Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

An auctioneer here is saying a cottage without a kitchen or central heating system will make 100k, absolute lunacy

It could make it . Whats the value of a site near you .

I was buying a house 6 years ago. Agreed 195 for it. It fell through.
    Its under offer at 330 at the moment . Exact same house, no improvements made

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Don’t hear any clever little anecdotes from David McWilliams these days. Does that mean, this run had a ways to go yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Gave €700 for a Springer pup last week Hope the missus not reading this as told her €300!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Don’t hear any clever little anecdotes from David McWilliams these days. Does that mean, this run had a ways to go yet?

He's busy blowing out sh1te on his podcast and in the irish times. I don't be the better for seeing it on a Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Nope, i noticed the same, i've been looking at upgrading the jeep over the last 6-9 months and prices are gone cracked, they can keep it, i'll plow a few bob into my jeep to keep her reasonable for the next two years and i'd say at that stage there will be plenty of jeeps knocking around at realastic prices. 2021 uptick, 2022 boom, 2023 bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

It has gone mad again and will continue for a good while. Medium sized towns credit unions taking in 600-700 a week in SAVINGS!! For the last year. Good lot of money to invest as down payments on you know what..................PROPERTY!!! All we know until Bitcoin arrived which will end in flipping tears. General operatives , young lads, no qualifications, pulling 850-900a week out of intel site. It’s all very cyclical

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

Decent cars or jeeps will be a lot rarer now the UK tap has been largely switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Cattlepen wrote: »
    It has gone mad again and will continue for a good while. Medium sized towns credit unions taking in 600-700 a week in SAVINGS!! For the last year. Good lot of money to invest as down payments on you know what..................PROPERTY!!! All we know until Bitcoin arrived which will end in flipping tears. General operatives , young lads, no qualifications, pulling 850-900a week out of intel site. It’s all very cyclical

€909/week, if we say theres €200/week Subsistence but AFAIK its been given there. Thats off €18/hr a fair estimate for a GO rate using a single persons tax credits. I hope it lasts for more than a couple of years all the same might make the queue to Oz a bit shorter when my time comes.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

This phenomenon is pure unadulterated inflation. It has zero to do with the Celtic tiger boom. That was a credit fuelled boom. Banks throwing money at everybody and anybody.
    There’s no loose credit now, and all the talk of huge savings out of Covid which is true, but can one years savings be of such an amount, to drive everything crazy?
    No way. Stuff is getting dear, because of quantitive easing. The so called savings from built up during Covid, are being devalued by the hour by this QE!
    Lads expecting Jeep’s etc, to be cheaper in a few years, will be disappointed in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

But tractors are not right hand drive or left hand drive, you could buy from rest of Europe Shirley ? Why the brexit mark up, impossible to buy from UK now,but there is the rest of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This phenomenon is pure unadulterated inflation. It has zero to do with the Celtic tiger boom. That was a credit fuelled boom. Banks throwing money at everybody and anybody.
    There’s no loose credit now, and all the talk of huge savings out of Covid which is true, but can one years savings be of such an amount, to drive everything crazy?
    No way. Stuff is getting dear, because of quantitive easing. The so called savings from built up during Covid, are being devalued by the hour by this QE!
    Lads expecting Jeep’s etc, to be cheaper in a few years, will be disappointed in my opinion.
    Had a bit of trouble with the forklift recently so a ..forklift mechanic was called out.
    He changed all four glow plugs. The way he works it he has the stock in hand usually but orders more on phone before he makes up the bill. So I paid the price of the new ordered plugs that will be delivered to him for the next job.
    It was a while since he last ordered these plugs before. Well so he said. He was three times asking on the phone were the plugs the price quoted. Cost me €46 a plug. And that was a special rate to him that a shop wouldn't sell for..
    Serious inflation in a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

I have to disagree to a certain extent from personal experience .. Walked into a local vw outlet in 2017 and within 2 hours I was pcp'd for a brand new car valued at 33k ... no back ground checks no nothing couldn't believe it and was giving only minimal deposit on application (10%)

Applied for a 10 grand loan on ulster bank app on mobile in 2019 .. money was in the account within a day or two ... I didnt even sign anything!! Granted there not big figures but I couldn't believe how quick I could get credit

From what I'm told hitachis diggers from a northern dealer can be got on 0 % finance and thats why the country's flooded with new 130 hitachis (makes sense) but to think that there's always going to be work for all of them and there not going to be a serious dry spell where they either hit rock bottom in price or are exported is questionable same with tractors/jeeps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The cousin has been in a job in the local bakery for a few years now.
    Liked it, after years on building sites and before that, in piggeries.
    Was taking home about €50 over min. wage.
    Talking to him yesterday, and he's leaving it.
    Piggery manager rang him asking if he'd come back to them.
    Bit of bargaining, and he's wrangled €200 a week more than what he was on, plus a bit of latitude in work hours if he has a cow calving at home, etc.
    Only thing he ( and the cows)are going to miss is all the free bread and cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

893bet wrote: »
    Decent cars or jeeps will be a lot rarer now the UK tap has been largely switched off.

How’s that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The cousin has been in a job in the local bakery for a few years now.
    Liked it, after years on building sites and before that, in piggeries.
    Was taking home about €50 over min. wage.
    Talking to him yesterday, and he's leaving it.
    Piggery manager rang him asking if he'd come back to them.
    Bit of bargaining, and he's wrangled €200 a week more than what he was on, plus a bit of latitude in work hours if he has a cow calving at home, etc.
    Only thing he ( and the cows)are going to miss is all the free bread and cakes.
    The booms in Farming too then nek.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

josephsoap wrote: »
    How’s that?

Unless they were registered in Northern Ireland before 31st December 2020, all imported cars from Gt.Britian are subject to extra customs duty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

ruwithme wrote: »
    The booms in Farming too then nek.

Gonna be hard to see how farming will compete for labour if you can get €18/hr+overtime mon-fri for kicking stones around Intel. FRS pay €12/hr gross down this way with no Saturday rate and it goes to €15hr for Sundays. As for Farm Solutions they pay €11/hr maybe less I worked out the sums last year for going working with them and you would do well to pull in €450/week with them, they operate a similar set up to New Zealand farmers as in tying you to a farm for 7 days/week and you only getting 45 hours or so all week.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Is this intel site on going or going to start??suppose the oul farming will still be here when the bust happens anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

The Governments and banks are busy buying up assets, comodities (gold, silver, platinum) and cryptos to protect themselves from this inflation.

Read today that the US Feds are looking at bringing out their own digital currency.

IMO, the price of oil is the one to watch over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

David6330 wrote: »
    The Governments and banks are busy buying up assets, comodities (gold, silver, platinum) and cryptos to protect themselves from this inflation.

The State is accumulating liabilities, not assets!!!

The main assets of banks is loans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Cran

duffysfarm wrote: »
    i remember in secondary school and one teacher literally beating the school work into us and telling us that if we didn't learn anything at school we would end up on a building site!!

Back in the day in school had a legend of a teacher who used to always say to honours classes, be nice to the lads in pass boys you ll be working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Yep noticing it big time myself now. Have been in the market for a cheap 4x4 pickup just for inclement weather and for towing a trailer or picking up stuff that can't fit in the car and it's impossible to get any value.

Similarly I have a few outside projects to do and 4.8m long 19mm thick treated shiplap cladding cost me €12 per board. The same stuff 2 years ago was €7 from the same supplier. Doesn't seem like much but when you're buying 30 of them it's a fair chunk.

Also just finished the tender process for an extension we've been planning and the prices are through the roof. We were thinking of holding off but realistically it's going to be another 2 years before the prices start going the other way if at all so we're just going to push ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

New hilux at 45 inc vat, lads be better off buying. Theyl hold value between very few coming in and very few new ones bought

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Yeah but if poster was foolish enough to give him the job you can bet your bottom dollar he’d take it and smile all the way - €3.5k cash for 3 days work, nice if you can get it.
    The way this works is no fella wants to say he is too busy to do it as word would go around and he d lose out on jobs he d like to get.if you put in a stupid price and yer man agrees yer probaly not going to get the money anyway when the job is finished.so then you just keep fobbing off until they give up.its how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Have prices hit their highest or will they continue to rise further. Like steel, timber, fertiliser etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Dunedin wrote: »
    Gave €700 for a Springer pup last week Hope the missus not reading this as told her €300!!!

with papers or without ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

with papers or without ?

Surely with or else trained to within an inch of its life:eek:

Should be able to flush out the bird, shoot it with the scatter gun, retrieve panch and pluck the bird for that......then serve it later a l'orange while the owner reads the financial times.

maybe renew the gun license when its up as well

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I think a lot of price increases are here to stay. Market conditions will dictate in the future but i cant see business reducing their proces.

Last year when half the country was working from home or not working and tins of paint were like gold dust the hardware shop owners seen the queues outside the shops and upped their prices accordingly. Ok they had increased costs but the increase in prices were not in line with these

Also hairdressers, beauticians etc charging more now to cover extra covid costs. Any business paying rates in 2020 received a minimum of €7,200 to cover reopening costs but in a lot of cases this went elsewhere or in peoples back pockets.

when things do open up again and tradesmen can go back to work it will be mayhem. Also when travel opens back up i can see hotels, travel companies etc taking advantage and prices will go crazy there also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

An awful snobbery that still exists in this part of the country anyway. A good few lads i went to school with are after getting into apprenticeships well into our twenties as they were looked down upon when we were studying for the leaving certificate.

The big push on 3rd level means you've a load of people getting degrees they've no need for, at least you don't have to get into debt to get a 3rd level degree in Ireland so its not a waste but when I think of people I knew in college a lot are doing nothing related to or requiring a degree now.

I am but haven't gone back for a masters as I can't see it guaranteeing a better job so why spend 6k on it.

But in school anyone one like me whos family were in manual jobs or farming but had a bit of brains were never let even mention getting a trade it was all focused on going to third level. I'm only in my late 20s and like the job I got as a result of my degree but would seriously think about going to work on sites if I found myself needing work, theres real wage stagnation in a lot of graduate jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

kevthegaff wrote: »
    New hilux at 45 inc vat, lads be better off buying. Theyl hold value between very few coming in and very few new ones bought

Same with vans, 3 and 4 years old with 90k miles on them, priced 25% less than a new one .

Advertisement