see where you can get materials at the best price, buy in bulk, a few builders merchants down here,all looking for your business some are good on timber and some not so good, same down here with cars, A lad down the road from me here has a yard full of cars and he would leave them rot before he would do a deal, I think he likes to be looking at them. I go to Dublin to buy my used cars, no bull off them no haggling just a good price, they move them on quick take a little profit and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

kerryjack wrote: »
    Shop around, get on the phone and see where you can get materials at the best price, buy in bulk, a few builders merchants down here,all looking for your business some are good on timber and some not so good, same down here with cars, A lad down the road from me here has a yard full of cars and he would leave them rot before he would do a deal, I think he likes to be looking at them. I go to Dublin to buy my used cars, no bull off them no haggling just a good price, they move them on quick take a little profit and move on.

Ya bought a galaxy here 2 years ago ex rental, local lad said couldnt be got. Up and down in 5 hrs with a 5k cheaper car from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

With more buildings work sheds going up etc are guys getting more money for labouring type work than before?

With more buildings work sheds going up etc are guys getting more money for labouring type work than before?

I think the CIF rate for labouring is about €17.50 and rises with tickets and ability etc.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think the CIF rate for labouring is about €17.50 and rises with tickets and ability etc.

Omg.. I'm not the wrong job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Don't get too excited by the cif rates. Would need to do more than "kick the stone's about "

Majority of building worker's earn their wages hard.most cif sites are in cities & larger towns. Good journeys away from rural ireland

ruwithme wrote: »
    Don't get too excited by the cif rates. Would need to do more than "kick the stone's about "

Majority of building worker's earn their wages hard.most cif sites are in cities & larger towns. Good journeys away from rural ireland

Theres plenty on our job at the moment doing just that at the moment but its not likely theyll be kept on when it quiettens down all the same. Heard of one lad getting €970 into the hand if he worked the Saturday as well in fairness he was a right lad to go but he was still in as a GO. Im well aware of the travel but some companies give subsistence money the whole time whereas we only get it outside of the base that definitly makes a big difference when you can get it too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Fair play to the unions,conditions & pay are better now for the working man on the so called proper sites as the safe pass instructor would say.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Fair play to the unions,conditions & pay are better now for the working man on the so called proper sites as the safe pass instructor would say.

Oh for sure its only on proper sites and proper companys i reckon for everyman getting what hes worth theres a handful getting rode. Im not on a whole lot myself at the miuute but id be on a whole lor less if i was with a local firm.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not something you'd want to be at long term.

Manual labour all day every day. Broken man in your 60s

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irishpride12

With all this extra money around where is the saftest place to invest it, when it all pops what will hold value and stay relative. Maybe we should just chip the mortgage down fast as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

I lost my job in a factory last august was on 550 to 600 a week take home depended on hitting targets got another job 349 a week I dunno is it even worth working at that money with tyres diesel launches etc

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

With all this extra money around where is the saftest place to invest it, when it all pops what will hold value and stay relative. Maybe we should just chip the mortgage down fast as possible

Bitcoin lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

richie123 wrote: »
    Bitcoin lol

That's one thing I can't get my head around, though I haven't tried too hard

Ya its unbelievable stuff really a lot of people are gonna get burnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The thing eith bitcoin is that it's whether or not people believe in it decides whether or not it works. Absolutely no different to dollars or euros in that regard except for the lack of a central bank to silently devalue the holders wealth over time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

lab man wrote: »
    I lost my job in a factory last august was on 550 to 600 a week take home depended on hitting targets got another job 349 a week I dunno is it even worth working at that money with tyres diesel launches etc

Has your work/life balance improved anything since changing jobs and has it allowed you any extra flexibility compared to before?. My weekly wage wouldn't be anything extravagant especially during the busier period's if broken down per hour. However it levels out a bit in the quieter times and if something comes up outside of work I'd have more flexibility compared to a traditional 9-5. There's more to work than just the weekly wage imo although that's what pays the bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has your work/life balance improved anything since changing jobs and has it allowed you any extra flexibility compared to before?. My weekly wage wouldn't be anything extravagant especially during the busier period's if broken down per hour. However it levels out a bit in the quieter times and if something comes up outside of work I'd have more flexibility compared to a traditional 9-5. There's more to work than just the weekly wage imo although that's what pays the bills.

Don’t forget
    You work to live not live to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Yes life is deffo better I just do 3 days now before I done 2days 2 notes 4 off worked 6 weekends outta 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Try this...
    - Hard money - the most finite financial asset there is....hard capped at 23 million. More finite than gold.
    - Digital currency for a digital era
    - A hedge against rampant sovereign currency printing.
    - Decentralised money that disintermediates banks.
    - Censorship resistant ...meaning that nobody can be prevented from sending or receiving value on the bitcoin network. Nobody can confiscate your bitcoin (unless you leave your private key lying around).
    - People get greedy and pile in on hype cycles. That doesn't make bitcoin a bad idea over the longer term. It still remains the best performing asset over most years of its existence...including this year, last year, 2019, the past decade, etc.
    Don't be greedy but DO hold a couple of percent of your portfolio in bitcoin.
    The thing eith bitcoin is that it's whether or not people believe in it decides whether or not it works. Absolutely no different to dollars or euros in that regard except for the lack of a central bank to silently devalue the holders wealth over time
    The caveat you mention is front and centre as regards why bitcoin garners interest. It also explains what led to this very thread. We don't have inflation as per CPI - but CPI has been rigged to remove relevant items. Technology is driving deflation on certain items but assets/commodities/food are being driven up.

If your in cash you will lose a small percentage every year .
    If your in bitcoin you could lose 90 per cent next year.
    Thats difference imo.

If your in cash you will lose a small percentage every year .

Small percentage based on what metric? CPI? CPI is rigged. This very thread is testament to the fact that it's not just a small percentage.
    If your in bitcoin you could lose 90 per cent next year.
    Three aspects to consider - are you going to take a disproportionate position in bitcoin? Do you have a low time preference in which case you'll realise such an eventuality should there be a market correction next year or do you have a higher time preference and can benefit from bitcoin on that basis? i.e. the best performing asset of the last decade. Finally, someone can decide to opt out of that shorter time frame speculation and volatility by dollar cost averaging into a bitcoin position over the much longer term with regular but small purchases. In that case, nearer term peaks and troughs are smoothed out whilst still getting the benefit of what has been a consistent upward trend for an asset that's finite benchmarked/priced against currencies that are anything but finite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I keep thinking of the childhood story "emperor's new clothes" when I think of bitcoin. Cannt see it ending well.

Small percentage based on what metric? CPI? CPI is rigged. This very thread is testament to the fact that it's not just a small percentage.

Three aspects to consider - are you going to take a disproportionate position in bitcoin? Do you have a low time preference in which case you'll realise such an eventuality should there be a market correction next year or do you have a higher time preference and can benefit from bitcoin on that basis? i.e. the best performing asset of the last decade. Finally, someone can decide to opt out of that shorter time frame speculation and volatility by dollar cost averaging into a bitcoin position over the much longer term with regular but small purchases. In that case, nearer term peaks and troughs are smoothed out whilst still getting the benefit of what has been a consistent upward trend for an asset that's finite benchmarked/priced against currencies that are anything but finite.

What does cpi mean ?
    I dont understand bitcoin.
    Theres a lot of mystery about mining computer programming etc.
    Gold is just a metal in finite supply.easy to understand.
    But for someone.lije yourself who understands it then yes its probably a good investment

I keep thinking of the childhood story "emperor's new clothes" when I think of bitcoin. Cannt see it ending well.
    It's been around for 12 years already and it's not going away.
    What does cpi mean ?
    CPI stands for Consumer Price Index. It's a measure of changes in the price of a basket of consumer goods. The basket of goods was changed going back some years to exclude food, energy and asset price inflation.
    I dont understand bitcoin.
    Theres a lot of mystery about mining computer programming etc.
    All you need to know is that there's a capped supply of 23 million bitcoin. The mining aspect is required to secure the network and confirm transactions on the network.
    Gold is just a metal in finite supply.easy to understand.
    Gold is finite - albeit that as the price of gold goes up, greater efforts are likely to be made to extract it. As the price of bitcoin goes up, there's no conceivable way of 'extracting' more of it. Therefore, it's even more finite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I thought of this thread today. Went in to a hardware store to get an electric contact spray. Guy printed of receipt, looked at it and goes "God, that's dear".
    €33. :eek:
    Walked out without it. Looked online since and Woodies have one for €7.50

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

If you had €1000 to invest, where would you put it? I really need to start learning about investing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bitcoin ......

".....there are more than 4,000 cryptocurrencies in existence as of January 2021."

There's even one called Titcoin, I kid you not. The whole thing is a joke.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Bitcoin ......

".....there are more than 4,000 cryptocurrencies in existence as of January 2021."

There's even one called Titcoin, I kid you not. The whole thing is a joke.

Maybe Patsy, but what’s real when it comes to investing?
    Surely a lot of stocks are based on what people think they’re worth? And they can go up and down...
    Some companies have assets, but a lot now don’t - its all software and intellectual property...
    And anyone who has a pension has some sort of stocks...

I don’t know much about Bitcoin, but I think to write it off as a fad might be wrong...

As someone above did, they invested in bitcoin rather than a calf... I wish I invested :)
    Now I know bitcoin could tank, but an animal could die too :)

Advertisement