Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Chuchote wrote: »
    Oooh, risotto recipe, please? I make a seafood one as one of the standard nothing-in-the-cupboard fallbacks, it would be nice to have a few more.

I got the duck breasts but was astonished by the size of the tiny sliver of meat and the sea of fat.

Here Prawn and Asparagus Risotto

Get raw prawns though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Chuchote wrote: »
    Oooh, risotto recipe, please? I make a seafood one as one of the standard nothing-in-the-cupboard fallbacks, it would be nice to have a few more.

I got the duck breasts but was astonished by the size of the tiny sliver of meat and the sea of fat.

Yep there is a LOT of fat!
    How did you cook them? I always find they are a decent size. I get the garlic and herb marinated ones and stick them skin side down on a hot griddle to get the skin crisped up and then cook in the oven on a tray where all the fat can drip off.

I am terrible for following recipes so generally what I do for a risotto is brown whatever veg i am using in a big pot in some olive oil with some leeks and garlic and then add the rice when softed and slightly browned. I add a glug of white wine and then some nice veg stock gradually and stir. Recently used Potts vegetable stock which is gorgeous!
    Measurements are very vague I am afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Yep there is a LOT of fat!
    How did you cook them? I always find they are a decent size. I get the garlic and herb marinated ones and stick them skin side down on a hot griddle to get the skin crisped up and then cook in the oven on a tray where all the fat can drip off.

I am terrible for following recipes so generally what I do for a risotto is brown whatever veg i am using in a big pot in some olive oil with some leeks and garlic and then add the rice when softed and slightly browned. I add a glug of white wine and then some nice veg stock gradually and stir. Recently used Potts vegetable stock which is gorgeous!
    Measurements are very vague I am afraid!

I cook the duck breasts on a gridded pan, pouring off whatever fat liquefies, then separate the skin, fat and meat, and serve the skin and meat.

My risotto: fry up garlic, courgettes, shallots, a pepper, arborio or carnaroli rice, while heating some stock, either vegetable or chicken, and soaking some dried mushrooms in hot water and bubbling some frozen shellfish in butter. Then I start adding the hot stock and stirring it in gradually, throw in the mushrooms and their soaking water, pour in the liquor from the buttery shellfish, add a slosh of white wine or vermouth, and finally when it's ready add the shellfish, and serve with parmesan to be grated as desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Score the skin and cook duck breasts on a COLD pan, put the breasts in THEN turn on the heat, this gives time for the fat to come out of the skin, pour this fat off and when it solidifies reuse it for roast potatoes, lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

vicwatson wrote: »
    Score the skin and cook duck breasts on a COLD pan, put the breasts in THEN turn on the heat, this gives time for the fat to come out of the skin, pour this fat off and when it solidifies reuse it for roast potatoes, lovely.

You're right on the cold pan vicwatson! I recently found this out on a my kitchen rules marathon while suffering with a sinus infection! I always wondered why the skin wasn't getting dead crispy.
    I should definitely start keeping the fat too for roasties :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is not so much a recommendation as a warning - Alfredo Inferno pizza is amazingly hot, I mean unpleasantly so unless you have a palate forged in Mexico. Took about 20 mins before I could feel my tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

This is not so much a recommendation as a warning - Alfredo Inferno pizza is amazingly hot, I mean unpleasantly so unless you have a palate forged in Mexico. Took about 20 mins before I could feel my tongue.
    Haha I always get this and I love it. I like hot food though.

I tired the large Bratwurst and it was delicious so I got some more smaller ones but these have a sauce with them. I think they would taste nice in a roll with mustard or sauce like they serve in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

1: Deuluxe Seafood Chowder
    2: Low GI Cob
    3: Salted Cashew Nuts
    4: Goats Cheese Roll's
    5: Mozarella Balls
    6: Roasted Chick Peas (When in)
    7: Feta & Spinich Cheese Puffs
    8: Fresh Veg ( Great Selection)
    9: Lean Mince
    10: Sol Chorizo (Full Sausage)

Best non food items are the toiletries Cien showergel , 5 Blade shark razor ad blades , shaving foam and balm all a fraction of Lynx and Gilette and do the exact same job ... not mad on the deodorant though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Low fat potato salad. LOVELY. Chunky pieces but not rock hard lumps like Tesco's tends to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Anyone else a fan of Lidl's own-brand viennetta, specifically the coffee one? It is seriously delicious, and coffee ice-cream is normally quite hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The new low-fat version of their Eridanous Greek style yoghurt is really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Alfredo American Supreme Pizza at 1.49 was rather tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Best non food items are the toiletries Cien showergel , 5 Blade shark razor ad blades , shaving foam and balm all a fraction of Lynx and Gilette and do the exact same job ... not mad on the deodorant though

Yep very impressed with the Shark Razor Blades since I moved over to them and it's saving me a fortune as they are a fraction of the cost of the Gillette ones.

The Deodorant is very rough though, I can feel it burning my skin and typically it isn't sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Picked up some frozen chicken in sherry tapas in the freezer section today? Anyone try them?

Only €4 with two tapas bowls

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep very impressed with the Shark Razor Blades since I moved over to them and it's saving me a fortune as they are a fraction of the cost of the Gillette ones.

The Deodorant is very rough though, I can feel it burning my skin and typically it isn't sensitive.

i stopped buying the gillette blades ages ago was getting the viking shave club ones delivered for a while before i tried the lidil ones , saves an absolute bomb.

Showergel is good , the shampoo is a bit so so , i use if for my beard to be honest , but yeh totally agree the deodorant is absolutely woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Haha I always get this and I love it. I like hot food though.

Are they always available? They're by far my favourite frozen pizza. Absolutely delicious and surprisingly hot.
    I love spicy food though! :D

Heroditas wrote: »
    Are they always available? They're by far my favourite frozen pizza. Absolutely delicious and surprisingly hot.
    I love spicy food though! :D

They seem to be available a lot of the time but sometimes they aren't. I don't like the other frozen pizzas there except the football special one that has olives and bacon with goats cheese. They usually have that one during soccer tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Sorry for OT but roll-on deodorants for €1.50 in Dealz are a no brainer for me.

Really like the shaving gel in Lidl. Has a lovely fresh smell.

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Really like the shaving gel in Lidl. Has a lovely fresh smell.

Yeh its really good quality too i get really bad razor burn have quite sensitive skin literaly the Lidl shave gel is the only non gillett one ive found that i can actually use with getting a rash

Does anybody know if the blades fit a Mach 3 razor?

Does anybody know if the blades fit a Mach 3 razor?

no they don't its a different connection piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The saucisson from the French week selection I quite like. Then again, I do like salamis etc full stop:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Saucisson is fantastic but i would like it if they for once had another variety than the ones with nuts.
    Think i ate them too often and i am a bit in a "meh" state with them.

But a bottle of red wine, fresh baguette and saucisson... you can wake me up for that.
    And waking me up is usually punishable by death.

inforfun wrote: »
    Saucisson is fantastic but i would like it if they for once had another variety than the ones with nuts.
    Think i ate them too often and i am a bit in a "meh" state with them.

But a bottle of red wine, fresh baguette and saucisson... you can wake me up for that.
    And waking me up is usually punishable by death.

Well they had one with cheese this time too, for variety ;)

Spotted their own brand (Irish made) hot sauce and picked up a bottle. Haven't opened it until I use up what I have open. Anyone tried it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Spotted their own brand (Irish made) hot sauce and picked up a bottle. Haven't opened it until I use up what I have open. Anyone tried it?

I spotted that but haven't tried it.
    Good ingredients, should be similar to Frank's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Low fat potato salad. LOVELY. Chunky pieces but not rock hard lumps like Tesco's tends to be.

Had it today, appalling would be a generous description for it.

Had it today, appalling would be a generous description for it.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

• Advertisement

I tried the potato salad and thought it was lovely, nice and light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I'm a lazy reader.

I do like their bags of dried Penne Rigate. 47c or 49c for a bag that will feed 4.

Always keep a few in for the next ice age.

Bit of olive oil, garlic, herbs, can be knocked into something edible quite quickly.

I tired the salmon quiche from the french range and it was pretty nice. I also have a leek tart from the range in the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just spotted these new small pots of Skyr for 69 cent each.
    http://newtreats.blogspot.ie/2016/08/new-milbona-skyr-pots-lidl.html

Only tried the strawberry but it was lovely with real pieces of strawberry in it, and no added sugar (only 3.8g of sugar per 100g). Didn't see the plain one but hopefully they were just out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Just spotted these new small pots of Skyr for 69 cent each.
    http://newtreats.blogspot.ie/2016/08/new-milbona-skyr-pots-lidl.html

Only tried the strawberry but it was lovely with real pieces of strawberry in it, and no added sugar (only 3.8g of sugar per 100g). Didn't see the plain one but hopefully they were just out of stock.

They contain artificial sweeteners instead of sugar though.

The frozen apple strudel is pretty good for a pre-made product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I see Lidl are now doing some of their toiletries in a 'mini' range. Lotions, toothpaste etc. Handy if you're travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I see Lidl are now doing some of their toiletries in a 'mini' range. Lotions, toothpaste etc. Handy if you're travelling.
    Any aerosols will still be dumped so a bit pointless, your dentist will probably give you a small sample tube of toothpaste if they ask, I always grab a load of freebies at my checkups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Good idea, but I wish they'd do larger bottles too. For shower gel, anything less than 400ml size is a waste of time for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Good idea, but I wish they'd do larger bottles too. For shower gel, anything less than 400ml size is a waste of time for me.

The toiletries are practically the same price as the bigger bottles, the small bottle of mouthwash is the same price as a big bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

For anyone interested passata is back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

annie.t wrote: »
    For anyone interested passata is back

I am!

Thank all the gods.

We've been using the Tesco passata and it might as well be 1/4 vinegar.

Now, if only the 'Italiamo' (blue tinned) chopped tomatoes would return.

The huge single clove garlic seems to have gone - shame:(

fin12 wrote: »
    The toiletries are practically the same price as the bigger bottles, the small bottle of mouthwash is the same price as a big bottle.

Generally the way with mini-toiletries. That being said, they are often more expensive in some stores so even "same price" is a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lidls Deluxe Deli Style coleslaw for 99c is perfection, never buying anywhere else again. I love coleslaw and was finding it starting to taste a bit weird from a lot of places especially Aldi in recent times but this stuff is really excellent, like the deli kind you used to get years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can collect little bottles & jars and fill them with the big bottle for travelling. Like mini jam & honey jars or shampoos etc from hotels. The jars are good as you can get your finger in and get everything back out.

Back OT lidl version of tunnocks caramel bars are good, lidl on the top left

tunnocks_small-tile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

The pizza's are good value for certain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Space Dog wrote: »
    They contain artificial sweeteners instead of sugar though.

This.
    I only noticed that after I had bought 2.
    I honestly wish they would just make stuff less sweet, rather than adding these sweeteners. I just hate the taste of them :(

Italian week has arrived (again!)

It's one of my favourite of the "weeks" they do. The gelatos are nice and I always stock up on some of the dry ingredients such as polenta, risotto rice etc.

A few new offerings such as scamorza cheese and even a pasta machine for €19.99, should anyone want to give make your own pasta a try without splashing out massively.

Current range of products are here: http://www.lidl.ie/en/7330.htm

BuffyBot wrote: »
    even a pasta machine for €19.99, should anyone want to give make your own pasta a try without splashing out massively.

We got one of those years ago when our egg production was exceeding demand by about a dozen a day.

Guess what, the day it arrived the Gals went on one of their little work to rules and then someone else wanted eggs so :confused:.

Plus I kinda prefer the dried :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement