Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

My pints are only reserved to BD/Client events, have a young elf myself.

Planning on a lot of training this weekend and with Eid next week I have a 5 day weekend which I hope to put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L'prof wrote: »
    Month 1: -2.6lbs
    Month 2: -2.8lbs
    Week 9: -1.8lbs
    Week 10: +2.8lbs

Great to undo last week and then some. So far being as strict as I can during the week seems to be paying off overall

Month 1: -2.6lbs
    Month 2: -2.8lbs
    Week 9: -1.8lbs
    Week 10: +2.8lbs
    Week 11: -4.2lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Nice work, that is some loss.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Nice work, that is some loss.

Thanks. I guess it’s easier to drop weight recently put on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,143 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Week 11: -4.2lbs

Over 4lbs in a week, fair play Prof, thats not an easy thing to do at all. My rate was always around 2lbs a week max, achieving double that is very impressive IMO.

Keep up the good work.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm finding lunches the hard thing to control lately. It's all too easy to pop out for a cheese toastie/McDonalds/Subway when you've nothing prepared!
    I seriously need to start planning and prepping my lunch.

Posy wrote: »
    I'm finding lunches the hard thing to control lately. It's all too easy to pop out for a cheese toastie/McDonalds/Subway when you've nothing prepared!

For me it wasnt the actual main meals (brekkie, lunch, dinner) that posed the problems, it was the snacking in between or the total loss of control at night sitting down watching tv & eating ALL the food!

I've managed to cut the snacking out in the last couple of weeks now though, other than the odd rice cake with coffee mid morning or with tea at night I'm pretty much sticking to mealtimes. Got blood test results back there last week & my cholesterol is a little higher than I'd like so have gone back to my healthier diet (had been throwing pizza's & suchlike in the oven after late nights more regularly for example) to get that back where I'd like it to be... suspect all the stollen pre christmas & fruit cake after it hasnt helped on that score!!

TLDR = you're bang on Posy, its all about planning, makes healthier eating far less of a chore.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I also need to prep too, but struggle to find the motivation. My problem is time, there are literally not enough hours in the day. I'm generally up and running around after three smallies for about two hours before I've had any breakfast and that is normally taken on the run. Then lunch can be hit and miss as I'm either doing creche/school collections or it's a work day and I try to get out for a walk or a run during lunch on those days. I actually feel like I need a time turner :P

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I also need to prep too, but struggle to find the motivation. My problem is time, there are literally not enough hours in the day. I'm generally up and running around after three smallies for about two hours before I've had any breakfast and that is normally taken on the run. Then lunch can be hit and miss as I'm either doing creche/school collections or it's a work day and I try to get out for a walk or a run during lunch on those days. I actually feel like I need a time turner :P

I know that feeling.

What we usually (I stress the usually as doesn't always happen) do is make a big batches of food on a Sunday to last a few days. We might make a big pot of homemade soup and then have it for a few days after.

We also make snacks like protein bars that we put in the fridge and then cut up into snack bite sizes. So when you are in a rush you have something healthy to eat quickly and reduces the temptation to just crab a few biscuits.

We're getting a Chinese takeaway in work tomorrow for lunch. D'oh. :D

• Advertisement

We're getting a Chinese takeaway in work tomorrow for lunch. D'oh. :D

Nice one. Wish I worked there :pac:

Just as well I’m fairly thick skinned. Someone at work scolding me for “only” having a bowl of porridge and a couple of eggs for breakfast :pac:

Just as well I’m fairly thick skinned. Someone at work scolding me for “only” having a bowl of porridge and a couple of eggs for breakfast :pac:

People passing comment on what I'm eating is actually a bug bear of mine, always feel deep down like its a derogatory comment, like 'you sure you should be eating that much' or are you sure you should be eating something that fattening/unhealthy' as in i'm clearly overweight & should be seen to be eaying a stick of celery & a glass of water or suchlike.... jog on & leave me in peace will ya...:pac:

DvB wrote: »
    People passing comment on what I'm eating is actually a bug bear of mine, always feel deep down like its a derogatory comment, like 'you sure you should be eating that much' or are you sure you should be eating something that fattening/unhealthy' as in i'm clearly overweight & should be seen to be eaying a stick of celery & a glass of water or suchlike.... jog on & leave me in peace will ya...:pac:

Massive bug bearer of mine. Happens to my wife a lot as she likes to eat healthy and work out so is quite thin. Some 'friends' comment to her along the lines of 'are you ok, you look v skinny' 'you're fading away' etc. She just laughs it off however it gets my blood up as these so call 'friends' could do with losing a few pounds however neither of us would ever dream of saying anything.

Sorry, rant over.

I feel off the wagon into a fat vat.

I had a week of alcohol and terrible food. Too afraid to weigh myself. I brought my gym gear for work today, I know its all about diet so I will attempt, as I have done many times on here, to get back on track.

L'prof, youre killing it.

Thanks Jude. You’re right about the food. That’s always been the hardest thing for me to tackle but with the gyms closed and me being busy at home and lazy it’s my last resort. Really looking forward to the gyms opening again as I had done pretty well right up until Covid hit. I can’t see myself going 4 or 5 times a week like before but if I get in 2 or 3 times I’ll be delighted

Embrace the scales man. Knowledge is key for me. I log my weight on a Wednesday but I’ll be on the scales nearly every day to see what damage eating a load of crap or drinking a hape of pints has done. I like logging Wednesday because it means I can jump on the scales Monday and if it’s bad I can be super strict for a couple of days and be able to rectify it somewhat

Anyway you know all this. You’ve done it all before and better than any of us. You’ll be doing it again in no time

Embrace the scales man. Knowledge is key for me. I log my weight on a Wednesday but I’ll be on the scales nearly every day to see what damage eating a load of crap or drinking a hape of pints has done. I like logging Wednesday because it means I can jump on the scales Monday and if it’s bad I can be super strict for a couple of days and be able to rectify it somewhat
    I weigh in too on Wednesdays, but have skipped the last 2 weeks.

I think I'll brave it this evening and take my head out of the sand! :eek:

I weigh in too on Wednesdays, but have skipped the last 2 weeks.

I think I'll brave it this evening and take my head out of the sand! :eek:

Weigh this evening and if it’s bad you have Mon & Tue to make up for it somewhat :D

Don't eat anything except water until Wednesday. Gotcha! :pac: :pac:

I will brave a weigh in tomorrow. It will not be pretty but will give me a kick in the bum

• Advertisement

Weighed myself this am. My goal is 80-82kg / 176-181lbs

01 May: 88.2kg /194.4lbs
    02 May: 87.4kg/192.7lbs
    18 May: 86.6kg/190.9lbs

I am finding the diet tough, a bit irritable. I have a BD/client night out where they expect to be wined and dined so that will knock me back a bit.

My hip is giving me a good bit of pain so shelving the runs for a bit. I need to keep myself in the arse and gym before work as I used to as there just is not enough time at lunch.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Weighed myself this am. My goal is 80-82kg / 176-181lbs

01 May: 88.2kg /194.4lbs
    02 May: 87.4kg/192.7lbs
    18 May: 86.6kg/190.9lbs

I am finding the diet tough, a bit irritable. I have a BD/client night out where they expect to be wined and dined so that will knock me back a bit.

My hip is giving me a good bit of pain so shelving the runs for a bit. I need to keep myself in the arse and gym before work as I used to as there just is not enough time at lunch.

Ah Jude, So for all the worry you actually lost nearly 2lbs over the last couple of weeks & nearly 2 kgs since the start of may. If thats doing all the wrong things it sounds to me like you're being too hard on yourself. Rather than the big gestures of big losses week on week why not try just doing the basics consistently & try & lose the lbs steadily?

Bizarrely since I stopped stressing & watching everything in detail I've relaxed considerably and have lost 4lbs based on this mornings weight (still carrying half a stone, but, meh.) I'm not dieting as such and have just cut out the junk & have gotten 3 or 4 runs/cycles in per week & I feel all the better for it. So have the night out, don't do the dog on it, get back to normal the next day & you'll be grand.

DvB wrote: »
    Ah Jude, So for all the worry you actually lost nearly 2lbs over the last couple of weeks & nearly 2 kgs since the start of may. If thats doing all the wrong things it sounds to me like you're being too hard on yourself. Rather than the big gestures of big losses week on week why not try just doing the basics consistently & try & lose the lbs steadily?

Bizarrely since I stopped stressing & watching everything in detail I've relaxed considerably and have lost 4lbs based on this mornings weight (still carrying half a stone, but, meh.) I'm not dieting as such and have just cut out the junk & have gotten 3 or 4 runs/cycles in per week & I feel all the better for it. So have the night out, don't do the dog on it, get back to normal the next day & you'll be grand.

Totally agree. I'm my own worst enemy for being too hard on myself. Getting the balance right between being good and also enjoying yourself is the key.

Cheers. I have been flogging myself to get to that. I also realise how brilliant it was to have a personal trainer, that was a Christmas/birthday present from 2019/2020.

The not boozing is very hard again. I fly home by the 10 July and want to be 82kg, 80kg would give me more room for messing on holidays.

Did a gym session at lunch. Will do one tomorrow, then drinking tomorrow evening.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Cheers. I have been flogging myself to get to that. I also realise how brilliant it was to have a personal trainer, that was a Christmas/birthday present from 2019/2020.

The not boozing is very hard again. I fly home by the 10 July and want to be 82kg, 80kg would give me more room for messing on holidays.

Did a gym session at lunch. Will do one tomorrow, then drinking tomorrow evening.

Just thinking, if you're going to have a few drinks, would you be able to not drink pints or wine & instead have gin & slimline tonic or something like that? Way, way lower in calories.

Yeah I am thinking of vodka lime and soda like a real alco. Begone stomach ulcer! It does make a huge difference. I have already thought about the large wings I will get and how it will effect my lunch calories tomorrow.

I love vodka, lime and soda. :D

I went to the shop first thing on Monday morning, got wholemeal pitta breads, salad, cheese, tomatoes, yoghurts etc and am having nice planned tasty, healthy lunches this week.
    And I've started logging my food again on the SW app until I'm properly back on track.

I feel so much better knowing that I'm eating well, and exactly what I'm eating, plus it's definitely more cost effective than heading out for a packaged sandwich/sub/McDonalds every day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I might try a vodka/lime/soda. I can only drink one night of the week because of a medication i take for nighttime pain relief. It cant be mixed with alcohol so it's keeping me on the straight and narrow. i've not eaten chocolate at all this week and have been generally good with my food intake. Hopefully it will show on the scales.

There are some lovely mocktail recipes online too, to play about with! There is even a non alcoholic cocktail called 'cuddles on the beach.' :pac:

https://www.brit.co/summer-mocktails
    https://lyres.eu/recipes/
    https://mixthatdrink.com/cuddles-on-the-beach

But even just soda water and lime with loads of ice, without the vodka is a nice refreshing drink.
    A fancy flavoured tonic water, with ice and a wedge of lemon, or a dash of blueberry/raspberry/peach syrup is also lovely, and nicer than just a bland glass of water! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'm 4 weeks into WW and 7.8lbs down. MIL passed away last week so that messed up diet plans a bit but still managed half a lb for the week. Funeral is this Saturday so this weekend won't be good either so I'm trying to be super careful with food until then.
    I definitely feel better though even with just the half stone gone (another 2.5st still to go) so have finally found my motivation.

Advertisement