Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring material for home gym with no odour

Options
  • 17-05-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

I had tried some rubber fleck mats for my home gym and found the odour very bad. I use the space as a home office so am in there a lot and got headaches from it and could smell it off my clothes afterwards. Ended up using an ozone machine to kill the smell after removing the mats.

Have very tough laminate on the floor (it's a granny flat) which is holding up fine even to 200Kg+ deadlifts but feel it's time to get a proper flooring sorted as that won't last. I use gymless for most gear and find him great, though he said rubber will give off odour and best bet is high density foam mats as there are versions that do and don't give off odour.

I got onto the also very helpful Martial Arts Mats and they gave good advice saying the higher density foam is EVA and that tends to give off odour in the initial period at least. They're sending me a sample of XPE foam which is odourless but less dense so they indicated may not be up to handling the deadlift weight.

So I'm kinda in a bind, get flooring that is great for heavy lifting but gives an odour which drives me nuts working from home, or get an odourless foam that may not be up to the job as it's more for martial arts etc. Are there any solutions anyone has come across that gives the win-win of solid for lifting but also odourless?

Lifting space is 3.0M x 2.4M so need 7.M square metres overall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

got some nice rubber matts, metre square from mcsport. Bit pricey bt if you wait a month until the gyms reopen you may get them cheaper. No smell, really good actually.
    Need to pick up some more weight myself, already a lot on adverts in anticipation of reopening, however people trying to get what they paid for them or even more. Not a chance, if your patient, the prices will come down a good bit - little off topic, anyway, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I bought 6 x 4 17mm thick rubber mats from martial arts mats. If the place is aired well the smell goes after a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Horse stall mats? Ones in my gym are odourless and great for lifting on. Only downside is they’re fairly heavy and cumbersome to move around. No idea what price would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cill94 wrote: »
    Horse stall mats? Ones in my gym are odourless and great for lifting on. Only downside is they’re fairly heavy and cumbersome to move around. No idea what price would be.

The 6 x 4 ones are 60 euro

Advertisement