Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing court due to Illness

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The punishment should be the punishment authorised by the court. The punishment should not be the court process... or lack thereof.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Hes turned up in court 3 times already. If the police are a no show again tomorrow then it deserves to be thrown out. Are you not reading how stressed the op is. Its not at all fair !

Thank you, i made a mistake but i am human. I thought i was ok but i wasn't and i hold my hands up.

Stressed? Do you know how "stressed" people are when their family members are killed by drunk drivers?
    It's not ok to be a drunk driver if you're "stressed". It doesn't excuse you. It doesn't mean you're allowed to not go to court or get off on a technicality.

I made one foolish mistake. If you want to know how stressed i am i thought of taking my own life last week !

quickbeam wrote: »
    Do you have somebody to go with you for moral support? Friends, family? Could make a world of difference not having to go alone.

I am going alone, i don't want to put pressure on someone else when i was in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Do you have somebody to go with you for moral support? Friends, family? Could make a world of difference not having to go alone.

I am going alone, i don't want to put pressure on someone else when i was in the wrong.
    Maybe it would be a good idea if someone did accompany you. A family member or friend. Maybe contact them before it gets too late. It's only 11.23pm.

• Advertisement

Maybe it would be a good idea if someone did accompany you. A family member or friend. Maybe contact them before it gets too late. It's only 11.23pm.

I don't want to bother people for a mistake i made myself. My Sister could go but she has enough things to do so i have to do it myself. If she went with me that would mean my elderly Mother taking care of two of her kids. It's my problem so i wouldn't like other people to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Let the barrister decide what way to handle it, if he thinks he can get you off take the opportunity. Don't worry about the morals of the situation you didn't hurt anyone, it sounds like it's already had a big impact and lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

On a side note, take a sick bag. Judge wouldn't like having to suspend court in order to clean up.

If you could locate Daenerys missing dragon and fly in on it, could really swing things around.

Mod
    Pls stay on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    On a side note, take a sick bag. Judge wouldn't like having to suspend court in order to clean up.

Have you seen a district court sitting in Dublin? a good % the 'audience' is either pissed and rowdy or strung out/stoned asleep and snoring. A bit of puke wouldn't phase many, might get a a laugh from the room at best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just on another note.
    Alcohol and medication for mental health issues don't bode well together.
    Mind yourself.

To thine own self be true

I don't want to bother people for a mistake i made myself. My Sister could go but she has enough things to do so i have to do it myself. If she went with me that would mean my elderly Mother taking care of two of her kids. It's my problem so i wouldn't like other people to get involved.
    It's only for a few hours. If your mother and sister knew how down and sick you feel I'm sure they would work it so one of them could accompany you. I really do think you need someone with you. Also I really hope after this been the 4th time that if the copper doesn't turn up yet again....that its thrown out of court.

Just on another note.
    Alcohol and medication for mental health issues don't bode well together.
    Mind yourself.

Oh i know that and i am addressing that problem too. Despite my foolish mistake i am getting all the help i need to try and fix everything.

Your up get suited and booted and down there early to meet your defence. Hopefully all over by this afternoon and you'll feel better no matter which way the cards fall.

Your up get suited and booted and down there early to meet your defence. Hopefully all over by this afternoon and you'll feel better no matter which way the cards fall.
    Yeah . Good luck for today. !

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Might be done by now?

Any word?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Might be done by now?

Any word?

Should be well done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hearings are often held in the afternoons with mentions and mitigations in the mornings.

Nightmare of a day. Got there early and i was called second but my barrister was stuck in another court so they put it till the end. Only home now.

As expected 3 year ban but the fine was quite low, €200.

Relieved it's all over.

Horrible place to be. I can say for sure i was the best dressed person in that room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Odelay

Nightmare of a day. Got there early and i was called second but my barrister was stuck in another court so they put it till the end. Only home now.

Relieved it's all over.

Horrible place to be. I can say for sure i was the best dressed person in that room.

Three year ban?? Was it your first time?

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    Three year ban?? Was it your first time?

Yes and my only ever conviction.

Yes and my only ever conviction.

3 months or 3 years?

3 months or 3 years?

He said 3yrs, Valium?

You can appeal in 18mts and might get it taken to 2.

He said 3yrs, Valium?

You can appeal in 18mts and might get it taken to 2.

3 years for drink driving seems to be a lot especially when the OP says it was the morning after that he was caught. The default punishment for the lowest scale of drink driving is a 3 month ban and €200 fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

You can get a three-year ban for a first offence for alcohol concentrations of -
    (a) Exceeding 150mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood
    (b) Exceeding 200mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine
    (c) Exceeding 66mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath

Legal limits are 50mg for alcohol, 67mg for urine, and 22mg for breath. So basically, three-year ban for anything above three times over the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Relieved it's all over.

Yeah there's no point getting dressed up, it doesn't help at all with your case and just makes you stick out and be more uncomfortable. I'd nearly swear the judges I seen are worse on people who come in dressed up (maybe they're thinking, 'Hmph, notions on him') whereas the scummers who rock up in hoodies and trackies never get a tough sentence.

The ban is long but the fine is really low. And it's over. Pretty good result.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Your legal team will advise you on legal options,
    if any
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement