Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Also, unless your name is Pedro Pablo Sacristán, that story isn't yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Also, unless your name is Pedro Pablo Sacristán, that story isn't yours.

I am Pedro ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Classic :D:D

Twenty minutes to go and I'm still 5-2 down! :(

• Advertisement

Twenty minutes to go and I'm still 5-2 down! :(

Well maybe if you apologize to me....

Well done, bluewolf:o

thank you kindly good sir! good story though! :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    thank you kindly good sir! good story though! :)

Thankew. I was getting worried no-one liked it… I enjoyed yours too.

Mine was the best in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You definitely write well but I read your story too late. Feels too much like a fragment too, though maybe that's what you were going for (I know the word limit doesn't help anyone in this regard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I liked it, but I had to read it over a few times to actually kinda "get it".

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I liked it, but I had to read it over a few times to actually kinda "get it".

Thanks. Yeah, that happens with a few of my stories. I like puzzles. Hope it was worth the effort, though:)

Thanks. Yeah, that happens with a few of my stories. I like puzzles. Hope it was worth the effort, though:)

Ah it was more a case of getting my mind into the lingo they were using. The jist of it came across grand, but the finer points needed a re-read. I really liked it, but then read lil Wolfie's and suddenly wanted to buy the novel.

K brah's and brahittos, who's challenging the mighty Wolf next? :)

alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

An all-nighter, Permabear? Respect. :)

being able to sleep again is not helping the creative side of my brain :pac:

• Advertisement

okay this is really bad - sorry - just not working today!!!

"books and libraries"

Jake stepped into the dark, quiet library. There was no pretence at torchlight here; nobody who had access to this place needed light. He stood still for a moment, drinking in the pleasure of being so surrounded by these old tomes, these fonts of knowledge, the stillness. He had whiled away many hours here in peace, lost among the books. But he had work to do and urgent work at that. He knew the box had returned to their keeping, but he was not the only one ignorant of the plans for it. He was not sure if the whispered stories and myths of eternal night were true. He was not sure he wanted them to be true, despite his devotion. But on this matter, questions were not encouraged or even safe, so he must turn to research.

He gathered a small number of books, ones which seemed the most likely to set him on the right trail, and began to read from them. He met dead end after dead end. He’d known this knowledge would be kept hidden, secret, but this was frustrating. At last, a reference to a still-older codex looked promising. He retrieved it and stroked the cover gently with his fingertips. The name was long faded. He opened it and began to read.
    His expression changed as he reacted with gradual disbelief, fear, turning to horror. This book at last had what he was looking for, and he didn’t know if he would have preferred to stay ignorant.
    It seemed these stories might indeed be true. He would have to share this knowledge as soon as possible with a trusted few. What he read must not be allowed to happen. Worse, if he understood this correctly, some of these plans were already being set in motion.
    He looked up at a noise near the doorway. His eyes reflexively turned to black, but once he saw who it was, he recoiled in fear.
    "You – "
    The figure in the all-familiar black robes advanced inexorably.
    "Please – "
    "Books," said the newcomer at last, “can be a very dangerous thing, Jake. Fatal."
    Jake fell to the floor.
    A hidden listener might have heard a soft whisper of wind then; it may have been Jake’s final breath expelled from his body, or it may have been the shifting of the air as the other priest left the library, which was now missing a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

That was the hardest choice yet! But it came down to personal preference, I'd buy something like Permabears novel over bluewolfs other both are very intriguing and incredibly well-written :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has there been one reigning champion this whole time? I must read back over the thread...

Has there been one reigning champion this whole time? I must read back over the thread...

yes, look what you started!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

This thread was a great idea; I only wish I had the time to participate.

Strong round. Both pieces are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I don't know who to vote for, they're both so good. :o

oh lord 20 mins and a tie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spintendo

I went to thank Perma's story, but unfortunately I don't have enough posts! Two great efforts though, it must be said, and I'd like to challenge the victor.

• Advertisement

thanks again everyone :o:o:o:o

thanks again everyone :o:o:o:o

Let's rumble champ!

Hopefully you're sick to the teeth of writing by now :D

Theme: A New Beginning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

spintendo wrote: »
    I went to thank Perma's story, but unfortunately I don't have enough posts! Two great efforts though, it must be said, and I'd like to challenge the victor.

"A New Beginning", like your account eh, Spintendo?

Antilles wrote: »
    "A New Beginning", like your account eh, Spintendo?

And also like my reign as champ ;)

Probably not though :(

sorry but after last time I'm a tad wary of accepting challenges from a new poster

sorry but after last time I'm a tad wary of accepting challenges from a new poster

Understandable but I'm legit, I posted something I wrote already in this forum. Received no critique though unfortunately.

You are the champion though, so I'd imagine you get the final say? If necessary I'll bide my time.

• Advertisement

Understandable but I'm legit, I posted something I wrote already in this forum. Received no critique though unfortunately.

You are the champion though, so I'd imagine you get the final say? If necessary I'll bide my time.

I am not home til late tomorrow so I will have a think about it and get back to you tomorrow

I am not home til late tomorrow so I will have a think about it and get back to you tomorrow

No worries either way. I'm on holidays at the moment so I have plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 beglopty

new theme: paranoia

Let's rumble champ!

Hopefully you're sick to the teeth of writing by now :D

Theme: A New Beginning :D

okay, a new beginning it is

dont expect much this time though :pac:

• Advertisement

Fanny Burney - clap, clap, clap :pac:

i cant believe i missed that one :pac:

I caught it first time. Unlucky.

okay, a new beginning it is

dont expect much this time though :pac:

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't contain a box! :D

He had seen Éabha recently, on a rare pleasant afternoon. The sun had seemed to favour her smiling face as she passed him, all bronze legs and white teeth. Hi. A moment's passing and she occupied his mind for the rest of the day. What a sad little man I am, he thought to himself.

She had always liked him, and he knew this. In fact it unnerved him. Why couldn't he chase her, with the rare hope of success, rather than be forced to address her expectations, and surely let her down? She had said he was funny, and another time had sent him a kiss with lipstick on a piece of paper in the library while studying for exams. All in jest, the lads said, but he knew the score. The spark between two people only they can know, even without a word being spoken. Afraid of rejection, he feigned a haughty disinterest, which served only to intensify her efforts.

Éabha entered the club laughing and vibrant, animated with the carefree joy typical of those still in the first flush of youth. He had imbued himself with a healthy dose of Carpe Diem earlier that evening. Catching sight of her, his heart fluttered cruelly. Stumbling about in his thoughts he remembered a quote about it being better to regret doing something than to regret not doing something, but forgot it just as soon. Encounters like this made him uncomfortable, perhaps because though a man in age, he saw himself yet as a boy.

Her happy, enticing eyes reeled him in and gave him confidence. He made her laugh, but soon the time for jokes seemed to pass, and her eyes seemed to seek something else from him. But what use was he to such a perfect creature as her, a bronze Goddess whose loving touch he could never hope to feel? He makes as if to touch her but is betrayed by his trembling hand. In a moment she senses his anxiety and his whole manhood is laid bare for her to see, ugly and meek and pathetic . She is suddenly repulsed and walks away, making some poor excuse as she goes. Dying a little inside, he felt himself a victim of some ruthless sixth sense possessed by women, as if, predator-like, she had just seen his weakness and torn him to shreds as a lion would a baby gazelle.

He goes to leave, but some abstract force stops him at the door and he turns around. Éabha is beautiful, but there are many other beautiful girls in this bar. He feels a new, hitherto dormant part of himself suddenly awakening, as natural and as beautiful as the day's dawning, and is emboldened like never before. Walking over to a brunette, he asks her for a light, giving her the smile of a man who's worries are few, and whose heart is light. Her mischievous eyes twinkle receptively as she turns to him, and all of a sudden he feels strong and self-assured, every vestige of boyhood discarded from him like a beggar's rags, and now he goes in search of more fitting dress with which to frame his manhood.

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't contain a box! :D

A box... or THE BOX! DUn dun dunnnnnn! :D

Right lads, I am just in the door and this is not happening

Either I can post a story tomorrow evening or you can take this as my conceding :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I want to wait for the box. What say you spintendo? Oh and btw. Your phrase 'his whole manhood laid bare' stopped me in my tracks. He seemed like such a decent fellow up to that... :)

Right lads, I am just in the door and this is not happening

Either I can post a story tomorrow evening or you can take this as my conceding :)

I'd be happy enough to wait until tomorrow evening. I'd rather lose than win cheaply! :)
    Oryx wrote: »
    I want to wait for the box. What say you spintendo? Oh and btw. Your phrase 'his whole manhood laid bare' stopped me in my tracks. He seemed like such a decent fellow up to that... :)

:D

Yeah he has a bit of a wild side alright! :pac:

I'd be happy enough to wait until tomorrow evening. I'd rather lose than win cheaply! :)

That's the spirit sir, jolly good show :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement